Author Topic: What are you binge-watching?  (Read 105914 times)  

Offline LGOULD

• View Profile
Re: What are you binge-watching?
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2015, 01:53:16 pm »
Thanks to Netflix, just finished with Mad Men. Went through House of Cards a couple of weeks ago.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #101 on: April 03, 2015, 09:56:33 pm »
    I finished watching Wolf Hall (based on Hilary Mantel books Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies) online.  It starts on PBS stations this Sunday night.  I will watch again.  Loved it.  Damien Lewis is Henry VIII, but the main character is Thomas Cromwell (Mark Rylance).  Claire Foy is Anne Boleyn.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #102 on: April 03, 2015, 10:05:50 pm »
    I finished watching Wolf Hall (based on Hilary Mantel books Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies) online. 
    Where are you finding this online prior to the PBS offering?
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #103 on: April 03, 2015, 10:10:26 pm »
    Been binging on Vikings.  Watching one every other night or so.  I'm about midway in Season 1 so far.  It's good escapist fare.

I'm going through Vikings withdrawal....

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #104 on: April 03, 2015, 10:11:53 pm »
    Vikings is AWESOME!
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline Susan Alison

• Bristol, UK
    • Romantic comedy, fantasy & colouring books
      • View Profile
      • Susan Alison Books and Art
    « Reply #105 on: April 04, 2015, 02:00:47 am »
    *makes note of Vikings*

*scampers off to Prime*

Romantic comedy, fantasy, colouring books, illustrated doggerel, short stories
    Susan Alison | website | Corgis Rule! colouring book | facebook | facebook again | Twitter | Pinterest | contact me | subscribe to news | blog

Offline JumpingShip

• View Profile
    « Reply #106 on: April 04, 2015, 06:53:22 am »
    I'm going through Vikings withdrawal....

Betsy

My teenage daughter watches Vikings so I have seen bits of it, but I can't stomach the violence. Weird because I can write violence, but can't watch it.

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #107 on: April 04, 2015, 07:09:54 am »
    My teenage daughter watches Vikings so I have seen bits of it, but I can't stomach the violence. Weird because I can write violence, but can't watch it.

The women are SOOO kick*ss.  I think the violence is on a par with say, Game of Thrones.  Seeing stuff, though, is definitely different than reading it (or writing it).

Betsy

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #108 on: April 04, 2015, 02:04:43 pm »
    Where are you finding this online prior to the PBS offering?

There is a facebook group about British culture.  The moderators post links using google docs to current TV shows. 

There is also a way to see UK shows around the time they air there with ITV , BBC and other channels' players, but it requires the use of an app (I have tunnelbear) that hides your location.  With ITV, I had to register with a UK zip code.  I haven't use this in a long time and need to cancel my tunnelbear account since I am paying $5/month. I don't have enough time to keep up with it, and I was having problems with the ITV player on my ipad, lots of buffering. All ITV shows have commercials and there is no way around that.  BBC is better for not having commercials, but when I have moved the time slider, there has been a lot of buffering.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline telracs

• NYC
    • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #109 on: April 04, 2015, 03:24:05 pm »
    I finished watching Wolf Hall (based on Hilary Mantel books Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies) online.  It starts on PBS stations this Sunday night.  I will watch again.  Loved it.  Damien Lewis is Henry VIII, but the main character is Thomas Cromwell (Mark Rylance).  Claire Foy is Anne Boleyn.

where did you find it on-line?  I saw some snippets and thought Damien Lewis looked wonderful.  I am not a huge Rylance fan but from what I saw he was good. 

(btw, I'm seeing the stage version in May)

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #110 on: April 04, 2015, 03:40:04 pm »
    See Marti's prior answer! :D

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #111 on: April 04, 2015, 04:08:55 pm »

That's why I don't watch it.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #112 on: April 04, 2015, 04:33:44 pm »
    There is a facebook group about British culture.  The moderators post links using google docs to current TV shows. 

There is also a way to see UK shows around the time they air there with ITV , BBC and other channels' players, but it requires the use of an app (I have tunnelbear) that hides your location.  With ITV, I had to register with a UK zip code.  I haven't use this in a long time and need to cancel my tunnelbear account since I am paying $5/month. I don't have enough time to keep up with it, and I was having problems with the ITV player on my ipad, lots of buffering. All ITV shows have commercials and there is no way around that.  BBC is better for not having commercials, but when I have moved the time slider, there has been a lot of buffering.
    Ah - thanks for the explanation Marti.
    Carol in 'burque

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
      • View Profile
      • Bayou Cover Designs
    « Reply #113 on: April 04, 2015, 06:12:42 pm »
    And I didn't know there was a British North and South.

North and South is one of my favorite mini-series! It's based on the 1855 novel  by Elizabeth Gaskell.

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | 2019 Reading Challenge | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #114 on: April 05, 2015, 05:52:34 am »
    North and South is one of my favorite mini-series! It's based on the 1855 novel  by Elizabeth Gaskell.

Interesting!  I thought 1855 was going to be a typo, but it's not!
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_and_South_(Gaskell_novel)

Offline donna callea

• Florida
      • View Profile
    « Reply #115 on: April 05, 2015, 04:55:37 pm »
    I'm really enjoying The White Queen, based on Philippa Gregory's novels.  I don't know why I never read the books.  This is really good historical drama, but it seems that they had a shortage of first names in that era, so lots of people are named Henry, Margaret and Edward.  Can get a little confusing for those of us not up on the British monarchy.  But it's also very educational.  It's set several monarchies prior to Wolf Hall, from what I gather.  Really looking forward to the premiere of Wolf Hall tonight on PBS.

Donna Callea

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #116 on: April 05, 2015, 07:21:11 pm »
    I'm really enjoying The White Queen, based on Philippa Gregory's novels.  I don't know why I never read the books.  ... Really looking forward to the premiere of Wolf Hall tonight on PBS.
    The White Queen is on my to-watch list & I am too looking forward to Wolf Hall  ;)
    Carol in 'burque

Offline B-Kay 1325

• Tucson, Az
      • View Profile
    « Reply #117 on: April 06, 2015, 10:40:21 am »
    I have been watching the entire series of Glee.  Even though I watched every episode as it was originally aired and have watched some of the seasons as I got the DVDs, (I have them all) I decided to watch them all from the audition episode before the pilot and I finished Season 5 last night.  I have preordered Season 6 but still have the episodes on the DVR and will watch them next.  I thought that I would get bored with it before I finished but I was pleasantly surprised to see things I didn't remember happening and of course I really love the musical performances.  I thought that knowing that actor Cory Monteith had died and the impact on the show would make it hard to watch I found that I didn't focus on that but instead was able to enjoy the storyline.

I know that some of my friends and family never understood my interest in this show (I'm in my 60's) but my DDH and I met in High School in our Freshman year and were in what was our equivalent to Glee Club so understood a lot of the dynamics of what was going on and I love singing and the music.  I am sure I will binge watch the series again in the future.

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
      • View Profile
      • Bayou Cover Designs
    « Reply #118 on: April 07, 2015, 04:57:20 pm »
    Interesting!  I thought 1855 was going to be a typo, but it's not!
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_and_South_(Gaskell_novel)

Yeah, no typo. Her novel actually pre-dates the American Civil War.  ;) I've never read any of her books, but I've also watched the movie adaptations of Cranford &  Wives and Daughters... both are very good!

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | 2019 Reading Challenge | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline donna callea

• Florida
      • View Profile
    « Reply #119 on: April 07, 2015, 05:24:14 pm »
    Just started on House, and I can't believe we waited this long. Good thing we have oh so many episodes to catch up.

A while back I binge watched all of House when I was home sick.  Didn't make me feel better, but I thoroughly enjoyed the series.

Donna Callea

Offline Not Here Anymore

• View Profile
    « Reply #120 on: April 07, 2015, 05:32:01 pm »
    Just found Agent Carter. Really enjoying it. Hope there will be another season....??

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #121 on: April 07, 2015, 06:07:09 pm »
    The White Queen is on my to-watch list & I am too looking forward to Wolf Hall  ;)

I started watching The White Queen and enjoyed the beginning. I pretty much know the history. For some reason, I never got back to it.

I have been watching the entire series of Glee.  Even though I watched every episode as it was originally aired and have watched some of the seasons as I got the DVDs, (I have them all) I decided to watch them all from the audition episode before the pilot and I finished Season 5 last night.  I have preordered Season 6 but still have the episodes on the DVR and will watch them next.  I thought that I would get bored with it before I finished but I was pleasantly surprised to see things I didn't remember happening and of course I really love the musical performances.  I thought that knowing that actor Cory Monteith had died and the impact on the show would make it hard to watch I found that I didn't focus on that but instead was able to enjoy the storyline.

I know that some of my friends and family never understood my interest in this show (I'm in my 60's) but my DDH and I met in High School in our Freshman year and were in what was our equivalent to Glee Club so understood a lot of the dynamics of what was going on and I love singing and the music.  I am sure I will binge watch the series again in the future.

I loved the first season. The second season was okay. The third season got back on track. But after they graduated, I didn't like the new cast. I felt they were a wimpy version of the originals.

Offline balaspa

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
      • My website
    « Reply #122 on: April 08, 2015, 12:29:16 pm »
    Finally finished all of the available seasons of Game of Thrones and have now started The Last Ship via Hulu.
    The new thriller TEXT is available now!

Offline balaspa

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
      • My website
    « Reply #123 on: April 10, 2015, 11:31:54 am »
    Daredevil on Netflix.
    The new thriller TEXT is available now!

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #124 on: April 10, 2015, 12:45:56 pm »
    Daredevil on Netflix.

I've been having a lot of problems with netflix the last couple of days.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement