Author Topic: Kindle Voyage First Impressions  (Read 70184 times)  

Offline Eltanin Publishing

• Charlotte, VT
  • Cathy Ryan - Editor-in-Chief
    • View Profile
    • Eltanin Publishing
Re: Kindle Voyage First Impressions
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2014, 03:26:00 pm »
I just got home (with the Voyage I bought at Best Buy) and the cover I ordered was on my porch. I ordered this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IU7CISM

My thoughts (after touching the Amazon cover at Best Buy):
  • Quality wise, it seems fairly equal to the Amazon cover.
  • The color is darker blue than how it looks on the Amazon product page. I wish it was more like the image on the product page (I got blue)
  • I thought it would do auto sleep/wake, but it doesn't. Either they changed the product page or I'm just mistaken. I will probably opt out of special offers, because as it is now, I have to open the cover (and there's an elastic holding it), press the power button, AND tap the screen to wake. That's a bit annoying.
  • Overall I like the cover a lot, especially considering it's a lot cheaper than the Amazon cover. The back feels nice when it is closed (kind of solid rubbery feel) and the flipped back cover feels nice when I'm reading (a soft fabric-like feel)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:32:57 pm by Eltanin Publishing »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #51 on: October 21, 2014, 03:26:18 pm »
    Here's a screenshot taken with the alternate corner press:

That's with your Voyage, Leslie?  Did you get a screen flash, like the PW used to do?  I tried but didn't get any...and haven't hooked the V up to the computer to check.

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: October 21, 2014, 03:33:00 pm »
    I just got home (with the Voyage I bought at Best Buy) and the cover I ordered was on my porch. I ordered this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IU7CISM

My thoughts (after touching the Amazon cover at Best Buy):
    • Quality wise, it seems fairly equal to the Amazon cover.
      The color is darker blue than how it looks on the Amazon product page. I wish it was more like the image on the product page (I got blue)
      I thought it would do auto sleep/wake, but it doesn't. Either they changed the product page or I'm just mistaken. I will probably opt out of special offers, because as it is now, I have to open the cover (and there's an elastic holding it), press the power button, AND tap the screen to wake. That's a bit annoying.
      Overall I like the cover a lot, especially considering it's a lot cheaper than the Amazon cover. The back feels nice when it is closed (kind of solid rubbery feel) and the flipped back cover feels nice when I'm reading (a soft fabric-like feel)

So the incipio cover is not auto wake?  That's definitely a non-starter. With offers it's no big deal to swipe once you've opened it, but having to still press the button just seems wrong.  First World Problem, though, for sure. :)  I'd keep the offers and get a different cover, myself. ;)

It looks like fintie, ACcase, and a couple others are going to be available in a few weeks at good prices.  I'm going to go with 'naked' for now and check out the other options when they're available. I would like to evaluate the Amazon cover in person, though, so I may pop by Best Buy tomorrow and see what they have. :D
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline kb7uen Gene

• Grand Forks ND
    • Life is stranger than fiction, read anyway.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: October 21, 2014, 03:37:36 pm »
    I have to say that putting your fingers in place over the page turn sensors while holding the ereader and then applying only a little pressure to turn pages is brilliant on the Amazon engineer's part.  I would think it would make the reading experience more relaxing over an extended period of time because the reader has a more secure grip on the ereader at all times.
    Thank-you Amazon for the Kindle, I am reading print again after being away from it for 15 years because of decreasing vision.  I never walk out my front door without my Kindle DXG and Fire, they have been both liberating and life changing for me.  Thanks again.  Sincerely, Gene

• Charlotte, VT
      • View Profile
      • Eltanin Publishing
    « Reply #54 on: October 21, 2014, 03:41:02 pm »
    So the incipio cover is not auto wake?  That's definitely a non-starter.
    Yeah... I thought it WAS auto wake, but... maybe I'm just mistaken. If anyone else also thought this cover was auto-wake, let me know (I'm just wondering if I'm nuts, and if I do return it, I would argue that I shouldn't have to pay return shipping, if we felt the product description had been changed).

I'd keep the offers and get a different cover, myself. ;)

True - the cost of removing offers ($20) is the same as the difference between this cover and the Amazon cover. But I think I actually like this one better than the Amazon cover. Either way (pay to remove offers, or pay for the more expensive amazon cover), I'd have to open the cover and do one other thing - either tap the screen to get out of the special offers, or press the power button to wake. I'm going to double check the return policy (how long I have) and keep an eye out for other covers.
    [/quote]

Offline WilliamG

• View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: October 21, 2014, 03:45:53 pm »
    I got my THREE Kindle Voyages today, and they're all going back. Amazon simply hasn't learned from the Paperwhite, that many of us like to read on an evenly lit screen, and preferably without bright, shining specks of dust inside the glass.

Here's a picture of one of the Kindle Voyage units. All three are about EXACTLY the same. Very white at the bottom, getting muddier/green toward the top, and then pink in the top right and top left. You can't see it outside or in bright light, but in a normal, dimmer room, it's so obvious. And it's a real shame because the sharpness of the text is GORGEOUS.

Of course, all the reviews we've seen only show the Paperwhite in a bright environment....

For me, the Voyage is a total failure, and a massive disappointment.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: October 21, 2014, 03:47:39 pm »
    The screen is amazing and I have already customized my page press "buttons." I am still experimenting with the best way to hold it, but not having to change my hold to turn pages is wonderful.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: October 21, 2014, 03:48:17 pm »
    Yeah... I thought it WAS auto wake, but... maybe I'm just mistaken. If anyone else also thought this cover was auto-wake, let me know (I'm just wondering if I'm nuts, and if I do return it, I would argue that I shouldn't have to pay return shipping, if we felt the product description had been changed).

I don't recall whether it said it specifically or not, but given Amazon covers are auto-wake, and they were the only other ones available initially, it's not an unreasonable assumption.  I'd definitely contact Kindle CS and see what they say -- maybe they'll take off the offers for free or something.

It does look like there will be covers from fintie and ACcase coming in a few weeks -- some of the proposed cases specify auto wake.

True - the cost of removing offers ($20) is the same as the difference between this cover and the Amazon cover. But I think I actually like this one better than the Amazon cover. Either way (pay to remove offers, or pay for the more expensive amazon cover), I'd have to open the cover and do one other thing - either tap the screen to get out of the special offers, or press the power button to wake. I'm going to double check the return policy (how long I have) and keep an eye out for other covers.

My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: October 21, 2014, 03:54:29 pm »
    I talked to Amazon customer service about the loose portal.  They are sending a new one but without special offers.  After talking to them, I checked the portal again and the usb cord has a lot of give but I'm second guessing whether or not it will affect charging.  I'm not sure if it's the cord or the Voyage.  When I look at the portal, it looks solid but I don't understand why the cord moves at all when plugged in.  None of my Apple products have any wiggle room.  My concern is that the movement will eventually cause the portal to disconnect inside.  I don't want to take advantage of Amazon so if the new one does the same, I will call them and see how they want to handle it.

A lot of micro usb have some play.   You are correct the cord can have a lot to do with this.  I would check the cord with all your other micro usb devices.  I checked few of mine and the worse was my cellphone.  Really this is a standard issue with micro usb ports in general.  The only time I would worry about this issue is is a device would not charge.   If you are really worried about it, go to a store and bring your Voyage. I bet you could find a cheap usb cord that may fit too tight ;)

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

Offline TammyC

• PA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: October 21, 2014, 03:54:46 pm »
    Trying this again to see if you guys can see the pic now, let me know if it works. Just a quick side by side with my paperweight

Tammy

Offline WilliamG

• View Profile
    « Reply #60 on: October 21, 2014, 03:57:18 pm »
    Tammy, both of those are unacceptable to me, but that's maybe just me...

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #61 on: October 21, 2014, 03:57:33 pm »
    Thanks, Tammy!

Are the lights set at the same setting?

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline TammyC

• PA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #62 on: October 21, 2014, 04:00:13 pm »
    Yep Betsy, they both have the same light level and the same fonts
    Tammy

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #63 on: October 21, 2014, 04:00:34 pm »
    Thanks, Tammy!

Are the lights set at the same setting?

Betsy

Good question. :)

For best comparison, can you have the same book with the same font/type settings and lighting?

Though I've never seen a picture that looked as good as 'real life' . . . even the super high res ones the tech blogs use. :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline TammyC

• PA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #64 on: October 21, 2014, 04:07:10 pm »
    Good question. :)

For best comparison, can you have the same book with the same font/type settings and lighting?

Though I've never seen a picture that looked as good as 'real life' . . . even the super high res ones the tech blogs use. :)

Ask and you shall receive  :D Same location, same fonts, and same light level on both

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:08:52 pm by TammyC »
    Tammy

Offline Broadus

• Clinton, SC
      • View Profile
      • Carolina Commentary
    « Reply #65 on: October 21, 2014, 04:14:53 pm »
    Ask and you shall receive  :D Same location, same fonts, and same light level on both

Tammy, is that a PW1 or PW2 on the left? Reviews I had seen implied that the Voyage display is only slightly better than the PW2, but your Voyage is significantly better than your PW.
    « Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 03:48:57 am by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline TammyC

• PA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #66 on: October 21, 2014, 04:18:15 pm »
    Tammy, is that a PW1 or PW2 on the left? Reviews I had seen implied that the Voyage display is only slightly better than the PW2, but your Voyage is significantly better than your PW.

It's the PW1. The photo doesn't do it total justice either, it is a huge difference in my opinion.
    Tammy

Offline Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
    « Reply #67 on: October 21, 2014, 04:19:59 pm »
    I wonder if that incipio isn't wake because of the top rather than side hinge?

Offline Broadus

• Clinton, SC
      • View Profile
      • Carolina Commentary
    « Reply #68 on: October 21, 2014, 04:21:05 pm »
    It's the PW1. The photo doesn't do it total justice either, it is a huge difference in my opinion.

Are you saying that the difference is greater than what the photo shows?

Offline TammyC

• PA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #69 on: October 21, 2014, 04:24:18 pm »
    Are you saying that the difference is greater than what the photo shows?

Yea it is, I was very surprised when I put them side by side at how much better the voyage looked over the PW. It's hard to get that to show through on the photo, but it's an even greater difference than the photo shows.
    Tammy

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #70 on: October 21, 2014, 04:25:03 pm »
    I wonder if that incipio isn't wake because of the top rather than side hinge?

But the Amazon one has a top hinge and is, apparently, auto-wake.  Really, it has to do with magnets.

Cathy -- you should leave a review and note that as something that people should know.
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:28:27 pm by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline jaspertyler

• View Profile
    « Reply #71 on: October 21, 2014, 04:41:36 pm »
    Mine had a 2 tone screen, with it being darker yellowish at the top and white on the bottom.  I talked to amazon and they had me do a hard reset and then play with the brightness settings and it seems to have helped.  (Or maybe I'm just getting used to it)

I think it was a case of wishful thinking :( 
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 05:14:16 pm by jaspertyler »

Offline WilliamG

• View Profile
    « Reply #72 on: October 21, 2014, 04:44:54 pm »
    Mine had a 2 tone screen, with it being darker yellowish at the top and white on the bottom.  I talked to amazon and they had me do a hard reset and then play with the brightness settings and it seems to have helped.  (Or maybe I'm just getting used to it)

They're all that way (white at the bottom, and orange/pink/green/whatever) at the top, sadly. Your eyes will try to adjust, but it's there. I'm really bummed... I'm still stuck on my Kindle Touch since Amazon has yet to improve on it. Why can't they get the front-light right??

• Charlotte, VT
      • View Profile
      • Eltanin Publishing
    « Reply #73 on: October 21, 2014, 04:46:45 pm »
    But the Amazon one has a top hinge and is, apparently, auto-wake.  Really, it has to do with magnets.

Cathy -- you should leave a review and note that as something that people should know.

Thanks - I just did. Although undoing the elastic and pressing the power button are two steps, and I was initially wishing the elastic was on the right side (since I'm right-handed), it is becoming more second-nature to press the power button with my right hand as I undo the elastic with my left. I think I'll use it for a while and see. And this is probably a good tip for anything new - give it a try for a little while and see how you adjust to new things (though if you might return things, you of course have to be careful about using something too much).

Overall, I'm thrilled with both the cover and V. I've discovered a way I hold the kindle that I used to do with the K3 - hard to describe, but you definitely have more options when you don't have to move your hand (or even a finger) to change pages.

Oh, and BTW, I was one who wasn't totally happy with my PW1 (but didn't return it) due to splotchiness, and was happy with the PW2. I've got no splotchiness on the V. Looks quite uniform to me (and again, I DID see splotchiness on the PW1). Not saying others might not have issues, but mine's great.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #74 on: October 21, 2014, 05:15:03 pm »
    My subjective evaluation while looking at my PW1 vs PW2 vs Voyage screens and illumination is that with the PW1 I had irregular lighting at the bottom of the screen that was obviously visible, but only barely intruded into the text. It was obvious, but didn't affect my reading enjoyment after a short period of getting accustomed to it.

For The PW2, if I examined it critically, I could see minor irregularities in the lighting, but only if I was actively seeking them out. They didn't affect my reading or enjoyment at all.

For the Voyage, I don't see any irregularities at all in the lighting of the page that I actually use or even notice. After seeing the closeup photos posted by WilliamG, if I look carefully, literally scrutinizing, I THINK I can see a tiny zone of slightly brighter illumination right at the edge of the screen. But I'm not positive, and it doesn't affect my reading or enjoyment in the slightest. When I'm reading, I have a bright background on the edge, not the dark background in Williams photograph, so it is much more difficult to spot. I bought my Voyage to read on, not to look at with a magnifying glass!   :)

Note that the preceding comments were about what I saw while looking at my devices, not about any photos posted here.

I have never noticed any color irregularity on the PW2 or Voyage. I readily agree that the color on both is NOT paper like when using the built in illumination. On the other hand, that doesn't bother me at all, and I don't even think about it except when reading these threads! I believe there may have been some slight color irregularities on the PW1, but it has been too long since I saw it to be sure.

Obviously I'm interested in reading the text, and am not fussy about details that don't hinder my reading ability. It is quite possible that WilliamG would be very unhappy with my Kindle, since these things clearly matter a lot to him. He may pick up on minute stuff that I'm oblivious to. He may be smart to return his Voyage and stick to his Kindle Touch. Many people are very happy with that model, and older ones! (My own mother still loves my Kindle Keyboard)

The advantage of subjective evaluation as I'm describing is that when I'm actually using my Kindle, I'm being subjective, so the evaluation is using the same criteria i'll use when reading. The obvious disadvantage is that this is...subjective!   :o
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 05:54:07 pm by The Hooded Claw »
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

KBoards.com

• Advertisement