Author Topic: The World is Not Falling Apart  (Read 364 times)  

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
    • View Profile
The World is Not Falling Apart
« on: December 24, 2014, 10:35:03 am »
An interesting article that provides a counterpoint to the incessant stream of stories from the media about violence in the world. It might make your holidays a bit brighter. Or at least less depressing when you watch the news.

Not for people with short attention spans.  ;D

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2014/12/the_world_is_not_falling_apart_the_trend_lines_reveal_an_increasingly_peaceful.single.html

Mike

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    Re: The World is Not Falling Apart
    « Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 10:41:10 am »
    Looks goo...  Squirrel! :D

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Melody Simmons

• View Profile
      • Bookcoverscre8tive
    « Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 10:44:26 am »
    Oh, it is so true!  News agencies focus only on the worst events...that is why I hang on Good News sites.  The sad part is the news agencies direct people's thoughts and emotions to make sure that there is always a frequency of fear on the planet.  Break free from that! Break free from the shackles! Every small little bit of happy, positive thinking helps!

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 10:59:03 am »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 11:09:11 am »
    Oh, it is so true!  News agencies focus only on the worst events...that is why I hang on Good News sites.  The sad part is the news agencies direct people's thoughts and emotions to make sure that there is always a frequency of fear on the planet.  Break free from that! Break free from the shackles! Every small little bit of happy, positive thinking helps!

Sadly, this is the case . . . because if they don't talk about the bad news/scandal stories they get left behind.  It's sort of NOT the news networks fault, though: more people seem to want the bad news stories -- if it's not on the station they're watching, they flip to one it is. And the network NOT covering it loses viewers. And then they lose ad revenue.  :( It's kind of a vicious cycle.

I do like that the NBC nightly news always includes a story at the end with a positive spin. The local stations here try to do that as well though, in both cases, as a percentage of time in broadcast it's pretty small.

And FB is pretty good if you happen to have friends who find the positive stuff and pass it on. (And, if all they pass on is the negative or mean stuff, they are 'un-friended'. ::) )
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Melody Simmons

• View Profile
      • Bookcoverscre8tive
    « Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 11:33:31 am »
    Sadly, this is the case . . . because if they don't talk about the bad news/scandal stories they get left behind.  It's sort of NOT the news networks fault, though: more people seem to want the bad news stories -- if it's not on the station they're watching, they flip to one it is. And the network NOT covering it loses viewers. And then they lose ad revenue.  :( It's kind of a vicious cycle.

I do like that the NBC nightly news always includes a story at the end with a positive spin. The local stations here try to do that as well though, in both cases, as a percentage of time in broadcast it's pretty small.

And FB is pretty good if you happen to have friends who find the positive stuff and pass it on. (And, if all they pass on is the negative or mean stuff, they are 'un-friended'. ::) )

All comes down to money, doesn't it?  But then they do a have a choice.  It comes down to how much you are prepared to sacrifice your principles for the sake of money...they could start a Happy News channel instead - they won't make their billions but they may survive and be far happier...there are some great Good News sites online - just Google around...

Here's a great story on one of the sites:

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/james-patterson-gives-million-dollars-independent-bookstores/

KBoards.com

• Advertisement