Author Topic: Kindle Voyage First Impressions  (Read 68495 times)  

Offline Vicki G.

• Houston, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Voyage First Impressions
« Reply #250 on: October 24, 2014, 12:32:58 pm »
The Voyage and the Baby Kindle 5 are the same size in sq. in. (width and length) but the Voyage is much thinner, flatter.  If they are laid side by side, the Voyage isn't that much thinner but it is thinner, and because it is kinda boxy, for lack of a better word, it feels even thinner.  And I just thought the Baby was little.  As far as weight, the baby is the lightest at 5.8, Voyage is 6.3. :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Tripp

• Kent, Washington
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #251 on: October 24, 2014, 04:50:08 pm »
    I looked at the skin, but it looks like it only covers the text part of the front?  Most of the smudges I'm seeing are on the black frame part, where you hold onto it.  Hopefully they'll come out with something that covers the whole front and repels prints.

If I get this, I will use it for the back only as I think I can keep the screen relatively clean.  It is kind of hard to tell from the picture, but there is one skin for the back that covers the whole thing and the one for the front covers only the text portion as you noticed. 

(Make your own reading bar)

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.
    -C. S. Lewis

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #252 on: October 24, 2014, 07:46:28 pm »
    FearIndex - LOL!  :o
    Betsy - on my PW's, if I delete a book in a collection, the book's cover will remain in the collection. If the cover is shown & I press & hold on the cover (in the cloud) I get a pop-up box that says Add To Home, Add to Collection, or Book Description. If the book is on my Device, the pop-up says Add to Collection, Go To, Book Description, Search This Book, View Bookmarks, or Remove from Device. The former only puts the book in the cloud, but the cover is still in my collection. On the V, the books's in the cloud & no greyed out cover in my collection. Betsy, can I delete a book in a collection on my PW & not have the greyed out cover showing? If so, let me know how to do it.
    Battery life is fantastic on the V.

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #253 on: October 24, 2014, 11:30:19 pm »
    Well I decided that maybe my first Voyage had a bad touchscreen, and that's why it was not very responsive. So I went to a local Best Buy and bought another Voyage.  Unfortunately it did not make it past the Best Buy parking lot before I returned it.  As soon as I turned it on it had a hole in the middle of the screen that lit up like a flashlight.  I also noticed the bottom of the screen was brighter then the top part of the screen.  Giving up for now..

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
      • View Profile
    « Reply #254 on: October 25, 2014, 01:27:58 am »
    Well I decided that maybe my first Voyage had a bad touchscreen, and that's why it was not very responsive. So I went to a local Best Buy and bought another Voyage.  Unfortunately it did not make it past the Best Buy parking lot before I returned it.  As soon as I turned it on it had a hole in the middle of the screen that lit up like a flashlight.  I also noticed the bottom of the screen was brighter then the top part of the screen.  Giving up for now..

I agree mine had a couple spots that didn't recognize touch but the clincher was at 6PM yesterday when I went to read the light failed to come on. I did a hard reboot and that fixed it but that's like 3 reboots in 3 days, I promise myself before I bought this that I was not getting into a back and forth with Amazon with kindles and I just returned it to best buy. I'm sorta disappointed but it goes to a principal I have developed since I retired, keep it simple. These new devices are getting too many bells and whistles that IMO are really nice but I can't go through the aggravation as a tester till they get it right. I read on my basic k7 and was happy, all I want to do is read...
    Larry

Offline J.D. Fournier

• View Profile
    « Reply #255 on: October 25, 2014, 06:17:14 am »
    The voyage is definitely more susceptible to accidental page turns because of the flush screen. Previously it was really easy to stay on the bezel and not  touch the screen. But now it is very easy to accidentally drift into the screen and trigger a page turn. I typically hold it in the bottom anyway which greatly reduces the chances.

Offline kevinpars

• View Profile
    « Reply #256 on: October 25, 2014, 06:26:54 am »
    I got the Kindle Voyage on release day and am very happy with it.  Here are some thoughts.

I think that there is at times a slight difference between the top half and the bottom half of the screen.  It is very subtle and I honestly think I would not have noticed it if I had not obsessively read all the review boards here and elsewhere and read the complaints.  Most of the time it is not noticable so I am not going to return it.  My personal opinion is that if you get a V and the screen bothers you - then you have a legitimate issue.  I don't.  It may be that the lighting difference on mine is so subtle that it is a non issue or it may be that my eyes just don't pick it up like others.  Everyone is different - for example I can listen to a local band play and enjoy the music but to someone with perfect pitch it may be like fingernails on a blackboard.

I have compared the screen on the Voyage to my PW2 and my wife's PW1 as well as to my wife's Kindle Keyboard.  At first I could notice a little difference between the V and the PW2.  But after a few days I went back to the PW2 and for the first time noticed some uneven lighting on it as well as seeing the fonts as not being as clear as on the V.  I am very pleased with the increase in resolution and the improved text.  The PW2 looks just a little fuzzy to me now that I have used the V for 3 days.

I like the page turn buttons as well.  When reading the V 'naked' I find that the buttons are placed perfectly.  When using my cover (perhaps because it is a Verso made for PW) I find that the page forward is a little lower than my thumb placement - but not a big deal - and I have adjusted.  And I am not bothered by not seeing the line and dot when reading in the dark.  After a little while muscle memory knows where the forward and back locations are on the kindle.  I also actually discovered that with the Verso cover that I can press down on top of the V over the location of the 'On' button and turn it on and off with no problems with a slight press - which saves me from having to get a new cover.

I have experimented with the automatic lighting settings but have discovered that while it functions OK, I prefer to set my own light settings.  I also feel like the auto adjust for night reading is a nice idea but that my eyes adjust to a dimmer light faster than the V settings do.

I appreciate the lighter and smaller form factor of the V.  It is smaller but feels solid.  I also like the glass front.  It looks like the eink is closer to the glass and that there are less layers between the ink and the glass than in previous versions.  I read a review that said the same thing - it is almost like the eink is just under the glass.  Very clear and easy to read.

Overall i think this:  The Kindle Voyage is a step up from the PW2.  I am not sure it was as big a step as some people expected or that the price difference is 'worth it' to all readers.  I would say that it is more like moving from a Camry to an Avalon rather than from a Camry to a Lexus - to use a car metaphor.  I also think that Amazon typically improves the software on the new Kindles with the first and second update - not  only adding the new features that were promised but also various improvements in speed and just overall fine-tuning that I find noticable - and i expect that to happen with the Voyage as well.

My main disappointment is the same pointed out by other readers - not enough font size choices!  I went ahead and send a note to the Kindle team to put in my two cents on this matter.  The jump between the 5th and 6th largest font sizes in particular is a little too big and we could benefit from more choices.  Kobo does it so why not Kindle?  A slider to allow us to select the perfect size should be available.  There should also be more fonts - heck I would even be willing to pay a few bucks for more fonts in the Kindle Store if they were available.   I encourage others who feel this way to also email Amazon and maybe eventually they will listen to us and do something about it.

Offline sseverus

• View Profile
    « Reply #257 on: October 26, 2014, 07:58:13 am »
    Got my Voyage on the 21st. Returned it on the 24th. Although there were many things I liked about the Voyage I found that the contrast (blackness) was inferior to my other Kindles. Perhaps I just got a substandard screen, I don't know. But when I put my Kindles side by side the Voyage was not my preferred Kindle. Not good for something so expensive. The increased text sharpness seems to have come at the expense of thinner & lighter fonts. In my mind readability is more important than a long feature list. And Amazon could greatly improve Kindle readability by having it's software developers concentrate on providing improved font customization (size & type).

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #258 on: October 26, 2014, 08:30:59 am »
    Got my Voyage on the 21st. Returned it on the 24th. Although there were many things I liked about the Voyage I found that the contrast (blackness) was inferior to my other Kindles. Perhaps I just got a substandard screen, I don't know. But when I put my Kindles side by side the Voyage was not my preferred Kindle. Not good for something so expensive. The increased text sharpness seems to have come at the expense of thinner & lighter fonts. In my mind readability is more important than a long feature list. And Amazon could greatly improve Kindle readability by having it's software developers concentrate on providing improved font customization (size & type).

I also returned my Voyage but not for this reason.  The text on the Voyage was "slightly" darker and somewhat sharper then on our two Paperwhites.
    « Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 09:52:21 am by CAR »

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

Offline geko29

• View Profile
    « Reply #259 on: October 26, 2014, 09:41:07 am »
    My screen is gorgeous, and I'm in love again, in a way I haven't been since my original Kindle showed up more than 6 years ago.  However, mine appears to be buggy.  The interface crashed once (repeatedly said "application has stopped" or something like that, with only an OK button, which then reappeared upon pushing OK or trying to do anything else), and twice has simply locked up.  In all cases it's required a hard restart (hold power button for 15 seconds).  In the initial instance, holding it for 5 seconds brought up a cancel/restart/screen off menu, but selecting any option did nothing.  I'm halfway through the book I started last night, so I'll keep an eye out to see if it's a media issue or a device issue, but this is definitely the most trouble I've had with a new kindle, out of 5 e-readers and 3 tablets.

I'll probably return this one either way, however, that's both good and bad.  If the problems I'm  having are book-related or a software-update away from being fixed, I'm actually thinking this is my long-term one, and I might want to swap out the wifi/SO for a 3G/no SO.  If it's bad it's just bad.  But if it's a sample defect, return to option 1.  The experience is just so good that going straight wifi might be a false economy in the long term.  We'll see how it shakes out.

Edit:  HA!  Literally 30 seconds after completing this post, it locked up again.  This time the "restart" option did respond after the 5-second press of the power button.  Unfortunately it just resulted in going permanently to a blank white (lit) screen.  Back to the 15-second hold and a full restart...deleted and re-downloaded the book to find out if that's the problem.

My lockups continue, at the rate of 5-8 hard resets per day.  So this morning I requested a return for refund...but not all is lost!  The reason I requested a refund instead of replacement is because I ordered a 3G/SO to replace it.  Lockups aside, I love the hardware so much that I expect it to be my daily driver for years to come, and therefore want the extra flexibility of the 3G.  So that's scheduled to arrive by Dec 1 at the latest.  The good news is, I have until November 24th to return the defective one.  So there won't be too much of a gap.

Offline drew0020

• View Profile
    « Reply #260 on: October 26, 2014, 07:17:04 pm »
    I really don't understand how Amazon signs off on such a shoddy product. I mean the final design must be showed off to Jeff Bezos. I don't see such an intelligent man signing off on something that looks so below average.  I'd never let my company ship such a substandard product.

I'd gladly pay up to $500 for a Voyage that was 90% white. I don't even think I am that picky. Guess it's back to hardcover books for me. The pages are always the same color at least.

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
    « Reply #261 on: October 26, 2014, 07:25:22 pm »
    I really don't understand how Amazon signs off on such a shoddy product. I mean the final design must be showed off to Jeff Bezos. I don't see such an intelligent man signing off on something that looks so below average.  I'd never let my company ship such a substandard product.

I'd gladly pay up to $500 for a Voyage that was 90% white. I don't even think I am that picky. Guess it's back to hardcover books for me. The pages are always the same color at least.

I guess it must say something about my intelligence that I love such a shoddy, substandard product....

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

Offline drew0020

• View Profile
    « Reply #262 on: October 26, 2014, 07:36:28 pm »
    I guess it must say something about my intelligence that I love such a shoddy, substandard product....
    i wasn't questioning anyone's intelligence on this board but rather Amazon as a company. The reviews even on their website are all over the board. Rare for a homegrown product. Between the iffy screen quality and the quirky operating system I stand by my comments. I don't want to make it personal for thse who can overlook these significant flaws (in my opinion of course). This is coming from a person who has owned every Kindle except the original.
    « Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 07:38:12 pm by drew0020 »

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #263 on: October 26, 2014, 08:27:30 pm »
    i wasn't questioning anyone's intelligence on this board but rather Amazon as a company. The reviews even on their website are all over the board. Rare for a homegrown product. Between the iffy screen quality and the quirky operating system I stand by my comments. I don't want to make it personal for thse who can overlook these significant flaws (in my opinion of course). This is coming from a person who has owned every Kindle except the original.

I returned my Voyage because it may have had a faulty touchscreen, and it felt a little small for my hands. But do I think it was a "shoddy, substandard product"?  The answer would be no absolutely not!  As matter of fact I still may buy another one in a couple months.

E-ink readers are a very personal item.  The young girl that sold me the Voyage at Best Buy was very nice and helpful,  but she had no clue what a E-ink reader was, she kept calling it a tablet.  :'(   Also I am not sure what you mean by "quirky operating system"  The Voyage has basically the same operating system as the Basic Kindle and the Paperwhite 2.  The only comments I see about the operating system is lack of font and formatting options.

I think the Voyage design was solid.  If history with the Paperwhite holds true, the first production run screen issues will improve.  And who knows Amazon may come out with a official book style cover yet :)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 08:30:10 pm by CAR »

Offline Meka

• Las Vegas, NV
      • View Profile
    « Reply #264 on: October 26, 2014, 08:27:36 pm »
    Happy dance...my Voyage was waiting for me on the porch when I got home from work today. Compared to my PW1 the Voyage is sleeker, lighter, zippier,  screen is sharper and I can even read one font size smaller than on my PW1. I'm LOVING it!!!  :D

Sent from my Galaxy Mega using Tapatalk
    « Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 08:34:59 pm by Meka »

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #265 on: October 26, 2014, 08:32:20 pm »
    That's great, Meka!
    Carr, sorry for your defective V.

Offline drew0020

• View Profile
    « Reply #266 on: October 26, 2014, 11:48:29 pm »
    I returned my Voyage because it may have had a faulty touchscreen, and it felt a little small for my hands. But do I think it was a "shoddy, substandard product"?  The answer would be no absolutely not!  As matter of fact I still may buy another one in a couple months.

E-ink readers are a very personal item.  The young girl that sold me the Voyage at Best Buy was very nice and helpful,  but she had no clue what a E-ink reader was, she kept calling it a tablet.  :'(   Also I am not sure what you mean by "quirky operating system"  The Voyage has basically the same operating system as the Basic Kindle and the Paperwhite 2.  The only comments I see about the operating system is lack of font and formatting options.

I think the Voyage design was solid.  If history with the Paperwhite holds true, the first production run screen issues will improve.  And who knows Amazon may come out with a official book style cover yet :)

I surprisingly liked the origami cover. I loved the old style amazon cover but you should give the origami cover a try. I was against it but it exceeded my expectations.

Offline dowisetrepla

• View Profile
    « Reply #267 on: October 27, 2014, 02:10:42 am »
    I surprisingly liked the origami cover. I loved the old style amazon cover but you should give the origami cover a try. I was against it but it exceeded my expectations.

Same here, I didn't think I would like it but I ordered it anyway just to try it out & now I absolutely love it. I love how compact it is & that when you flip the cover back it sticks to the back of the case rather than just swinging there like the old cover.

Offline WilliamM

• View Profile
    « Reply #268 on: October 27, 2014, 05:51:48 am »
    Ill probably be sending mine back and keeping my Kindle keyboard if only because of the overall size of the unit.I dont have large hands but found it too small to hold comfortably. Other than that I did not experience any issues with the screen. I did find the the font to be thinner and although sharper not as dark as on my Kindle keyboard. Doesnt make sense but everyones eyes are different I guess.
    I did like the auto brightness though. The pressure buttons were nice too
    « Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 05:58:00 am by WilliamM »

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #269 on: October 27, 2014, 05:53:23 am »
    I like the Origami cover, too. I like to read at the table with the Kindle propped up, so this is perfect for me.

L

Leslie Nicoll

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #270 on: October 27, 2014, 06:02:57 am »

Unfortunately, your post very much implied that the rest of us must be idiots for liking the thing, sorry. Perhaps you didn't mean it that way, but it's notoriously difficult to read tone in the written word. :( Even this post, to me, feels like you're saying that those of us who do like it are 'overlooking significant flaws'. But I disagree completely: I don't feel there are any significant flaws, so I'm not overlooking anything. (Or maybe I really am oblivious: if that's the case, I'm happily so. ;) )

Amazon reviews are generally 'all over the board' -- in the case of the Voyage (at this time) there are 74 5-star reviews, 23 4-star reviews and 18, 19, and 15 3-, 2-, and 1- star ratings respectively. That's pretty positive and about on par with previous kindles. I wouldn't expect everybody to like it -- that's unrealistic.

I don't find the screen quality 'iffy' at all. It's clear and sharp; an improvement over my PW2013 by a small amount, but the lighting is much better -- very even across the whole page. Nearly perfect.  And the operating system is, as far as I've been able to discern, essentially the same as the PW except for added features like the automatic light adjustment and the page turn 'buttons'. Nothing quirky to me.

From my perspective, it's absolutely NOT a shoddy, substandard product. The screen is beautiful. It works as designed and feels sturdy. It's the best kindle yet, in my opinion. That said, I'm still working out the best way to hold it and trying to decide whether I need a cover. And still evaluating the automatic lighting adjustment.  At some point, I may decide that feature really doesn't work for me. ::)

The BIGGEST non-positive is the price. I've decided it's worth it to me and I'm keeping mine -- it's a bit of a splurge I recognize that I am fortunate that I can elect to spend some 'discretionary' funds this way -- but I totally understand the folks who've decided that, while an improvement over the paperwhite, it's not THAT big of an improvement and maybe not worth that much more money. $200 is a significant amount and higher than the last few kindle iterations have led us to expect.

You know, I wanted to like it. :( I do like it on my 7"Fire, but I am unlikely to need to prop up my kindle -- I generally hold it to read. And I have a clever, compact stand for when I do want to prop it on a table while I'm eating or something. But, mostly, I really really don't like the top hinge. No complaint about the quality or weight, and it does work as designed, it's just that I want a cover to open like a book. And, unless I'm taking notes in an old steno notebook, that's not how a book opens in my world. :D

I've tried to work out why it seems so wrong to me and all I can come up with is that, for a device that's advertised as being as close to a book page as they can make it, it seems an odd choice to then design a cover that makes it very much NOT book-like. I'll definitely be sharing my thoughts with Amazon, which I urge everyone to do -- about the device or the cover or whatever. Reviews are one thing, but if you want to make sure they hear you, send to [email protected] :)

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:05:03 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline drew0020

• View Profile
    « Reply #271 on: October 27, 2014, 09:03:42 am »
    Unfortunately, your post very much implied that the rest of us must be idiots for liking the thing, sorry. Perhaps you didn't mean it that way, but it's notoriously difficult to read tone in the written word. :( Even this post, to me, feels like you're saying that those of us who do like it are 'overlooking significant flaws'. But I disagree completely: I don't feel there are any significant flaws, so I'm not overlooking anything. (Or maybe I really am oblivious: if that's the case, I'm happily so. ;) )

Amazon reviews are generally 'all over the board' -- in the case of the Voyage (at this time) there are 74 5-star reviews, 23 4-star reviews and 18, 19, and 15 3-, 2-, and 1- star ratings respectively. That's pretty positive and about on par with previous kindles. I wouldn't expect everybody to like it -- that's unrealistic.

I don't find the screen quality 'iffy' at all. It's clear and sharp; an improvement over my PW2013 by a small amount, but the lighting is much better -- very even across the whole page. Nearly perfect.  And the operating system is, as far as I've been able to discern, essentially the same as the PW except for added features like the automatic light adjustment and the page turn 'buttons'. Nothing quirky to me.

From my perspective, it's absolutely NOT a shoddy, substandard product. The screen is beautiful. It works as designed and feels sturdy. It's the best kindle yet, in my opinion. That said, I'm still working out the best way to hold it and trying to decide whether I need a cover. And still evaluating the automatic lighting adjustment.  At some point, I may decide that feature really doesn't work for me. ::)

The BIGGEST non-positive is the price. I've decided it's worth it to me and I'm keeping mine -- it's a bit of a splurge I recognize that I am fortunate that I can elect to spend some 'discretionary' funds this way -- but I totally understand the folks who've decided that, while an improvement over the paperwhite, it's not THAT big of an improvement and maybe not worth that much more money. $200 is a significant amount and higher than the last few kindle iterations have led us to expect.

I apologize for the tone of my post.  I was thinking more of it like I was the owner of the company, but I should have been more careful because an internet post can be interpreted in many different ways. I love e-readers and am very passionate about them.  I remember the good old days when e-ink looked just like paper, the screens were uniform, and there was never a worry when I opened the package of will I get a good screen or not. 

The implementation of the backlight (in my opinion) has seemed to create more quality control problems including shadowing, color variation, and pinholes.  Each one of these defects impacts end users in different ways and some people are bothered by them while others are not.

I felt like Amazon improved the PW2 significantly from the PW1, but now with the Voyage the screens are all over the place (from the reports on here and from Amazon.com reviews).  I have seen a few Kindle Voyages and all had a significant degree of hue variation from top to bottom.  I don't even have a problem with the price and was hopeful that this would allow Amazon to have implemented much better technology and QA.

I love the slim physical design, the page turn buttons, and the increased resolution, but in the end the Voyage is really only about one thing the screen.  If there is unit to unit screen uniformity variations then that becomes a problem to myself and many others.  I understand nothing is perfect and there will be some issues, but they should be minor.  Unfortunately the Voyages I have seen were not minor at all and were very bothersome to me in all but the brightest day light situations.

You know, I wanted to like it. :( I do like it on my 7"Fire, but I am unlikely to need to prop up my kindle -- I generally hold it to read. And I have a clever, compact stand for when I do want to prop it on a table while I'm eating or something. But, mostly, I really really don't like the top hinge. No complaint about the quality or weight, and it does work as designed, it's just that I want a cover to open like a book. And, unless I'm taking notes in an old steno notebook, that's not how a book opens in my world. :D

I've tried to work out why it seems so wrong to me and all I can come up with is that, for a device that's advertised as being as close to a book page as they can make it, it seems an odd choice to then design a cover that makes it very much NOT book-like. I'll definitely be sharing my thoughts with Amazon, which I urge everyone to do -- about the device or the cover or whatever. Reviews are one thing, but if you want to make sure they hear you, send to [email protected] :)

I don't love the origami cover, but I was more impressed with it than I thought I would be.  I also prefer the book opening style that you are referencing similar to the PW1 and 2 Amazon cover.  I wish Amazon created both so people would have a choice.
    « Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:06:48 am by drew0020 »

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #272 on: October 27, 2014, 12:30:36 pm »
    Also one more note about the Voyage design.   I highly doubt we will see any Kindles made smaller then the Voyage.  It is my opinion that the bezel on the Voyage may have pushed the limits as it is.  I know it felt a little small to me.
    « Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 01:22:08 pm by CAR »

Offline JosieGirl71

• View Profile
    « Reply #273 on: October 27, 2014, 01:03:34 pm »
    Also one more note about the Voyage design.   I highly doubt we will see Kindle smaller then the Voyage.  It is my opinion that the bezel on the Voyage may have pushed the limits as it is.  I know it felt a little small too me.

The size is the only thing that makes me want to send mine back and wait to see what Amazon does next.

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #274 on: October 27, 2014, 01:35:43 pm »

The implementation of the backlight (in my opinion) has seemed to create more quality control problems including shadowing, color variation, and pinholes.  Each one of these defects impacts end users in different ways and some people are bothered by them while others are not.

I always feel compelled to correct this - the Paperwhite and Voyage (and the Nook Glo and the Kobo lit devices) are not backlit.  They're lit from the front.   ;)
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

KBoards.com

• Advertisement