Author Topic: Kindle Voyage First Impressions  (Read 69203 times)  

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Voyage First Impressions
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 12:31:37 pm »
Any ideas why a book that I've had on (at least) 3 different kindles "cannot be loaded onto this device"???  :o

Have you used up your licenses? There's a limit -- usually 6 unless it says something different. Maybe the license from it's downloading to some previous kindle wasn't properly released? (I'm assuming this is a book bought from Amazon.)

Best as I can tell from reading through the users guide the formats are the same as on the PW.
My Kindles
Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 12:42:35 pm »
    I ate lunch at home, and as I had fantasized, UPS came early and I have my Voyage! Unfortunately I only had a few minutes to play with it, but the screen is great, and I did not find haptic feedback on the buttons to be distracting as I'd feared. It arrived about 2/3 charged, so I plugged it in and reluctantly went back to work!

After dealing with my Fire HDX, I didn't even notice about the flush bezel.

Tonight is the big reading orgy with my fully charged Voyage! I will probably begin with Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, since I'm naming my Voyage Captain Nemo.
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Online Jen200

• OK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 12:48:10 pm »
    Mine arrived about 10 minutes ago.  I love it.  I see a huge difference in the clarity of the book covers.   I love the page turn sensors, although I am still getting used to it.  The light sensor is working well in the office.  The light was set at 17 and was blinding me.  It immediately adjusted to a good level when I turned on the auto adjust. It seems brighter compared to my Paperwhite.  Font appears the same size.  I don't see any shadows. Gotta get back to work but thought I would take a break and share my first impressions.

Offline Meka

• Las Vegas, NV
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 01:11:03 pm »
    A couple of people on the Amazon Kindle forum reported their charging ports were loose,  anyone here notice the same problem?

Sent from my Galaxy Mega using Tapatalk

Offline Gone 9/21/18

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 01:17:05 pm »
    Mine came much earlier than I expected and I've played with it just a few minutes - have some things I have to do this afternoon.

It has a 50% charge on it already, so I'll leave it plugged in to fully charge.

The clarity is amazing. I'm one who never kvetched about the lighting on the PW1, but this is absolutely superior. Even, even, even. Clarity is astounding.

My main reason for indulging in this (and mine is very high priced since I need 3G) was the page turn buttons, and they're absolutely worth it. None of the descriptions made me entirely confident the buttons wouldn't be hokey and unsatisfactory. They're great. Work great. And without realizing it (I didn't read online documentation ahead of time and in fact still haven't), it takes care of my other main gripe - it has a fast and easy way to move from chapter to chapter.

Unless it dies instead of charging when I leave it plugged in, it's staying. I love it already.

P.S. When I went to post, I got a warning about Meka's post. To answer - no, my charging port isn't loose.

P.S.2 I wonder if others when they saw the small package couldn't help but remember the packaging on the K1? I loved it so much at the time.
    I did not and will not consent to VerticalScope's TOS.

Offline JosieGirl71

• View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 01:17:50 pm »
    A couple of people on the Amazon Kindle forum reported their charging ports were loose,  anyone here notice the same problem?

Mine is loose.  :(

ETA:  I can wiggle the cord while the Voyage is plugged in.
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:22:13 pm by JosieGirl71 »

Offline Eltanin Publishing

• Charlotte, VT
    • Cathy Ryan - Editor-in-Chief
      • View Profile
      • Eltanin Publishing
    « Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 01:21:51 pm »
    My main reason for indulging in this (and mine is very high priced since I need 3G) was the page turn buttons, and they're absolutely worth it. None of the descriptions made me entirely confident the buttons wouldn't be hokey and unsatisfactory. They're great. Work great. And without realizing it (I didn't read online documentation ahead of time and in fact still haven't), it takes care of my other main gripe - it has a fast and easy way to move from chapter to chapter.

In what way do you use the page turn buttons to move from chapter to chapter? Or do you mean the kindle (not the page turn buttons) take care of that gripe?

Offline Gone 9/21/18

• View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: October 21, 2014, 01:28:45 pm »
    In what way do you use the page turn buttons to move from chapter to chapter? Or do you mean the kindle (not the page turn buttons) take care of that gripe?

It's not in the buttons. What I discovered is if I swipe the screen from bottom to top, it brings up a window with a small image of where I am and at the bottom a scale of the book with arrows at each end. Touching those arrows takes you ahead (or back) chapter by chapter. I absolutely hated the tap to bring up the menu at the top, tap Go To, often swipe to get to the chapter I want to reach, then tap on that chapter - and the need to do the whole thing again if I want to go ahead to the chapter after that. This is almost, if not quite, as good as being able to just press the side of the 5-way controller on the KK.
    I did not and will not consent to VerticalScope's TOS.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: October 21, 2014, 01:39:51 pm »
    Mine came much earlier than I expected and I've played with it just a few minutes - have some things I have to do this afternoon.

It has a 50% charge on it already, so I'll leave it plugged in to fully charge.

The clarity is amazing. I'm one who never kvetched about the lighting on the PW1, but this is absolutely superior. Even, even, even. Clarity is astounding.

Totally agree about the clarity -- really pretty remarkable. And you basically can't see how the lighting works . . . .it just does. Even on the PW if you looked down into the bottom of the screen you could see the light points. It's totally magic! :D

Several have said this about the chapter to chapter navigation, but I don't think it's any different than the way it worked on the 2013PW: swipe up from the bottom and and tap to jump chapters. Not sure if the 2012PW got the feature via a software update.

Unless it dies instead of charging when I leave it plugged in, it's staying. I love it already.

P.S. When I went to post, I got a warning about Meka's post. To answer - no, my charging port isn't loose.

Neither is mine . . . quite tight, in fact.

P.S.2 I wonder if others when they saw the small package couldn't help but remember the packaging on the K1? I loved it so much at the time.

Sure is different isn't it! I think you could fit 4 Voyage boxes in the same volume as one original Kindle box. :D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 01:50:01 pm »
    Several have said this about the chapter to chapter navigation, but I don't think it's any different than the way it worked on the 2013PW: swipe up from the bottom and and tap to jump chapters. Not sure if the 2012PW got the feature via a software update.

Yes, the original PW got the update in navigation with the latest push.

Offline Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: October 21, 2014, 01:52:02 pm »
    First impression is coming from a PW1, the screen is a huge improvement. The blacks are more black. The lighting is absolutely uniform. The text is very crisp, but also seems to be a bit larger at the same size setting. The page turn buttons, we'll see. I'm not nearly as excited about these as I'd hoped. It feels lighter, but I put my PaperWhite into the case two years ago and never looked back. I really need a case for this guy and they're all sold out forever. I really wish the Origami wasn't priced comparably to a vacation home.

Yes, now that I fidgit with it, the USB plug seems a little less firm than the PW and wobbles a little bit, but I plugged it into a Fire HD and it wobbled a whole lot more and I've never even noticed it until now.

Offline kb7uen Gene

• Grand Forks ND
    • Life is stranger than fiction, read anyway.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: October 21, 2014, 01:52:58 pm »
    I just saw it and I'm in love!  Amazon addressed all the issues with the PW2 I had related to my eye condition.  The case is also well thought out with the overall outcome being a very sleek product design.  In my opinion, the only thing left for Amazon related to improving on the Kindle is color.
    Gene
    Thank-you Amazon for the Kindle, I am reading print again after being away from it for 15 years because of decreasing vision.  I never walk out my front door without my Kindle DXG and Fire, they have been both liberating and life changing for me.  Thanks again.  Sincerely, Gene

Offline JosieGirl71

• View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: October 21, 2014, 02:37:02 pm »
    I talked to Amazon customer service about the loose portal.  They are sending a new one but without special offers.  After talking to them, I checked the portal again and the usb cord has a lot of give but I'm second guessing whether or not it will affect charging.  I'm not sure if it's the cord or the Voyage.  When I look at the portal, it looks solid but I don't understand why the cord moves at all when plugged in.  None of my Apple products have any wiggle room.  My concern is that the movement will eventually cause the portal to disconnect inside.  I don't want to take advantage of Amazon so if the new one does the same, I will call them and see how they want to handle it.

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: October 21, 2014, 02:40:11 pm »
    Have you used up your licenses? There's a limit -- usually 6 unless it says something different. Maybe the license from it's downloading to some previous kindle wasn't properly released? (I'm assuming this is a book bought from Amazon.)

Best as I can tell from reading through the users guide the formats are the same as on the PW.

That is such a problem!! I'm on my 3rd E-ink kindle, 2nd ipad and 2nd iphone and can't download some books now

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

Offline Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: October 21, 2014, 02:44:22 pm »
    None of my Apple products have any wiggle room.

Keep in mind they also all use proprietary connectors and the cables cost -gah-

And I take it back, I'm digging the buttons. The text is so clear it's actually mildly distracting.

Offline JosieGirl71

• View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: October 21, 2014, 02:45:52 pm »
    Keep in mind they also all use proprietary connectors and the cables cost -gah-

And I take it back, I'm digging the buttons. The text is so clear it's actually mildly distracting.

So is it normal to be able to wiggle it back and forth?  Gah!  Now I'm worried that it's normal and I got customer service involved for nothing.

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: October 21, 2014, 02:53:26 pm »
    So far.. I'm very happy with the Voyage.  As one of those who disliked using touch to turn pages, I have the best of both worlds now.   I definitely will need a new cover since it is much smaller than any of my previous Kindles, including the PW I had for awhile.   I do have a lot to learn now.. I fell behind when I got rid of the PW.   Especially this whole issue of the Cloud versus Device..   As much as I can tell.... I can see all my books in grey under each collection and then just have to click on one of them to have it downloaded..  Nice...  So much easier than having to find the books I wanted to downline online..

And this screen is really amazing... ;D ;D ;D
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:02:04 pm by bordercollielady »

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: October 21, 2014, 02:57:33 pm »

No problem here..

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: October 21, 2014, 02:58:30 pm »
    That is such a problem!! I'm on my 3rd E-ink kindle, 2nd ipad and 2nd iphone and can't download some books now

But if you've properly released the licenses it shouldn't be a problem.  I'd suggest doing an inventory -- figure out if the books are on 6 active devices and, if so, you'll just have to delete them from at least one.  If they're not, it's possible the licenses didn't get released when the device was transferred.  In that case, a call to Kindle Customer Service should get you sorted out.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #44 on: October 21, 2014, 02:59:32 pm »
    So is it normal to be able to wiggle it back and forth?  Gah!  Now I'm worried that it's normal and I got customer service involved for nothing.

Mine seems tight--though there is a slight wiggle left to right, it's the same on my PW2 and I never had noticed it.

I wish there were a slight bump or little raised line where the PagePress buttons are, I can't really tell where they are in the dark (which is where I'm reading now as hubby is taking a nap in the living room before dinner).

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: October 21, 2014, 03:02:16 pm »

Here's the thing: YOU have to be satisfied with it.  If you're not, then you should contact Kindle CS -- they want completely satisfied customers.

And a lot of it is subjective. What bothers you might not bother me and vice versa, even if it's within 'normal' tolerances.  Fortunately, they have routinely EXCELLENT customer service and will likely not give you any trouble about replacing it.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline TammyC

• PA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: October 21, 2014, 03:08:57 pm »
    Just getting home from work and getting my hands on it, but in the first few minutes I am very impressed! The lighting is much more even than my paperwhite and the text seems crisper. I love the return of the buttons (I missed them so). So far I'm very happy.  I'm off to play more but here is a quick shot of it next to my paperwhite for comparison.  Love New Kindle Day!!  :D

Tammy

Offline JosieGirl71

• View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: October 21, 2014, 03:11:46 pm »
    Thank you, Betsy and Ann.  We'll see how the new one is.  I don't care about the upgrade to a unit without special offers but thought it was a nice gesture on Amazon's part. 

I can't wait to try this thing out in the dark!

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #48 on: October 21, 2014, 03:12:36 pm »
    Tammy--

can't see the pic?

I'm reading my current book on it, really enjoying it.  The best Kindle yet.  And the joy of turning pages without really moving my thumb is outstanding!

And, when I set it down on a surface, being able to still turn the page with a quick light screen tap is nice too.

Betsy
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:14:09 pm by Betsy the Quilter »
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #49 on: October 21, 2014, 03:19:22 pm »
    Does anyone know how to take a screenshot on the Voyage yet? I tried touching opposite corners and both bottom corners (I think one of those was how you do it on PW).

Here's a screenshot taken with the alternate corner press:

Leslie Nicoll

KBoards.com

• Advertisement