Author Topic: How do you market your audiobooks?  (Read 1299 times)  

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
How do you market your audiobooks?
« on: November 20, 2015, 07:16:41 am »
I'm curious if there are BookBub like equivalents for audiobooks.

Thanks!

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | Website

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline 555aaa

• Near Canada
      • View Profile
    Re: How do you market your audiobooks?
    « Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 10:51:55 pm »
    No. There are a couple of sites that will help you give away your audible promo codes. Jeffrey's audiobookblast is one and there is another that's posted here in the past but whose name escapes me (audavoxx?) Then there are blog/reviewers, and there's audiofile magazine which is a little more of a trade mag. And on the trade side there is Publisher's Weekly, which has an indie branch, booklife, which is doing some audiobooks. Booklife is more of a here's my book, do you want to review it scenario so it might be months if ever - same with audiofile magazine, but you can run (tradionally priced = expensive) print and web ads bot there and at Publisher's Weekly.

Fundamentally, however, because there's no price discounting on ACX/Audible, there's no carpet-bombing of free and 99c copies, so there are thus no hordes of promo sites all trying to build up their mailing lists. And having lots of reviews doesn't seem to drive sales. My current bestselling book, which is ranked 17th in Poetry (out of 1500 titles) on Audible, has no reviews.  So what I do, advertising-wise, is try to get people to buy my book as their first membership purchase, because that gives a $50 bounty payout, which is far more than the book royalties. So I'm giving Audible the big love there for those bounties. And sales, but I make sure to remind people that they can try Audible for their first month for free. I'd more than double my revenue if I could get 10% of sales to be bounty sales (I'm less than 2% now). So it's a huge opportunity to try to sell OUTSIDE the traditional audiobook customer base - those folks are already members.

But you should ask Rosalind or Mark Cooper as they sell boatloads more than I do.

Are you coming out with some audiobooks?
    « Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 11:10:04 pm by 555aaa »

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
      • View Profile
      • Impulse Books UK
    « Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 03:18:39 am »
    No. There are a couple of sites that will help you give away your audible promo codes. Jeffrey's audiobookblast is one and there is another that's posted here in the past but whose name escapes me (audavoxx?) Then there are blog/reviewers, and there's audiofile magazine which is a little more of a trade mag. And on the trade side there is Publisher's Weekly, which has an indie branch, booklife, which is doing some audiobooks. Booklife is more of a here's my book, do you want to review it scenario so it might be months if ever - same with audiofile magazine, but you can run (tradionally priced = expensive) print and web ads bot there and at Publisher's Weekly.

Fundamentally, however, because there's no price discounting on ACX/Audible, there's no carpet-bombing of free and 99c copies, so there are thus no hordes of promo sites all trying to build up their mailing lists. And having lots of reviews doesn't seem to drive sales. My current bestselling book, which is ranked 17th in Poetry (out of 1500 titles) on Audible, has no reviews.  So what I do, advertising-wise, is try to get people to buy my book as their first membership purchase, because that gives a $50 bounty payout, which is far more than the book royalties. So I'm giving Audible the big love there for those bounties. And sales, but I make sure to remind people that they can try Audible for their first month for free. I'd more than double my revenue if I could get 10% of sales to be bounty sales (I'm less than 2% now). So it's a huge opportunity to try to sell OUTSIDE the traditional audiobook customer base - those folks are already members.

But you should ask Rosalind or Mark Cooper as they sell boatloads more than I do.

Are you coming out with some audiobooks?

I use audiobookblast to get early reviews and the Facebook ads. There really isn't anything else yet.

Offline Geoff Jones

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 10:09:07 am »
    I'm interested in this question as well. I've just finished reviewing final edits on the audio files for The Dinosaur Four.

try to get people to buy my book as their first membership purchase, because that gives a $50 bounty payout, which is far more than the book royalties.

Sadly, this isn't available in all states. (I'm in Colorado.) According to the ACX FAQ:
    You must live in the UK or in an eligible state within the United States to earn bounties. Unfortunately, residents of Arkansas, Colorado, Missouri, Maine, Rhode Island, and Vermont are not eligible to earn bounties.

EDIT: 4/12/17 - the state-by-state restrictions on Bounties appears to have been removed. I just noticed a couple of Bounties on my dashboard and I'm still in Colorado.

I'll check out the Goodreads group - thanks Jack!

Any other tips?

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 05:04:58 am by Geoff Jones »

Ten strangers trapped in time... Who will survive?
    Geoff Jones | Website | Facebook

Offline Joe_Nobody

• Texas (east and west)
      • View Profile
      • Joe Nobody Books
    « Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 10:28:55 am »
    To the best of my knowledge, there is little available to specifically promote audio.

On that note, we decided a long time ago to promote the author or title, not a specific media or outlet. It just simplifies things.

ACX is now my second largest income stream after KDP, with paperbacks being pushed back to 3rd over a year ago.

Although limited, my experience has been the sales of audio units track more or less with an ebook's sales. If a bunch of folks buy the ebook, the audio follows suite. If not, well, you just invested a lot of time and/or money and it may be a while before you get a return. 

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 11:05:34 am »
    Although limited, my experience has been the sales of audio units track more or less with an ebook's sales. If a bunch of folks buy the ebook, the audio follows suite. If not, well, you just invested a lot of time and/or money and it may be a while before you get a return.

Thanks ... it sounds like "promote the hell out of your ebooks" then. I can do that!

C. Gockel | Website

Offline belindaf

• New York
      • View Profile
      • Belinda Frisch, Author
    « Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 06:51:30 pm »
    Great tip on the Goodreads group. I have audiobook codes available for all of the books in my signature if anyone is mystery/thriller/horror (with a medical theme) inclined. DM me if you are willing to provide honest, timely reviews. My zombie novels, CURE and AFTERBIRTH, are narrated by the fabulous Julia Farmer, voice of The Walking Dead's (video game) "Sarita."

Belinda Frisch | Twitter | Goodreads

Offline Marseille, France or Bust

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 09:41:15 pm »
    I just wrapped production on my first audiobook. Waiting for it to go live. Because it is not available yet, I've found another way to promote until then.

I've posted the first chapter for FREE on Soundcloud. I will begin advertising that page this week.
    https://soundcloud.com/patrice-williams-marks/the-abduction-of-nelly-don-novel-chapter-1

You can provide links to sales pages from there as well.

Offline benwest

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 10:03:31 pm »
    Thanks ... it sounds like "promote the hell out of your ebooks" then. I can do that!

You can also move a lot of audiobooks by giving away a lot of free copies of the eBook. My last free Bookbub, I gave away around 50K copies of the book, and amazingly enough, sold about 500 copies of the audiobook. This is for a title that I didn't think I would ever recoup the production cost of the audiobook. I've seen the same type of movement for .99-cent Bookbub ads as well.

Basically...move a lot of the eBook (sales or free) and you'll get spillover to the audiobook.

Offline victoriasmith

• View Profile
      • Author Victoria H. Smith
    « Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 10:42:24 am »
    You can also move a lot of audiobooks by giving away a lot of free copies of the eBook. My last free Bookbub, I gave away around 50K copies of the book, and amazingly enough, sold about 500 copies of the audiobook. This is for a title that I didn't think I would ever recoup the production cost of the audiobook. I've seen the same type of movement for .99-cent Bookbub ads as well.

Basically...move a lot of the eBook (sales or free) and you'll get spillover to the audiobook.

Benwest, was your book whispersync? I'm curious b/c my audiobook isn't and I wondered how well a bookbub ad would help sell audio that doesn't have that upgrade option :)

Victoria H. Smith | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Newsletter

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 12:21:53 pm »
    You can also move a lot of audiobooks by giving away a lot of free copies of the eBook. My last free Bookbub, I gave away around 50K copies of the book, and amazingly enough, sold about 500 copies of the audiobook.

If you sold that many, my guess is that the 'Bub is more likely to give preference to books with audiobooks. It shows their readers like them; and they're making bank on affiliate income by promoting those authors.

C. Gockel | Website

KBoards.com

• Advertisement