Author Topic: Indie Romance thread--announcements, questions, pitches!  (Read 353694 times)  

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
Re: Indie Romance novelists post here
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2010, 09:07:44 am »
How cool!

I hope you might give my book, Out of Time, a shot. It's a paranormal and time travel romance with a dash of adventure and a soupon of mystery.

A professor of the occult and his assistant are transported back to 1929 New York City
where the underworld of crime is run by the underworld of demons. They struggle to survive
the demons and each other until the next lunar eclipse can bring them home.

Btw, what a lovely idea your forum website is.

Thanks for considering my book.  :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline CaraMarsi27

• View Profile
      • Cara Marsi
    « Reply #76 on: September 18, 2010, 04:04:15 pm »
    Thank you so much for this thread. I love romance. I read it and write it. I have one romantic suspense on Kindle, Logan's Redemption. It was previously published by The Wild Rose Press. It's up for 99 cents now, but I'm planning to raise the price soon. I hope you'll stop by and look for it. Thanks.

Offline mamiller

• View Profile
      • www.maureenamiller.com
    « Reply #77 on: September 18, 2010, 06:39:25 pm »
    Thank you for resurrecting this post.  I have a contemporary romance, Rogue Wave and a romantic suspense, Widow's Tale available for some inexpensive reading pleasure  ;D   

Here are the most brief synopsis I could manage for each.

Widow's Tale - Cold, dark romance on the rugged cliffs of Maine in the middle of a nor'easter

Rogue Wave - Warm, hot romance on the balmy shores of Oahu.  :D

Offline 16205

• View Profile
    « Reply #78 on: September 19, 2010, 06:06:35 am »

I'll hop in with Bound by Blood, my newest release due out tomorrow.  It's a paranormal romance.  Here's a little blurb:

Laurel Mayfield doesn't realize that the man who comes to her aid in a graveyard is none other than Prince Sebastian Thorn, ruler of the European Territory. After a trip to his past, will she choose the hot-blooded man he once was, or the dark Prince he will become?

Thanks for starting this thread!
    Bound by Blood on Kindle: http://amzn.to/9AnSCa

Offline ReeseReed

• Alabama
      • View Profile
      • Reese Writes
    « Reply #79 on: September 19, 2010, 10:13:41 am »
    It's a bit early for Christmas tales, but I'll add mine here anyway. :) 

Jessicas day couldnt have been more perfect. She was about to marry the man of her dreams, and she couldnt wait to spend eternity with him. But when she catches a glimpse of the pointed ears on the Elder her beloved is obligated to, she wonders if maybe she should have spent a bit more time studying the contract she and Kris had agreed to sign.

Something had to be done about the world around them. It was plain to see there was little joy to be had in the lives of the children at the time. But Jessica had no idea how her vows would change the world.

Catapulted from her life in a tropical paradise to the barren North Pole, Jessica's new reality comes crashing in on her. Even the ever-cheerful Elders begin to weigh on her nerves as she begins to question her choice.

When offered a return to the life shed abandoned, Jessica must choose between the life she left behind and the love shed always wanted.

A modern twist on a classic tale, Claustrophobic gives Mrs. Clauss perspective on the beginning of the Santa Claus story.

Childproofed

Offline K. A. Jordan

• Kentucky, USA
    • K.A. (Kat) Jordan Author of 'Swallow the Moon.'
      • View Profile
      • Jordan's Croft
    « Reply #80 on: September 20, 2010, 04:30:08 pm »
    This thread deserves another chance.

My offering is a contemporary romance set in a small restaurant in Elizabethtown, Kentucky.

...This is a suspense story with lots of twists, different from any others I've ever read...

Let's Do Lunch

A business owner at the mercy of her employees, Lindsey Bennett owner of the restaurant "Let's Do Lunch," finds her employees have no mercy. When Lindsey drops everything to be her injured mother's caregiver, relying on her sister to run the restaurant proves to be a mistake. Lindsey's trusted cook quits, the new cook changes the menu, her sister hires a waitress who can't run a register and money comes up missing. When a bug gets in a customer's food, Lindsey could lose it all! Somebody should get fired. But once she's back in charge, Lindsey finds that hiring is easier than firing.

More problems arise with the men in her life. Her new chef Brandon Pendleton smart, sexy, fast living: he's the life of every party. Sergeant Kevin "Tag" McTaggart handsome, aloof, this wounded warrior's blue eyes see into the depths of her soul. One will tease her until she gives up all her secrets. The other is out to use her and her restaurant.

Surrounded by criminals, deceived on all sides, and catapulted from crisis to crisis, can Lindsey stay focused? Her restaurant and her life are at stake.

http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Do-Lunch-ebook/dp/B003Y8XPR0/

Author of Horsewomen of the Zombie Apocalypse
    K. A. Jordan | blog | facebook

Offline terrireid

• small-town USA
    • Author - Paranormal Mysteries
      • View Profile
    « Reply #81 on: September 20, 2010, 06:11:58 pm »
    Wow!  After browsing through this thread my blood-pressure is a little higher. Lots of VERY GOOD-LOOKING Covers.  ;D

I've written a paranormal mystery romance called "Loose Ends."  It's the first in the Mary O'Reilly Paranormal Mystery Series.  Mary O'Reilly was a Chicago cop -until she got shot in the line of duty.  She dies in the hospital - but gets the chance to come back, but she's warned that things will be a little different.  Mary comes back and finds that she can see ghosts. And her new "calling" is to find out what's keeping them earth-bound and help them on to the light.

Police Chief Bradley Alden has come to the conclusion that sexy Mary O'Reilly is crazy. Really - she believes in ghosts! What next?  Santa Claus?  But when Bradley is forced to spend the night at Mary's house, and strange things begin to happen, he might just have to rethink his conclusions.

A twenty-five year old murder mystery (with a very active ghost) and Mary's involvement in solving the case is making a local serial killer a little nervous.  Perhaps he needs to get rid of this "ghost buster" and tie up all of his loose ends.

I hope you enjoy reading "Loose Ends" - thanks for the opportunity to tell you about it!

Terri

Offline HeidiHall

• Arizona
      • View Profile
    « Reply #82 on: September 20, 2010, 09:50:16 pm »
    Hi!
    What a nice change...someone looking for new authors ;) My book, An Unexpected Obsession, is a contemporary romance with plently of surprising humor mixed in (the best compliments I've had on it are posts quoting a line, followed by an LOL). I'm not sure if you're still looking, but if you decide to read, please let me know what you think. Thanks for the opportunity!

Offline AnneMarie Novark

• Texas
      • View Profile
      • www.annemarienovark.com
    « Reply #83 on: October 05, 2010, 09:29:38 am »
    I have a new Contemporary Western Romance called The Doctor Wears A Stetson on sale for $2.99 on Kindle. It's the first book in my Diamondback Ranch Series.

Here's the blurb:

Jessie Devine can rebuild an engine blindfolded, but when it comes to men, she's all thumbs. When it comes to Cameron McCade, it's even worse. He stole her heart in high school, then left town for good. Now he's back and sparks are flying. Can they take up where they left off? Can Jessie risk her heart again? Repairing cars is no problem, but taming Cameron's restless spirit is something else entirely.

And here's an excerpt:

The atmosphere sizzled in the small office. Jessie stood like a statue, her eyes opened wide. "Why did you come back?" Her raspy voice held a note of accusation.

Cameron also heard anguish in her words. Was he causing Jessie pain? When all he wanted was to hold her in his arms, take her to bed and make love to her until the passion between them was spent?

In two long strides, he was beside her. She backed against the file cabinet. He stepped closer.

"You know why I'm back. We need to finish what we started seventeen years ago." He touched a finger to her cheek, traced the smooth line of her jaw, eased his hand behind her neck and pulled her to him. Her trembling intensified and she put her hands on his chest as if to ward him off.

He caught her hands and moved them over his heart. "Feel my heartbeat, Jess. It's beating for you." He pressed his body against hers. "Feel how much I want you. I tried to stay away, but God help me, I couldn't."

His mouth claimed hers in fierce desire. Jessie moaned, holding back only for a second, knowing deep down resistance was hopeless.

She couldn't help it . . . she kissed him back.

###

Remember: Life's too short not to love a Texan!!!

Happy Reading!!!

Offline Dana Taylor

• Hawaii
    • Supernal Living.com--Exploring wonder
      • View Profile
      • Supernal Living
    « Reply #84 on: October 05, 2010, 10:48:20 am »

After the hub-bub of summer, I have returned to the writing room and decided to pop over here and see who is about.  How delightful to find this thread has continued on.  Since I started it, I have uploaded the ebook version of a paperback published as "That Devil Moon" a few years back.  It's a romantic comedy with a few paranormal touches (Granny's ghost has turned into a favorite character.)  I'm so grateful that Kindle is allowing this story to have a second life.

Supernal Friends Publishing has an October Reader's Contest going on to win a $10 Amazon Gift Card.  Read the details here: http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=7vv5lydab&v=001HyWuGvOOR8jM-AeWvzhIvQaG-jPUp7dtGr5deYnNCQFAghr60Ozt4Z10V2kwvqp21Lfcp2rtW7dhuinUiT-LnYefds-Yvxxax94KUof7FHZ9AJmZrTNPVkueGmEIq07wdWGJKGJ6i3A%3D

I look forward to catching up with many of the books listed here!

Dana
    Dana Taylor
    Twitter: @SupernalDana @bookluvinbabes Blog www.DanaTaylorAuthor.com

Offline donna callea

• Florida
      • View Profile
    « Reply #85 on: October 06, 2010, 10:45:35 am »
    The Haircut, A New Year's Tale is a whimsical, sensual love story that begins just after Christmas, 1948, in a city that could be New York.  Hope you'll give it a try.

Donna Callea

Offline Dana Taylor

• Hawaii
      • View Profile
      • Supernal Living
    « Reply #86 on: October 06, 2010, 12:17:52 pm »
    The Haircut, A New Year's Tale is a whimsical, sensual love story that begins just after Christmas, 1948, in a city that could be New York.  Hope you'll give it a try.

Hi Donna--I jumped over to Amazon to read the book description and I think it is a perfect illustration of the unusual setting plot that being an "Indie."  It's not the standard Harlequin fare, is it?

Dana

Hope it's okay to cut and paste here:

"Two days after Christmas, 1948, in a city that could be New York, a young woman prepares to get a life-altering haircut. She's a princess, a post-war refugee, from an Eastern European principality that no longer exists. And she's being forced by her guardians-- her nefarious aunt and uncle-- to marry an obscenely rich industrialist who's got something of a hair fetish. The man, it seems, is aroused only by her amazingly long, glorious hair. So to save herself, she decides to get it all cut off. But she doesn't count on falling in love with the handsome young barber who refuses, at first, to do her bidding. Nor does the barber count on becoming entranced by the strangest customer he's ever encountered. Even after the severely shorn former princess is beaten beyond recognition for her act of rebellion, the barber, a widower still grieving for his late wife, finds her irresistible. Add to the mix Misha, an angel from the Old Country whose specialty is New Year's Eve. Ultimately, "The Haircut" is a story that weaves whimsy with romance, plus more serious themes, as it underscores the timelessness and hope of the season in which it's set."
    Dana Taylor

Offline donna callea

• Florida
      • View Profile
    « Reply #87 on: October 06, 2010, 04:04:48 pm »
    Hi Dana,

Thanks for posting the description of The Haircut.  You're right.  It doesn't fit into any of the standard romance categories.  I had an agent for a while who really loved it, but she wasn't able to sell it for that reason. 

Donna Callea

Offline Dana Taylor

• Hawaii
      • View Profile
      • Supernal Living
    « Reply #88 on: November 27, 2010, 12:31:57 pm »
    Hi-Ho--

I thought it was time to resurrect this thread.  I haven't pitched PRINCESS ROBIN on this thread, my campy twist on the Robin Hood legend. I used this as an RWA contest piece before I was published.  It won first place in "Great Expectations" and the "Gotcha" Contests.   Here's the blurb:

Prepare ye for a lark as the Robin Hood legend is turned upside down in the award winning romance,

The Kings Secret Daughter

The secret daughter of King Richard the Lion-Hearted, Princess Robin leads her Merry Men against the tyrannical reign of Prince John.  Feisty and fearless, Robin fights injustice as she awaits the return of her crusading father.  Will he acknowledge his rustic, bandit daughter?

The Kings Spy

Arrogant knight extraordinaire, Sir Simon of Loxley returns to England as King Richards spy.  Posing as a court jester, he encounters the formidable Princess Robin. Can such dominating personalities form an alliance? Will love overcome stubborn pride?

Filled with humor, adventure, color and romance, Princess Robin presents delightful twists to the beloved Sherwood tale.  (Any historical accuracy is strictly coincidental.)

Enjoy!  Dana Taylor

Dana Taylor

Offline Maria Romana

• NC, USA
    • ...should be working on WIP...
      • View Profile
      • Research Triangle Publications
    « Reply #89 on: November 27, 2010, 12:42:30 pm »
    Hi Dana,

I had never noticed this thread before, and probably wouldn't have if it weren't for my book being the KBBOD today and haunting the Book Bazaar!  I particularly liked your post about having your first book published.  I think that's a story that bears repeating--basically that finding a traditional publisher, while it may be validating and flattering, ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Thanks for starting and bumping this thread!

--Maria

Offline Dana Taylor

• Hawaii
      • View Profile
      • Supernal Living
    « Reply #90 on: November 27, 2010, 01:03:35 pm »
    Hi Dana,

I had never noticed this thread before, and probably wouldn't have if it weren't for my book being the KBBOD today and haunting the Book Bazaar!  I particularly liked your post about having your first book published.  I think that's a story that bears repeating--basically that finding a traditional publisher, while it may be validating and flattering, ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Thanks for starting and bumping this thread!

--Maria

Hi Maria--

While I have several friends who are now "making it" in traditional publishing, the restraints of producing a product primarily to make money for a corporation just sucks out my creative juices.  I'm so grateful that the ebook  and self-publishing is taking off.  To me it represents freedom of expression.

Dana
    Dana Taylor

Offline Consuelo Saah Baehr

• East Hampton, New York
    • Who would have thought?
      • View Profile
      • The repurposed writer
    « Reply #91 on: November 27, 2010, 01:48:47 pm »
    Nice Thanksgiving present:

I have two women's fiction books that have lots of romance in them:

Nothing to Lose:http://www.amazon.com/Nothing-To-Lose-ebook/dp/B0041N3RG6/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_2

Best Friends: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Friends-ebook/dp/B0042RV8PS/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_4

I have a historical saga( Daughters)  that is very romantic but you may not want to read a historical. 

Offline Maria Romana

• NC, USA
    • ...should be working on WIP...
      • View Profile
      • Research Triangle Publications
    « Reply #93 on: November 27, 2010, 09:14:01 pm »
    While I have several friends who are now "making it" in traditional publishing, the restraints of producing a product primarily to make money for a corporation just sucks out my creative juices.  I'm so grateful that the ebook  and self-publishing is taking off.  To me it represents freedom of expression.

Yes, exactly!  While I see value in the services that a traditional publisher offers in terms of editing, art, etc., the idea of being constrained by someone else's vision of what your book should be (or more accurately, how to stuff your round book into some square hole) is just anathema.  I'm way too much of an individualist to ever be able to conform!

:) Maria

Offline 25803

• View Profile
    « Reply #94 on: November 27, 2010, 09:24:35 pm »
    Hi Maria--

Dana

I hadn't seen this thread before, but I wanted to comment that as someone with one foot in each world (indie and traditional), I love the freedom that indie publishing offers.  I'm not making anywhere as much money on my indie offerings, but I'm hoping with time they will take off.  I've been learning oodles by reading this forum.

I have a romantic comedy Christmas story that's special to my heart available on Kindle called Angel Be Good.  It won all sorts of unpublished writer contests, but never quite "fit" anywhere -- too short for single title romance and didn't work for Harlequin.  Since it's my favorite of all the books I've written, I'm so glad to be able to offer it as an eBook.

Thanks for this thread!

Offline DonnaFaz

• Delaware, USA
      • View Profile
      • Donna Fasano, author
    « Reply #95 on: November 28, 2010, 04:41:06 am »
    Kathy, I just went to your website and read your reviews. Wow! Wow! Wow!

Like you, I've got my foot planted in both worlds, too, and I'm learning LOTS from the authors here. One of the things I've learned is that there are some excellent writers out there who have created some highly entertaining stories, yet these books would be passed up by traditional publishers because they don't 'fit' into specific genres for one reason or another. I am so happy that Amazon and BN and Smashwords are giving authors a voice and a market they've never had before.

I'm just now discovering that Harlequin has put 2 of my books up for sale as Kindle versions: Royal Seduction and Close Proximity. This has given me the kick in the pants I needed to get my backlist (I own the rights to 11 of my backlist titles) up on Kindle asap.

These are exciting times for writers!

Oh, Kathy, I just bought Angel Be Good. And, Dana, I bought Shiny Green Shoes, as well!

~Donna~

Offline Victoria lane & R.T. Fox

• View Profile
    « Reply #96 on: November 28, 2010, 05:09:36 am »
    Dana Give my two books a try.

Offline 25803

• View Profile
    « Reply #97 on: November 28, 2010, 09:55:42 am »
    Kathy, I just went to your website and read your reviews. Wow! Wow! Wow!

Like you, I've got my foot planted in both worlds, too, and I'm learning LOTS from the authors here.
    ~Donna~

Donna, thank you!

I just bought your Merry Go Round and Dana's Princess Robin :)

You should definitely get your backlist titles up!  I have friends making decent money from their backlist HQ's :)  As you said, these are exciting times for writers.  I'm so happy to have found the KindleBoards.

Offline DonnaFaz

• Delaware, USA
      • View Profile
      • Donna Fasano, author
    « Reply #98 on: November 28, 2010, 10:11:27 am »
    Kathy, would mind mentioning a few names? I'd like to take a look at their product pages to see how they've done things (product description, pricing, etc).

I discovered that the product description for Close Proximity is all wrong: wrong plot, wrong charater names.  :-\ I contacted Amazon but have heard nothing from them.

Offline terrireid

• small-town USA
    • Author - Paranormal Mysteries
      • View Profile
    « Reply #99 on: November 28, 2010, 10:39:15 am »
    Hi!

Since the last time I posted in September, I have two more books to offer.
    Ghost of New Orleans - is a paranormal romance based in a post -Katrina setting. It offers ghosts, voodoo, humor and, of course, romance.  http://www.amazon.com/PARANORMAL-RESEARCH-CONTAINMENT-DIVISION-ebook/dp/B0046LV7V0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290968807&sr=8-1
    Today's rank at Amazon is:
    Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #1,828 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
    #3 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Fiction > Horror > Ghosts
    #4 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror > Ghosts
    #15 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Fiction > Horror > Occult

The other book is my second in the Mary O'Reilly Paranormal Mystery Series - Good Tidings.  Loose Ends - the first has sold nearly 2000 books since August when it was released.  It has consistently been ranked either number one or number two in the Ghosts categories at Amazon.   Good Tidings was just released on Wednesday night and has already received five 5-star reviews and has sold over 70 books.
    http://www.amazon.com/Tidings-OReilly-Paranormal-Mystery-ebook/dp/B004DI7JZO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1290968807&sr=8-3  Here's the description:
    Black Friday - the official opening of the Holiday Shopping Season and Patrice Marcum is stuck in the middle of her local superstore with a crying infant, a near hysterical desire to just abandon the diapers and milk she desperately needs, and the snowstorm of the century dumping a half-foot of snow on the parking lot outside. She needs a miracle.
    The little old lady seemed sweet, but there was no way Patrice was going to leave three-month old Jeremy with a stranger. She looked outside at the snow-covered parking lot and saw yet another distressed shoppers cart topple over in the drifts. The old lady sensed her distress and volunteered to call a store employee to help watch over Jeremy while Patrice got her car. The older gentleman, wearing a store badge with the name Ron, seemed too good to be true. What could be safer?
    Less than five minutes later, after brushing the snow off the van and driving across the crowded and snow-packed parking lot, Patrice pulls up in front of the store. Jeremy is not there. Pushing back panic, she rushes into the store and looks around. Jeremy is not inside either. She pushes through the line at Customer Service, the associate calls Ron on the intercom, and issues a Code Adam. When Ron appears and hes only seventeen years old, Patrice realizes the worst. Oh God! Theyve taken my baby!
    Mary OReilly, Private Investigator, is decorating her office for the holiday season when the newly installed bell over her door jingles. She looks over to see a six year-old boy standing next to her desk. His name is Joey Marcum and he wants to hire Mary to find his baby brother
    Mary nodded. Okay, Joey, but Ill want to work with the police on this one. Do you have any problems with that?
    Joey paused. No, I guess you can talk to them.   
    Thatll be helpful.
    But you cant tell my mom youre working for me, he said, Promise?
    Yes, I promise.
    Joey shrugged. I dont think shed understand, seeing that Im dead, you know.

I hope you enjoy them!!!

Terri

KBoards.com

• Advertisement