Author Topic: Indie Romance thread--announcements, questions, pitches!  (Read 353716 times)  

Offline Cavaguy

• Isle of Skye, Scotland
  • Enjoy responsibly
    • View Profile
    • www.lovesexandtescosfinestcava.co.uk
Re: Indie Romance novelists post here
« Reply #150 on: December 19, 2010, 06:23:21 am »
Shattered Images is 80% love and romance. Try it you might like something different.

Mine is a contemporary romance so I'm not sure it qualifies or maybe it does:)

s

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #151 on: December 19, 2010, 06:58:10 am »
    Mine is a contemporary romance so I'm not sure it qualifies or maybe it does:)

s

Romance is romance is romance. This is what RWA has to say.

About the Romance Genre
    Romance fiction is smart, fresh and diverse. Whether you enjoy contemporary dialogue, historical settings, mystery, thrillers or any number of other themes, there's a romance novel waiting for you!

Two basic elements comprise every romance novel: a central love story and an emotionally-satisfying and optimistic ending.

A Central Love Story: The main plot centers around two individuals falling in love and struggling to make the relationship work. A writer can include as many subplots as he/she wants as long as the love story is the main focus of the novel.

An Emotionally-Satisfying and Optimistic Ending: In a romance, the lovers who risk and struggle for each other and their relationship are rewarded with emotional justice and unconditional love.

Romance novels may have any tone or style, be set in any place or time, and have varying levels of sensualityranging from sweet to extremely hot. These settings and distinctions of plot create specific subgenres within romance fiction.

Offline Cavaguy

• Isle of Skye, Scotland
    • Enjoy responsibly
      • View Profile
    « Reply #152 on: December 19, 2010, 07:00:28 am »
    Romance is romance is romance. This is what RWA has to say.

About the Romance Genre
    Romance fiction is smart, fresh and diverse. Whether you enjoy contemporary dialogue, historical settings, mystery, thrillers or any number of other themes, there's a romance novel waiting for you!

Two basic elements comprise every romance novel: a central love story and an emotionally-satisfying and optimistic ending.

A Central Love Story: The main plot centers around two individuals falling in love and struggling to make the relationship work. A writer can include as many subplots as he/she wants as long as the love story is the main focus of the novel.

An Emotionally-Satisfying and Optimistic Ending: In a romance, the lovers who risk and struggle for each other and their relationship are rewarded with emotional justice and unconditional love.

Romance novels may have any tone or style, be set in any place or time, and have varying levels of sensualityranging from sweet to extremely hot. These settings and distinctions of plot create specific subgenres within romance fiction.

Great stuff; And in the biggest growing kindle market--now's the time to write it:)
    steve

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #153 on: December 19, 2010, 07:01:09 am »
    I'm so bad. I love what I write and this novelette is one of my favorites. $0.99

Only In My Dreams - A Novelette by Margaret Lake

Delia Cummings isn't dissatisfied with her life. She doesn't think she has a life to be dissatisfied with. She works in a bakery, decorating cakes and bagging up rolls and pastries. Her husband, Charlie, as often as not falls asleep in front of the TV. Her children are grown and married, with not even a hint of a grandchild to give her purpose. After nearly thirty years of marriage and little to show for it, Delia is tired; just plain tired. And it is only in her dreams that she begins to find a reason to go on living.

Sample https://www.kboards.com/sample/?asin=B004183LLC

Offline Cavaguy

• Isle of Skye, Scotland
    • Enjoy responsibly
      • View Profile
    « Reply #154 on: December 19, 2010, 07:06:45 am »
    I'm so bad. I love what I write and this novelette is one of my favorites. $0.99

Only In My Dreams - A Novelette by Margaret Lake

Delia Cummings isn't dissatisfied with her life. She doesn't think she has a life to be dissatisfied with. She works in a bakery, decorating cakes and bagging up rolls and pastries. Her husband, Charlie, as often as not falls asleep in front of the TV. Her children are grown and married, with not even a hint of a grandchild to give her purpose. After nearly thirty years of marriage and little to show for it, Delia is tired; just plain tired. And it is only in her dreams that she begins to find a reason to go on living.

Sample https://www.kboards.com/sample/?asin=B004183LLC

You'll get one of those warning emails i got:)

s

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #155 on: December 19, 2010, 07:27:14 am »
    You'll get one of those warning emails i got:)

s

What did I do and who will send me a warning?

Offline SuzanneTyrpak

• Colorado
    • Rosy: A Novel Free December 21-23
      • View Profile
      • Who's Imagining All This?
    « Reply #156 on: December 19, 2010, 10:08:17 am »
    My debut novel Vestal Virgin is romantic suspense set in ancient Rome.
    Introductory priced at .99 cents through January 1

Here's a description:

Elissa Rubria Honoria is a Vestal Virgin--priestess of the sacred flame, a visionary, and one of the most powerful women in Rome. Vestals are sacrosanct, sworn to chastity on penalty of death, but the emperor, Nero, holds himself above the law. He pursues Elissa, engaging her in a deadly game of wits and sexuality. Or is Elissa really the pursuer? She stumbles on dark secrets. No longer trusting Roman gods, she follows a new god, Jesus of Nazareth, jeopardizing her life and the future of The Roman Empire.

New York Times bestselling author Terry Brooks says,
    ...a writer of real talent...a promising new voice.

New York Times bestselling author Tess Gerritsen says,
    Suzanne Tyrpak weaves a spell that utterly enchants and delights. Her writing is pure magic.

A torrid tale of love, honor, and sacrifice pitted against horrific acts of murder, betrayal, and depravity.  Rife with intrigue and brimming with exquisite detail, Vestal Virgin is a deftly paced masterpiece of historical fiction.  I hope Tyrpak is planning another foray into this ancient world . . . and soon!
    Eldon Thompson, author of The Divine Talisman

Please check it out!

Happy Holidays!
    Suzanne

Offline Victoria lane & R.T. Fox

• View Profile
    « Reply #157 on: December 19, 2010, 10:11:36 am »
    Somwomana is not in the romance field but about all women and their problems.

Offline Dana Taylor

• Hawaii
    • Supernal Living.com--Exploring wonder
      • View Profile
      • Supernal Living
    « Reply #158 on: December 19, 2010, 05:23:41 pm »
    My debut novel Vestal Virgin is romantic suspense set in ancient Rome.
    Introductory priced at .99 cents through January 1

Happy Holidays!
    Suzanne

Suzanne--you've got me intrigued.  First you're writing about Dating Your Vibrator and then jump to the Roman Empire and Vestal Virgins. Obviously, you are not writing the same book over and over. I'm going to have to check you out!

Dana Taylor, author of Devil Moon: A Mystic Romance
    Let's be Facebook Friends :http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1053614345
    Dana Taylor
    Twitter: @SupernalDana @bookluvinbabes Blog www.DanaTaylorAuthor.com

Offline Cavaguy

• Isle of Skye, Scotland
    • Enjoy responsibly
      • View Profile
    « Reply #159 on: December 20, 2010, 09:55:58 am »
    What did I do and who will send me a warning?

I got one for plugging my book out of the Book Bizzare

so now I don't do it--even though it's really good:)

s

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #160 on: December 20, 2010, 11:05:48 am »
    I got one for plugging my book out of the Book Bizzare

so now I don't do it--even though it's really good:)

s

Yes, but this IS the Book Bazaar. I never ever plug outside the BB.

Offline inknbeans

• View Profile
      • Inknbeans Press
    « Reply #161 on: December 20, 2010, 11:53:52 am »
    Your Kindle may have been a Valentine gift to you, but it's a Christmas gift to me.  Thank you for letting me mention my books; all contemporary relationship fiction:

A Plane Proposal - A crash is generally defined as two objects colliding with enough force to cause damage, but Lindsey and Garnet effect damage by walking away from one another. When they meet again, seven years later, they must deal with their past in the middle of industrial sabotage and terrorist threats. In this story, love might not get a chance to find a way.

Wife in the Mirror - Frances had lived her life in the shadow of beautiful parents and small town ambitions. A lucky raffle ticket opens a new window; a wide, new world. That world has its shadows, too, and one of them casts a long, dark, and strangely familiar shape over her, a shape that rewrites her history. Can it change her future, as well?

Learning To Be Irish - Daire's grandfather left her more than a house in Ireland. He left her a passport to her heritage, how to make happiness with harp strings and a pocketful of emeralds. He might have also left her the one man who could teach her what it meant to be Irish.

Calling All Hearts - Scottie McArdle had a police pedigree. The blue was in her blood, her devotion was to the badge. There was nothing else in her life but the People of New York City, until the day she found herself in the line of a different kind of duty; meeting a man who wanted her to protect him from himself, to serve his need not to die alone. In exchange she would have wealth, power, children, but no love?

No Greater Love - How much would you sacrifice for love? If you had the power to protect someone you loved, even if it meant he'd hate you forever, would you?

The Lady Must Decline - She left her pleasant, orderly life to rescue her brother before he ruined his. Killers, cops and queens conspired to shatter her world and change her view of everything...including herself.

And my Christmas themed Cactus & Mistletoe - From the Northeast of England to the Southwest of the United States, a young woman determined to keep a deathbed promise and bring home her only living relative. In her pursuit of her late sister's son, she finds herself spending Christmas surrounded by cactus and strangers in an earthship beneath the Arizona desert.

All seven are available at Amazon and other outlets for Kindle.

Thank you and happy Christmas.

Emjae

inknbeans.com
    inknbeans press

Offline Dana Taylor

• Hawaii
      • View Profile
      • Supernal Living
    « Reply #162 on: December 20, 2010, 12:13:39 pm »
    Welcome Emjae

I'll admit I've tried to find you on the web before, but misread the name--inkbeans s/b inkNbeans.com, which makes a lot more sense. Found you! Looks like you have an interesting array of choices.  Feel free to post some snippets now and again.

Happy Holidays--
    Dana Taylor
    Cuddle up with Devil Moon: A Mystic Romance

Let's be Facebook Friends http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1053614345
    Dana Taylor

Offline inknbeans

• View Profile
      • Inknbeans Press
    « Reply #163 on: December 20, 2010, 01:06:41 pm »
    Dana,

Thank you for the gracious welcome.

I will share a little bit of my Christmas story, Cactus & Mistletoe:

It wasnt that Emma had never been kissed, but it was true she had never been kissed like that, and certainly not by someone like him.  Once again, her mental feet were flying to pack and escape, but for once, her physical feet remained resolutely in place.  After a moment, she let habit take over, and she began the preparations for hot cereal.  You must go, Emma, she repeated for what seemed the thousandth time since her arrival, but something inside her seemed to have settled, was comfortable, was eager and insistent upon staying.  As she stirred porridge she could imagine herself stirring porridge in that kitchen for the rest of her life, and it was not in any way a depressing image.

After a little while, Sammy hopped in.  Hopping, literally, because while he wore one riding boot, and presumably a sock, his other foot was bare and the floor was cold.  The snows still here, he announced, excitedly. 

Yes, I know.  Emma smiled encouragingly.  Where is your other shoe?

Sammy looked at his hands.  I left it in my room.  Dad told me to get some breakfast quick so we could go.  He pulled himself up onto a stool. 

Well, I think we can risk another moments delay so you can wear two shoes to go riding.  Go on.  Get your other shoe and Ill put your porridge in a bowl.

Porridge?  He wrinkled his nose.  Like in the Three Bears?

Yes.  Now, go on before I call you Goldilocks. 

He hopped out again, giggling.

She filled his bowl, and remembering her dislike of porridge as a little girl, stirred a little jam in for flavor. 
    She was getting milk from the refrigerator when Sawyer returned, in jeans, a thick pullover, shaved and hair properly combed.  Emma, Im Im sorry about what happened, he began hesitantly.

Shh, she warned, expecting Sammy back any moment.  Nothing more to be said about it, she went on, pouring some milk into Sammys bowl.  There you are.  Isnt it much better with two shoes on?

Why is it purple? Sammy asked, climbing back onto the stool.  He sniffed it.  It smells grapey.

Because I put some jam in it.  Eat it up.  Your dads in a hurry.

Sammy took a big spoonful.

Remember the three bears, Emma warned.  Test it before you take a big hot bite.

Sammy blew loudly and wetly over the spoon.  Arent you coming? he asked, before shoveling the porridge into his mouth.

I have some things I need to do, she returned, filling a bowl for Sawyer.

Dont I get jam, too? Sawyer protested.  And its early yet.  We can ride and be back in plenty of time for you to do whatever you need.

She put the jam pot in front of him.  No, really, I the force of their combined stares was really beyond her defenses.  All right, all right.  Ill go, but youll have to wait a few minutes while I eat and dress.

Yay! Sammy yelled and he and his father clinked spoons the way men might clink glasses to seal a deal.

Is that too long to be a snippet?  I don't know the rules of snippetting.  At any rate, thank you for letting me share.  If you're interested in a different sort of romance, told from the hero's perspective, while he shambles through life after his wife departed, a romance where the reader isn't even sure who the heroine is 'til the end of the book, try Circle City Blues, by my fellow Bean, Susan Wells Bennett. 

Thank you again, and come and visit us at the website soon.  We've got a beautiful Christmas card there from all of us.

Emjae

inknbeans.com
    inknbeans press

Offline Ben Sussman

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
      • Ben Sussman
    « Reply #164 on: December 21, 2010, 01:06:09 pm »
    Although it's not a romance, I've gotten high marks from romance enthusiasts because of my novel's strong female lead.  Here's the pitch for THE FOUR HORSEMEN:

They are real. They are the harbingers of the Apocalypse. And only one woman stands between them and us. THE FOUR HORSEMEN is a race-against-the-clock thriller starring Andie Sullivan. As the world's only "culturalist," she is employed by corporations and wealthy individuals to break through the barriers with any culture around the globe. Now, she faces the most challenging and dangerous assignment of her career. Hired by a ruthless businessman to infiltrate the mysterious tribe who serve as the protectors of the Four Horsemen's ancient secret, Andie is plunged into a mysterious world where every answer only opens the door to more questions. With a shadowy government force and a brutal terrorist also vying for the Horsemen's unfathomable power, Andie must collect them all and unlock their mysteries before time runs out.

Link to buy (Kindle & Print): http://www.amazon.com/THE-FOUR-HORSEMEN-ebook/dp/B003XKNG1E/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&qid=1280508886&sr=1-1

Thanks!

Offline MoriahJovan

• Kansas City, MO
      • View Profile
      • B10 Mediaworx Bookstore
    « Reply #165 on: December 21, 2010, 01:44:32 pm »
    Oh, wow, I hadn't seen this thread before. And, like inknbeans, I consider it a Christmas gift. I have two:

The Proviso (Book 1) (This is 3 romances in one story arc, so it's kind of a steal at $4.99.)

Knox Hilliards uncle killed his father to marry his mother and gain control of the familys Fortune 100 company. Knox is set to inherit it on his 40th birthday, provided he has a wife and an heir.

Then, after his bride is murdered on their wedding day, Knox refuses to fulfill the proviso at all. When a brilliant law student catches his attention, he knows must wait until after his 40th birthday to pursue herbut he may not be able to resist her that long.

Sebastian Taight, eccentric financier, steps between Knox and his uncle by initiating a hostile takeover. When Sebastian is appointed trustee of a company in receivership, he falls hard for its beautiful CEO. She has secrets that involve his uncle, but his secret could destroy any chance he has with her.

Giselle Cox exposed the affair that set her uncles plot in motiontwenty years ago. Hes burned Giselles bookstore and had her shot because it is she who holds his life in her hands. Then she runs into a much bigger problem: A man who takes her breath away, who can match and dominate her, whose soul is as scarred as his body.

Knox, Sebastian, and Giselle: Three cousins at war with an uncle who will stop at nothing to keep Knoxs inheritance. Never do they expect to find alliesand loveon the battlefield.

Stay (Book 2):

At 12, Vanessa Whittaker defied her family to save 17-year-old bad boy Eric Cipriani from wrongful imprisonment and, possibly, death. Shed hoped for a thank you from him, a kiss on the cheek, but before she could grow up and grow curves, he left town.

Fourteen years later, Vanessa is a celebrity chef at the five-star Ozarks resort she built. Eric is the new Chouteau County prosecutor on his way to the White House.

Four hours apart and each tied to their own careers, their worlds have no reason to intersect until a funeral brings Vanessa back to Chouteau County, back to face the man for whom shed risked so much, the only man she ever wanted

the only man she cant have.

The third book in the series, Magdalene will be out on April 24, 2011 (Easter Sunday).

I didnt go into prostitution because I was desperate; I did it because I was bored: Bored of my hausfrau existence, bored of my husband both in bed and out, bored of my ingrate daughters who dont (yet) understand what it means to be the sacrificial lamb in the nuclear family setup and that being a wife and mother can be its own category of prostitution. They will. And Ill laugh.

I was never the stereotypical whore with a heart of gold, which seems to be used as point and counterpoint: If youre pure in heart, being a whore is tolerable, forgivable even; if youre just a mercenary b*tch who likes sex and, moreover, getting paid for it, its the unforgivable sin. Ultimately, however, I had to choose my customers on their ability to pay my exorbitant prices and leave the good sex to my carefully selected lovers.

I didnt quit prostitution for some sort of wish fulfillment of born-again virginity; I quit because I was bored. [expletive]ing for money involves a certain amount of acting ability and while Im a very good actress (thus, a very good whore), it takes some amount of concentration that is not usually conducive to having a real orgasm.

With a healthy bank account, one ex-husband whose current partner sports genitalia similar to his, four grown daughters, and my forty-third birthday on the horizon with professional ennui setting in, I had to find something else to do.

Even though they're in a series, they all stand alone. But while you CAN read them in any order, I don't recommend it, as they're chronologically in order.

Thanks again for the opportunity to post!
    Kindle: The Proviso | Stay
    Publisher: The Proviso | Stay
    Omnilit: The Proviso | Stay
    Smashwords: The Proviso | Stay
    Twitter

Offline Dana Taylor

• Hawaii
      • View Profile
      • Supernal Living
    « Reply #166 on: December 21, 2010, 05:16:22 pm »
    Hello from Soggy So. California--

I don't know if anyone else is closely reading all these entries, but I am, and all the creativity is so exciting.  Moriah, your covers are exquisite and the snippet from your upcoming "Magdelene" has such attitude! I mean, where does your character go from there?  Intriguing...

Happy Holidays--

Dana Taylor
    PRINCESS ROBIN, there's a feisty new leader in Sherwood Forest

Be my Facebook Friend: http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1053614345
    Dana Taylor

Offline MoriahJovan

• Kansas City, MO
      • View Profile
      • B10 Mediaworx Bookstore
    « Reply #167 on: December 22, 2010, 04:14:23 pm »
    Well, thank you, Dana!

As for Cassie (the Magdalene character), she turns to restructuring corporations. That's how she meets the hero. :)
    Kindle: The Proviso | Stay
    Publisher: The Proviso | Stay
    Omnilit: The Proviso | Stay
    Smashwords: The Proviso | Stay
    Twitter

Offline Dana Taylor

• Hawaii
      • View Profile
      • Supernal Living
    « Reply #168 on: December 29, 2010, 11:20:00 am »
    With all the new Kindles that people received for Christmas, there is a wide variety of sampling opportunities on this thread. I'm hoping my "Devil Moon" finds a wide audience this year.  What are some new releases coming soon?

Dana Taylor
    Dana Taylor

Offline Ruth Harris

• View Profile
    « Reply #169 on: December 29, 2010, 12:42:03 pm »
    I'm a NYTimes bestselling author whose books have sold millions of copies.  Some readers consider my novels romances, others call them women's fiction, more than one reviewer has called them "unputdownable."  I've been praised by Rona Jaffe and compared to Joan Didion;  excerpted in Cosmopolitan magazine, selected by the Doubleday Book Club and the Book-of-the-Month Club;  published in hard cover and mass market paperback.   In any case, whatever the label or format, my books are about women, their personal lives, their professional lives, the challenges they encounter and how they confront them.

I am just beginning to make my books available in e-versions for $2.99 and am looking forward to connecting with a whole new group of readers.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:47:33 pm by Ruth Harris »

Offline Dana Taylor

• Hawaii
      • View Profile
      • Supernal Living
    « Reply #170 on: December 30, 2010, 12:25:11 pm »
    Welcome Ruth and "Peter".  It's interesting that authors with more experience are jumping onboard this train now.  The LA Times ran a front page story on Sunday that began quoting Jon Konrath and his departure fron Hyperion to go "Indie."  My husband said, "I can't believe that is considered front page news."  But, times they are a-changing.  I enjoy hitting my "try a sample" button with great frequency!

Dana Taylor
    Get moonstruck--Devil Moon: A Mystic Romance
    Dana Taylor

Offline Ruth Harris

• View Profile
    « Reply #171 on: December 30, 2010, 01:09:21 pm »
    Welcome Ruth and "Peter".  It's interesting that authors with more experience are jumping onboard this train now.  The LA Times ran a front page story on Sunday that began quoting Jon Konrath and his departure fron Hyperion to go "Indie."  My husband said, "I can't believe that is considered front page news."  But, times they are a-changing.  I enjoy hitting my "try a sample" button with great frequency!

Dana Taylor

Hi Dana...thanks for the nice welcome!  I've been frustrated over the years by the fact that publishers rarely exploit an author's backlist (except in the case of mega-stars) so I reverted rights when I had the chance but had no idea what, exactly, I would do with them.  Then came the Kindle and the e-revolution et voil!
    « Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 04:28:39 am by Ruth Harris »

Offline Rob Alex

• The world
    • Co - Founder of Inward Oasis
      • View Profile
      • Inward Oasis
    « Reply #172 on: December 30, 2010, 05:35:52 pm »
    So many great topics here and they all seem so wonderful I must say.

Intimate Adventures - Guiding you to find the Blended Spirit in your relationship.

Offline Dana Taylor

• Hawaii
      • View Profile
      • Supernal Living
    « Reply #173 on: December 31, 2010, 08:26:50 pm »
    Hi Dana...thanks for the nice welcome!  I've been frustrated over the years by the fact that publishers rarely exploit an author's backlist (except in the case of mega-stars) so I reverted rights when I had the chance but had no idea what, exactly, I would do with them.  Then came the Kindle and the e-revolution et voil!

Hi Ruth--As a reader, I've been frustrated when I can't find some of my favorite author's "old stuff."  One of my favorite's is Barbara Samuel.  Last week I downloaded one of her early works that lists Amazon as the publisher.  I think we'll be seeing a lot of treasures being dug up out of obscurity.

The challenge for us "indies" is the time problems of being author, editor, publisher and marketer. So many projects--so little time!

Dana Taylor
    Dana Taylor

Offline JennaAnderson

• Near Minneapolis, MN
      • View Profile
      • Jenna Scribbles
    « Reply #174 on: January 02, 2011, 05:09:34 pm »
    Romance is romance is romance. This is what RWA has to say....

I think some of us who write certain genres are still a little afraid to tread into romance groups - especially those mentioning RWA. I could have attended two meetings in my area free of charge with no invite needed from a current member. I was too afraid to go. Chicken = me.   :)

Healing Touch is chick-lit, mom-lit, hen-lit, etc I'm not sure what to call it. Amazon doesn't even have a chick-lit category. My works in progress also fall into chick-lit type genres. Has anyone heard of belly bump books? Chick lit with babies! Or what about sassy vampires? vamp-lit?? OK, I'm making that up. I have stories along these lines started as well.

I find myself floundering, wondering... should I just call them romance? Are they even considered romance? Maybe the key is the love story underneath it all.

Id love to hear your thoughts.

Jenna

About Me - With Pictures - http://www.jennascribbles.com/about-me/

KBoards.com

• Advertisement