Author Topic: Vellum: the official thread  (Read 256423 times)  

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
    • View Profile
Re: Vellum: the official thread
« Reply #1600 on: October 08, 2020, 08:21:52 am »
Hi Brad. Any chance you or one of the Vellum folks could stop by another thread? We're wondering about the new Amazon emphasis on epub, and how the two Vellum versions of epub, the Generic epub and the Kindle.epub, are different?

Thread:
Amazon now "prefers" epub files to mobi files
https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,326357.0.html

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline SmidgenPress

• View Profile
    « Reply #1601 on: October 12, 2020, 10:31:59 am »
    Hi there, Brad/Brad!  ;D

Two questions . . .
    1) There is SO much conflicting information now about justified/non-justified text in ebooks. (I just found a big-name self-publisher blog saying to center-align an entire ebook and let the device figure it out. Ugh. While I see their point... Um, no thanks.)

Do you have an official opinion, from the coding side, or do you have device knowledge we should consider? Sometimes left-aligning a Vellum file seems to lock a book to where it can't be justified on a device, but even that doesn't seem to be consistent.

And 2), have you guys seen that Ingram is no longer allowing users to override the PDF/X-1a:2001 error message before publishing? They are requiring that the issue be resolved before continuing. (And some people are getting an "embedded fonts" error message as well, which is odd.)

Thanks much!

Offline Brad Andalman

• View Profile
      • Vellum
    « Reply #1602 on: October 12, 2020, 02:22:00 pm »

1) There is SO much conflicting information now about justified/non-justified text in ebooks. (I just found a big-name self-publisher blog saying to center-align an entire ebook and let the device figure it out. Ugh. While I see their point... Um, no thanks.)

Do you have an official opinion, from the coding side, or do you have device knowledge we should consider? Sometimes left-aligning a Vellum file seems to lock a book to where it can't be justified on a device, but even that doesn't seem to be consistent.

Hi Smidgen!

Justification controls are tricky and behave differently on different platforms. For instance, in Apple Books, a reader's justification setting will only be used when the reader chooses a font other than "Original." Otherwise, Apple Books will use the justification specified in the EPUB. And, in both Apple Books and Kindle, justification may not take effect if the font size is too large (as it would, presumably, result in gaps between words that would be too large).

That said, we haven't heard of a case where left-aligning a Vellum file would "lock" a book so that it can't be justified by the reader (given, of course, that the platform allows it). If you encounter that, please contact us and let us know.

Our recommendation, then, is simply for authors to choose the justification setting in Vellum that they prefer.

And 2), have you guys seen that Ingram is no longer allowing users to override the PDF/X-1a:2001 error message before publishing? They are requiring that the issue be resolved before continuing. (And some people are getting an "embedded fonts" error message as well, which is odd.)

We just checked at IngramSpark, and their website currently allows users to bypass the PDF/X-1a:2001 warning. You do have to click a checkbox and press Continue, however.

If the PDF has more errors than that, though, then you won't be able to press Continue. If, for instance, you have managed to insert a non-standard character into the text, then you might receive a warning that "fonts contain missing glyphs or are not fully embedded." These missing glyphs can sometimes occur from errant typos, and may look like a "box" in the generated PDF. If you have Adobe Acrobat, you can find them easily by verifying compliance with PDF/X-3.
    Brad Andalman. Co-founder of 180g, creators of Vellum.

Offline Melwen

• View Profile
    « Reply #1603 on: October 14, 2020, 12:34:22 am »
    Hi Brad,

first, let me say how much I appreciate the hard work put into Vellum and the great customer service!

There are a few things I think would make this awesome software even better though:
    1. An option for links in the pdf file. When you give free stories away e.g. via book funnel, it's always a nice touch to give readers the option to read the story as a pdf for example on their pc. It is really annoying that in these cases I have to use "Affinity Publisher" to ensure there are clickable links in the document. But especially with free stories implementing links is so essential.
    2. I would love to have an option to center the TOC or more general to adjust the alignment.
    3. When you format anthologies a nice touch would be to assign different scene breaks to the stories. In these cases, I have to use Jutoh but let's face it if you can use Vellum for something, why use any other program. ;-)

I understand that the more options are added the more complicated it might get for some users but why not add a bunch of possible additions in an advance option tab or even charge something for a bunch of extra options which then are only for the people who want and or need them?

Once again, you guys are doing such an amazing job and it's very much appreciated!

Offline Karen Monroe

• San Diego, CA
    • I write way too much to email. Sorry!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1604 on: October 15, 2020, 11:00:03 am »
    I have read a lot of KU books with Velllum. I am thinking of saving my profits to invest in an a Mac Pro Laptops  and lifetime Vellum.

My question is it worth it?

Offline scott.marmorstein

• North Philly
      • View Profile
      • Scott Marmorstein
    « Reply #1605 on: October 15, 2020, 11:03:31 am »
    I have read a lot of KU books with Velllum. I am thinking of saving my profits to invest in an a Mac Pro Laptops  and lifetime Vellum.

My question is it worth it?

Karen, you don't need a MacBook Pro, but it will last you longer. I bought a 2015 Mac Book Air and Vellum works flawlessly along with Scrivener and a host of other apps I use daily. The new stuff is just up to you and your budget. Bottom line: Vellum is worth it even if you only did MacInCloud.com when you go to publish your new books. But I'm a Mac person through and through.

Offline Karen Monroe

• San Diego, CA
    • I write way too much to email. Sorry!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1606 on: October 15, 2020, 11:07:44 am »
    Karen, you don't need a MacBook Pro, but it will last you longer. I bought a 2015 Mac Book Air and Vellum works flawlessly along with Scrivener and a host of other apps I use daily. The new stuff is just up to you and your budget. Bottom line: Vellum is worth it even if you only did MacInCloud.com when you go to publish your new books. But I'm a Mac person through and through.

I am PC.....transitioning to any Apple device outside of the phone...I just think they are overpriced, but you cant seem to get Vellum on the PC.

[illegitimate persons]! :'(

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #1607 on: October 15, 2020, 11:18:57 am »
    I know I should probably report this through the Vellum website, but, well. I've been annoyed by it for over a year and I'm here now, so.

There is an intermittent problem with the print PDFs that Vellum generates where a chapter will have no footer. So for me, no page numbers. If I go back and regenerate the file it either moves to a different chapter or fixes itself. For the book I just published yesterday the first time I was missing page numbering on at least one chapter. The second time it was actually missing the header on two chapters. That's the first time I've seen the header missing.

Eventually if I generate the file enough times it fixes itself and it never seems to be consistent which chapter it will happen to, but it would be nice to not have to go through that each time I want to generate a print book. I work in Word 2013 if that helps.

(Overall I'm very pleased with Vellum but I'm assuming since it hasn't been fixed in all this time it's something you guys aren't aware of. Also, I'd love it if you fixed the tab issue when adding book links. Two updates ago or so it changed so that if I put in a book link for one store and tab to go to the next store to add that link it goes back to the top instead.)

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Offline Brad Andalman

• View Profile
      • Vellum
    « Reply #1608 on: October 16, 2020, 03:59:17 pm »
    There is an intermittent problem with the print PDFs that Vellum generates where a chapter will have no footer. So for me, no page numbers. If I go back and regenerate the file it either moves to a different chapter or fixes itself. For the book I just published yesterday the first time I was missing page numbering on at least one chapter. The second time it was actually missing the header on two chapters. That's the first time I've seen the header missing.

Eventually if I generate the file enough times it fixes itself and it never seems to be consistent which chapter it will happen to, but it would be nice to not have to go through that each time I want to generate a print book. I work in Word 2013 if that helps.

Hi Cassie,

We're really sorry you hit this. We've received - very rarely - a few reports of a bug like this. Unfortunately, we've been unable to reproduce it ourselves. If you're willing, we'd love to take a look at your Vellum file to see if we can get to the bottom of it. The best way to do that is to use the Help > Contact Vellum Support menu item in Vellum's main menu. Then, you can use the Attach a File link at the bottom to upload your Vellum file.

(Overall I'm very pleased with Vellum but I'm assuming since it hasn't been fixed in all this time it's something you guys aren't aware of. Also, I'd love it if you fixed the tab issue when adding book links. Two updates ago or so it changed so that if I put in a book link for one store and tab to go to the next store to add that link it goes back to the top instead.)

Oh! That's a good one. Thanks for reporting it. I've added it to our bug database so we can look into addressing this in the future.
    Brad Andalman. Co-founder of 180g, creators of Vellum.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement