Author Topic: Vellum: the official thread  (Read 251629 times)  

Offline NanSweet

• View Profile
Re: Vellum: the official thread
« Reply #1575 on: February 24, 2020, 03:17:51 pm »
Just wanted to drop on to say, "I had no idea".  I mean, people said how easy Vellum was to use, but when there is no Windows competitor coming close, it was hard to believe.  I'm a believer. Thanks Vellum!

BOOK 1 of Dusky Hollows is FREE.
Nan Sweet | Dusky Hollows

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline malkpa

• View Profile
    « Reply #1576 on: March 03, 2020, 04:13:46 pm »
    So I am fairly new to Vellum, I know the newest update made full bleed possible but was it only for full page images? I have someone who wants full bleed chapter headings and I am trying to figure it out, anyone have any pointers or wisdom to send my way?

:o

Online Brad West

• View Profile
      • Vellum
    « Reply #1577 on: March 04, 2020, 07:24:58 am »
    So I am fairly new to Vellum, I know the newest update made full bleed possible but was it only for full page images? I have someone who wants full bleed chapter headings and I am trying to figure it out, anyone have any pointers or wisdom to send my way?

Hi Malkpa. At this time, Vellum only supports full bleed for the Full Page Image element. We do have requests for expanding this to chapter heading backgrounds. That'll be a bit more involved on our end, so we don't have a timeframe for when it would be available, but we are keeping it in mind.

From what we understand, some designers have been adding these backgrounds manually by taking Vellum's output and adding the backgrounds in a PDF-editing tool like Acrobat.
    Brad West. Co-founder of 180g, Creators of Vellum

Offline malkpa

• View Profile
    « Reply #1578 on: March 04, 2020, 02:25:13 pm »
    Hi Malkpa. At this time, Vellum only supports full bleed for the Full Page Image element. We do have requests for expanding this to chapter heading backgrounds. That'll be a bit more involved on our end, so we don't have a timeframe for when it would be available, but we are keeping it in mind.

From what we understand, some designers have been adding these backgrounds manually by taking Vellum's output and adding the backgrounds in a PDF-editing tool like Acrobat.

Thank you for your reply, I will look into this and thank you for Vellum. It is so nice and was very easy to learn.

Offline GirlWriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #1579 on: March 09, 2020, 09:46:20 am »

Dear Brad and Brad:

Editing the PDF in Acrobat Pro is what I do. But to pig back on this request. Is it possible to have the option to choose between having a blank page after a full image or not?

Because I can edit the image and add text to it in Photoshop and make it look like a full image page with text, but then the blank page behind does't transition into the next page. I can remove the blank page in Acrobat, but Acrobat doesn't automatically renumbers the pages. See what I'm getting at?

I created this test image in Photoshop, added some random text, and it looks beautiful in the PDF. Removing the blank page is easy. Manually renumbering a 300+ page book, not so much.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/979F8J

Thanks for all you guys do. I love Vellum and can't recommend it enough.

Offline cake

• View Profile
    « Reply #1580 on: March 13, 2020, 10:55:25 pm »
    When I used to have subtitles with my chapter headings (formatted through Microsoft Word styles), Vellum would automatically pick up on it and add it to the imported file. This doesn't happen anymore. What's the problem?  :(

Offline H.C.

• Chengdu
    • Loving every minute
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1581 on: May 01, 2020, 05:02:24 am »
    I can't find the vellum file for a book I published a few months ago but it has to be on my computer. I have all of the epubs etc. but where can I find the vellum file so that I can update and edit that file? :'(

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
    • To boldly split infinitives
      • View Profile
      • Official Website of William D. Richards
    « Reply #1582 on: May 01, 2020, 08:46:41 pm »
    I can't find the vellum file for a book I published a few months ago but it has to be on my computer. I have all of the epubs etc. but where can I find the vellum file so that I can update and edit that file? :'(

In the Finder, press cmd-SPACE and that will bring up the general search engine in MacOS.

Type "Vellum" and you will see the option to search for a Vellum File will be presented. Select that, and the Finder will show you all Vellum Files. If your original file was not deleted, it should show up in that list.
    Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 11%
    William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Offline H.C.

• Chengdu
    • Loving every minute
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1583 on: May 02, 2020, 04:49:15 pm »
    thanks

Offline Kingdavid757

• View Profile
    « Reply #1584 on: June 09, 2020, 12:56:24 pm »
    I have a question, dont think anyone has asked this yet (or i may have missed it)  is there a way to import a word doc without loosing the formatting?  Example, say you have a screenplay and you wanted to put it in ebook format for someone to read, is there a way to import your screenplay formatted word doc and keep the same formatting?

Thanks!
    Genre: Fantasy, Thriller, Science Fiction

Author Central | Mailing List | Website

Online Gessert Books

• Madison, WI
    • Book Layout and Formatting by Phillip Gessert
      • View Profile
      • Gessert Books: Book Layout and Formatting
    « Reply #1585 on: June 09, 2020, 01:23:07 pm »
    I have a question, dont think anyone has asked this yet (or i may have missed it)  is there a way to import a word doc without loosing the formatting?  Example, say you have a screenplay and you wanted to put it in ebook format for someone to read, is there a way to import your screenplay formatted word doc and keep the same formatting?

Thanks!

That one's unlikely no matter the software, unfortunately, because all those screenplay layout particulars will get pretty mangled on reflow. If that's a personal use type scenario, I'd just go PDF.

Offline ........

• View Profile
    « Reply #1586 on: June 09, 2020, 11:30:53 pm »
    Vellum has suddenly starting acting wonky when making box sets. Wonder if anyone knows a solution?

Normally I make a new blank file. Then I drag and drop the vellum files for books 1, 2, 3, etc into that file. It imports it well, book title, the chapters underneath and so on... except now the text for a chapter or element (like copyright) is extremely narrow. Like two words across. When exported to epub it is full width, but in the window it's narrow, which makes it incredibly difficult to work on.

It's as soon as a volume is created, the problem happens.

It's not a matter of dragging the window across larger either - the text is locked into some kind of narrow box that doesn't fill full-width.

Makes it super hard to create a "Books by" page when it comes out like:

bo
    ok #1

bo
    ok #2

bo
    ok #3

Or instead of "It was the best of times...etc" you get

[It w
    as the
    best o
    f times]

The original vellum files where imported from a word document are completely fine. When I click on it I can even see the box around the text but can't expand it. All the pieces are listed as chapters and I've checked every option I can find.

If I import chapters that are fine, full width and then convert to volume, they immediately go narrow. Cannot find any option to not have this happen.

Does anyone have suggestions? It still produces a working ePub file - but just makes creating boxsets a lot harder, especially when it comes to updating "books by" or copyright pages. 

Offline Brad Andalman

• View Profile
      • Vellum
    « Reply #1587 on: June 10, 2020, 12:35:54 pm »
    [...]

If I import chapters that are fine, full width and then convert to volume, they immediately go narrow. Cannot find any option to not have this happen.

Does anyone have suggestions? It still produces a working ePub file - but just makes creating boxsets a lot harder, especially when it comes to updating "books by" or copyright pages. 

We have, very rarely, heard of the Text Editor coming in at the wrong size. Unfortunately, we've been unable to reproduce this issue.

However, you should be able to snap things back to normal by resizing the Text Editor pane (as opposed to the entire Vellum window), or by saving, closing, and reopening your document. If you follow those steps and still see an issue, please contact us directly. If you include your Vellum file - or the Vellum files that you were trying to include in your box set - we'll see if we can reproduce the problem.

Brad Andalman. Co-founder of 180g, creators of Vellum.

Offline ETC

• View Profile
    « Reply #1588 on: June 16, 2020, 11:49:50 pm »
    Yesterday, 16 June 2020, the makers of Vellum.app released version 2.7 (see https://blog.vellum.pub/2020/06/vellum-2-7/).

Includes:
        Internal links
        Use Words built-in styles to indicate chapters and text features
        Add social media profiles for LinkedIn and Patreon
        Credit a co-author or an author of a Foreword in Title Information
        New language options for Catalan, Hindi, and Korean
        Improved automatic layout for Subheads
        Fix for generation errors in books saved using Dropbox Smart Sync

I am very grateful to Brad and Brad for all their work on Vellum. I haven't started using it yet, but I plan to, and I'm following the development closely.

Offline mjgrice

• View Profile
    « Reply #1589 on: July 09, 2020, 10:34:23 am »

EDIT: Nvm. I updated to the newest version and the end notes came in OK. I had to go through the exported rtf file and add the end notes back in, which was a pain, to keep the other edits... note to me, don't edit in Vellum, there's no path back out... But, I have what I wanted now.

Thx...

Original text
    ========================================================

Hi, I'm new to Vellum. Everything seems fine so far -- except footnotes and end notes.

The footnotes and end notes in my manuscript (Microsoft Word format, created with LibreOffice Write) were dropped on the import.

I am using Vellum Version 2.2.3 (22300) -- if that matters?

BTW, I made some changes to the document in Vellum... I know there is an "Import from Word" option. Is there an "Export back to Word" option as well? I would hate to lose the edits I just made...

Thanks!
    « Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 07:54:54 am by mjgrice »

Offline Liz Carleton

• View Profile
    « Reply #1590 on: July 22, 2020, 01:09:08 pm »
    Hi, chiming in here a few years late. I am new to Vellum and am excited to use it. I would love to have an 8x10 option for print!

Online Brad West

• View Profile
      • Vellum
    « Reply #1591 on: July 24, 2020, 12:09:47 pm »
    Hi, chiming in here a few years late. I am new to Vellum and am excited to use it. I would love to have an 8x10 option for print!

Thank you for the suggestion, Liz. We don't have any immediate plans to add an 8x10 option, but we've logged your request and we will keep it mind for the future.

Offline BD

• View Profile
    « Reply #1592 on: September 17, 2020, 02:17:45 am »
    How do you go about creating in Vellum books from a series? Should I use the subtitle field for something like "Dragon Riders Book 1" or is that going to interfere with the data I later enter on KDP? On KDP there are different forms for series and subtitle. I'm afraid to do that wrong and have Vellum lock the data when I use the credit.

Offline LaBelleOtero

• View Profile
    « Reply #1593 on: September 17, 2020, 09:13:44 pm »
    There needs to be a Windows version. A lot of people use Windows and hate Mac's with a fiery passion.

Mac is 10% of all computer owners. That's up from 6%.
    I would buy Vellum in an instant if it was PC compatible; I'm not buying a Mac just so I can use Vellum.

Online Brad West

• View Profile
      • Vellum
    « Reply #1594 on: September 18, 2020, 06:56:52 am »
    Should I use the subtitle field for something like "Dragon Riders Book 1" or is that going to interfere with the data I later enter on KDP? On KDP there are different forms for series and subtitle. I'm afraid to do that wrong and have Vellum lock the data when I use the credit.

The subtitle you use in Vellum won't at all affect the data you provide when you upload your title to KDP. So you can go ahead and place the series information in the subtitle (many other authors do the same). Hope that helps.

Offline BD

• View Profile
    « Reply #1595 on: September 18, 2020, 10:39:58 am »
    The subtitle you use in Vellum won't at all affect the data you provide when you upload your title to KDP. So you can go ahead and place the series information in the subtitle (many other authors do the same). Hope that helps.

It does, totally! Thank you.

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #1596 on: September 18, 2020, 11:04:41 am »
    Question: Is there any planned update for a spacer feature? It would be nice to have the ability to space a book, like a "block" space on Wordpress. The current software only allows a symbol to separate sections in chapters. What I'm suggesting is an empty space as an alternative for a chapter break. Currently the only way I know of to achieve spacing is importing a blank image, which can be faulty.

Is this something you guys might consider implementing with a future update?

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

Offline Indiecognito

• Even I don't know who I am
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1597 on: September 18, 2020, 11:04:58 am »
    Question: Does Vellum have any mechanism in place for "locking" the contents?

I once accidentally moved a chapter in a book by grabbing it with my cursor, and a kind reader let me know I'd published the book out of order  ???

I'm super-paranoid now and double- and triple-check every upload. But it would be amazing if we could lock the chapters in order within Vellum itself.

Offline Javelin

• Up, up and away!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1598 on: September 18, 2020, 10:41:33 pm »

What about printing of information on the edge binding of picture books without a lot of pages?

Javelin Jaaziel | SlogFrog.com If a frog had wings, could it fly ?

Online Brad West

• View Profile
      • Vellum
    « Reply #1599 on: September 22, 2020, 10:59:46 am »
    Question: Does Vellum have any mechanism in place for "locking" the contents?

I once accidentally moved a chapter in a book by grabbing it with my cursor, and a kind reader let me know I'd published the book out of order  ???

I'm super-paranoid now and double- and triple-check every upload. But it would be amazing if we could lock the chapters in order within Vellum itself.

There is not a way to lock the chapters, but we have heard from a small number of users who've made similar accidental moves, especially when using Vellum through Macincloud. For a future update, we're looking into adding a confirmation for when a move seems like it may have been unintentional, especially if the change would be hard to spot (as can be the case for untitled chapters, which are automatically renumbered).

What about printing of information on the edge binding of picture books without a lot of pages?

It sounds like you may be asking about the cover, which for short books will have a very thin spine. In cases like these, KDP won't allow information to be printed on the spine, and so it's better to have this information on the front and/or back cover. We should note, though, that for your print edition, Vellum only creates the interior file for your book, and does not create the cover.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement