Author Topic: Kindle Voyage First Impressions  (Read 68526 times)  

Offline Tripp

• Kent, Washington
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads
Re: Kindle Voyage First Impressions
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2014, 05:37:09 pm »
In my opinion, this is a huge step forward from my PW 1.  It is brighter and the text is way more crisp.  I love this.  My only niggle is that my Vera Bradley case will not allow me to turn on the Voyage without having to slip the top corner band off of it.  However, I can get the page turn buttons to work just fine when it is in the VB cover, so that is not a problem. To protect the Voyage, I just purchased the Bear sleeve and will wait for a Finte cover that has a magnet.

(Make your own reading bar)

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.
-C. S. Lewis

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline WilliamG

• View Profile
    « Reply #76 on: October 21, 2014, 05:43:55 pm »

For the Voyage, I don't see any irregularities at all in the lighting of the page that I actually use or even notice. After seeing the closeup photos posted by WilliamG, if I look carefully, literally scrutinizing, I THINK I can see a tiny zone of slightly brighter illumination right at the edge of the screen. But I'm not positive, and it doesn't affect my reading or enjoyment in the slightest. When I'm reading, I have a bright background on the edge, not the dark background in Williams photograph, so it is much more difficult to spot. I bought my Voyage to read on, not to look at with a magnifying glass!   :)

My top picture is so un-uniform, I don't know how you can't see it (unless your computer display is not an IPS/VA panel, I suppose).

The bottom picture is just showing the bright speck of dust/dirt/whatever in the bottom corner of the Voyage.

Quite honestly, this is EXACTLY why Amazon can get away with selling second-rate devices. Nobody appears to notice or care about the issue.

It's just depressing. Oh well.. back to my Kindle Touch.

Offline ezzkmo

• California, USA
    • igloo appraiser
      • View Profile
    « Reply #77 on: October 21, 2014, 05:44:06 pm »
    Well all your glowing reviews had my rethink my decision. I cancelled my day 1 order from Amazon last week...only to walk in Best Buy and pick one up this evening!

Quick 2 min. impressions...this thing is slick! The background is slightly whiter than my PW2, along with the text being much crisper (although the PW2 was fine really). The page turn buttons are sure welcome again. And man is this thing thin and compact!

Offline Gone 9/21/18

• View Profile
    « Reply #78 on: October 21, 2014, 05:46:26 pm »
    Yes, the original PW got the update in navigation with the latest push.

Ah, well, since I have no wifi, mine (original PW) only ever got 1 update.
    I did not and will not consent to VerticalScope's TOS.

Offline MagentaSunset

• Southeastern Pennsylvania
      • View Profile
    « Reply #79 on: October 21, 2014, 05:51:15 pm »
    I am so looking forward to receiving mine.  It is arriving Friday, a week earlier than expected, so I am thrilled about that.  Seems to be a winner --enjoy!  ;)

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #80 on: October 21, 2014, 05:52:00 pm »
    My top picture is so un-uniform, I don't know how you can't see it (unless your computer display is not an IPS/VA panel, I suppose).

The bottom picture is just showing the bright speck of dust/dirt/whatever in the bottom corner of the Voyage.

Quite honestly, this is EXACTLY why Amazon can get away with selling second-rate devices. Nobody appears to notice or care about the issue.

It's just depressing. Oh well.. back to my Kindle Touch.

It won't, and shouldn't affect your choice, but my comments were about what I saw while reading my Voyage, not of your photos. Photos will reveal things most people won't notice, due to exposure choices among other things. That was what the "subjective" part was about. I'll edit my earlier post to be clear. If you aren't happy with yours, returning is definitely the right choice for you.
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Tatiana

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #81 on: October 21, 2014, 05:57:03 pm »
    Wow, I'm impressed with my new Voyage!  The difference in the lighting and clarity of the screen from my PW1 is amazing.  So far I am liking everything about it but the Special Offers. ;)  I'll opt out, but then I knew I would when I ordered it.  I must say I am not disappointed in the least.

The size and weight were surprising.  I've ordered an inexpensive sleeve at the moment while I wait for Oberon to come out with a Voyage cover.  Who knows I might like reading without the heavy Oberon cover.  I wish Oberon would make a sleeve for this Kindle.  I know the other sleeves didn't sell well and they discontinued them, but with this device I just might go for one.

I'm a happy camper and off to read.  DH's reaction..."Boy that's small.  I'd be afraid I'd break it, it looks so fragile."  I assured him that advance reviews showed it was not fragile in spite of it's size.
    From the manner in which a woman draws her thread at every stitch of her needlework, any other woman can surmise her thoughts.  ~Honore de Balzac

Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern; it will come out a rose by and by.  Life is like that - one stitch at a time taken patiently and the pattern will come out all right like the embroidery.  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #82 on: October 21, 2014, 05:58:52 pm »
    They're all that way (white at the bottom, and orange/pink/green/whatever) at the top, sadly. Your eyes will try to adjust, but it's there. I'm really bummed... I'm still stuck on my Kindle Touch since Amazon has yet to improve on it. Why can't they get the front-light right??

Well, no. They're not all like that.  Mine has very even lighting. I'm very happy with it. The lighting is so smooth I can't even tell where it's coming from. Brighter, dimmer, the clarity and contrast is very good no matter where I set it. I thought my 2013PW was the best kindle I'd seen -- and, for me, the Voyage is better.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline wilsondm2

• Texas
    • Retro-Geek
      • View Profile
      • My Picasa web album
    « Reply #83 on: October 21, 2014, 06:01:23 pm »
    How is the haptic feedback for anyone else? Mine is weak to non -existent even on high setting. Amazon has no clue. They didn't even know about the Voyage until i explained it to them. I'm waiting for best buy to get a demo unit before I call Amazon again.
    Dwayne Wilson

If you understand, things are just as they are;
    if you do not understand, things are just as they are.
                                                             --Zen proverb

Mycroft - my Kindle PW2
                                                  Sherlock - my Nexus 7 FHD

Offline Eltanin Publishing

• Charlotte, VT
    • Cathy Ryan - Editor-in-Chief
      • View Profile
      • Eltanin Publishing
    « Reply #84 on: October 21, 2014, 06:08:53 pm »
    How is the haptic feedback for anyone else? Mine is weak to non -existent even on high setting. Amazon has no clue. They didn't even know about the Voyage until i explained it to them. I'm waiting for best buy to get a demo unit before I call Amazon again.

When I first used the V, naked, I thought the case (not a separate case, just the different layers of the kindle) was creaking when I pressed the page turn area on the bezel - I actually thought something was moving. I quickly realized it wasn't creaking or moving, just a type of vibration. But to me, it's impressive that it didn't feel like a vibrating phone or other device, I actually thought something was moving.

Go ahead and tell an Amazon CS rep that you don't like how haptic feedback was implemented - but I doubt it will cause them to re-engineer the kindle to your specifications.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #85 on: October 21, 2014, 06:10:19 pm »

If you're calling about a Kindle, you need to call KINDLE CUSTOMER SERVICE not the generic Amazon CS #. You'll get much more knowledgeable people. This thread in Tips/Tricks/Troubleshooting has contact info: https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,96272.msg1487795.html#msg1487795

As to the haptic feedback, I admit I don't detect much difference in the settings but I do like that I can feel it so I know I've pressed it. I think mostly it takes some getting used to.  I've been using it with no attached cover; they do say that if you use an attached cover you may need to set it and the pressure sensitivity higher.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
      • View Profile
    « Reply #86 on: October 21, 2014, 06:10:39 pm »
    there is a setting for that but mine is like yours and I think its suppose to be that way. I didn't expect actual button feel , but I get a gentle give when I press and I have the setting on high...
    Larry

Offline dianasg

• Greener pastures!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #87 on: October 21, 2014, 06:17:19 pm »
    Well, no. They're not all like that.  Mine has very even lighting. I'm very happy with it. The lighting is so smooth I can't even tell where it's coming from. Brighter, dimmer, the clarity and contrast is very good no matter where I set it. I thought my 2013PW was the best kindle I'd seen -- and, for me, the Voyage is better.

Yeah, this. Mine definitely has no pink or green, with very even lighting.

If I stare at it long enough, I can start to imagine that there is, but I can do that on my computer screen, too.

Offline Tatiana

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #88 on: October 21, 2014, 06:24:23 pm »

My Voyage is like yours, Ann.  I am extremely happy with it.  Compared to my PW1 (and I had no problems with it.  I was happy with the light and the clarity of the text.) The clarity and lighting are amazing and a huge improvement over PW1.  I didn't get the PW2 so I have no basis for comparison there. 
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 06:33:53 pm by Tatiana »
    From the manner in which a woman draws her thread at every stitch of her needlework, any other woman can surmise her thoughts.  ~Honore de Balzac

Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern; it will come out a rose by and by.  Life is like that - one stitch at a time taken patiently and the pattern will come out all right like the embroidery.  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

• Charlotte, VT
      • View Profile
      • Eltanin Publishing
    « Reply #89 on: October 21, 2014, 06:25:23 pm »
    This is relatively minor - I don't play games on my kindle much anymore (and it's yet another reason to justify keeping my K3) but I can't send ANY active content to the Voyage - Shuffled Row, Every Word, etc.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #90 on: October 21, 2014, 06:32:40 pm »
    This is relatively minor - I don't play games on my kindle much anymore (and it's yet another reason to justify keeping my K3) but I can't send ANY active content to the Voyage - Shuffled Row, Every Word, etc.

Those didn't work with the PW either, as I recall. At least some didn't. I actually deleted them from my Amazon account because they didn't work on my newer devices and, anyway, I'd not played them in, literally, years. The only one that still worked on the PW was NotePad plus but even that shows as not available for the Voyage.  Of course, it might be updated at some point. . . .
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline lindnet

• Redding, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #91 on: October 21, 2014, 06:38:22 pm »
    I got mine this afternoon, and my very first impression was how small and light it was, yay!  I really like the power button where it is, and the text is nice and crisp.  I'm not sure I see a major difference from my PW2 as far as the lighting or text goes.  I really like the page turn thing they did, and will use it when I'm reading at home. 

It did cross my mind not to keep it because it wasn't that much different screen-wise to me, but I like the smaller lightness and the page turns enough to sell the PW2 and keep the V. 
    Linda

• Charlotte, VT
      • View Profile
      • Eltanin Publishing
    « Reply #92 on: October 21, 2014, 06:40:49 pm »
    Those didn't work with the PW either, as I recall. At least some didn't. I actually deleted them from my Amazon account because they didn't work on my newer devices and, anyway, I'd not played them in, literally, years. The only one that still worked on the PW was NotePad plus but even that shows as not available for the Voyage.  Of course, it might be updated at some point. . . .

I don't play them much any more, but on my PW2, when I tap "My Items", a choice is "Active Content" and that isn't even a choice on the V. On the PW2, I had Shuffled Row, Thread Words, Chess, Mine Sweeper, Nonograms, and Every Word. Some games didn't work on the PW2, such as Triple Town, some Soduko my mom bought for her K3 on my account, etc. Oh well - I've got a smart phone now for playing games, and that's probably what Amazon is thinking - phase it out. I'm just surprised because the interface seems so similar to the PW - the OS isn't very different at all - so I'm surprised no games work.

Offline dianasg

• Greener pastures!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #93 on: October 21, 2014, 07:46:08 pm »
    http://gizmodo.com/just-how-much-better-is-amazons-kindle-voyage-screen-1648951818

I just wanted to share that gizmodo has some EXCELLENT comparison images of the screen on the Voyage and the one on the Paperwhite. The shots compare text sharpness/resolution, glare, and lighting.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #94 on: October 21, 2014, 08:01:09 pm »
    They're all that way (white at the bottom, and orange/pink/green/whatever) at the top, sadly. Your eyes will try to adjust, but it's there. I'm really bummed... I'm still stuck on my Kindle Touch since Amazon has yet to improve on it. Why can't they get the front-light right??

I don't see any color shift on the Voyage at all...and after the first day of delivery, I'm pretty certain no one can say with certainty that "all of them" are any particular way, sorry to disagree.  I have the light turned down a bit, and I can tell it's coming from the bottom, but if I make it brighter, I don't see that.

Another first impression--I kind of like the angular back--it reminds me of the K1.

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline lindnet

• Redding, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #95 on: October 21, 2014, 08:14:30 pm »

Another first impression--I kind of like the angular back--it reminds me of the K1.

Betsy

I like the similarity to the K1 as well!  But.....I already have prints on the back that I can't seem to get off.  I'm hoping for a skin.
    Linda

Offline sparklemotion

• New York
      • View Profile
    « Reply #96 on: October 21, 2014, 08:36:38 pm »
    I got my THREE Kindle Voyages today, and they're all going back. Amazon simply hasn't learned from the Paperwhite, that many of us like to read on an evenly lit screen, and preferably without bright, shining specks of dust inside the glass.

Here's a picture of one of the Kindle Voyage units. All three are about EXACTLY the same. Very white at the bottom, getting muddier/green toward the top, and then pink in the top right and top left. You can't see it outside or in bright light, but in a normal, dimmer room, it's so obvious. And it's a real shame because the sharpness of the text is GORGEOUS.

Of course, all the reviews we've seen only show the Paperwhite in a bright environment....

For me, the Voyage is a total failure, and a massive disappointment.

So sorry, William. Same exact problem here. I see it very clearly on your screen. Such a shame. Others over at mobile read are reporting the same thing as well. Two toned screens with the top being more yellow and the bottom more blue/white. Pathetic. Like the PW screen issues all over again.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    ~ Dr. Seuss

Offline NightReader

• View Profile
    « Reply #97 on: October 21, 2014, 09:14:20 pm »
    I didn't notice it until I got down to reading in the bedroom, but mine also has lighting issues.  In my normal reading light, it is blueish at the bottom and beigeish at the top.

I think I'm returning it anyway because the right page turn press is not right. The left one works fine, but the right one barely registers a feedback and is hit or miss unless I hit it just perfect.  Does anyone else have page press issues?

I may not replace it because my PW2 has a splendid screen and the page turn press buttons aren't all that I hoped for.  I'm thinking they may not work well once the KV is in a case.

If anyone wants my opinion, I would say the KV would be a great upgrade for anyone who has a PW1, but maybe not so much if you have a good PW2.

Edited to add:  And I know this probably sounds silly, but I like the way the PW screen feels better.  I like that kind of papery feel it has.
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 09:16:51 pm by NightReader »

Offline J_T

• View Profile
    « Reply #98 on: October 21, 2014, 09:21:51 pm »
    The yellow top half seems to be a common complaint and not the result of a rare defect. I went ahead and cancelled my pre-order for now until I can take a look at it in a store. The marque lights on PW1 drove me crazy.

Offline WilliamG

• View Profile
    « Reply #99 on: October 21, 2014, 09:59:35 pm »
    So sorry, William. Same exact problem here. I see it very clearly on your screen. Such a shame. Others over at mobile read are reporting the same thing as well. Two toned screens with the top being more yellow and the bottom more blue/white. Pathetic. Like the PW screen issues all over again.
    The yellow top half seems to be a common complaint and not the result of a rare defect. I went ahead and cancelled my pre-order for now until I can take a look at it in a store. The marque lights on PW1 drove me crazy.

The problem is that in a store or any bright lights, inside or out, you simply cannot see these color irregularities. I have three that are all close to identical! THREE!

Others here simply won't see the issue even when presented with it, and I don't blame them. Some people are simply not as visually picky. Fair enough.

I'm still so bummed about this. I've been waiting to upgrade my Kindle Touch for so long.. :(

KBoards.com

• Advertisement