Author Topic: Mighty Bright Triple LED Book Light - Pic Heavy  (Read 6266 times)  

Offline Cobrastrike

• View Profile
Mighty Bright Triple LED Book Light - Pic Heavy
« on: March 02, 2010, 07:57:14 pm »
Specifications (from Mighty Bright's web site):

# Featuring three ultra-white, state-of-the-art LEDs (light emitting diodes)
# Lensed to spread light evenly
# Sleek, compact design stow it anywhere
# Telescoping arm for maximum adjustability, retracts into holder
# Clip-on to books or magazines or use a free standing task light
# Fully collapsed unit can be used as a flashlight
# LEDs never need replacing
# Uses 3 AAA batteries (not included)
# Long battery life

First off, I want to say that this is by far the best book light I have ever owned when it comes to page coverage (and I have owned a few).

I came across this light while browsing my local Chapters Book Store. Retailed for $19.99 CAD. I had my Kindle 2 and Noreve case with me so I made sure it fit before purchasing.
NOTE: I don't think there is a good way to mount this light directly to a Kindle 2 because of the long clip (see pics). If you have a case, this isn't a problem.

I am not a big fan of button cell batteries. They can be fairly expensive to replace, and if your light dies unexpectedly, you may have difficulty finding replacements. This light uses 3 AAA batteries which are much easier to find. I have rechargeable batteries in mine and so far have had about 12 hours of reading time in the dark with no flickering and no dimming.
Some people will complain about the large size of this light. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Yes it would be nice if it could be stored in the Kindle's case, but not a deal breaker for me.
This is a BRIGHT light. There are 3 LEDs that turn on together. There is no dim setting, nor is there a way to switch to two or even just one LED. That being said, the head is so adjustable that you can easily sleep beside someone and have little to no light spill out across the bed.
I mentioned adjustability - the LEDs are mounted on a 3 section telescoping arm which has a vertical swivel at the base which gives you in excess of 180 degrees of adjustability. The arm lets you extend the LEDs out to three different heights (obviously more light coverage at the highest level). The head can swivel through a full 360 degrees horizontally, and ninety degrees vertically so you have a huge amount of control over where you want the light to go.
The pictures below should make the adjustments a little clearer.

This is a completely darkened room. The only source of light is from the Mighty Bright (camera flash is off). Complete Kindle coverage.

Closed position - Top view.

Closed position - Bottom view.

Open - Arm at lowest level.

Open - Arm at middle level.

Open - Arm at highest level.

Swivelling the head.

Showing how it is mounted to the cover.

Size comparison to the Kindle 2.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 07:59:07 pm by Cobrastrike »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline cheerio

• View Profile
    Re: Mighty Bright Triple LED Book Light - Pic Heavy
    « Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 08:06:35 pm »
    great pics, nice ACU digital camo
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

"A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her." David Brinkle

Offline raven312

• Chicago
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 08:21:35 pm »
    I LIKE that!  I'm glad I already have two, or I'd snatch that one up, too.  How is it for weight?  I know it's heavier, but is the weight distracting?

Offline VictoriaP

• Rainy, dreary, gray Puget Sound
    • ^ ...wish I was back here...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 06:48:22 pm »
    Oh how I WISH that had a dimmer switch.  I love how compact it becomes, and I'm with you on the button batteries.  Unfortunately, I use the regular two LED mighty bright on the lower setting--with two LEDs on at full blast, it's way brighter than I need. I can't imagine it with three!
    "If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats." -- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

Offline TLM

• Midwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 10:19:56 am »
    This is the light I bought about two months ago.  The only light I have.  Saw it at a Borders, used a coupon  ;D, got it and the AC adapter for less than $20.  It isn't heavy and works wonderfully.  Now I just have to remember what I did with the adapter, I haven't had to use it as the batteries last so long.  8)

Offline identicaltriplets

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 10:23:21 am »
    I have the Mini Flex LED book light and LOVE it!  Super bright, super light, and PINK! :)
    Mom to identical triplets; Scripture studies and devotional writer

KBoards.com

• Advertisement