Kindle Forum banner

Kindle Voyage First Impressions

79K views 479 replies 110 participants last post by  Bibliophile 
#1 ·
I figured this would be a good place for everyone who is receiving their Kindle Voyage over the coming days and weeks to post their initial impressions.

So, you fine lucky people, let's hear your thoughts... likes, dislikes, comparisons, whatever!

#177 ·
Hi everyone, mostly lurker here but I do enjoy reading everyones opinions. Got my Voyage, love it. Was reading last night with just a lamp on & thought, hmmm, is this screen ok? I have a pw 1 & never had an issue but wondering if my Voyage has a yellow tint? Or am I imagining it?

Thanks for the responses,
Joanne

I think I have one at a 13 level & one at 19. Opinions?

#178 ·
what Amazon told me was with auto brightness on and in your darkest room you set the level you want and than hit the large - at the bottom to set your preferred minimum brightness. To set your auto max setting you do the opposite you find the brightest place you will read and adjust it to the level you like and hit the + at the top to lock it...I tried this with the tech and it works or least for now it does :) ...btw if you get in an area that it in between it adjusts between those 2 levels...hope that made sense...

#179 ·
niczac said:
Hi everyone, mostly lurker here but I do enjoy reading everyones opinions. Got my Voyage, love it. Was reading last night with just a lamp on & thought, hmmm, is this screen ok? I have a pw 1 & never had an issue but wondering if my Voyage has a yellow tint? Or am I imagining it?

Joanne

Honestly: it doesn't matter what we think. Does it work for you? Though I'd also advise trying not to obsess over it and just read. If it doesn't keep you from getting lost in your book, then maybe it's not that big a deal.

And, for me, pictures never do the screens justice. I've tried taking pictures of my kindles and even though the screens look perfect to me in real life, the picture makes it look off.

But you've got 30 days to use it; give yourself time to play with it before you decide. :)

#181 ·
larryb52 said:
what Amazon told me was with auto brightness on and in your darkest room you set the level you want and than hit the large - at the bottom to set your preferred minimum brightness. To set your auto max setting you do the opposite you find the brightest place you will read and adjust it to the level you like and hit the + at the top to lock it...I tried this with the tech and it works or least for now it does :) ...btw if you get in an area that it in between it adjusts between those 2 levels...hope that made sense...
Thanks, larry. That makes a lot of sense. Wish they'd spelled that out in the User Guide! I'm not finding anything about using the auto adjust or nightlight feature on the help page at Amazon either. :(

#182 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
Well . . . . that makes sense. If there's very little ambient light, once your eyes adjust, you don't need much light on the kindle to see just fine. Maybe what you need to set is the Nightlight mode: Menu, settings, device options, screen light. With that turned on, when you go to a darker place, it will gradually dim the screen -- rather than just go suddenly dark. For it to work, you have to have auto-brightness on.
There was not enough light to read by. Just a tiny nightlight that gives off almost no light. It set the light level at NO light, the screen was NOT readable. While I do agree low light situations mean lower level on the kindle, I don't think they mean no light on the kindle.
It was the only time I've seen it do that either so it might have just been a glitch.

Oh and I do have Nightlight mode on.
I still do like it overall.

#183 ·
niczac said:
I know pictures can never do it justice & it didn't bother me when I got it but reading last night it was noticeable to me. My pw1 never had a yellow tint so, yes i will decide if its worth returning for a new unit or not.

Thanks
It's also best to compare with exactly the same light level, same book, same type size and style, etc.

OTOH, it could be you notice the light being yellowish compared to your PW but if you just use the V for a while, you'll find it doesn't bother you as much as you think.

And, FWIW <warning: science content ahead> blue light tends to be the kind that stimulates you to wake and be alert, which is part of the reason it's often advised NOT to use tablets and phones right before bed. So it may be they made a conscious effort to find a light that was less blue since so many folks read before going to bed.

#184 ·
crisandria said:
There was not enough light to read by. Just a tiny nightlight that gives off almost no light. It set the light level at NO light, the screen was NOT readable. While I do agree low light situations mean lower level on the kindle, I don't think they mean no light on the kindle.
It was the only time I've seen it do that either so it might have just been a glitch.

Oh and I do have Nightlight mode on.
I still do like it overall.
That does seem a bit extreme . . . . . I'd suggest you try the trick Larry shared that he got from the Kindle support people.

#185 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
It's also best to compare with exactly the same light level, same book, same type size and style, etc.

OTOH, it could be you notice the light being yellowish compared to your PW but if you just use the V for a while, you'll find it doesn't bother you as much as you think.

And, FWIW <warning: science content ahead> blue light tends to be the kind that stimulates you to wake and be alert, which is part of the reason it's often advised NOT to use tablets and phones right before bed. So it may be they made a conscious effort to find a light that was less blue since so many folks read before going to bed.
I did take the pics at the same light level at the same spot in the book. I'm not one to make a fuss & exchange my kindle, I've always been thrilled with my units. I guess I just wanted to see if anyone else's was like this & is it normal? It's an expensive item to just settle.

;)

#186 ·
niczac said:
I did take the pics at the same light level at the same spot in the book. I'm not one to make a fuss & exchange my kindle, I've always been thrilled with my units. I guess I just wanted to see if anyone else's was like this & is it normal? It's an expensive item to just settle.

;)
Ah! You'd said one was at 13 and one was at 19 and I thought you meant the two devices but you meant the two sets of pictures. Sorry.

I've compared my PW screen to my V screen in same lighting conditions and the V does look a bit less 'blue'. But a whole lot better contrast and clarity. That's what's critical to me since I will rarely be using both devices at the same time. And even if I did, the difference in light color doesn't matter to me. :)

#187 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
Ah! You'd said one was at 13 and one was at 19 and I thought you meant the two devices but you meant the two sets of pictures. Sorry.

I've compared my PW screen to my V screen in same lighting conditions and the V does look a bit less 'blue'. But a whole lot better contrast and clarity. That's what's critical to me since I will rarely be using both devices at the same time. And even if I did, the difference in light color doesn't matter to me. :)
Thanks for your input Ann!

#188 ·
larryb52 said:
Thanks Larryb Great info! Amazon needs to add this to the Voyage User Guide ;)

#190 ·
niczac said:

Joanne

I disagree with Ann about the pictures. Personally, I think pictures are so helpful when talking about these problems.

I, and many other have the issues that you are reporting. There are lots of complaints about the Kindle Voyage screen problems - on other forums and on Amazon's website. Those pictures look much worse than mine but at least yours is almost 100% yellow. Mine is yellow towards the top of the screen and gets bluer at the bottom. Worse than reading on a LCD screen in my opinion. It is being shipped to Amazon's research center for what that's worth.

#191 ·
i don't have a Voyage (yet - but all these mostly glowing reviews have me pondering) but for those having issues finding the page press area in the dark I have a suggestion.

I had a Literati reader that had similar technology for page turning - there were arrows printed on the bezel that you pressed to turn the pages. They worked very well but there was no way to feel them in a dark bedroom. I put a little sticker on top of the arrows so I could feel where to press. I know it isn't ideal for a lovely brand-new device like the Voyage (the Literati was a cheapo ePub reader), but it could probably be a temporary thing until your muscle memory learns where those spots are. I used little star stickers like teachers use that I had on hand. Betsy had mentioned a tiny dot of Elmer's glue and that could work too. Even just a little piece of tape could probably work. Anything that's easily removed and won't damage the screen.

#195 ·
drew0020 said:
I disagree with Ann about the pictures. Personally, I think pictures are so helpful when talking about these problems.

I, and many other have the issues that you are reporting. There are lots of complaints about the Kindle Voyage screen problems - on other forums and on Amazon's website. Those pictures look much worse than mine but at least yours is almost 100% yellow. Mine is yellow towards the top of the screen and gets bluer at the bottom. Worse than reading on a LCD screen in my opinion. It is being shipped to Amazon's research center for what that's worth.
Thanks. I decided to call Amazon & they are sending me a new one. As I've said previously, I am not one who complains, always was happy. I think I've just spent too much on this to keep it. Let's hope the new one is better & if not, I'll decide if I can live with it. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#196 ·
I'm a computer guy and was asking too many technical questions about things and the 1st person sent me over to a more senior staff tech. I also fixed the problem I had trying to get the time in the chapter to cycle through the 4 options of time left in the book, location and page number. Mine would never change. It took a simple hard boot by pressing the button till it restarted, now it works. I got to talking about the auto light and she just gave me some some tips.

#198 ·
niczac said:
I know pictures can never do it justice & it didn't bother me when I got it but reading last night it was noticeable to me. My pw1 never had a yellow tint so, yes i will decide if its worth returning for a new unit or not.

Thanks
Since PW2, the high-res Kindle screens have been more yellow tinted, so it makes sense this might be true for Voyage as well. PW1 and the non-frontlit Kindles are more grey. PW2, and apparently Voyage, are more yellow.

#199 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
Honestly: it doesn't matter what we think. Does it work for you? Though I'd also advise trying not to obsess over it and just read. If it doesn't keep you from getting lost in your book, then maybe it's not that big a deal.

And, for me, pictures never do the screens justice. I've tried taking pictures of my kindles and even though the screens look perfect to me in real life, the picture makes it look off.

But you've got 30 days to use it; give yourself time to play with it before you decide. :)
I still somewhat disagree with you, Ann, on this one. :) There is a measurable truth about the screens, beyond just subjective experience. Photos may not always capture the full truth (taking accurate photos is hard), but they can allow a more objective measurement and communication of screen characteristics than merely subjective descriptions.

Not all screens are equal and while it is nice if and when something looks or feels subjectively good to someone, it isn't necessarily the most helpful attribute in a discussion about product features. Sometimes little more objective tools are useful, because not all share the same subjective experience.

#200 ·
drew0020 said:

I know this is off topic, but I think it's still related to this topic. When we compared our 2 PW2 screens. My wife's is on the slightly yellow side and mine is slightly on the blue side. She likes hers because it's easier on the eyes. I like mine, because it looks slightly sharper. :)

#201 ·
CAR said:
I know this is off topic, but I think it's still related to this topic. When we compared our 2 PW2 screens. My wife's is on the slightly yellow side and mine is slightly on the blue side. She likes hers because it's easier on the eyes. I like mine, because it looks slightly sharper. :)
There is variance between e-ink screens and LED lights tolerances (some stories in my signature), so that sounds like a perfectly plausible situation for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.