Author Topic: Kindle Voyage First Impressions  (Read 68489 times)  

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Kindle Voyage First Impressions
« Reply #225 on: October 23, 2014, 03:00:54 pm »
Betsy  can you change the page display at the bottom of the screen with no issues?   I am just wondering if my Voyage touchscreen was defective.

Yes, I can.  I find, though, that a very light tap, almost on the edge of the bezel works best, and if I tap very lightly, it works consistently.  If I make a heavier or firmer tap, it doesn't work.  I think the area has a very small footprint, and if you tap too firmly, you cover the area AND the area outside it, which confuses it so it does nothing.

EDIT:  Remember, you can also change these by, within the book, tapping on the Menu icon in the top toolbar and then tapping on Reading Progress, which allows you to choose between the options.

Betsy
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 03:06:41 pm by Betsy the Quilter »
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #226 on: October 23, 2014, 03:07:56 pm »
    Yes, I can.  I find, though, that a very light tap, almost on the edge of the bezel works best, and if I tap very lightly, it works consistently.  If I make a heavier or firmer tap, it doesn't work.  I think the area has a very small footprint, and if you tap too firmly, you cover the area AND the area outside it, which confuses it so it does nothing.

Betsy

Ok thank you.   That might  have been my problem with the page press sensors too.  I could see part of my thumb covering part of the screen.

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #227 on: October 23, 2014, 03:09:54 pm »
    Note that I also edited my prior post to add that you can change the reading progress from the menu.  You probably know this, but other folk new to the Kindles might not! :D

Betsy

Offline MsScarlett

• View Profile
    « Reply #228 on: October 23, 2014, 03:41:57 pm »
    I just got mine ("Prince Caspian" ;D) today (hooray!) and from just a few minutes of playing around, my first impression is I *love* it!  I was not overly thrilled with either of the Paperwhites, and to me, the Voyage appears to be exactly what I wanted them to be.  The lighting is super--even all over the screen, no "splotchy" like I had with the PW.  I am not noticing any discoloration, either, it all looks pretty uniform to me.  Page turn sensors are fine after a little practice.  The text looks awesome--I felt the text on the PW seemed a bit washed out.  It is now charging and I will play with it more in a little while. 

Offline northofdivision

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #229 on: October 23, 2014, 05:13:08 pm »
    still waiting for mine but keep the impressions coming. for those of you that have it in hand, can you talk a little about the back, holding it (uncased), and your thoughts on the shiny top inch or so of it vs the rest of it being matte?
    Stanley
    =====
    Google Pixel, Ipad Mini4/5
    Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Oasis 7"
    Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura One 8", Likebook 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline lindnet

• Redding, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #230 on: October 23, 2014, 07:17:48 pm »
    still waiting for mine but keep the impressions coming. for those of you that have it in hand, can you talk a little about the back, holding it (uncased), and your thoughts on the shiny top inch or so of it vs the rest of it being matte?

The back of the Voyage is very nice and looks classy.  I'm not sure what you want to know about the shiny vs matte.....the matte part is rubbery feeling and it's nice to hold onto.  I will say that if fingerprints bother you, you might be annoyed.  Not only  by the back of it, but the front as well.  This Kindle is a huge print/smudge magnet.  The ones on the front clean off very easily, as do the ones on the shiny piece in the back.  The matte/rubbery part on the back?  Pretty hard to clean.

I read without a case, so I probably have more smudges than most people.
    Linda

Offline Tripp

• Kent, Washington
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #231 on: October 23, 2014, 08:31:47 pm »
      The matte/rubbery part on the back?  Pretty hard to clean.

I was really bothered by that.  But I took my eyeglasses cleaning cloth and a little eyeglasses spray and it got rid of all the smudges.   :D
    I was very careful not to spray near the power button though.

However, I am thinking about getting this:

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.
    -C. S. Lewis

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #232 on: October 23, 2014, 08:47:26 pm »

I haven't looked at the back of mine since I got it, so I forgot there was the shiny place.  I like the shape--it's very comfortable to hold.  The matte area probably contributes to the ease of holding.  The angled back means it's very easy to pick up from a table.  Other than that, I never look at the back, so it doesn't really matter to me, sorry.

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #233 on: October 23, 2014, 09:22:09 pm »
    I LOVE IT!!!  :D Toby's Adventure is small, thin, light, easy to hold naked, fast, responsive 95 % ( I think I go too fast at times) DARKER TEXT- a big improvement over "MY" PW1 & PW2, which looked washed out. I just discovered tonight that you can remove a book from a collection & then delete it OFF my V.! I am so excited about that. Now, I'll have the books that I want on my V. I couldn't do it with my PW's, because of the update. If it was in a collection, all I could do was to put it in another collection on my PW's. Also, what's different is that if you send a sample of a book or any book to your V, you won't see them if you have the collection's on. All you have to do is to tap on all or books at the top. The other tab being recent & you see your books/samples. On the PW's the books not in a collection would show up after the collections. I haven't read outdoors as it's been raining here. I've read in a lighted room & in the dark. The bad - not all of the fonts are as dark as before on the PW's. They should all be dark & bold. Some are darker, some lighter. Plus, the same size fonts as before on the previous kindles, so the text may be small or too large. I took the advice of a member here to remember to use the 1/3 rule to find the right spot. I tried my right finger on the next & my left finger on the previous page, using both hands in place. That also worked. Mostly, I just figured it out by practice.

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #235 on: October 24, 2014, 03:57:00 am »
    The things you people do with your Kindle. What about when you're dressed?

Too funny....  Today is third day with my Voyage.. I have found that it is a bit too wide for me to hold comfortably with one hand (I have small hands).  But two hands works fine.  I'm still planning to get a cover of some kind as soon as they make one that opens like a book.. Oberon maybe.  Also - my fabric band-aid pieces are working great to "feel" the page turn buttons in the dark.  SO far - no complaints at all.  Voyage is a gem!
    « Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 07:30:34 am by bordercollielady »

Offline lindnet

• Redding, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #236 on: October 24, 2014, 04:01:35 am »
    I was really bothered by that.  But I took my eyeglasses cleaning cloth and a little eyeglasses spray and it got rid of all the smudges.   :D

Thanks, I'll try the eyeglass cleaner. 

I looked at the skin, but it looks like it only covers the text part of the front?  Most of the smudges I'm seeing are on the black frame part, where you hold onto it.  Hopefully they'll come out with something that covers the whole front and repels prints.
    Linda

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #237 on: October 24, 2014, 04:23:02 am »
    I LOVE IT!!!  :D Toby's Adventure is small, thin, light, easy to hold naked, fast, responsive 95 % ( I think I go too fast at times) DARKER TEXT- a big improvement over "MY" PW1 & PW2, which looked washed out. I just discovered tonight that you can remove a book from a collection & then delete it OFF my V.! I am so excited about that. Now, I'll have the books that I want on my V. I couldn't do it with my PW's, because of the update. If it was in a collection, all I could do was to put it in another collection on my PW's. Also, what's different is that if you send a sample of a book or any book to your V, you won't see them if you have the collection's on. All you have to do is to tap on all or books at the top. The other tab being recent & you see your books/samples. On the PW's the books not in a collection would show up after the collections.

Hmmm... I haven't found any differences in how collections are handled.  I'll have to play with it.  Removing a book from a collection and then deleting it is definitely the same.

EDIT:
    I'm still not seeing any differences.  If I have "View" set to Books or All Items (the left setting of the two) and Sort by "Collection" (the right setting), my samples still show up.

If I view by "Collections" and sort by any method, ALL my collections show up, even the one I don't have set just for the V.

Perhaps if the only collections you have are the ones on the V, it works as you've said...but I have a bunch of devices with collections, and not all of them are the same. :D

Betsy
    « Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 04:30:43 am by Betsy the Quilter »

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #238 on: October 24, 2014, 04:41:16 am »

Echoing what others have said.

I don't notice fingerprints on the 'screen' part of the front at all. The ones from the 'bezel' part are easy to clean off with an eyeglass cleaner, 'fuzzy fingers'

or really any soft cloth. Breathe on it and buff. :)

I guess there are some smudges on the back but they don't bother me at all. . . . . and they're easy to clean the same way, both the shiny and 'matte' parts.

It IS very comfortable to hold even without a case/cover.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline maries

• View Profile
    « Reply #239 on: October 24, 2014, 04:51:08 am »
    Has anyone updated to the Voyage from the Kindle Keyboard?    I love the screen on my KK so the built in light has never been a must have.    I think I might be happy with the new Kindle without the light other than maybe the ppi.   I'm not sure how many ppi the KK has to compare.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #240 on: October 24, 2014, 05:13:08 am »
    The ppi has gone up with every device since the first one. So I'm pretty sure the current basic has a higher density than the keyboard, though I can't find that info readily on the keyboard via Amazon as they no longer sell it new . . . . hang on . . . .

According to wikipedia the keyboard has 167 ppi which is the same as the new basic kindle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle#Kindle_Keyboard
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #241 on: October 24, 2014, 05:21:03 am »

or really any soft cloth. Breathe on it and buff. :)

I love my Fuzzy Fingers....I don't use any cleaner or anything, just the FFs.

Betsy

Offline maries

• View Profile
    « Reply #242 on: October 24, 2014, 05:49:10 am »
    The ppi has gone up with every device since the first one. So I'm pretty sure the current basic has a higher density than the keyboard, though I can't find that info readily on the keyboard via Amazon as they no longer sell it new . . . . hang on . . . .

According to wikipedia the keyboard has 167 ppi which is the same as the new basic kindle.

Thanks, Ann.   You're awesome.   Maybe Best Buy will have both and I can check them out side by side.   

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #243 on: October 24, 2014, 06:03:40 am »
    Thanks, Ann.   You're awesome.   Maybe Best Buy will have both and I can check them out side by side.   

Don't expect to see the keyboard model -- it's not for sale any more. :(  The Best Buy near me did have the new basic on display, but not the paperwhite or voyage. I didn't ask if there were any in stock as I wasn't going to purchase anyway.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #244 on: October 24, 2014, 06:12:01 am »
    But her BB might have both the Voyage and the Basic...and she could compare the two to see if the difference in PPI is important.

Betsy

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #245 on: October 24, 2014, 06:13:11 am »

Yes, everything from Kindle 2 forwards (except Paperwhites, Voyage and DX) are basically using iterations of the same screen. Generational differences mostly being better blacks.

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #246 on: October 24, 2014, 06:14:43 am »
    Hey, I can somewhat join the club. I have a Kindle Voyage origami cover now. :D

It is small, judging from the footprint of the case, I'll give that... Posted some pics in the cover / case reviews forum (link in my signature).

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #247 on: October 24, 2014, 06:44:29 am »

Spray the cloth instead of the device - I do that with all my devices these days.
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

Offline northofdivision

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #248 on: October 24, 2014, 09:25:18 am »
    Good stuff, thanks. As for one hand operation, the voyage looks sleek. Can any of you who have had the basic kindle (baby) and held it in one hand compare it to the voyage in hand (naked, of course  ;) ...very much against skins, screen protectors, cases, etc)?
    Stanley
    =====
    Google Pixel, Ipad Mini4/5
    Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Oasis 7"
    Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura One 8", Likebook 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

Online Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #249 on: October 24, 2014, 11:06:50 am »
    Good stuff, thanks. As for one hand operation, the voyage looks sleek. Can any of you who have had the basic kindle (baby) and held it in one hand compare it to the voyage in hand (naked, of course  ;) ...very much against skins, screen protectors, cases, etc)?

It's actually easier to get to the page press sensors than the buttons on the baby.  On the babty, the buttons are small and along the outer edge of the device. 
    On the Voyage, the page press sensors are on the top of the bezel and you can actually let your finger rest on the sensor and then just press down to turn the page.
    I had to adjust mine to be a light touch with heavy feedback and I am still learning how to hold it so I don't accidentally touch the screen with my thumb as I push on the sensor.  But the Voyage feels more comfortable in my hand.  It may have something to do with the angled back.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement