Kindle Forum banner

Fun things to ask Alexa / The Echo

121K views 72 replies 17 participants last post by  Patricia 
#1 ·
We've been posting some of these in other threads, thought it would be fun to have them in one place!

Beam Me Up

How much wood can a woodchuck chuck?

Who's your daddy?

(Got these from a thread on Amazon)

Betsy

#28 ·
Well, IMDB is an Amazon company...I think part of the problem was she wasn't hearing the name properly--which might have been my pronunciation.

#30 ·
Yeah, I've been using IMDB for ages.  I was kind of surprised to learn it had become part of the Amazon umbrella. :)

Data is streamed from Amazon's cloud.  If Alexa doesn't know something, she'll send a Bing search to the app.  I think they're still building access.  Probably checking to see what people are asking.

Betsy

#31 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
No, not at this point. I asked her "who is jethro bodine" and "who played jethro bodine." but she didn't hear it right, according to the Bing Search cards in the Echo app.
I don't have an Echo to test, but maybe this would work?

"Alexa, Wikipedia: Jethro Bodine."

- or -

"Alexa, Wikipedia: Max Baer Jr."

It may not be able to correctly interpret the actor's last name, however, and think you mean bear.

#32 ·
DreamWeaver said:
I don't have an Echo to test, but maybe this would work?

"Alexa, Wikipedia: Jethro Bodine."

- or -

"Alexa, Wikipedia: Max Baer Jr."

It may not be able to correctly interpret the actor's last name, however, and think you mean bear.
That worked, it brought up the info for Max Baer Jr.

#33 ·
intinst said:
That worked, it brought up the info for Max Baer Jr.
Did it work for Jethro Bodine? The point for me was I didn't know the actor's name...

Betsy

#34 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Did it work for Jethro Bodine? The point for me was I didn't know the actor's name...

Betsy
Yep, asked "Wikipedia, Jethro Bodine" and "she" answered with Max Baer's info, including best known for The Beverly Hillbillies.

#35 ·
intinst said:
Yep, asked "Wikipedia, Jethro Bodine" and "she" answered with Max Baer's info, including best known for The Beverly Hillbillies.
Hmmm....I'll try that. I've never had to specify Wikipedia before--just "Who is" and she would read from Wikipedia. Of course, she never got "Jethro Bodine" I must have an accent. :D

#38 ·
NogDog said:
Not that I've seen the movie (okay, only a dozen times or more), but the quest is to seek the Holy Grail, not see it. 8)

PS: I tried asking Alexa if witches float, but she couldn't figure that one out. ;)
What if you asked "What also floats in water?"

#40 ·
LaraAmber said:
If Echo answers "Define Interesting" with ""Oh God, Oh God, We're all going to die?"" I will love her to the end of my days.
Sadly, Alexa tells me that the term interesting means "arousing or holding the attention."

#47 ·
I'm cracking up!

Showed it to hubby, he cracked up.  We don't have that problem except that sometimes he'll walk in and change the music I'm listening to.  We've made it a house rule that you can't change music in the middle of a song.

Betsy

#50 ·
Andra said:
Alexa is playing music.

Me: Alexa stop. (Music stops)
DH: Alexa don't stop. (Music plays)
Me: Alexa stop. (Music stops)
DH: Alexa don't listen to her. (Music plays)

He was cracking up...
I was reading this out loud (as if II had not already seen it) and music started playing. Must remember to not say Alexa unless I am really addressing the device. It did seem to be somewhat confused, tho, as it only played for a few seconds. ::)

#51 ·
Andra said:
She also knows rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock!
More than I do... *off to Google*

EDIT: Ah, Big Bang Theory... I've never watched it.

Betsy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.