Author Topic: Indie Romance thread--announcements, questions, pitches!  (Read 353693 times)  

Offline Dana Taylor

• Hawaii
  • Supernal Living.com--Exploring wonder
    • View Profile
    • Supernal Living
Re: Indie Romance novelists post here
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2010, 05:32:06 pm »
Good question. Off the top of my head: I'm an old guy, a retired English prof. I like to think I'm better grounded now, and understand people better. I've read a jillion books, and I get tired of the old formulas. I wondered for 20 years if I could write a story that I could stand to read myself. To my surprise, I did. Yes, there's a bit of fantasy in it, but not on the human level. There's just enough sci-fi to allow the humans to be human.

Not a very good answer, I know, but my head hurts now.  :P

Okay, BrassMan, you have definitely caught my interest.

Dana
Visit:  ThePrincessRobinBlog.blogspot.com
Dana Taylor
Twitter: @SupernalDana @bookluvinbabes Blog www.DanaTaylorAuthor.com

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Dana Taylor

• Hawaii
    • Supernal Living.com--Exploring wonder
      • View Profile
      • Supernal Living
    « Reply #51 on: March 20, 2010, 09:00:14 pm »
    I thought I would bring this to the fore one more time for people who missed it.  I have sampled and downloaded several on the list.  Nice to see some choices in one place!

Dana
    Dana Taylor
    Twitter: @SupernalDana @bookluvinbabes Blog www.DanaTaylorAuthor.com

Offline D.M. Trink

• A quest to solve the mystery of the silver dragon
      • View Profile
      • Books by Delyse
    « Reply #52 on: June 15, 2010, 02:46:03 pm »
    Oh Dana,
    I found this one through Goodreads. Hopefully it will get read again soon and keep active.
    Thanks for the opportunity to share!
    Wrapped in Rainbow is a light, fun romance set is the Bahamas. It is about taking a chance, breaking free of your routine and discovering another lifestyle.
    Here is a lovely review it just got on Breakout Books Blog:
    Review:
    Wrapped in a Rainbow is great summer reading/beach book. I think at some point everyone has felt the way Kristy feels at the beginning of the book. You go through her range of emotions with her. Though there are a couple of different times where Kristy reacted much differently (and better) than I would have. Delyse describes the places in the book with such detail that you almost feel like your right there on the beaches of Bahama's too. I also really loved that there wasn't a what happened next when the story was over. I really hate being left hanging when a book ends and it isn't part of a series, this book ties up the loose ends. If your looking for a light, fun read then Wrapped in a Rainbow is the book for you.
    http://www.amazon.com/Wrapped-In-A-Rainbow-ebook/dp/tags.../B00313Q1JW

A quest to solve the mystery of the dragon statue

Offline Victorine

• Nebraska
      • View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: June 15, 2010, 02:54:16 pm »
    If you like your romance mixed with mystery and suspense, you might like my book, "Not What She Seems".

Here's the link:

Thanks!

Vicki
    Not What She Seems - A NYT's Bestseller

Now Available! Accidentally Married

Offline Linda Acaster

• East Yorkshire, UK
      • View Profile
      • Linda Acaster
    « Reply #54 on: June 15, 2010, 03:01:02 pm »
    Thanks for offering to read. If you like Mediaeval Historicals (romantic suspense), you may wish to sample [b]Hostage of the Heart[/b] 71,000 words + 5k excerpt of 'Beneath The Shining Mountains'. $1.99.

England, September 1066: the northern militia has been raised to support the new English king, leaving the Welsh marches dangerously unprotected. Rhodri ap Hywel, prince of the Welsh, sweeps down the valley to reclaim by force stolen lands, taking the Saxon Lady Dena as a battle hostage.

But who is the more barbaric: a man who protects his people by the strength of his cunning and sword-arm, or Denas kinsfolk who swear fealty to a canon of falsehoods and refuse to pay her ransom? Betrayed as worthless, can she place her trust, and her life, in the hands of a warrior-knight shielding dark secrets of his own?

Regards - Linda

Linda Acaster | Website | Newsletter | Twitter

Offline Edward C. Patterson

• Allentown, PA
    • Author of 38 Published Books
      • View Profile
      • Dancaster Creative - Authors Page
    « Reply #55 on: June 15, 2010, 03:06:10 pm »
    I have three:

Turning Idolater http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FWZ92Q/

No Irish Need Apply http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012NOW44

Look Away Silence http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HRER5S

Edward C. Patterson
    AUTHOR of 38 Published Books

Offline Kristen Painter

• FL
      • View Profile
      • Kristen Painter
    « Reply #56 on: June 15, 2010, 03:13:23 pm »
    Hi Dana! So glad this thread got bumped. I have two out right now as you can probably tell from my sig! All Fired Up is a contemporary paranormal romance (Viking hero) and Heart Of Fire is a fantasy romance (dark elf/mercenary hero).
    Kristen Painter
    Author of the bestselling Nocturne Falls series

Offline AnnaM

• Thriller
      • View Profile
      • Unbroken Hearts
    « Reply #57 on: June 15, 2010, 03:13:32 pm »
    I have a fast-paced western historical romance series:

http://www.amazon.com/Unbroken-Hearts-ebook/dp/B0017I7XY0/                Unbroken Hearts
    http://www.amazon.com/Untamed-Hearts-Easton-ebook/dp/B002IT5SIA/       Untamed Hearts
    http://www.amazon.com/Undaunted-Hearts-Easton-ebook/dp/B003QMKTU0/   Undaunted Hearts

Offline Gone 9/21/18

• View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: June 15, 2010, 09:14:03 pm »
    This thread seems to have been hidden in the depths of KB since before I published the romance in my avatar and signature. Eyes is a story of romance and family conflicts set in 1885 Colorado. Readers seem to really like it, and I've had enough queries on forums and in private emails that I'm working on putting out a paperback version (it's only an ebook now, on Amazon and Smashwords, which I thought was all I'd do). It's always been priced at $1.99, and I'm going to be either wise or foolish (check back in a couple of months) and raise the price to $2.99 on July 1.

I did not and will not consent to VerticalScope's TOS.

Offline AnnaM

• Thriller
      • View Profile
      • Unbroken Hearts
    « Reply #59 on: June 15, 2010, 09:59:06 pm »
    Ellen, I don't know if it helps but you can see where Unbroken Hearts is at 2.99. It has dropped about 3 spots in the rankings, but I'm still making the same amount of revenue. It's not the complete disaster I feared, and I'm hoping it's a good sign for what's in store for other indies in July.

Offline Gone 9/21/18

• View Profile
    « Reply #60 on: June 15, 2010, 10:44:22 pm »
    AnnaM - Thanks for the encouraging word. I saw a post of yours saying you were doing okay $$-wise but had lost ranking, and I took it to mean a lot more than 3 spots (I assume in the western romance category?), but I don't check rankings that often other than to note where my own are numerically on their own pages. If you're doing the same financially now, that should mean you'll be way ahead come July 1. Bless Amazon's indie-loving heart. Yes, I know what they really love, but boy have they given us opportunities. No wonder the big pubs hate them.

Offline CCrooks

• View Profile
      • author website
    « Reply #61 on: June 16, 2010, 12:39:12 am »

I have a couple of romances out on Kindle now, Thrill of the Chase (sports romance) and L.A. Caveman (contemporary office romance).

Offline AnnaM

• Thriller
      • View Profile
      • Unbroken Hearts
    « Reply #62 on: June 16, 2010, 06:08:51 am »
    AnnaM - Thanks for the encouraging word. I saw a post of yours saying you were doing okay $$-wise but had lost ranking, and I took it to mean a lot more than 3 spots (I assume in the western romance category?), but I don't check rankings that often other than to note where my own are numerically on their own pages. If you're doing the same financially now, that should mean you'll be way ahead come July 1. Bless Amazon's indie-loving heart. Yes, I know what they really love, but boy have they given us opportunities. No wonder the big pubs hate them.

At 2.99 Unbroken has remained in the top 10 in westerns (now sitting at #6, but is usually somewhere from #5 to #8 on the hourly chart).  I see that your EOS/EOG is hovering around #2 to #5 (hooray, you have a good book!), so I think you might slip a notch or two at 2.99, but we'll be happy with the profits in July.

Yes, God Bless Amazon. I think they're creating a model that will make indie a viable career choice for more writers.

Offline Barbara Morgenroth

• View Profile
      • Smart Books For Smart Women
    « Reply #63 on: June 16, 2010, 09:15:44 am »
    Thank you for this thread.  My novel, Disconnected, is a light-hearted romance.

I was mainlining my modem connection. Some people snort the Internet but I plugged it right into a vein. Very dangerous but all the big girls living on the techno-edge play with injectable Internet. Thats how Paige Elliot described her life. She was living in a virtual world until she yanked the plug out of the wall, disconnected herself from the cyberworld and left New York City for the Catskills.

Going cold turkey from her computer addiction is much harder than she would have imagined. Paige experiences deep withdrawals and finds herself trying to score some computer time from her neighboring antique dealer on Main Street, the very attractive Jonathan Blue is his color and he knows it Macklin.

In Kanah Springs, there's such a collection of eccentrics, Paige looks positively normal by comparison. With nowhere left to turn, Paige must make a go of her shop, Nothing Serious, which sells urban reclamation fountains among other objets d'art. Once she can breath evenly after adapting to the crisis of having no email, she's able to discern how truly appealing Jonathan is. By then Paige has nearly nailed her hand to the store's facade in an attempt to get her sign up and has traded for the use of nearly every tool in Jonathan's store with offerings of blueberry muffins.

From being severely disconnected, Paige goes to being profoundly connected, even if this life journey does require being arrested by the feds and spending some time in jail, shes with Jonathan.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LN1VA6?ie=UTF8&tag=kbpst-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003LN1VA6

Barbara Morgenroth | Facebook

Offline donna callea

• Florida
      • View Profile
    « Reply #64 on: June 17, 2010, 08:33:04 pm »
    Just spotted this thread.  Thanks, Dana, for starting it.

I have two novels out, but only one can truly be described as a romance.
    The Haircut, A New Year's Tale is a sensual, whimsical fairy tale for adults. I've got it priced at 99 cents until the end of the month. Link is below.

Donna Callea

Offline CCrooks

• View Profile
      • author website
    « Reply #65 on: June 17, 2010, 10:45:08 pm »
    Here's my new romance gamebook. It's a text adventure in five stories:

In Choose Your Own Romance, an interactive book of five stories with thirty possible endings, you are a heroine navigating the path to romantic bliss. Maybe you'll find your Happily Ever After. Maybe you won't. Love can be a killer...

"The Lifeguard"
    You are cycling, desperately late to your sisters wedding, when disaster strikes.

"Blood Rock"
    You are rock climbing when you encounter a creature from a nightmare... or a fantasy?

"Luck in Love"
    Con man or policeman? Your luck in love is about to change.

"Baxter and Bunny"
    The love of your life dumps you for a blond receptionist named Bunny.

"Unfamiliar Ground"
    You are a mermaid, lured to the shore by a powerful impulse.

Offline ValeriGail

• Livingston, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #66 on: June 18, 2010, 02:58:16 pm »
    This thread seems to have been hidden in the depths of KB since before I published the romance in my avatar and signature. Eyes is a story of romance and family conflicts set in 1885 Colorado. Readers seem to really like it, and I've had enough queries on forums and in private emails that I'm working on putting out a paperback version (it's only an ebook now, on Amazon and Smashwords, which I thought was all I'd do). It's always been priced at $1.99, and I'm going to be either wise or foolish (check back in a couple of months) and raise the price to $2.99 on July 1.

I'm excited to hear you are considering putting EOS EOG out in paper back!!!!  I love having hard copies of my favs, and it is most assuredly one of my favs.  Plus I'd love to pass it to my mom and sister, who are still driving me batty hanging on to the "I like a real book" silliness!  ;)

Anyway, I totally recomend Eyes of Silver, Eyes of gold!  It is a lovely book.

ETA:  Oops forgot to also say  that I think you will do splendid at 2.99.  Your book is worth it, and more.  :)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 03:01:05 pm by ValeriGail »
    ~Valeri~
    GoodReads: ValeriGail
    Currently reading on Iphone6+, Fire, and IPad.

Offline ValeriGail

• Livingston, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #67 on: June 18, 2010, 03:02:52 pm »
    I'm so glad this thread was revived.  I have a few of the books listed here, but totally forgot that I had already purchased them, and then others I've grabbed samples of today.  Looking forward to a weekend tucked away in a few good books :)
    ~Valeri~
    GoodReads: ValeriGail
    Currently reading on Iphone6+, Fire, and IPad.

Offline D.M. Trink

• A quest to solve the mystery of the silver dragon
      • View Profile
      • Books by Delyse
    « Reply #68 on: June 20, 2010, 07:27:49 am »
    Enjoy your reading Valeri!
    There are some great suggestions here. I'm going to sample some as well.

Delyse
    A quest to solve the mystery of the dragon statue

Offline Daphne

• England
    • Author of the Claresby and Pendlehurst mysteries
      • View Profile
    « Reply #69 on: June 20, 2010, 07:31:11 am »
    So many good romances out there for all of us to read: it's great! Hope you find time to look at "The Artist's Model". A stylish, gently amusing and very English romance; light and delicious (although not actually edible), this should leave you smiling.

Daphne Coleridge

Offline Gone 9/21/18

• View Profile
    « Reply #70 on: August 03, 2010, 04:58:05 pm »
    I came here to ask other indie romance authors what sites you have found willing to review indie romances. The paperback of Eyes is now out and I ordered a few copies for myself, so I have paperbacks to send out if that's required and would appreciate any recommendations.

Valeri-Gail - going over this thread I saw your post about paperbacks. The paperback of Eyes doesn't yet come up on a search of my name or the title, but if you bring up the Kindle version, it's linked to the paperback.

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #71 on: August 03, 2010, 05:03:35 pm »
    I came here to ask other indie romance authors what sites you have found willing to review indie romances. The paperback of Eyes is now out and I ordered a few copies for myself, so I have paperbacks to send out if that's required and would appreciate any recommendations.

Valeri-Gail - going over this thread I saw your post about paperbacks. The paperback of Eyes doesn't yet come up on a search of my name or the title, but if you bring up the Kindle version, it's linked to the paperback.

thecajunbooklady.com She's very nice and I expect a review from her sometime this month. Her name is Kris.  She'll take an e-book or paper book.

I've sent inquiries out to some other sites but never heard back from them.

Offline Markee Anderson

• USA
    • Markee Anderson
      • View Profile
      • www.markeeanderson.com
    « Reply #72 on: August 03, 2010, 06:00:54 pm »
    I hadn't seen this post yet...and I'm so glad someone posted!  I have a romance I just released...entitled 'All For Aaron.'  Check my signature for the link and a short description. 

Thank you for this thread!!!
    Markee Anderson
     www.markeeanderson.com

See all my books (with all my pen names) at
     www.sweettalebooks.com

Offline AnneMarie Novark

• Texas
      • View Profile
      • www.annemarienovark.com
    « Reply #73 on: September 17, 2010, 07:26:56 am »
    I found this buried deep down--way down yonder. Thanks Dana for providing this additional thread to post about our Indie Romance Releases.

If you're in the mood for a Regency Romp, check out my new novel MIDNIGHT MY LOVE available on Kindle for $2.99.

Midnight My Love
    http://tiny.cc/unr2z

Happy Reading!!!

Anne Marie
    www.annemarienovark.com

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #74 on: September 17, 2010, 07:37:36 am »
    I don't think I've posted here in a while. I've published two novelettes in the past few months as well as two full length novels.

Historical Fiction/Romance

The two novelettes are:

July 4, 1943 John Jameson is home from the war. The Fourth of July has always been his favorite holiday, but now he finds himself alone on the boardwalk in his New Jersey hometown. It seems like everyone he knew is either off to war or working in the factories producing the armaments of war. Along comes Julie to offer him a cold drink. Happy to have someone to spend the day with, especially one so young and beautiful, he accepts her invitation for a backyard picnic.  He has no idea what is behind Julie's seemingly innocent invitation. He has no idea that the afternoon will force him to face what he has lost and find his heart at last.

Delia Cummings isn't dissatisfied with her life. She doesn't think she has a life to be dissatisfied with. She works in a bakery, decorating cakes and bagging up rolls and pastries. Her husband, Charlie, as often as not falls asleep in front of the TV. Her children are grown and married, with not even a hint of a grandchild to give her purpose. After nearly thirty years of marriage and little to show for it, Delia is tired; just plain tired. And it is only in her dreams that she begins to find a reason to go on living.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement