Author Topic: New Cover Critique please  (Read 1424 times)  

Offline Paul Kohler

• View Profile
New Cover Critique please
« on: January 16, 2015, 12:28:26 pm »
Hey everyone. I'm working on some new cover ideas for my book, Borrowed Souls. In a few months, I'm going to be expanding it from one novella to an eight episode story arc. Here is a concept for the first book, which will be just a new cover for Borrowed Souls. My thought would be to change the smoke pattern and color scheme for each following story. Obviously each book will have it;s own title, but they would all be a Borrowed Souls story. Thoughts? Thanks!

-

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

adlyteoh

Re: New Cover Critique please
    « Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 12:38:04 pm »
    Wow, that's actually pretty good.  The picture and the title go really well together.  My only suggestion would be to make the series title smaller, and move the main title lower and make it a little bigger.  Good luck!

Cheers...

Offline RBC

• View Profile
      • RockingBookCovers.com
    « Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 12:43:13 pm »
    It's pretty cool. Grey color is a bit bland but cover still works. Try adding some Vibrancy to it and see how it works, might give more energy to the cover. Also title could have more spacing between the words (vertically). But anyhow, nice concept!

Offline dave_flora

• Kentucky
      • View Profile
      • Dave Flora Presents
    « Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 12:48:33 pm »
    This is very nice. The wild color in the smoke pops it off the grey background. The font choice looks good...I particularly like how you've got the letters in "Borrowed Souls" meeting.

Dave Flora

Offline Sylvia R. Frost

• here and there
    • dreamer of dangerous dreams
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 12:51:19 pm »
    Good start! :-) One thing to keep in mind with covers that involve a single element is that element has to be strong, but all the other things like typography cropping etc have to be out of htis world strong. Basically if you're going to do a cover this simple you want killer typography and placement. I would experiment with your image placement/text placement, and using layer masks having the smoke involve the type. You can find an example of this working well here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_2048w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2014/11/05/BookWorld/Images/Connelly_THEBURNINGROOM.JPG
    « Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 12:54:30 pm by Sylvia R. Frost »

Offline acapellabookcoverdesign

• Hogwarts
    • Book cover designer
      • View Profile
      • Portfolio of Book Cover Designs
    « Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 01:34:44 pm »
    I like it, good job. Though I wonder if the smoke would stand out a little more with a lighter grey background? - Jennifer

Offline FAUSGA

• View Profile
      • Author Website Design & Book Cover Design
    « Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 01:49:10 pm »
    the grey background + blue combination bothers me a little,but I think it's a very concept. good job! :)

Offline 69959

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 01:58:18 pm »
    I really like it. Could you add a bit of something to the gray background to help it pop a little more?

Offline setherd

• Sunny Florida
      • View Profile
      • hollen.org
    « Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 02:13:54 pm »
    I like it but change the title font, make it bigger and a little lower
    Take care,
    Seth

Offline ufwriter

• UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 02:17:27 pm »
    I think it looks great! Just a couple of tweaks I think could make it better. I might center The Soul Collector vertically. Right now, that bit seems a bit high up the page. I also agree with the others about the grey background. I feel like it might be too dark? A more silvery shade might work better.

Offline chele

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 02:24:47 pm »
    I really like this.

I agree that some texture would be nice in the background. Nothing that draws the eye, but something to just break up the block of grey a little bit and make it easier on the eye. Maybe some more smoke around the edges just a few grades above or below the grey you have now.

Also, it might just be me, but 'A Borrowed Souls Story, Book One' to me is a bit much. I feel like it should either be 'Borrowed Souls, Book One' or just 'A Borrowed Souls Story' instead of both.

Chele Cooke | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Wattpad

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
    • Storyteller and Cat Minion
      • View Profile
      • Ineti Press
    « Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 02:27:31 pm »
    I like the design, but don't know what genre I'm looking at other than maybe something sci-fish?

Offline TheForeverGirlSeries

• Sunshine State
    • New York Times bestselling author
      • View Profile
      • The Forever Girl Series
    « Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 02:30:23 pm »
    I think it's a good start.

To be critical:

I don't like the gray background for some reason, but I like the smoke. I like the bottom text.
    I don't like the title font though I do like that it's a "simple" font.
    I feel like the R in collector should also be equal distance from the right side as the T in The sis from the left side.
    I'm not loving the setting on the flow.

Offline chele

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 02:32:48 pm »
    I don't know if this would be too much, but I thought I'd suggest it anyway:

What about changing the word Soul to a smoky font? I found these fantastic images on Shutterstock, but I'm sure you could find a free font somewhere. The colour on clear background images could easily be changed through hue and light manipulation.

Chele Cooke | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Wattpad

Offline Paul Kohler

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 03:54:43 pm »
    Thanks everyone. I have had much of the same feelings with regards to the grey background. I'm not a super whiz when it comes to Photoshop, so I am struggling with that right without changing the smoke image itself. Seeing as I have 8 of these planned, I may still in fact turn to a professional. I do like this concept, as it keeps the cover light, yet interesting. If any of you cover artists that left critiques would be interested in working on this, feel free to shoot me a message! :)

Offline Paul Hardy

• United Kingdom
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 04:04:03 pm »
    I may have missed the boat by a few minutes, but I hope these minor points will be helpful:

-The glows around the text look good in full size, but make the text look fuzzy at small size. It's always annoying when you find a perfect technique for one scale that fails on another - but there it is.  :(

-The series title is too complex, and some of the text ends up vanishing completely at small size (blue on grey is part of the problem, but losing a few words would help). Suggestion - 'Borrowed Souls Book 1' might be clearer? As far as a cover goes, probably best to have as few words as possible...

I do like that smoke image, though. It just needs the text to work with it rather than sit on top of it - if you can afford a professional to do all that stuff, go for it!
    The Last Man on Earth Club
    Group Therapy
    for Apocalypse Survivors
    US Kindle - UK Kindle
    US Paperback - UK Paperback
    The Inquisitor's Progress
    Through a Ladder of Worlds
    To a Vengeance on God
    US Kindle - UK Kindle
    US Paperback - UK Paperback
    Twenty Years Ago Today
    One man's dying wish sends
    the whole world back in time...

Part One:
    US Kindle - UK Kindle
    Part Two:
    US Kindle - UK Kindle

Offline sngraves

• View Profile
      • sngraves.com
    « Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 04:23:09 pm »
    I'm not digging the gray. It looks like an 80s maybe early 90s cover for a college text book. I actually think you'd be better off with a white background and a more vibrant text color. It's just very bland looking, and the thumbnail doesn't have enough contrast to be interest catching. Definitely take a look at that Connelly book that was linked.

Offline anicolle

• Illinois
      • View Profile
      • The Fiction & Apps of Andrew Nicolle
    « Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 07:50:13 pm »
    The cover is pretty good overall. I think you're close--it just needs some tweaking to make it stand out a little more.

I don't like the grey background, though. It seems like the kind of thing that would be too easy to scroll right past. Would it work better with either a white background, or perhaps black with a glow to the smoke?

Andrew Nicolle | Website | Twitter

Offline TheForeverGirlSeries

• Sunshine State
    • New York Times bestselling author
      • View Profile
      • The Forever Girl Series
    « Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 09:35:47 pm »

I can send you this file as a photoshop file if you want to play with it, but this is how it would look with the suggestions I made. I can give you this stock image if you want, too. I just bought it with some credits I had.

Offline Axel Blackwell

• Bellingham, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 09:59:55 pm »
    I like the horizontal face at the bottom of your current Borrowed Souls cover. I think it gives more meaning to the smoke. I like your new colors better than the old, though, makes it more vibrant and eye catching. Is there a reason you removed the face?

Axel Blackwell

Offline Debbie Bennett

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Debbie's website
    « Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 02:53:58 am »
    I like the horizontal face at the bottom of your current Borrowed Souls cover. I think it gives more meaning to the smoke. I like your new colors better than the old, though, makes it more vibrant and eye catching. Is there a reason you removed the face?

Just was I was about to say...

I'm not keen on the actual face in the current cover, but I do think it looks better with one there as you get a context for the smoke.

I like the colour of the smoke, but the swirl pattern was better in the first new version you posted in the OP as it somehow looked like the smoke was becoming something.

Psychological thriller/crime & fantasy writer

All ebook formats and paperbacks available.
    www.debbiebennett.co.uk

Hamelin's Child currently FREE in most ebook stores
    Rat Run coming soon ...

Offline Michael Buckley

• Clemson, SC
      • View Profile
      • Author Websitie
    « Reply #21 on: January 17, 2015, 03:03:37 am »
    I simply love it, "BUT-YEA THERE is always  but' The title, the top part and the bottom line are to close, and the title lacks visual clarity, such as if you took a great shot with your camera and the focus was just a little off. I really like it, just tweak the title a little.

Offline Michael Buckley

• Clemson, SC
      • View Profile
      • Author Websitie
    « Reply #22 on: January 17, 2015, 03:15:42 am »

I can send you this file as a photoshop file if you want to play with it, but this is how it would look with the suggestions I made. I can give you this stock image if you want, too. I just bought it with some credits I had.

I love that design, but I did not see his old cover for the same book with the face at the bottom with the smoke coming out of the open mouth. If you could add the face and keep the over as you have it somehow, it would be perfect, The face with the smoke coming from the open mouth sets thee book off IMO, the face is needed, without it somehow it seems bland, before I saw the old cover I thought it was great, now after seeing the face I think it should be included.

Offline ufwriter

• UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: January 17, 2015, 04:05:38 am »
    Okay, I like it MUCH better with the white background. But I prefer the smoke in the first post. I also liked how the R and the U in Borrowed Souls lined up in the first post, too.

Offline Paul Kohler

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: January 17, 2015, 05:37:23 am »
    I deviated from the original cover, the one with the face along the bottom, for a fresh look. I do agree that it gives some context to the smoke (the soul). I could play around with that, as well as switching out the grey for a silver or even white.

Thanks again, everyone. That's why I love this place. I'm off to play in Photoshop for a while.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement