Author Topic: Anyone tried the Mighty Bright Ultrathin LED Book Light?  (Read 4591 times)  

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • Kindle Screensavers
Anyone tried the Mighty Bright Ultrathin LED Book Light?
« on: February 12, 2010, 09:14:41 am »
I just ordered the black one... looks pretty cool. There's a review on the silver one that says it works good with the Kindle. I'm also thinking that since it's only a 1/2" thin it might fit inside my Oberon cover... I'll let you guys know how well it works when I receive it... in the meantime would love to hear any reviews if anyone already has it. The prices seem to vary greatly, but so does the shipping. For instance, I paid $12.99 but got free shipping. Other stores sell it for under $10 but then add several dollars for shipping.

The reviewer on the black one also pointed out that Amazon sells a 25-pack of the Lithium batteries for $5...

« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 08:39:30 am by Harvey »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline kindlemama

• View Profile
    Re: Anyone tried the Mighty Bright Ultrathin LED Book Light?
    « Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 09:34:16 am »
    911jason, I'd be wary of the non-name brand batteries that are selling for so little.  I read some of the reviews, and on one of them (no-name) someone specifically said that they didn't last as long as the name brands.

I haven't looked too hard, but this is the best price I've heard of so far ($1.80 for a 5-pack of Maxwell's with free shipping):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000X107GI/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&tag=kbpst-20&condition=new

Someone posted that on an Amazon thread, and I put it on my Wishlist for future reference.  : )

That Mighty Brite does look cool.  Please let us know how it works out.  I'm always in search of a better light.   :-\  I'm happy with my Kandle right now, but this one looks like it might travel even better than the Kandle.  I'm really interested in that new Octovo one that's coming out in the spring.  That one looks pretty cool too!
    « Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 08:39:51 am by Harvey »

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 09:40:04 am »
    For the price, I'm not overly concerned about the batteries... but if I find they perform particularly bad, I'll try a different brand when I run out. I actually ended up buying 2 of the 25-packs to qualify for free shipping on the rest of my order (the Mighty Bright shipped free regardless). So I don't think I'll be running out anytime soon... =)

Offline VictoriaP

• Rainy, dreary, gray Puget Sound
    • ^ ...wish I was back here...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 09:59:57 am »
    I'll definitely be interested to see what you think.  The big plus for me with the "regular" MB is the flexibility; being able to position it absolutely anywhere to avoid glare is key.  Unfortunately, none of the most portable seeming travel lights seem to have that feature, and all of them seem to be both prone to glare and to uneven coverage.  Fingers crossed that MB got it right!
    "If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats." -- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

Offline cheerio

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 11:22:23 am »
    25 pk of batteries, geez
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

"A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her." David Brinkle

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 04:50:11 pm »
    I'll definitely be interested to see what you think.  The big plus for me with the "regular" MB is the flexibility; being able to position it absolutely anywhere to avoid glare is key.  Unfortunately, none of the most portable seeming travel lights seem to have that feature, and all of them seem to be both prone to glare and to uneven coverage.  Fingers crossed that MB got it right!

I'll definitely let you know! =)

Offline skyblue

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 08:22:18 pm »
    Thanks, Jason, for the heads up on this book light.  I have a Mighty Bright travel light that annoys me.  It  isn't quite bright enough, doesn't illuminate the entire page, and I am constantly adjusting it.  As you saw on the other thread, I tried the Verilux book light without success.  The flickering was annoying.  The complete failure of the high beam was a huge let down.

I am going to search local book and craft stores to see if I can locate the Ultra thin model.  I ordered the Kandle, but I am less than confident that it will be adequate, and I don't want to have to endure more shipping delays.  Also, the fact that it is half the price is mighty appealing.

Offline raven312

• Chicago
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 11:11:40 pm »
    I'd looked at this one too but it didn't have enough endorsements for me to try it.  I would be very interested to know how it works for you; I'm still looking for the "perfect" light... 

Offline loca

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 10:11:41 am »
    I'd looked at this one too but it didn't have enough endorsements for me to try it.  I would be very interested to know how it works for you; I'm still looking for the "perfect" light... 

I'm thinking o buying this for my bf, he always complains about the light issue when using my K

Offline macuser

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 11:12:04 am »
    I use Mighty Bright's TravelFlex LED book light with my Kindle 2. The flexible neck lets me adjust it perfectly to avoid any glare or "hot spots" on the Kindle screen. I bought it locally at Barnes&Noble.

Here's a pic I took of it attached to my JAVOedge flip style case for Kindle:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3213444&op=5&o=global&view=global&subj=14408401557&id=851039838

Offline Granvillen

• My Dog - Shadow
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 11:23:40 am »
    Hi Jason.  I got my CR2032 batteries here http://www.megabatteries.com/item_details2.asp?id=14774&cat_id=405&uid=1639
    They were only $1.80 each and the are named brands like duracell, etc
    Granvillen

Kindle Enabler

Offline raven312

• Chicago
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 01:22:37 pm »
    I've decided to order this light and compare it to the Kandle.  For the price, it's definitely worth the shot.  I have found that I don't like the flexible lights as the ones I've tried require too much fiddling to avoid glare (I read in bed a lot, which causes me to hold my Kindle at strange angles sometimes...)  I think that all of them, if bright enough for you, are great when you're reading head-on.

Offline skyblue

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 01:27:41 pm »
    No luck on the Ultathin at the craft store, but I did find a Mighty Bright Telescoping light at the book store.  It is smaller and less cumbersome than the big clip on Mighty Brights, and I like the pull out telescoping light.  You can pull it out as far as needed and adjust the light to cover the page and avert glare.  It closes up to a relatively small footprint which is great for travel.

The real test will be tonight.  I plan on giving it a good test run.

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 02:03:32 pm »
    Hi Jason.  I got my CR2032 batteries here http://www.megabatteries.com/item_details2.asp?id=14774&cat_id=405&uid=1639
    They were only $1.80 each and the are named brands like duracell, etc

That's a huge price difference from what I paid on Amazon... just over 23 cents per battery. Not sure if you have to pay shipping on your site either, so that might increase the end price. These batteries would have to be really, really bad to make me pay $1.80 for the name brand alternative. Out of 45 reviews on the generic batteries I purchased, there are 27 5-star reviews and an average of 4-stars overall.

Offline cheerio

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 07:26:58 pm »
    I use Mighty Bright's TravelFlex LED book light with my Kindle 2. The flexible neck lets me adjust it perfectly to avoid any glare or "hot spots" on the Kindle screen. I bought it locally at Barnes&Noble.

Here's a pic I took of it attached to my JAVOedge flip style case for Kindle:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3213444&op=5&o=global&view=global&subj=14408401557&id=851039838

I think LEDs are the way to go
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

"A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her." David Brinkle

Offline skyblue

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 08:31:47 am »
    Over all, my first experience with the Mighty Bright Telescoping light was positive!  The light attached easily to my Oberon cover.  I was able to position the telescoping arm and adjust the beam for perfect illumination and no glare.  It was secure.  It didn't wobble, and it didn't require any adjustment the entire time I was reading.  This is by far superior to my Mighty Bright ultra flex travel light.  The only negative I can find is that it is heavy.  (Those 3 AAA batteries do add weight) I definitely need to rest it on something when reading when the light is attached.

I also have a Mighty Bright Ultra thin and a Kandle on order.  I am hoping the ultra thin will be lighter, thus making it a better option for travel.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 03:22:00 pm by Harvey »

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 03:19:32 pm »
    Mine should be here Monday, so I'll be able shed more "illumination" :D on the subject tomorrow..

Offline VictoriaP

• Rainy, dreary, gray Puget Sound
    • ^ ...wish I was back here...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 05:14:33 pm »
    Over all, my first experience with the Mighty Bright Telescoping light was positive!  

skyblue--how even is the illumination with this one?  That's probably my biggest gripe about most of these vs. the flexible head ones--with the MBII, I can adjust the coverage so the K2 screen is almost perfectly evenly lit, and I've not seen that with any others.
    "If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats." -- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

Offline skyblue

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 06:38:42 am »
    skyblue--how even is the illumination with this one?  That's probably my biggest gripe about most of these vs. the flexible head ones--with the MBII, I can adjust the coverage so the K2 screen is almost perfectly evenly lit, and I've not seen that with any others.

Victoria,
    The illumination is excellent!  The telescoping arm and adjustable head allow you to perfectly position the light for optimum coverage.  The entire page is completely illuminated, with no shadows or dim areas.  The extension arm doesn't obstruct views, and it stays where it is placed.  Once I turn on the light I don't want to have to think about it.  This one passed the test.

This light also doubles as a task light.  It is available with or without the power cord.  I purchased the model without the cord.

Offline OCTOVO

• San Francisco USA
    • Kindle Accessories by Octovo - Read in Style!
      • View Profile
      • Octovo - Accessories for Smart devices
    « Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 09:22:20 am »
    Hi all,

See review of Octovo's new Kindle Light. It will be available the end of March - http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10449281-1.html

Harvey also did a review on it - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,20114.0.html

Best,
    Octovo
    OCTOVO
    Read in Style
    www.octostyle.com

Offline DramaMom

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 10:18:28 am »
    I have the Ultrathin, I went out and bought it yesterday at Border's. I'd seen it at Fry's Electronics, but bought a different one - the flex one. And while the Mighty Bright flex illuminates the page better than the M-Edge Illuminator2, I did have to keep adjust it as I read.

However, the MB Ultrathin LED light illuminated perfectly and I never had to adjust it as I read. There were times when the light sticking out caught me off guard until my eyes focused on it then I would go on reading. For the most part, it is easy to look past.  It slides right between my case and the kindle and fits very snug so it's not moving around. Here are some pictures:

This first one is looking from the top down so you can see how the light looks over the Kindle.

and this one is looking straight at the Kindle.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 10:35:31 am by DramaMom »

Offline skyblue

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 11:03:55 am »
    I have the Ultrathin, I went out and bought it yesterday at Border's. I'd seen it at Fry's Electronics, but bought a different one - the flex one. And while the Mighty Bright flex illuminates the page better than the M-Edge Illuminator2, I did have to keep adjust it as I read.

However, the MB Ultrathin LED light illuminated perfectly and I never had to adjust it as I read. There were times when the light sticking out caught me off guard until my eyes focused on it then I would go on reading. For the most part, it is easy to look past.  It slides right between my case and the kindle and fits very snug so it's not moving around. Here are some pictures:

This first one is looking from the top down so you can see how the light looks over the Kindle.

and this one is looking straight at the Kindle.

Thanks, DramaMom!  (Do you have kids who do theater?)  I love my MB telescoping light, but we travel a lot, and I'm afraid the extra weight is not conducive to travel.  If the ultra thin works out, I will use the telescoping light for home and the ultrathin for travel

Offline DramaMom

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 11:14:00 am »
    .Thanks, DramaMom!  (Do you have kids who do theater?)  I love my MB telescoping light, but we travel a lot, and I'm afraid the extra weight is not conducive to travel.  If the ultra thin works out, I will use the telescoping light for home and the ultrathin for travel

My daughter is involved in youth theatre (has a show coming up in a few weeks) and also in doing her school's spring play - good times!

The ultrathin is pretty light - I didn't notice any additional weight.

Offline skyblue

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 01:15:47 pm »
    My daughter is involved in youth theatre (has a show coming up in a few weeks) and also in doing her school's spring play - good times!

The ultrathin is pretty light - I didn't notice any additional weight.

Which show are they doing?  Our kids have done youth theater, too.

Offline DramaMom

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 04:05:04 pm »
    Which show are they doing?  Our kids have done youth theater, too.

Currently she is doing Aladdin and His Magic Lamp. It's a non-musical and not the Disney version. It's adapted from the original story and she is playing the part of Aladdin's mom. Very fun! She is doing a Broadway Review at school - the director and the vocal coach are writing it. Supposed to be similar to A Chorus Line but with Jr. High/High School kids. This is the schools first year so the fact they are doing any show is exciting. She is also going to audition for Godspell in March. We love theatre. :)

Are your children doing any shows now?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement