Kindle Forum banner

Kindle Voyage First Impressions

79K views 479 replies 110 participants last post by  Bibliophile 
#1 ·
I figured this would be a good place for everyone who is receiving their Kindle Voyage over the coming days and weeks to post their initial impressions.

So, you fine lucky people, let's hear your thoughts... likes, dislikes, comparisons, whatever!

#6 ·
I'm currently reading the User's Guide, and I have a first impression:  because it has the PagePress sensors (aka "buttons" for the purposes of discussion), you can use those to move through your pages on the Home screen.  Since we've had numerous members who have had problems turning pages on the home screen without selecting a book instead of turning the page, I declare this A Good Thing.  (The trick on the Paperwhite is to swipe diagonally across the page, not horizontally.)

Betsy

#7 ·
I'm anxious to hear the first impressions, but I also would like to hear about the Amazon cover as well. I am not fond of top flip covers so I ordered the Belkin cover that is more like the Paperwhite cover. I should get that today, but my Voyage is not due until Nov 19th which gives me time to decide if I would prefer it. That will be a decision I make based on the reviews here.  ;D

#8 ·
Kathy said:
I'm anxious to hear the first impressions, but I also would like to hear about the Amazon cover as well. I am not fond of top flip covers so I ordered the Belkin cover that is more like the Paperwhite cover. I should get that today, but my Voyage is not due until Nov 19th which gives me time to decide if I would prefer it. That will be a decision I make based on the reviews here. ;D
Look for those reviews in our Reviews section or in Accessories! I've ordered the Poetic cover and will post my impressions of that when it gets here next week.

Betsy

#10 ·
I just finished reading a couple chapters and this is what I e-mailed to my friend...

well I could of sent pictures but it would not do it justice, the text is very dark, they couldn't do better. Page turns are instant and no flicker at all. You can adjust the light or have it adjust for you. I went with the later and it did a great job. You can touch the screen or push the area that indicates the button and no just touching it does not turn the page, you have to push it , so no bad page turn and when you do push you don't get but one page turn so again no extra page turns. The glass is flush with the enclosure and it feels like paper to me. Its an excellent reader, This is better than the paperwhite 2 hands down , I don't know what they could of done to make it better. Its almost perfect

still playing with this but the Voyage is worth the price and fwiw I don't think its a bad price...

#11 ·
larryb52 said:
I just finished reading a couple chapters and this is what I e-mailed to my friend...

well I could of sent pictures but it would not do it justice, the text is very dark, they couldn't do better. Page turns are instant and no flicker at all. You can adjust the light or have it adjust for you. I went with the later and it did a great job. You can touch the screen or push the area that indicates the button and no just touching it does not turn the page, you have to push it , so no bad page turn and when you do push you don't get but one page turn so again no extra page turns. The glass is flush with the enclosure and it feels like paper to me. Its an excellent reader, This is better than the paperwhite 2 hands down , I don't know what they could of done to make it better. Its almost perfect

still playing with this but the Voyage is worth the price and fwiw I don't think its a bad price...
Thanks for sharing that, Larry. I'm really interested in how the Voyage compares with the PW2. The most important thing to me is the display, and it sounds as though the Voyage is noticeably better.

#15 ·
Oh my god, mine just got here and I have to agree -- the display is amazing. Incredibly clear, dark, and crisp, with no evidence of pixels at all.

I also love the haptic feedback, which is WAY more subtle than I imagined it would be. It's not an outright buzz; it's very gentle and not distracting. Nifty! And IMO, autobrightness is awesome -- the fade from light to dark and back is so subtle, I barely notice it until it's happened.

My only gripe is that the back is going to attract a lot of fingerprints. :)

#16 ·
Got it and love it!  Love the page turning sensors with the haptic feedback.  As DianaGS said, it is so soft that it won't distract from the reading experience.

Fingerprint-y already.  Ugh.  Let's hope decals are made soon and that it includes a back decal for the whole back.

Oh, and I have never wanted an Oberon Designs cover but now I do.  This thing is too pretty not to have the best.  ;)

#21 ·
First screen has a list of languages -- touch one and press next . . . . . . boot up begins.

Screen really is absolutely flush with the bezel --

kindle voyage

High-resolution 300 PPI display
Ato adjusting built-in light
Reinvented page turn controls
Weeks of batter life

Get Started>

---------------
Next step: set up WiFi
*** found our home network easily, entered password and downloading started!
---------------
Continue setup

OR

Use a different account
--------------

Next, link to FB and/or twitter account (I did FB but have no twitter account.)

Quick tutorial about what the controls on screen do.

It goes through all the top menu, looking up words, how to get to the store -- mentions prime, then sends you home and you see this notice.

Your Cloud Collections have been synced
tothis device. Select Collections under My Items
to see them. You can press and hold on a
collection to change its view options.

Default home pate has suggestions and cover view . . . off to personalize . . . .

#22 ·
Does anyone know how to take a screenshot on the Voyage yet? I tried touching opposite corners and both bottom corners (I think one of those was how you do it on PW).

My concern, having published books with illustrations, was that going from 212 to 300 pixels per inch would make the images smaller. But from what I can recall about how large certain images looked on my PW, it seems like Amazon must be stretching some of the images. More on this later when I have my PW to compare. I do notice a very light grey line down the right side of some images... I'm wondering if that has something to do with the fact that I think amazon is blowing them up a little.... Anyone can grab a sample of an Oz book below to see what I mean. One example is the "She" image at location 119 in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. But the line isn't there on all images, and is only there on part of a line along the right edge for some images.

The fonts look great. I never used Palatino on the PW even though in general I like the font, because it seemed a bit light and fuzzy on the PW. But it looks nice on the V.

I saw one of the covers at Best Buy. I didn't think I'd like the origami cover because the creases will make it floppy, but it was a little stiffer than I feared. It was pretty neat. But still - $45 is a bit ridiculous (and the only had black at Best Buy). We'll see what third market covers come out for it. If you bought a cover - review it here, also!

#25 ·
Sienna_98 said:
Any ideas why a book that I've had on (at least) 3 different kindles "cannot be loaded onto this device"??? :eek:
How are you loading it exactly? From Amazon, or from your computer? What file type is it? I've sideloaded a mobi file from within Calibre and it worked fine.

And I can confirm - the kindle is enlarging images so that they don't look itty bitty on this high-res screen. I'd say Amazon is making the images look as large as they do on the PW. I am so thrilled with this...

#26 ·
Sienna_98 said:
Any ideas why a book that I've had on (at least) 3 different kindles "cannot be loaded onto this device"??? :eek:
Have you used up your licenses? There's a limit -- usually 6 unless it says something different. Maybe the license from it's downloading to some previous kindle wasn't properly released? (I'm assuming this is a book bought from Amazon.)

Best as I can tell from reading through the users guide the formats are the same as on the PW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.