Author Topic: Kindle Voyage First Impressions  (Read 68494 times)  

Online Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Voyage First Impressions
« Reply #325 on: November 05, 2014, 03:59:42 am »
So, my first impressions.

I guess the screen is the first thing we all look at. Ive looked at it from every angle in every light, with the light off and on, set high and low, with and without my specs! I cant see any problems - no uneven colouring or lighting at all, so Im very pleased about that, given some of the reports. Placed next to my PW2 using the same light setting, the Voyage has a noticeably whiter background which is all to the good, though I was happy with the PW colour. Ive hardly noticed that the bezel is flush - being black, theres still a clear demarcation between bezel and actual screen. It seems to show finger marks more though, and theres a slight reflection occasionally inevitable I suppose when you have glass with a black background. I have yet to get to grips with how the autolight function works, but in the meantime its no bother to change it manually as before.

The text seems finer and crisper. I usually use (and have been perfectly happy with) the default Caecilia font on size 4. Its bigger on the Voyage than the PW though, too big really, so Ive knocked it down to 3, which although quite a bit smaller than Im used to is clear enough. The font also seems slightly different, less round perhaps, but that may be just an impression because I cant get the identical size to compare or because its finer. It is a tad disappointing that long after other devices have had many more font choices and even the ability to load ones own, that Amazon chooses not to implement this but its not a deal breaker for me.

Its definitely much faster, especially downloading books and it seemed to index them pretty much immediately, even when I deliberately downloaded a large number altogether. No more leaving it overnight to index as we had to in the early days! My collections synced automatically with no problem and once Id remembered to tell it to show the collections I wanted in all views, I was good to go. There was also no problem connecting to my Wi-Fi. Im very pleased to have 3g again too I just had Wi-Fi on my PW2 and it was the first time Id ever done that  - but have decided that, for me at least, its worth the extra splurge to get the 3g. No problems with the 3g signal.

Ive never missed the page turn buttons and using a touch screen for so long Im out of the habit of having to hit a precise spot to get the page to change, so Ive carried on touching the screen as before. The only time they might be useful to me is when changing pages on the home screen etc., where you have to remember to swipe rather than tap - but I keep missing the exact spot on the bezel which gets frustrating! At least having both hopefully keeps everyone happy for a change.

The on/off button being on the back is slightly inconvenient at the moment, only because I have yet to get a suitable cover with the auto on/off feature. Im using a spare PW2 case to carry it about which doesnt work with this model so I have to keep remembering to put it to sleep manually when I finish reading though I guess it wouldnt hurt to leave it to go off by itself. Once I have the correct cover, I would hope I would rarely need to use it and the cover may have a hole for it anyway.

I havent come across any significant difference between the PW2 and the Voyage as far as the software and settings etc. are concerned I think it works pretty much as it did before.

In conclusion, I would say that my first impressions are very favourable and Im happy I decided to upgrade. Ill be glad to get a cover sorted though I find I dont like reading it naked.  :o
Linda

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline northofdivision

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #326 on: November 05, 2014, 07:06:20 am »

I guess the screen is the first thing we all look at. I've looked at it from every angle in every light, with the light off and on, set high and low, with and without my specs! I can't see any problems - no uneven colouring or lighting at all, so I'm very pleased about that, given some of the reports. Placed next to my PW2 using the same light setting, the Voyage has a noticeably whiter background which is all to the good, though I was happy with the PW colour. I've hardly noticed that the bezel is flush - being black, there's still a clear demarcation between bezel and actual screen.

Good stuff, Linjeakel. You mention the Voyage being whiter than your Paperwhite. Would you say that your PW fell under the more greyish, more bluish or more yellowish (or some say sepia-ish) to your eyes?
    Stanley
    =====
    Google Pixel, Ipad Mini4/5
    Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Oasis 7"
    Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura One 8", Likebook 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Online Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #327 on: November 05, 2014, 03:18:59 pm »
    Good stuff, Linjeakel. You mention the Voyage being whiter than your Paperwhite. Would you say that your PW fell under the more greyish, more bluish or more yellowish (or some say sepia-ish) to your eyes?

I've put the two side by side again and, with my Kindles at least, the PW2 is greyer. The lower the light, the less difference between the two, but on the highest setting, it's very obvious. Whether it's a difference in the screen or the strength of the light, I wouldn't like to say.
    Linda

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
      • View Profile
    « Reply #328 on: November 05, 2014, 04:16:39 pm »
    Once I find the perfect cover I'll be a thoroughly happy kindle camper. :D

The Fintie SmartShell cover that I received today is exactly what I was looking for. It has the auto-wake/sleep feature, magnetic closure, power button opening. It's thin and weighs virtually nothing.

http://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Kindle-Voyage-Premium-Leather/dp/B00NQNI2CQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415232415&sr=8-1&keywords=fintie+voyage

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #329 on: November 05, 2014, 04:37:33 pm »
    The Fintie SmartShell cover that I received today is exactly what I was looking for. It has the auto-wake/sleep feature, magnetic closure, power button opening. It's thin and weighs virtually nothing.

http://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Kindle-Voyage-Premium-Leather/dp/B00NQNI2CQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415232415&sr=8-1&keywords=fintie+voyage

Yes!  Me Too!  Mine came today as well -- though not promised until tomorrow or later.  I got the purple and am very happy with it overall.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline MsBea

• View Profile
    « Reply #330 on: November 05, 2014, 04:58:54 pm »
    Got my KV today and have had it for a couple of hours now.  So far I really like it. After all the screen issues others were having, I was  little nervous when I opened it and turned it on.  Luckily for me, I have none of the gradients - it is uniform all over, the light works as it should (dims and brightens) and the buttons work fine.  I'm really happy that I didn't have to play the lottery like I did with my PW2 - ended up with 4 before I got a really good one. Now all I have to do is get a cover. 

I'm looking at the finite cover.  Those of you that have received it, does it have a cut out in the back for the power button?
    tjp

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #331 on: November 05, 2014, 05:06:20 pm »
    Got my KV today and have had it for a couple of hours now.  So far I really like it. After all the screen issues others were having, I was  little nervous when I opened it and turned it on.  Luckily for me, I have none of the gradients - it is uniform all over, the light works as it should (dims and brightens) and the buttons work fine.  I'm really happy that I didn't have to play the lottery like I did with my PW2 - ended up with 4 before I got a really good one. Now all I have to do is get a cover. 

I'm looking at the finite cover.  Those of you that have received it, does it have a cut out in the back for the power button?
    tjp

Yes -- check it out on Amazon:

If you look at the pictures available, there's one of the back that shows the cut out for the button. But, really, since the auto wake/sleep works, you'll not need to access the power button all that often.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline MsBea

• View Profile
    « Reply #332 on: November 05, 2014, 05:47:55 pm »
    Thanks!  I ordered the purple one!

Offline Candee15

• lynnbyer.wordpress.com
      • View Profile
      • My Blog
    « Reply #333 on: November 06, 2014, 06:54:00 am »
    I received my Voyage yesterday and am in love!!!  I had the original PW, and I consider this a major upgrade.  The lighting is wonderful.  Text is very crisp.  The page turn buttons are great.  So far I'm a happy reader :)
    Lynn Byer - Author of TROUBLE IN PARADISE, CHRISTMAS IN PARADISE, and DAISIES NEVER LIE

Offline akpak

• Anchorage, AK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #334 on: November 06, 2014, 10:22:47 pm »
    My KV (Allons-y!) arrived today, and I like it a lot. I do wish the PagePress sensors were actual buttons. I also wish there was a higher haptic setting than the current High. I do like that I can just rest my thumb on them full time.

I love that the light goes almost off entirely. Hopefully the battery life will be longer than on the PW.

My screen seems completely even in tone.

So far, it's better than the PW for sure.

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #335 on: November 07, 2014, 02:17:03 am »
    I wish someone would come out with a Kindle Voyage cover that doesn't cover the front of the device and is otherwise similar to e.g. previous generation official Kindle book-like covers (or like the Kindle 7th Generation official cover). It seems pointless to cover especially a flush device with flaps and loose the flushness.

The one thing I personally like about all of the Amazon covers (and demanded on third-party covers I've tried as well), is the fact that they won't latch onto the device from front - only from the sides. That way when the cover is open, I get to see and touch the Kindle front as it is, without pieces of leather or straps covering the front of the device itself. Too bad Amazon doesn't offer a book-like cover for the Kindle Voyage by themselves, at least not yet.

Any suggestions to that effect are welcome. I will give the Amazon official origami cover a try first, though.

Offline Vicki G.

• Houston, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #336 on: November 07, 2014, 04:56:12 am »

I procrastinated long enough on the Fintie cover and now it is "sold by Fintie, fulfilled by Amazon" and has an in stock date of November 14.  Oh well!  Teach me to procrastinate, won't it?  :)
    « Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 04:58:20 am by Vicki G. »

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #337 on: November 07, 2014, 05:15:52 am »
    I wish someone would come out with a Kindle Voyage cover that doesn't cover the front of the device and is otherwise similar to e.g. previous generation official Kindle book-like covers (or like the Kindle 7th Generation official cover). It seems pointless to cover especially a flush device with flaps and loose the flushness.

The one thing I personally like about all of the Amazon covers (and demanded on third-party covers I've tried as well), is the fact that they won't latch onto the device from front - only from the sides. That way when the cover is open, I get to see and touch the Kindle front as it is, without pieces of leather or straps covering the front of the device itself. Too bad Amazon doesn't offer a book-like cover for the Kindle Voyage by themselves, at least not yet.

Any suggestions to that effect are welcome. I will give the Amazon official origami cover a try first, though.

There are a number of those . . . .check the relevant thread in Accessories.  The Fintie is already shipping a 'smartshell' case and there are at least 3 other models that will be available in the next few days.

I procrastinated long enough on the Fintie cover and now it is "sold by Fintie, fulfilled by Amazon" and has an in stock date of November 14.  Oh well!  Teach me to procrastinate, won't it?  :)

But now you can use Prime shipping!  :D I had to pay an extra $5 to ship it. It did come ahead of when it was promised, at least.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 05:21:39 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Vicki G.

• Houston, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #338 on: November 07, 2014, 11:47:08 am »
    But now you can use Prime shipping!  :D I had to pay an extra $5 to ship it. It did come ahead of when it was promised, at least.

Except I don't have Prime any more.  Opted to go with Kindle Unlimited as my $10 monthly contribution to Uncle Jeff's IRA.   ;D

Offline bethie

• View Profile
    « Reply #339 on: November 07, 2014, 01:19:52 pm »
    I received my KV Wednesday. I'm waiting to hear back from customer service to be sure, but I anticipate I will be sending this one back and trying out a replacement. I have the yellowish color gradient, and it's pretty noticeable. I have had both a PW1and PW2; neither of them had perfect screens by any means, but the small issues I noticed did not bother me or distract me in the least. This yellowish color distracts me. It reminds me of a piece of paper that had the top half dipped in slightly dirty water and then dried.

Also, the PagePress is not reacting consistently, despite being at the highest setting. I've used it for two days to be sure it's not just me, but it is definitely the Voyage.

Hopefully my next one will be a good one. If not, I'm happy with my PW2 and I'll wait a few more months for the bugs to be worked out on the KV.

**No replacements for defective units available until next month, according to the service reps I spoke to. I'm not interested in waiting another full four weeks. :( I'll stick with my PW2.
    « Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 08:55:48 pm by bethie »

Online Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #340 on: November 08, 2014, 05:09:48 am »

I've never missed the page turn buttons and using a touch screen for so long I'm out of the habit of having to hit a precise spot to get the page to change, so I've carried on touching the screen as before. The only time they might be useful to me is when changing pages on the home screen etc., where you have to remember to swipe rather than tap - but I keep missing the exact spot on the bezel which gets frustrating! At least having both hopefully keeps everyone happy for a change.

After using the Voyage for a few days I've ended up switching off the page turn buttons.

As I said before, I didn't really need them except possibly when scrolling the Home pages and I kept pressing them accidentally when reading - I've obvious developed the habit while using my PW of holding the bezel right where the buttons are on the new model. Turning down the sensitivity didn't really help as when I came to press them on purpose it would take me several goes to get it to work. I decided they're more trouble than they're worth for me.

When I finally get a proper case, I'll see how I end up holding it and may try again. I'm not unhappy about it though - I never cared about having them back in the first place.

Linda

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #341 on: November 08, 2014, 06:31:14 am »
    Yes -- check it out on Amazon:

If you look at the pictures available, there's one of the back that shows the cut out for the button. But, really, since the auto wake/sleep works, you'll not need to access the power button all that often.

I wish I liked the colors on the Fintie.  I mean, I like the colors well enough but I don't see one I want for my Voyage.  I tend to get bright colors for my tablets, and darker or more somber colors for my ereaders. :D  But I don't particularly like black or navy.  If the "navy" cover looks kind of teal in the pic.  That might be cool....

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Raptwithal

• View Profile
    « Reply #342 on: November 08, 2014, 08:10:50 am »

That's a great design.  I don't buy real leather, but this is the first time I've seen the term PU Leather.  Interestingly, the PU stands for "polyurethane."  I learned me something.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #343 on: November 08, 2014, 08:51:56 am »
    I wish I liked the colors on the Fintie.  I mean, I like the colors well enough but I don't see one I want for my Voyage.  I tend to get bright colors for my tablets, and darker or more somber colors for my ereaders. :D  But I don't particularly like black or navy.  If the "navy" cover looks kind of teal in the pic.  That might be cool....

Betsy

I have the Fintie navy cover coming.  I also hoped it would be the teal color it appears on the screen, but one person who has received it already and posted in the accessories thread says it really is navy - bummer.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #344 on: November 08, 2014, 09:24:55 am »
    FWIW, I'm happy with the purple color of the Fintie. It's kind of a muted dark lavender. . . . .Betsy, you can see it when we get together for lunch. :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Marc Johnson

• Bay Area, CA
    • Long live the chief
      • View Profile
      • Marc Johnson, Author
    « Reply #345 on: November 08, 2014, 09:49:43 am »
    I got my Voyage yesterday and it's nice! I haven't gotten a Kindle since my G2 so this Voyage was a HUGE upgrade for me. There is one thing I wish they had though--a home button. I'm not feeling the whole tap the top to get the menu thing. It took me awhile to figure that out and it's not as responsive as I would like. Other than that, I love it! Though maybe not so much when my see my credit card bill. Also, does anyone know how to turn the 3G off or does it automatically turn off when you turn off the Voyage?

Lastly, I still haven't decided whether or not to go with the ACcase Kindle Voyage SmartShell Case or the Fintie Kindle Voyage Slim Fit Folio Premium Case. Choices!

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #346 on: November 08, 2014, 10:00:23 am »
    I got my Voyage yesterday and it's nice! I haven't gotten a Kindle since my G2 so this Voyage was a HUGE upgrade for me. There is one thing I wish they had though--a home button. I'm not feeling the whole tap the top to get the menu thing. It took me awhile to figure that out and it's not as responsive as I would like. Other than that, I love it! Though maybe not so much when my see my credit card bill. Also, does anyone know how to turn the 3G off or does it automatically turn off when you turn off the Voyage?

Lastly, I still haven't decided whether or not to go with the ACcase Kindle Voyage SmartShell Case or the Fintie Kindle Voyage Slim Fit Folio Premium Case. Choices!

Airplane mode "on" (Settings menu) is Wi-Fi/3G off.  If Airplane mode is off, it will search for Wi-Fi first, then connect to 3G if no Wi-Fi is available.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #347 on: November 08, 2014, 10:07:00 am »
    There is one thing I wish they had though--a home button. I'm not feeling the whole tap the top to get the menu thing. It took me awhile to figure that out and it's not as responsive as I would like.

I don't have a problem with responsiveness, but, yeah, I'd like a button that was a dedicated 'home' button that would always get you there quickly. To me, that's a higher priority than page turn buttons.  :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline katy32

• Ohio
      • View Profile
    « Reply #348 on: November 08, 2014, 01:13:21 pm »
    I got a second voyage after the first one broke.  This works SOOOOO much better than the first I had.  I love the page turns more now, and the screen is even nicer.  It isn't taking as long to download books and I can even switch between books with ease.  I was considering scraping the voyage and just going back to the paperwhite, but after today I'm thinking the voyage is here to stay.

Offline Lursa (aka 9MMare)

• Outside Seattle, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #349 on: November 08, 2014, 01:51:53 pm »
    Just a guess but I wonder if they removed the speakers (couple of K's back) so that there would be less competition with the Fires?

Anyway, I conveniently forgot about the new KVs until last night when I was at BestBuy. Great surprise!

Of course I was making all sorts of contortions trying to test the lighting features in that retail atmosphere with a device chained to a counter, lol. And comparing it side by side with my PW1.

Loved what I saw and felt. Will probably just buy from BB as returning will be easier if there are issues. (Altho having returned Kindles before, Amazon does do a good and fast job).

Great thread! Thanks for all the helpful input and I'm not even done yet.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement