Author Topic: Hachette price drop  (Read 829 times)  

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
    • View Profile
Hachette price drop
« on: November 13, 2014, 08:18:04 pm »
Interesting... no sooner do I hear about the settlement on the news than I get an email telling me of a price drop from $12.99 to $7.99 on a Marcia Muller book published by Hachette earlier this year.

Hmmm.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 08:13:55 am by jmiked »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
    • Live! Live! Live! Life is a Banquet!
      • View Profile
    Re: Hachette price drop
    « Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 04:30:12 am »
    I have several Hachette books on my wishlist that hadn't dropped in price even though they've been available for quite some time.  All of them have dropped from 16% - 35% in price.   So, good for us.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 05:38:16 am »
    yes -- I've gotten a bunch of ereaderIQ price drop notifications in the last day or so. . . most titles dropping from the $9- $10 range down to $5 - $7.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 08:04:19 am »
    That's encouraging.. The link on Drudge says that  "Amazon was "pleased with this new agreement as it includes specific financial incentives for Hachette to deliver lower prices."

Hoping that includes my favorite authors like Preston and Child.
    « Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 08:22:17 am by bordercollielady »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 08:18:17 am »
    Just found 25 emails from ereaderiq in my inbox and they are all hachette. Most have gone down to 4 something from 7.99 and a few gone down for like 12 something to 7 something.

I like it.  ;D

Offline history_lover

• CO
      • View Profile
      • Historical Readings & Reviews
    « Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 09:33:59 am »
    Ohh that's why I've been getting a bunch of price drop alerts. All Hachette books! Just goes to show Amazon really were trying to discourage people from buying Hachette books.

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 11:09:19 am »
    Ohh that's why I've been getting a bunch of price drop alerts. All Hachette books! Just goes to show Amazon really were trying to discourage people from buying Hachette books.

I don't see that, without the contract Amazon could not lower the price, only Hachette could set the price, now with the new agreement Amazon can discount the price. You weren't getting price drop alerts before because there were no price drops.

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

Offline cinisajoy

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 12:02:46 pm »
    I see it as good,  we can get reasonably priced books.
    I also saw the no pre-orders as Amazon not wanting to upset the customers if the supplier didn't follow through.
    The customer does not care where the retailer gets something,  only that the customer gets what was promised to them
    https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,216185.msg3013849.html#new

Please help our friend and fellow kboarder Craig Hansen.

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 12:15:53 pm »
    I also saw the no pre-orders as Amazon not wanting to upset the customers if the supplier didn't follow through.
    The customer does not care where the retailer gets something,  only that the customer gets what was promised to them

I thought Amazon was being a little more calculating than that, but I think it tended to hurt their PR more than Hachette's so it didn't have the intended effect ....

Offline history_lover

• CO
      • View Profile
      • Historical Readings & Reviews
    « Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 02:29:32 pm »
    I don't see that, without the contract Amazon could not lower the price, only Hachette could set the price, now with the new agreement Amazon can discount the price. You weren't getting price drop alerts before because there were no price drops.

I was under the impression that all the publishers had to hand over control of pricing a while ago, when they settled the law suite against them. This was just contract negotiations.

Actually according to this: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/books/2014/11/13/amazon-hachette-settle-ebook-pricing-battle/18967761/ - Hachette still have control of pricing but have incentives to lower prices. Amazon are not the ones discounting the prices in this case.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 02:34:59 pm »
    I was under the impression that all the publishers had to hand over control of pricing a while ago, when they settled the law suite against them. This was just contract negotiations.

Actually according to this: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/books/2014/11/13/amazon-hachette-settle-ebook-pricing-battle/18967761/ - Hachette still have control of pricing but have incentives to lower prices. Amazon are not the ones discounting the prices in this case.

I think the thing is that Amazon wasn't doing ANYTHING while they were in dispute. So they weren't discounting. They weren't allowing pre-ordering of paper or ebooks. They weren't stocking paper books -- so if someone ordered there was a delay. (Arguably: they shouldn't have even been selling them.)  Anyway, now that they have a contract again, books can be discounted according to the terms therin.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 08:23:40 am »
    I think the prices are jumping around a bit.  When jmiked first pointed it out, I picked up one book that dropped from $10 to $6.50 and now it's back up to $9.50 ...

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 05:35:32 am »
    The few (3) Hachette books that I had on my Wishlist and quickly snapped up when the prices dropped to $5.84 each are now showing higher prices again: $6.07, $7.31, and $8.07.  So it looks like situation normal for the most part with some odd price changes and fluctuations.

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
      • View Profile
      • Bear Mountain Books
    « Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 06:25:07 pm »
    On another forum there are several reports of books jumping 3 to 10 dollars in the last few days.  When the S&S agreement was announced two books I was watching went from 5.99 to 9.99 and have stayed there (they are neither Hatchette nor S&S titles, but it happened the day the agreement was reached and the prices have stayed there.)

On the other forum the reports of prices going up is worldwide and across more than one publisher.  FWIW. 

KBoards.com

• Advertisement