Author Topic: Anyone a Contemporary Romance and/or Romantic Suspense fan?  (Read 24793 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone a Contemporary Romance and/or Romantic Suspense fan?
« Reply #175 on: July 05, 2018, 05:59:30 am »
This is a first in series by Pamela Clare. I love her historicals and her I-team RS. Have not read these.
Its free:

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
      • View Profile
      • Bayou Cover Designs
    « Reply #176 on: July 08, 2018, 11:17:48 am »
    This is a first in series by Pamela Clare. I love her historicals and her I-team RS. Have not read these.
    Its free:

Good find, I love this series!  :) Just finished Holding On, the latest book in this series, it was a 5 star read for me!

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | 2019 Reading Challenge | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline A.G. Richards

• England
    • Paranormal romance & more
      • View Profile
    « Reply #177 on: July 22, 2018, 04:31:07 am »
    Some great recommendations here. I'll check them out as soon as I can. Many thanks!

Offline Wisteria Clematis

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #178 on: September 30, 2018, 07:39:40 am »
    Haven't read too many contemporaries lately but this one has been getting universally great reviews so I was curious. New author, and it is written in the first person which I don't usually care for. Long story short--I enjoyed it a lot! It had me laughing out loud. Plot is rather improbable but characters--especially the heroine--are really entertaining. Hard to put down once you start, funny and sexy.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #179 on: September 30, 2018, 07:55:05 am »
    Haven't read too many contemporaries lately but this one has been getting universally great reviews so I was curious. New author, and it is written in the first person which I don't usually care for. Long story short--I enjoyed it a lot! It had me laughing out loud. Plot is rather improbable but characters--especially the heroine--are really entertaining. Hard to put down once you start, funny and sexy.

Sold  8). I have read this author before, while back. I think it was more of erotic romance, but also lots of humor in it. I loved that one. I also love this premise. reading the reviews its a no humor more serious hero and a more quirky herone. I like that premise in HR too. You know the grumpy stiff serious duke and the charming heroine that melts his heart. Am I getting some of that here? Anyway, I like the premise and I trust your opinion.

I am always looking for CR I like. And I feel really picky and most don't live up to some of the reviews. But then I don't know those folks, but I know you.  ;D

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #180 on: September 30, 2018, 02:59:03 pm »
    Sold  8). I have read this author before, while back. I think it was more of erotic romance, but also lots of humor in it. I loved that one. I also love this premise. reading the reviews its a no humor more serious hero and a more quirky herone. I like that premise in HR too. You know the grumpy stiff serious duke and the charming heroine that melts his heart. Am I getting some of that here? Anyway, I like the premise and I trust your opinion.

I am always looking for CR I like. And I feel really picky and most don't live up to some of the reviews. But then I don't know those folks, but I know you.  ;D

Right. No pressure or anything---I'll try not to let you down.  ;D  ;D I think you'll like it though. It really made me laugh! And its hard not to love the heroine.

I must be a better enabler than I ever suspected!  :D

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #181 on: September 30, 2018, 03:40:56 pm »
    Right. No pressure or anything---I'll try not to let you down.  ;D  ;D I think you'll like it though. It really made me laugh! And its hard not to love the heroine.

I must be a better enabler than I ever suspected!  :D
    It was a really good sell. A really good one. You might have to get your own enabler avatar.  ;D

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
    « Reply #182 on: September 30, 2018, 05:34:36 pm »
    I haven't read this yet, but I read her previous book, Most Eligible Billionaire (when I picked it up, the title was Most Eligible B*stard). I'm guessing the author had a bit of trouble with that title being blocked.  ;D It was a fun read although the heroine had a bad incident in her past, so there was some emotional heft to it.

I've been reading lots of contemporary these days because there's just so much of it to choose from. I'm especially drawn to books with what I call "caretaker alpha" or nice guy/beta heroes who are all about caring for and being willing to show their feelings for their heroines, their families, random people on the street, etc. It's a welcome antidote to the incessant real world headlines.

My latest in this vein was Untouchable, by Talia Hibbert, one of my current fav authors. The first book in the series, A Girl Like Her also had a wonderful, kind blacksmith hero. Another that I just read with a lovely, painfully shy (and virgin) hero who just wanted nothing more than a family of his own was Whatever You Need by Barbara Longley.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 05:38:28 pm by worktolive »

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #183 on: November 26, 2018, 09:49:53 am »
    I am sorry to report that Julie Anne Long's newest book --"Malcolm and Isabelle"--which is a sequel to her Pennyroyal Green series but set in the current time is so replete with editing errors that it is almost unreadable. There are mistakes on almost every page of the kindle edition: words missing; incorrect pronouns (like  'his' instead of 'hers' when referring to the heroine); misspellings, etc. The first couple of pages like that I just ignored, but then it started pulling me out of the story every time it happened. I wasn't able to make it past chapter two. Hopefully all these errors will get corrected and amazon will issue an update, but until that happens my advice is not to bother trying to read this unless you have a very high tolerance and don't find this kind of thing distracting. Either this book went to press without an editor even looking at it, or there is a brand new copy editor out there somewhere who needs to make a career change.  :(

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #184 on: November 26, 2018, 10:24:38 am »
    Wow, one would think a trade published author would know who to hire when self publishing something. Or at least check it first before hitting publish? Whats crazy is that even though some of the reviews mention some editing issues, most still give it 5 stars just because. So when you look at the overall rating its super high. Sorry, but I don't care about how much I like an author and their work, I am not going to wade through such a mess as you have told us about. Talk about being taken out of a story.

And its been out since October 15. Plenty of time to fix it. Its just plain disrespectful.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #185 on: November 27, 2018, 02:55:25 pm »
    I am sorry to report that Julie Anne Long's newest book --"Malcolm and Isabelle"--which is a sequel to her Pennyroyal Green series but set in the current time is so replete with editing errors that it is almost unreadable. There are mistakes on almost every page of the kindle edition: words missing; incorrect pronouns (like  'his' instead of 'hers' when referring to the heroine); misspellings, etc. The first couple of pages like that I just ignored, but then it started pulling me out of the story every time it happened. I wasn't able to make it past chapter two. Hopefully all these errors will get corrected and amazon will issue an update, but until that happens my advice is not to bother trying to read this unless you have a very high tolerance and don't find this kind of thing distracting. Either this book went to press without an editor even looking at it, or there is a brand new copy editor out there somewhere who needs to make a career change.  :(

I just checked it out on Amazon and there's a "Note from the Author" stating that an updated version is available, if anyone is interested. 

https://www.amazon.com/Malcolm-Isabel-Pennyroyal-Green-Julie-ebook/dp/B07HMF1DZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543358980&sr=8-1&keywords=malcolm+and+isabel

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #186 on: November 28, 2018, 06:50:57 am »
    I just checked it out on Amazon and there's a "Note from the Author" stating that an updated version is available, if anyone is interested. 

https://www.amazon.com/Malcolm-Isabel-Pennyroyal-Green-Julie-ebook/dp/B07HMF1DZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543358980&sr=8-1&keywords=malcolm+and+isabel

I checked in 'content and devices' but there is no update listed yet.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #187 on: January 02, 2019, 09:51:49 am »
    Some might be interested in this. Judith McNaught is releasing her first novel in a decade

Although you may have to wait a bit. It says release in December 31st 2045  ;D  Hang in there. We are not croaking until we read all the books, so we are good to go.  :P

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
      • View Profile
      • Bayou Cover Designs
    « Reply #188 on: January 02, 2019, 10:00:20 am »
    Some might be interested in this. Judith McNaught is releasing her first novel in a decade

Although you may have to wait a bit. It says release in December 31st 2045  ;D  Hang in there. We are not croaking until we read all the books, so we are good to go.  :P

LOL, I wonder how they came up with that date, that's crazy! Judith McNaught would be 101 when it's published!  :o

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | 2019 Reading Challenge | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #189 on: January 02, 2019, 10:15:27 am »
    They sometimes put those crazy placeholders there. They haven't nailed down a date, but want it out there visible I guess. Since its S&S its probably out next year December. Some already preordered as its about rank 7000 in the store now.  ;D. Hope they make sure their expiration date on the CC is til 2045  :P

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #190 on: January 02, 2019, 06:35:51 pm »
    I think I'll wait until someone here reviews it first.   ???

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #191 on: January 03, 2019, 10:24:39 am »
    I'll get on it. Just give me 27 years. I'll let you know then.  :P

If the internet survives that long that is. By then we'll all be living in the Matrix and just upload all the books to the brain.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #192 on: January 03, 2019, 10:31:16 am »
    By then we'll all be living in the Matrix and just upload all the books to the brain.

Where's the fun in that? :o :(
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline TriciaJ82

• View Profile
    « Reply #193 on: January 27, 2019, 06:53:39 pm »

I hope the description is just a place holder for the real one:( If not, it is a rewriting of her short story originally called Double Exposure. (A Gift of Love is the book title) It came out in 1996, the same year the full length sequel came out, Remember When. I loved Remember When and I think I enjoyed double exposure but I don't remember much about it.

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #194 on: February 05, 2019, 02:05:09 pm »
    Contemporary romances can be hit or miss for me but oh boy. This one is five stars plus. I literally could not put it down, and as soon as I finished I felt bereft. I loved every character and didn't want to leave them. It will make you cry a little bit and laugh a lot. It could also fit in the 'women's fiction' category but is first and foremost a romance.....actually four romances (the main characters are three adopted sisters and their adopted mom). They are all completely different from each other and I fell in love with each of them. The guys they end up with pretty darn cool as well. Set mostly in the Scottish highlands. Highly, highly recommended!!!

Offline TriciaJ82

• View Profile
    « Reply #195 on: March 06, 2019, 06:00:13 pm »
    The Lucy Parker collection (first 3 in her London Celebrities series) is on sale for 1.99

It is completely worth the blind buy or if you only have one or two of them. I bought it to read book 3. Books 1 and 2 were a solid 4/4.5 for me, particularly the second.

ETA: The 4th book is due to be released 4/22 The Austen Playbook, featuring Freddy.
    « Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 06:04:52 pm by TriciaJ82 »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #196 on: March 07, 2019, 07:10:51 am »
     I loved the first one, but haven't gotten to the 2nd one yet. So that is a great deal to get 2 and 3 for that sale price.

Thanks for that listing Tricia.  ;D

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #197 on: July 20, 2020, 06:54:11 am »
    If you are looking for an entertaining, easy read to get your mind off the World.....I heartily recommend this one! Heroine is an accountant who gets in a tizzy when numbers don't balance down to the last cent, but loves escaping by reading regency romances. When she accidentally discovers a sinister embezzlement plot she seeks help from a high powered financial management firm and finds her hero. Lots of fun dialog and really likeable characters....this is the first in what will eventually be a series of three (the hero's two partners will be next). A little suspense thrown in as well. This was a five star read for me, I really needed the distraction right now.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #198 on: July 20, 2020, 09:34:00 am »
    I'll be trying it for sure. I am desperate to get out of this reading funk. I haven't finished a book since June 20th.   :'(

I been collecting samples from other recs I got in the historical romance and the other romance threads. And this is in KU also, so that's a plus.

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #199 on: July 20, 2020, 10:16:21 pm »
    Next one in the series comes out the first week in August. Its now on my list! Anxious to hear what you think of this one. Sorry the link came out so gigantic....the link maker was out of control.  :-[

KBoards.com

• Advertisement