Author Topic: Indie Romance thread--announcements, questions, pitches!  (Read 353721 times)  

Offline JennaAnderson

• Near Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
    • Jenna Scribbles
Re: Indie Romance novelists post here
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 07:16:46 pm »

And even MORE exciting news...I ordered a Kindle last night. I can't wait for it to arrive.  I plan to check out the books listed here. I already have Jenna Anderson's Healing Touch and Karen McQuestion's Easily Amused on my Kindle app for PCs. 

~Donna~

Thanks for giving my title a try. and CONGRATS on the new Kindle. I've had mine a couple months and love it. I've disappeared off the face of the Earth because I am reading so much!!  :)

As for advertising... hmm that's tough. Just hang out where your audience is, watch what other authors are doing, etc... If you are selling an ebook - hang out where the ebook readers are - Like here!!  ;D ;D

Jenna

About Me - With Pictures - http://www.jennascribbles.com/about-me/

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Dana Taylor

• Hawaii
    • Supernal Living.com--Exploring wonder
      • View Profile
      • Supernal Living
    « Reply #26 on: March 05, 2010, 07:41:12 pm »
    When my husband fired me as his secretary ten years ago and I could actually stay home and write, I joined the RWA and jumped into that pond.  My first book was a labor of love that engulfed me for six months.  It placed in a few contests, but when it came time to market it, I realized there was no major romance publisher who would touch it.  It didn't fit in any of the boxes..er.."guidelines"--word count, plot lines, etc. So I sent it off to a small press (royalties only), got "the call," got published 18 months later.  The book was the 3rd best seller for the company that year--3,000 copies.  And it only cost me $10,000 in promotions to sell those 3,000 copies!  It was a two-book deal and since I was tapped out after book #1, book #2 was read by tens of people--maybe.

So, lessons learned:
    1. Trade paperbacks at $12.00 competing with mass market at $6.99 is a loosing proposition.
    2.  Distribution, distribution, distribution is key to success.  Without it, you're dead
    3. Wait for e-books to level the playing field.
    4. Thanks to Amazon we can be competively priced and enjoy world-wide distribution

So, keep plugging.  I think our day has come.

Dana Taylor
    Visit:  ThePrincessRobinBlog.blogspot.com

Dana Taylor
    Twitter: @SupernalDana @bookluvinbabes Blog www.DanaTaylorAuthor.com

Offline Kristie Leigh Maguire

• Nevada
    • Romance from sweet to spicy!
      • View Profile
      • Kristie Leigh Maguire - Romance Author
    « Reply #27 on: March 05, 2010, 09:34:03 pm »
    Dana, I just downloaded a sample of your book and am waiting for the download to come in. It sounds very interesting. I also visited your blog and made a comment to your next to last post. I tried to "follow" but for some reason it wouldn't go through.

If I may make a tiny suggestion to you, it might help to add a clickable link in your sig line to your book's Kindle page. I did a search for it and found it but some probably won't take the time to do that. BTW, it took me forever, and only with help, did I manage to include linkable images of my titles to their Kindle pages in my sig line.

My sincere thanks for adding my Second Chances to your "to buy" list.  :)
    Kristie Leigh Maguire - Romance Author

Offline DonnaFaz

• Delaware, USA
      • View Profile
      • Donna Fasano, author
    « Reply #28 on: March 06, 2010, 03:05:59 am »
    Thanks for giving my title a try. and CONGRATS on the new Kindle. I've had mine a couple months and love it. I've disappeared off the face of the Earth because I am reading so much!!  :)

Jenna

Jenna, I am eager to read your story. I have to correct myself...it's Karen's A Scattered Life that I'm reading. Had to set it aside because I've been caring for my dad. He just came home from the hospital and I've been at his house from early morning to late evening, then I come home and fall into bed. Easily Amused is on my To Buy list just as soon as my Kindle arrives.

Dana, I agree with everything you've said. And 99.9% of writers can't afford the kind of advertising campaign it takes to build a large following quickly...and then spend even more to keep that following...so we just have to resign ourselves to the fact that it takes time. Harlequin is a marketing machine. I've always been in awe of just how many books the company publishes every month.

Kristie, would you mind offering instructions on how to make a clickable sig line link?  I made one of my title, but haven't been able to figure out how to make a clickable cover image. I've tried, but...  ;D

~Donna~

Offline LCEvans

• Matthews, NC
      • View Profile
      • L.C. Evans author page
    « Reply #29 on: March 06, 2010, 06:17:01 am »
    Dana, Thanks for posting the lessons learned. You are so right. And thanks to all who have posted their books on this thread. I hope to be reloading my Kindle soon and this is a good place to find books I'll enjoy.

• Nevada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: March 06, 2010, 10:14:17 am »
    Kristie, would you mind offering instructions on how to make a clickable sig line link?  I made one of my title, but haven't been able to figure out how to make a clickable cover image. I've tried, but... 

I would be happy to do so but unfortunately I don't know how to do it either. Without the much needed help from kinbr, I wouldn't have mine up either. My hat is off to kinbr for her unselfishiness in helping me out! Much appreciated, kinbr!  :)

Offline MegHarris

• Suffolk, Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: March 06, 2010, 11:06:40 am »
    I'd like to learn how to add the pretty pictures with links to the sig line, too.  I'm so clueless I had to ask my fourteen-year-old daughter's help just to make my text clickable. ::)

Offline Ursula Grey

• View Profile
      • Ursula Grey Writing Away...
    « Reply #32 on: March 06, 2010, 09:39:07 pm »
    Thanks for starting this thread, Dana.  Hello everyone!  There are many topics in this thread!  I'm a new Kindle owner - well...my husband received one for Valentine's Day and he's sweet enough to share :), so I look forward to reading books exclusively in ebook format.  I do think this format will level the playing field and provide exposure for new and talented authors that traditional print publishers have overlooked.  There are so many success stories out there...so regardless of the genre you're writing, I do believe you'll find an audience if you believe in your story.  From what I've seen, there has been a resurgence of interest in romantic westerns, particularly the spicy variety...and epublishers that are interested in them. Personally, I do enjoy books that take place in the old west, so please continue to write them! 

As far as promotion and marketing goes, everything I've read speaks to developing an author platform via blogs and social networks.  I'm still experimenting on that level.  Must have time to write too!

Well, let me add a second, Second Chances, to the mix!  It is my latest, a light mainstream romance published by Bookstrand and available on Kindle here:  http://www.amazon.com/Chances-BookStrand-Publishing-Romance-ebook/dp/B0035YDM30/ .  Here's the blurb:

Chance encounters bring together three women from very different walks of life and with little in commonexcept for the desire to obtain a second chance at lifeand perhaps even love.

A mysterious birthday gift, a husband's devastating deception, and a secret past during World War II send the women on an unforgettable journey to France that will change their lives forever. Will Delia, the young runaway, find the father she never knew, a father who knows nothing of her existence? Will one impulsive night change Gwen, a soon-to-be-divorcee's, life forever? Can Jeanne, a French war bride, face her past and rekindle a romance with a lost love? When Delia disappears, the answers to these questions must wait.

Thanks again.
    Ursula Grey
    http://ursulagrey.com/

Offline Dana Taylor

• Hawaii
    • Supernal Living.com--Exploring wonder
      • View Profile
      • Supernal Living
    « Reply #33 on: March 07, 2010, 02:51:39 pm »
    Hello ladies--

We have two "Second Chances" here.  I'm reading Kristie's right now.  Guess you're next, Ursula.

If you're interested in a good Blog with solid writing advice, I recommend Robin D. Owen's "On Writing and Publishing" at
    http://robindowens.blogspot.com/ Robin is known for her futuristic "Heart" series and also has a series on-going with Harlequin's Luna line.

My years in the RWA loops taught me a lot about plotting, POV, characterization, etc.  Robin does a good job of breaking things down in her blog.

Hope you're having a good Sunday--

Dana
    Visit:  ThePrincessRobinblog.blogspot.com
    Dana Taylor
    Twitter: @SupernalDana @bookluvinbabes Blog www.DanaTaylorAuthor.com

• Nevada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: March 07, 2010, 05:38:35 pm »
    What a coincidence! Two Second Chances and I see they both came out about the same time. Too funny. :)

Ursula, your Second Chances sounds great. I'll have to check it out.

Dana, thanks for buying my Second Chances. I hope you are enjoying the read.

Offline Ursula Grey

• View Profile
      • Ursula Grey Writing Away...
    « Reply #35 on: March 07, 2010, 08:04:16 pm »
    I guess you can never have too many second chances :)!  Kristie Leigh and Dana, your books sound great.  I'll be checking them out, along with the blog you mentioned Dana.  Thanks!
    Ursula Grey
    http://ursulagrey.com/

Offline Meredith Sinclair

• Deep in the HEART of TEXAS
    • I am a TRUE Texas Girl...Missing My friend Dona...
      • View Profile
      • MySpace
    « Reply #36 on: March 07, 2010, 09:14:28 pm »
    I tried writing VICTORY COVE and my website in the dirt on the side of my car....it didn't work out very well  ::)  So I keep plugging away.
    Now, Ms. Miller I can't believe your car would even have dirt on it... ::) So you will just have to keep on posting here for US! And where is your Rogue Wave thread?
    The Apprentice Diaries
    Hey, D'Lani Elliott is me!!! I helped Brendan write this book! Yay, Me!!

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
    • Rubber Room #960
      • View Profile
      • The Only Blog for an Extraterrestrial Woman (?)
    « Reply #37 on: March 07, 2010, 09:21:27 pm »
    Hmmm...just noticed--looks to me like I'm the only poster so far to mention HIS romance on this thread, if you get my drift.

I'm wondering how I should feel about that....

Al Past | Ana Darcy's Blog

• Nevada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: March 07, 2010, 09:40:55 pm »
    Al, I just downloaded your Distant Cousin and have it in my TBR stack.

Ursula, the more Second Chances the better. lol

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
    • Rubber Room #960
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: March 07, 2010, 09:48:16 pm »
    Ooooh. Thanks!

You did see my little post on p. 1 of this thread, didn't you? Wouldn't want you to be disappointed. There are no Fabio-esque sorts in it.

• Nevada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: March 07, 2010, 09:52:58 pm »
    There are no Fabio-esque sorts in it.

That's fine with me, Brassman. There are none of that sort in my romance books either. My characters are just down home people that you would meet in the everyday ordinary world.

Now a question for you. How in the world did you, as a guy, get into romance writing? Curious minds want to know. :)

• Nevada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: March 07, 2010, 09:58:39 pm »
    I'm adding a note to this thread about my book, Second Chances. With this being ebook week, my Second Chances is available at Smashwords.com for 50% off, making it $1.50 instead of the list price of $2.99. Just enter this code when you check out: RAE50. This coupon is good through 3/7-13/10.

Here is the direct link to my Second Chances page at Smashwords.
    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/9123

Ebook Description

Mike Farley stomped on Jane Porter's heart with his cowboy boots. When he realized he had made the biggest mistake of his life, could he get it back the way it should be? Ma Liz Farley and Pa Jim Porter decided they had to do anything they could to make it right but were they willing to go all the way to accomplish it? Set in rural Wyoming, this is a delightful read that will warm your heart.

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
    • Rubber Room #960
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: March 07, 2010, 10:06:45 pm »

That's fine with me, Brassman. There are none of that sort in my romance books either. My characters are just down home people that you would meet in the everyday ordinary world.

Now a question for you. How in the world did you, as a guy, get into romance writing? Curious minds want to know. :)

Good question. Off the top of my head: I'm an old guy, a retired English prof. I like to think I'm better grounded now, and understand people better. I've read a jillion books, and I get tired of the old formulas. I wondered for 20 years if I could write a story that I could stand to read myself. To my surprise, I did. Yes, there's a bit of fantasy in it, but not on the human level. There's just enough sci-fi to allow the humans to be human.

Not a very good answer, I know, but my head hurts now.  :P

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: March 08, 2010, 08:13:16 am »
    Hmmm...just noticed--looks to me like I'm the only poster so far to mention HIS romance on this thread, if you get my drift.

I'm wondering how I should feel about that....

Unique.   :D

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
    • Rubber Room #960
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: March 08, 2010, 08:39:38 am »
    Unique.   :D

So much better than 'Lonely!'  Thanks!  :-*

Offline AnnaM

• Thriller
      • View Profile
      • Unbroken Hearts
    « Reply #45 on: March 08, 2010, 10:03:37 am »
    I just read "The Letter Sweater", a romance by Skip Crayton (older male author, indy writer). It's unusual within the romance genre (H/H are both over 50), and was very satisfying. There are times when I like reading a more mature romance (the secondary romance in my first book is an older couple), and his is well-written.

I pulled the samples for the books you all have listed. I have to confess I love westerns, so I'll probably give "Second Chances" the first chance on my TBR list  ;D

• Nevada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: March 08, 2010, 10:09:15 am »
    I have to confess I love westerns, so I'll probably give "Second Chances" the first chance on my TBR list 

Thank you, Anna! I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. :)

I'll have to check out The Letter Sweater. Sounds like something I would really enjoy reading. Thanks for the tip on this one.

Offline Maria Hooley

• Oklahoma
      • View Profile
      • Maria Rachel Hooley
    « Reply #47 on: March 08, 2010, 02:29:07 pm »
    Two novels that I have which have strong romantic elements are The Mach Band Region and Sojourner.
    The Mach Band Region is a ghost story.  Sojourner is ya urban fantasy/paranormal romance.  Both of them have links in my signature.

Offline DonnaFaz

• Delaware, USA
      • View Profile
      • Donna Fasano, author
    « Reply #48 on: March 08, 2010, 04:34:19 pm »
    Testing, testing.  Kinbr, I'm giving your instructions a test.   :D

~Donna~

Offline DonnaFaz

• Delaware, USA
      • View Profile
      • Donna Fasano, author