Kindle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Books Recommended by our Members

28K views 39 replies 33 participants last post by  xavier_2475 
#1 ·
For the list of recommendations in Q4 2014, look here:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,196021.0.html

If you are an author or publisher, please do not 'recommend' your own books. Instead you may start a discussion/promotion thread in the Book Bazaar.

Generally, this thread is for quick recommendations. You know, you're sitting with a friend at dinner and you say, "Hey, I just finished this book and I think you would love it!" That kind of thing.

If you've got a book review or other site and would like to regularly share reviews with us, we invite you to start a thread in the Book Bazaar for your site and periodically post links to reviews, subject to our posting rules for authors and bloggers.

Also, please use generic links, or, even better, the Link-Maker to make KindleBoards affiliate links. But please do not link through another site.

Please see Forum Decorum for guidelines.

Betsy, Ann, & Geoffrey
KB Moderators

See less See more
#2 ·
I've just finished The Free by Willy Vlautin (http://www.amazon.com/Free-Willy-Vlautin-ebook/dp/B00GQDKBSQ/ref=sr_1_1_twi_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421964569&sr=8-1&keywords=the+free ). It's a beautifully written tale that centres around carers in a hospital who have plenty of problems of their own to keep them busy. I'd say that it's a celebration of the nursing profession on one level and of human spirit on another. Terrific.

#3 ·
Pretty please include Golden Son by Pierce Brown. It's the second book in the Red Rising Trilogy and it's a fantastic read. (first book is a tad slow, but in the end is a great read)

I gave Red Rising away to five different people for Christmas this past year! :D

#6 ·
I just finished one that's due for a resurgence: Fadeout, by Joseph Hansen.

This guy is good. The hero is a hard-boiled insurance investigator, working in the early 70s (the first book in the series was published in 1970). Why is it timely? Because the investigator is gay. And not above busting heads. Also, great writing, great characters. I'm thrilled that it's the first in a series, and baffled that I'm only now hearing about him.

#7 ·
A few recommendations: anything Mark Dawson writes; he has 3 series out, John Milton a burnout UK covert operative; Beatrix Rose, a former UK operative searching for her daughter; and the Black Mile series, WWII noir. Tarah Benner; The Fringe and The Defectors series; both post-apocalyptic/dystopia; and Kate L. Mary, author of the Broken World series, more post-apocalyptic dystopia with some romance. Happy reading!

#11 ·
Book Review of Backward Compatible: A Geek Love Story by Sara Daltry and Pete Clark
Reviewed by Raymond Mathiesen
4 out of 5 stars

Is there someone for everyone? Even me?

Time is passing and the Y Generation have now become young adults. During this social period computers and the Internet have become household items, at least in the Upper and Middle classes. Online gaming has now become a subculture complete with language, social activities and dress. The word 'geek' has become more a description of an alternate subculture than a derogatory term. Daltry and Clarke take us on a wacky trip into the world of computer geeks, as they follow the hectic lives of Katie Garretty and George Lindell. Will this young woman and man come together in a sweet romance, or will they be doomed to remain single forever? Does being a computer geek mean you can never have self-respect, or can these young people grow in self-confidence? Will the pair ever battle their way to the end of Fatal Destiny, the game which dominates their young lives? Backward Compatible is a romantic comedy that will entertain those who enjoy reading New Adult or Young Adult fiction.

http://goo.gl/tTgTVO Backward Compatible (Kindle ed.)

#12 ·
#13 ·
I just finished One Wicked Weekend by Charlotte Russell last month and I loved it. I would strongly recommend it to fans of historical romance and I would give it 5 out of 5 stars within the romance category.

please no self-promotion -- of your own books or a review site you're connected with -- outside the Book Bazaar. Thanks for understanding. -- Ann

#14 ·
Killebrity by James Nowlan

High rollers and fast exits…

Mike Johnson, a veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan, has returned home to Los Angeles. Suffering from a severe case of PTSD he is unable to find work in law enforcement, so he has to settle for a job with a security agency that protects the rich and famous. He feigns an interest in developing contacts in the movie industry and becoming an actor to deflect questions regarding his psychological state.

Unfortunately for Mike, just as he begins his duties as guardian of the stars a mysterious cannibalistic cult of celebrity stalkers embarks on a campaign of terror against them. Our protagonist finds himself powerless to protect his charges from the slaughter inflicted by a foe even more relentless and resourceful than those he faced overseas. As their brutal tactics erode what little is left of his damaged psyche, contempt for his decadent masters grows within him.

About James Nowlan:
James Nowlan was born in Chicago but raised by backwoods hillbillies. Somehow he ended up living in Europe (he thinks that maybe someone hit him over the head and took him there in a sack). The only job he could find was a post as a security guard in the housing projects around Paris (a job they'd give to anyone because at the time ruthless, well organized bands of robbers were attacking armored cars with RPGs, AK 47s, and plastic explosives). These experiences served as inspiration for an autobiographical novella entitled Security. He's also written and directed Killavision, a feature length, trash gore satire of reality TV. Killebrity is his first novel.

http://goo.gl/ab5ePZ Killebrity (Kindle ed.)
http://goo.gl/ODTJMB Killebrity (Book ed.)
https://goo.gl/NwdH2x KILLEBRITY Facebook Group
https://goo.gl/1gqCpc James Nowlan's Facebook Page

#16 ·
I've just finished Echoes of Narcissus in the Gardens of Delight by Jo Robinson. It's one of the best books I've read in a long time. She creates a world which holds the reader in thrall, a world of fantasy and harsh psychological realities. Although the main character is trapped in a loveless marriage, she shows how resourceful and tenacious the human spirit in its drive for freedom and love. The beauty of the writing is sustained throughout the book. The Amazon link is: http://www.amazon.com/Echoes-Narcissus-Gardens-Delight-Robinson-ebook/dp/B00RBRYMD6/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1453259361&sr=1-1&keywords=Echoes+of+Narcissus+in+the+Gardens+of+Delight

#18 ·
Restless by Michelle Bellon

Funny, romantic, sexy…a love story.
You grow up. You get married. You have a family. At least, that's what Malea Winters believes she's supposed to do. So why is it that every time she comes close to finding that happily ever after, she runs?
When she meets Garrett Taylor, she warns him that she's not the marrying type because history has shown that long-term relationships are not her forte. She has a tendency to leave when things get too serious; the direct result of being raised by an emotionally detached mother and a stepdad with philandering ways. So she swore off men and surrounded herself with her best friends; three quirky, funny women who are facing challenges of their own.
But Garrett is everything she's ever looked for; charming, successful, fun, and sexy. Despite her better judgment, his persistence pays off and she finds herself falling for him.
Learning how to love and be loved will be the hardest lesson she's ever faced. The question is, will her relationships survive that lesson?

About the author:
Michelle Bellon lives in the Pacific Northwest with her four children and fiancé, Seth. She loves coffee and has an addiction to chapstick. She works at a surgery center as a registered nurse and in her spare time writes novels. She writes in the genres of romance suspense, young adult, women's fiction, and literary fiction. She has won three literary awards.

http://goo.gl/qb7brZ Restless (Kindle ed.)
https://goo.gl/S8dRO5 Michelle Bellon's Facebook Page
https://goo.gl/GgznIM Michelle Bellon's Facebook Author Page

#20 ·
Gary R. Hess said:
Homeland by Jeff Jakes

It is an absolutely amazing historical fiction account of a German immigrant coming to the United States during the 19th century in hopes of a better life.

This book is one of the best books I have ever read.
Thanks! Haven't read any John Jakes HF in a long time.

Homeland (The Crown Family Saga Book 1)

#21 ·
I'm gonna recommend "From a Buick 8" by Stephen King. He has many other books that I could, and probably will, recommend at some point but this is one you don't hear about that much.

This book is a generational tale about lives spent studying a mysterious and deadly object that's taken on the form of an old Buick. There's tragedy, and an exploration of the dark and light sides of human nature while you wait in wonder to see just what the hell this object will do next.

Anyone passingly familiar with King's work may draw immediate parallels with "Christine", the classic demonic Plymouth, but Buick 8 is actually very different. It leans more towards a sort of horror/sci-fi combination that's very unique, and well worth reading for anyone interested in either genre.

#22 ·
I recently listened to Trevor Noah's book .

Normally I prefer a Kindle or paper book, but given Noah narrates the book, I wanted to give it a listen instead. (I enjoy watching him on The Daily Show.) So glad I did. Not only is it a well-written book depicting what it was like growing up as a biracial child in South Africa, Noah's narration skills are the best I've encountered in an audiobook. He can pull off any accent.

Funny, serious, heart-warming--this book is all that and more. Highly recommend it, and in this particular case, go with the audiobook.

#24 ·
I recommend any book by Peter F Hamilton (as a huge sci-fi fan, I admire the man, who writes beautifully - if too much)

For those into historical works, or alternative history works, I'd look at The Leader, by Guy Walters. Fantastically logical book, which suggests what would have happened if Edward VIII never abdicated in 1936 - the events of 1937, Walters suggests, would have found a Fascist in 10 Downing Street. Very good read. Walters is an actual historian, and only dabbles in fiction work

If you want to look back on a book that caused a big hoo-ha with the Church, but is ultimately much-ado about not much, than Dan Brown's duology Angels & Demons and The da Vinci Code are... interesting reads. What the big fuss was over beats the hell out of me, but they're... interesting reads, nonetheless

Those into Young Adult fantasy, I suggest Brian Jacques expansive Redwall series - seriously, even though I'm nearly 30, I'm amazed by his near-Tolkien level of detail and imagination. In fact, I'd say he's superior to Tolkien, in the sense that he gets on with the story without being bogged down and mired in the minutiae of the world he's created.

Speaking of Tolkien... I cannot say I would recommend his works. Not saying the man wasn't brilliant - he clearly was - but for me, his books are overlong and, in many instances, over-thought. His works just aren't my cup of tea, but I certainly understand why he has the fanbase he does (I think my main problem with his work is his desire to imbue every possible character and location with a detailed backstory, which, while incredible, also does my poor head in - I can't keep up with all the names, dates etc) 

#25 ·
Karen Maitland's  Company of Lairs.
It's set in Medieval England during the pestilence or as we call it now the Black Death.
It's full of stark images of a shattered society on the brink of anarchy, yet  still imbued with a sense of hope.
I found it disturbingly beautiful.
Into this nightmare world  Maitland adds a supernatural element and  twist which makes this tale uniquely memorable.
It's a stunning book.
I'd definitely recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.