Author Topic: Scrivener question  (Read 728 times)  

Offline D.L. Shutter

• Maryland
    • View Profile
Scrivener question
« on: January 11, 2015, 06:11:43 pm »
I've finally crossed over and taken the plunge with Scrivener but now I have some questions. I've done thread searches and only seen discussion of fixing bugs and glitches but what I'm looking for is a recommendation for a good starter guide on Scrivener. Anyone got one they would suggest? The videos on the Lit and Latte page won't play for me either so I need to update something else now.

Thanks in advance.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline ChristinaGarner

• View Profile
    Re: Scrivener question
    « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 06:56:57 pm »
    I found the Scrivener tutorials very helpful, but you might try here: http://scrivenercoach.com/

I follow him on Twitter and he has good information.

Offline setherd

• Sunny Florida
      • View Profile
      • hollen.org
    « Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 06:59:49 pm »
    I found the Scrivener tutorials very helpful, but you might try here: http://scrivenercoach.com/

I agree he is excellent and worth the money.
    Take care,
    Seth

Offline D.L. Shutter

• Maryland
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 07:02:37 pm »
    Great! Thanks.

Offline SpringfieldMH

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 08:27:10 pm »
    There are a number of books/e-books dealing with Scrivener available on Amazon.
    Gwen Hernandez, author of Scrivener For Dummies, offers trainimg.

There are a number of videos dealing with Scrivener available on YouTube.
    The guys who do the Self Publishing Podcast, also known as Sterling and Stone, have posted videos discussing how they use it in their writing.

It is sometimes useful to create small test/lab projects in Scrivener where you try things without risking major investments of time or risking major live projects. If they crash and burn, no sweat. As an example, try creating a very small mini-book with only a few brief chapters containing only a few token boilerplate paragraphs each that you can take all the way through proof-of-concept drafting, editing, compiling to various formats, etc.

Scrivener is robust and generalized enough that it can be used in a variety of ways, so as to support various approaches to writing. I finally had to just plunge into using it, without really understanding it theoretically, in order to learn it. Start with a few basic features, then expand as time permits and need dictates.

Be sure to maintain multiple backups, both on and off the machine you are writing on. Local drive, USB thumb/flash drive, and cloud (DropBox is safest best supported bet). There's an option to embed date/time stamp in the backup names.
    « Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:36:53 pm by SpringfieldMH »

Offline eleanorberesford

• Australia
    • Pegasi and Prefects, Scholars and Sorcery...
      • View Profile
      • Eleanor Beresford: Lesbian YA and boarding school stories
    « Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 09:53:19 pm »
    Congratulations on taking the plunge! As a converted fan, I think you won't regret it.

Definitely work through the included tutorials. But this is a very helpful, basic (and free) guide: Getting Started with Scrivener.

The thing is, although it is an incredibly rich program, you don't have to do everything at once. Start by getting used to writing in scenes, adding a synopsis on the notecards on the cork board, making folders for chapters and parts, saving your research and notes in the files on the binder, and taking a snapshot before you make a major change (instead of saving a duplicate file). Compile a project into an ebook, doc and pdf, and play with the options.  That's enough to make it >>>>> any word processor.

You'll explore and pick up the rest as you go. You don't need to understand every feature and possibility right off the bat.

The Google+ group is really helpful if you end up in a tangle, I've found.

Online unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 04:15:42 am »
    I found that using the tutorial in the program was very helpful. I didn't watch it all before I just started in using it, though. I found it pretty easy to use, until it came time to compile, and then I found some step-by-step directions (for PC, which is what I have) and I was off.

The Google+ group is awesome, and I recommend it. https://plus.google.com/communities/109597039874015233580

Offline Small Town Writer

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 10:45:40 am »
    What I did was ignore the tutorials and just started writing, playing around and searching and using the features that I needed when I needed them. When it came time to compile my ebooks, I looked at Ed Ditto's posts about formatting as .mobi and .epub. I say, just start writing.

Offline ilamont

• Mass.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 11:59:01 am »
    The Scrivener tutorial is a nice start, but this is an extremely complex piece of software with many buried features that are not easy to figure out. To give you one example, I spent many hours trying to determine how to preserve blockquotes in ePub/mobi compile jobs before finally locating the answer on page 355 (!) of the manual. I also discovered one feature in the OSX version that cannot even be accessed from Scrivener directly, it has to be turned on and off via Terminal.

People from time to time ask me if I can write an "In 30 Minutes" guide for certain technologies, and I have to say "no". Scrivener is one, Quickbooks is another. There is no way to simplify the learning curve on these two applications -- you can start with the tutorials, but at the end of the day a lot of trial and error is required to get the hang of them.

Offline TheIndieEditor

• Raleigh, NC
      • View Profile
      • TheIndieEditor.com
    « Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 01:14:08 pm »

I second this! Michael does a great job of explaining the basics.
    The Indie Editor
    Freelance Editor at TheIndieEditor.com

Developmental editing, copy editing, and proofreading!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement