Author Topic: Kindle Voyage First Impressions  (Read 68488 times)  

Offline drew0020

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Voyage First Impressions
« Reply #275 on: October 27, 2014, 01:36:35 pm »
I always feel compelled to correct this - the Paperwhite and Voyage (and the Nook Glo and the Kobo lit devices) are not backlit.  They're lit from the front.   ;)
You are correct. I apologize for my error :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline northofdivision

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #276 on: October 27, 2014, 02:36:44 pm »
    E-ink readers are a very personal item.

Excellent point, Car. I think it's the most important takeaway from this thread so far. I think it's important for us to embrace those who don't like it or have significant problems with it. I mean, it's a thread that says "first impressions" not "let's refute any negative thing said about the new kindle". And for drew, maybe an "I feel like it's a shoddy..." and that would be that. I know from past experience I thought the Paperwhite 1 was absolutely awful and reserve that "shoddy" comment to it from my perspective. There was a thread called Defective Paperwhites and instead of it being an open space to discuss concerns, people got on that thread and felt the need to refute anything bad about the Paperwhite. I think everyone is in agreement with Car's statement. I think everyone on this site, almost ubiquitously, loves what Amazon is doing in the E-reading department and genuinely is invested in the products so why not embrace the negative with the great too? I can't wait to get my hands on a Voyage to jump into this conversation properly and appreciate all the great comments assisting those of us who don't have our hands on it yet. 

Origami cover. If you all had a chance to have the previous version amazon case on your Voyage, would you still go with this Origami thing?

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:47:41 pm by northofdivision »
    Stanley
    =====
    Google Pixel, Ipad Mini4/5
    Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Oasis 7"
    Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura One 8", Likebook 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline katy32

• Ohio
      • View Profile
    « Reply #277 on: October 28, 2014, 12:39:53 pm »
    it's here and it is amazing.  I'm upgrading from the original paperwhite and I can't believe how much of a difference there is

Offline derek alvah

• View Profile
    « Reply #278 on: October 28, 2014, 07:00:46 pm »
    Origami cover. If you all had a chance to have the previous version amazon case on your Voyage, would you still go with this Origami thing?

I do not like the origami cover at all. I would go for the previous style Amazon cover without a second thought. I need a book style cover to read comfortably. 

Offline DawnB

• California, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #279 on: October 28, 2014, 09:07:13 pm »
    I just got my Voyage today. I really love the screen, the lighting & that size. Now I just have to wait for my AO3 Case.

I wish that ever time I add a book I didn't buy on Amazon to a collection the "Not synced to cloud" message would NOT pop up. (Yes I sent in my feedback)

Was wavering on upgrading from my PW2, but I'm really glad I did. (Now I just have to stop looking at the bottom for the power button lol)
    « Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 09:31:20 pm by DawnB »

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #280 on: October 29, 2014, 04:25:20 am »
    Excellent point, Car. I think it's the most important takeaway from this thread so far. I think it's important for us to embrace those who don't like it or have significant problems with it. I mean, it's a thread that says "first impressions" not "let's refute any negative thing said about the new kindle". And for drew, maybe an "I feel like it's a shoddy..." and that would be that. I know from past experience I thought the Paperwhite 1 was absolutely awful and reserve that "shoddy" comment to it from my perspective. There was a thread called Defective Paperwhites and instead of it being an open space to discuss concerns, people got on that thread and felt the need to refute anything bad about the Paperwhite. I think everyone is in agreement with Car's statement. I think everyone on this site, almost ubiquitously, loves what Amazon is doing in the E-reading department and genuinely is invested in the products so why not embrace the negative with the great too? I can't wait to get my hands on a Voyage to jump into this conversation properly and appreciate all the great comments assisting those of us who don't have our hands on it yet. 

OK, timeout....

Because of this comment in the above quote: 

it's a thread that says "first impressions" not "let's refute any negative thing said about the new kindle,

I've just reread all 280 posts in this thread.  I have seen post after post where people have said things that they did not like about the new Kindle, including the following:

"Mine had a 2-tone screen with it being darker yellow" (Jaspertyler)
    "In my normal reading light it is blueish at the bottom and beigish at the top." (Night Reader)
    "I noticed the uneven color on the screen of my Voyage" (KimberlyinMN)
    "I do have a slight more yellow at the top of the screen." (Crisandra)
    "Very slight orange coloration at the top." (ezzkmo)
    "If I look at it long enough, I can see the same screen discolorations WilliamG is talking about." (lindnet)
    "Top half yellow, bottom half blue." (Drew020)

As well as issues with software such as spontaneous reboots, problems with the "buttons," problems with the software design.

I have not seen "let's refute any negative thing said about the new Kindle."  I see comments like this:

"If you're not happy with yours returning is definitely the right choice for you." (The Hooded Claw)
    "It doesn't matter what we think.  Does it work for you?" (Ann in Arlington)
    "I have no doubt some people are truly having problems with front lit screens in general." (CAR)
    "Someone's first impressions are their own.  They don't have to be the same as someone else's." (Betsy the Quilter)
    "If you get a V and the screen bothers you then you have a legitimate issue." (Kevinpars)
    "CAR, sorry for your defective V." (Toby)

What people have a problem with, and what always compells people to respond, is comments such as this:

"They're all that way (white at the bottom and orange/pink/green/whatever at the top." (WilliamG)
    and
    "Others here simply don't see the issue even when presented with it.  I don't blame them. Some people are simply not as picky." (WilliamG)
    "I don't want to make it personal for those who can overlook those significant flaws." (drew020)
    "a substandard product" and "a shoddy product." (drew020)

I've seen negativism posed towards people who don't have issues in their first impressions ("can overlook thse signficant flaws," "not as visually picky" and "others simply don't see this issue."  I have not seen negativism or defensiveness towards people who posed issues that they had with their own device, only responses about their own personal experience when sweeping generalizations are made.

Making universal statements about a device is problematic in a thread where people have said as part of their own first impressions, while acknowledging that others have had problems:
    "My Voyage is perfect.  No variation in color at all." (bordercollielady)
    "To me the screen is an almost startling pure white and crystal clear." (ellenoc)
    "Mine definitely has no pink or green, with very even lighting." (DianeGS)
    "I don't have any of the screen discoloration problems, thank goodness." (VickiG)

Bottom line:  let's keep this thread confined to "first impressions" which are by definition an individual response.  To generalize, based on the statements in this thread, that all Voyages are flawed is just as incorrect as if someone in this thread would say that they are all flawless.  Which no one in this thread has said.  Quite the opposite.  In other words, let's drop the hyperbole.

(Took me a long time to type this--there may be responses to the thread I haven't addressed.  Will read interim responses and edit post accordingly.)

Betsy
    « Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 04:37:16 am by Betsy the Quilter »
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #281 on: October 29, 2014, 05:31:52 am »
    it's here and it is amazing.  I'm upgrading from the original paperwhite and I can't believe how much of a difference there is

Yay katy!  How are the page turns and auto-adjusting lighting working for you?

I do not like the origami cover at all. I would go for the previous style Amazon cover without a second thought. I need a book style cover to read comfortably. 

There's a thread in accessories where folks are discussing some of the third party options -- most, though, won't be available for another week or so. Many of us are waiting for more accurate pictures and/or some reviews. :)

I just got my Voyage today. I really love the screen, the lighting & that size. Now I just have to wait for my AO3 Case.

Are you getting that from Amazon, or somewhere else? Do you have a link? :)

I wish that ever time I add a book I didn't buy on Amazon to a collection the "Not synced to cloud" message would NOT pop up. (Yes I sent in my feedback)

Are these books you side loaded? You know you can use the Send to Kindle app on your computer to send them via Amazon -- then they're doubly backed up. Here's a link: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/pc. Though, I agree, that message is annoying -- I see it if I move things in and out of collections while not in an area with a good wifi signal. It should be able to be turned off like many warning messages.

Was wavering on upgrading from my PW2, but I'm really glad I did. (Now I just have to stop looking at the bottom for the power button lol)

That was an easy adjustment for me as it's in the same place as the Fires. Plus, I had an auto-on cover for my PW so I almost never used the button. :D

(For those who want to provide feedback here's the email address:  [email protected]
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline northofdivision

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #282 on: October 29, 2014, 06:27:58 am »
    Thank you, Betsy and a well received response.  Although I disagree with your assessment as I read the thread differently (in how I feel those "universal statements" are the very comments that feel like passive aggressive returns to those who have negative things to say), you are spot on with the rest of your assessment and I appreciate you taking the time to voice it through. Really great points for all of us to keep in mind and to respect the space. Thanks.

Really stuck on pulling the trigger on this origami cover. The positives seem really great but i'm stuck on wanting a traditional  look. Original amazon cases are made so well so i'm gonna have to get a hands on at Best Buy hopefully.
    Stanley
    =====
    Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura One 8", Likebook 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #283 on: October 29, 2014, 06:38:02 am »

Really stuck on pulling the trigger on this origami cover. The positives seem really great but i'm stuck on wanting a traditional  look. Original amazon cases are made so well so i'm gonna have to get a hands on at Best Buy hopefully.

My local best buy did have them -- though only in black and only in plastic.  It was enough for me to try one out on my Voyage and decide I wasn't happy enough with it to spend the money they were asking. $10 -- maybe, $45 to $60 -- no way! :o
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline PatrickNSF

• View Profile
    « Reply #284 on: October 29, 2014, 07:31:14 am »
    Making universal statements about a device is problematic in a thread where people have said as part of their own first impressions, while acknowledging that others have had problems:
    "My Voyage is perfect.  No variation in color at all." (bordercollielady)
    "To me the screen is an almost startling pure white and crystal clear." (ellenoc)
    "Mine definitely has no pink or green, with very even lighting." (DianeGS)
    "I don't have any of the screen discoloration problems, thank goodness." (VickiG)

Has anyone with one of the "perfect" screens posted a photo of their screen? What I'm finding after a few days of research on this and various other sites is that all of photos of screens that I've come across have the lighting gradient issue to some extent. Even if you look at some of the online video reviews you can see the issue by taking a screen shot, though I haven't seen a reviewer point it out.

I would find it helpful to see a photo of "perfect" screen so that I know whether to play the "return game" with Amazon until receiving a satisfactory screen, or whether to wait it out a few months or until v2. Until then, I'm playing it safe and assuming that they all have this issue.

Offline katy32

• Ohio
      • View Profile
    « Reply #285 on: October 29, 2014, 08:37:43 am »
    I had to adjust the page turns a bit to work better for me, but now that I'm getting used to them they are fantastic.  My 7 year old is happily reading away on his new paperwhite (which disappeared from my room the second my voyage arrived).  Overall I would say this is a total win for me. 

Offline northofdivision

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #286 on: October 29, 2014, 09:03:30 am »
    My local best buy did have them -- though only in black and only in plastic.  It was enough for me to try one out on my Voyage and decide I wasn't happy enough with it to spend the money they were asking. $10 -- maybe, $45 to $60 -- no way! :o

"45 to 60 no way!"....hahaha. indeed, Ann in Arlington. they sure do make great covers though. from the K2 on down, they always cost too much but I always feel they're excellent. Thanks for the best buy note. I'll go in and check a plastic one out. I use anker's black aluminum stand to prop it up (best 12 dollars you'll ever spend) and people at coffeehouses always ask about it. not sure if i want an origami cover to serve the purpose but it's a nice idea and some people on here seem to love it. classic "looks like a book or journal" covers have treated me well through the years.
    Stanley
    =====

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
    « Reply #287 on: October 29, 2014, 10:43:34 am »
    Has anyone with one of the "perfect" screens posted a photo of their screen? What I'm finding after a few days of research on this and various other sites is that all of photos of screens that I've come across have the lighting gradient issue to some extent. Even if you look at some of the online video reviews you can see the issue by taking a screen shot, though I haven't seen a reviewer point it out.

I would find it helpful to see a photo of "perfect" screen so that I know whether to play the "return game" with Amazon until receiving a satisfactory screen, or whether to wait it out a few months or until v2. Until then, I'm playing it safe and assuming that they all have this issue.

My guess is it would be very difficult to tell on a photo what is the Kindle and what is visual artifact from the photo. I know photogs get into big discussions on color accuracy of this camera vs that camera, then there is uneven environment lighting, etc.

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

Offline runtmms

• View Profile
    « Reply #288 on: October 29, 2014, 11:59:27 am »
    I just got off the phone with Kindle CS...

I'm coming from a Kindle Keyboard. The Voyage seems tiny. Even with the light off the contrast is much greater with the Voyage. I like the side 'buttons' on the Voyage, but they are really only convenient when holding it a certain way. I find myself using a screen tap more often than the buttons - but I do use both. I love the flush front.

The lighting is very even. I'm pleased with the auto brightness. I never notice it changing and it looks good in all lighting. I'm still making manual tweaks, but that's really just me playing. In general things with auto bright are brighter than I want so this has been a pleasant surprise.

Light color... Before I got mine, I had seen the reports of the yellow top/ blue bottom. That was on my mind when I turned it on for the first time, and sure enough the top is more yellow than the bottom. If I look at the top corner, then the bottom corner there is a color difference. As far as reading on the page mine has a gentle gradient change in the color. That being said, the overall effect is a very neutral page color which I like a lot. My brother has a paperwhite which has always looked very blue to me. My KK is very gray. The Voyage is much closer to the look of actual paper.

I called CS to see what they had to say, and according to the representative I spoke to a slight color gradient from top to bottom is normal. It should not be distracting. I've decided I want to read on mine for a week before deciding if I want them to send me a replacement. 

Odd thoughts...

It seems like the color difference improves the longer the device is on. That's true even if I'm not reading it. It's been on while I'm writing this post and in checking it periodically it seems more even in color as time passes.

There's a picture early in the thread of the boot of screen looking very pixelated. My boot up screen looks exactly the same. But the screen saver pages (not SO) look amazing. I think they are using the same low resolution boot image they've always used and that poor image quality has to do with the upscaling of the image. (This is just my wild guess.)

Some people have complained that the bottom of the touch screen is not sensitive so they have trouble getting to the reading navigation display. I think this is because it wants a swipe from the bottom. A tap won't access mine, but a swipe always does - just start in the middle of the bezel and swipe up. This is confirmed in the user guide loc 127.

My guess is I'll end up keeping and loving it.
    -M

Offline Eltanin Publishing

• Charlotte, VT
    • Cathy Ryan - Editor-in-Chief
      • View Profile
      • Eltanin Publishing
    « Reply #289 on: October 29, 2014, 12:28:43 pm »
    Has anyone with one of the "perfect" screens posted a photo of their screen? What I'm finding after a few days of research on this and various other sites is that all of photos of screens that I've come across have the lighting gradient issue to some extent.

As other people have said, just about any camera (other than film, and then you'd have to look at the software that scanned the film into the computer) does some processing of the image and that can affect things. It'd also be nearly impossible NOT to have a gradient on a photo, based on what part of the screen is closer to the camera, where the room light is coming from, etc. So then I thought of the most uniform photo-maker I can think of - a flatbed scanner. Although it still does some processing of an image (it must - there's no way to get from a bunch of 0's and 1's to an image without processing), at least the light is uniform. So I scanned my Voyage (which I'm extremely happy with). First is the light set to it's lowest, and then set to 17. You might wonder why they look so similar. Well, as I said, any computer does some processing and most scanners want a certain brightness to the overall image.

EDITED TO REMOVE IMAGES - see my post below.
    « Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:57:55 pm by Eltanin Publishing »

• Charlotte, VT
      • View Profile
      • Eltanin Publishing
    « Reply #290 on: October 29, 2014, 12:57:02 pm »
    My apologies - I didn't realize that the scanner turned the image into B&W because it didn't sense much color and thought it was scanning a B&W page. Here is one with color. The light is at 17.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #291 on: October 29, 2014, 03:03:19 pm »
    Good idea with the scanner, Cathy. I think that looks quite fine and is nearly on par with what I see on mine in real life.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #292 on: October 29, 2014, 04:22:27 pm »
    My apologies - I didn't realize that the scanner turned the image into B&W because it didn't sense much color and thought it was scanning a B&W page. Here is one with color. The light is at 17.

That blue case looks interesting. Which one is that ?

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk HD

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

• Charlotte, VT
      • View Profile
      • Eltanin Publishing
    « Reply #293 on: October 29, 2014, 05:50:27 pm »
    That blue case looks interesting. Which one is that ?

It's this one, but blue (for some reason, link maker only finds the black one).

I'm liking it more and more. It's darker than the image shows, but the rubbery plastic back feels really neat, and since it's top-flip, I can choose to let the cover dangle and hold it by the plastic back, rather than have the fabric cover folded totally back. Easy to remove the cover. Front is like very dark denim. Only downside is it doesn't do auto-wake. I thought I'd want a more book-like side hinge, but the symmetry of a top flap is nice - feels the same whether I'm holding it by the right or left hand.

Offline mom133d (aka Liz)

• Charlottesville, VA
    • Tea & Cake or death?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #294 on: October 29, 2014, 06:16:48 pm »

I'll try. Both are at brightness 22.

Edited to shrink image to accommodate those using mobile devices or older monitors. Thanks for understanding. --Betsy
    « Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:21:20 pm by Betsy the Quilter »
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main...and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life." - Walt Disney

Offline PatrickNSF

• View Profile
    « Reply #295 on: October 29, 2014, 06:19:12 pm »

Thanks so much for taking the time to scan and post. It's a great help :-)
    « Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:21:44 pm by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline PatrickNSF

• View Profile
    « Reply #296 on: October 29, 2014, 07:18:12 pm »
    I'll try. Both are at brightness 22.

Thanks so much for posting the photo, Liz. Yours shows what I'm seeing here, as well as on other forums.

I'm satisfied that they all have this issue and I just need to decide whether it's a deal killer or not for me. I generally like most things about the Voyage over my Paperwhite v1 (other than the standard case). At this point I'm just deciding whether we upgrade to Paperwhite v2's or Voyages. The Paperwhite v1 already has a new home identified :-)

Thanks again!
    « Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 07:30:10 pm by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline drew0020

• View Profile
    « Reply #297 on: October 29, 2014, 07:19:43 pm »
    Thanks so much for posting the photo, Liz. Yours shows what I'm seeing here, as well as on other forums.

I'm satisfied that they all have this issue and I just need to decide whether it's a deal killer or not for me. I generally like most things about the Voyage over my Paperwhite v1 (other than the standard case). At this point I'm just deciding whether we upgrade to Paperwhite v2's or Voyages. The Paperwhite v1 already has a new home identified :-)

Thanks again!
    i agree. I would not be satisfied with that screen at all. I guess I am picky?
    « Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 07:30:38 pm by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #298 on: October 29, 2014, 07:32:56 pm »
    Curious as to your assessment, Drew, of EP's screen scan:

Betsy

Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline PatrickNSF

• View Profile
    « Reply #299 on: October 29, 2014, 07:38:02 pm »
    I'm not Drew, but I also tried a scan after seeing that post. My scanner masks the color gradation. I think it may have something to do with the light of the scanner overwhelming the Kindle screen. I believe it's similar to how you won't notice the gradation in full sunlight, but that's a guess.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement