Kindle Forum banner

What are you binge-watching?

144K views 1K replies 212 participants last post by  *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon) 
#1 ·
OK, I'm binge-watching The Closer.  Really enjoying this.  I never watched it at all when it was on.  Kyra Sedgewick and the ensemble cast are great!  On episode 13 of season 1.

Betsy

#1,129 ·
Atunah said:
Ohh, this sounds interesting. Going to see if I can find it on one of my gazillion streaming services.
It has a mysterious Gothic vibe to it. I've got the last episode recorded on my dvr & I'm hoping to get to it tonight.

Atunah... are you a Poldark fan? It's one of my favorites & I'm so looking forward to the season 4 premiere Sunday night, September 30th! ;D

#1,130 ·
cagnes said:
It has a mysterious Gothic vibe to it. I've got the last episode recorded on my dvr & I'm hoping to get to it tonight.

Atunah... are you a Poldark fan? It's one of my favorites & I'm so looking forward to the season 4 premiere Sunday night, September 30th! ;D
Ah yes, Poldark. Brooding shirtless SOB Poldark. There are times I wish Demelza would cut his jewels off. I love to hate him. I haven't actually finished season 3 yet though. So I guess I can binge that and then start on 4 and hate on Poldark all over again. While I slightly drool over the brooding dork. ;D

#1,131 ·
Atunah said:
Ah yes, Poldark. Brooding shirtless SOB Poldark. There are times I wish Demelza would cut his jewels off. I love to hate him. I haven't actually finished season 3 yet though. So I guess I can binge that and then start on 4 and hate on Poldark all over again. While I slightly drool over the brooding dork. ;D
I remember watching the original Poldark in high school, maybe earlier. Masterpiece Theatre was family TV night on Sunday. I enjoyed it, but never had any desire to watch the remake.

Upstairs/Downstairs was also a 'must watch' when it was running. I tried to watch Downton Abbey, but, while I liked the first season or so well enough, at some point I just got to the point where I didn't want to watch: didn't like bad things happening to the people I liked and didn't care what happened to the rest of 'em. :-\

#1,132 ·
I watched the entire new limited series Maniac on Netflix in one day. Ten episodes about 45 minutes each and they flew by! It stars Emma Stone and Jonah Hill and is set in a unique retro-ish future. I found it highly addictive! Very unique story that can be a bit hard to follow at times but enjoyable. Great performances, esp Sally Field who shows up about mid way through. Created and directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga, who did the first season of True Detective.

#1,133 ·
Atunah said:
This makes me want to watch Poldark more than any promo I've seen. ;D

urrutiap said:
Currently Im binge watching Season 4 of Longmire on Netflix
Love Longmire

#1,134 ·
Atunah said:
I often feel the same way, but I still love, love the show! I think my blood pressure shoots up every time I see
George Warleggan... I can't stand the little turd! :mad:
I tried reading the book, but just couldn't get into it and gave up after a few chapters.

Cuechick said:
I watched the entire new limited series Maniac on Netflix in one day. Ten episodes about 45 minutes each and they flew by! It stars Emma Stone and Jonah Hill and is set in a unique retro-ish future. I found it highly addictive! Very unique story that can be a bit hard to follow at times but enjoyable. Great performances, esp Sally Field who shows up about mid way through. Created and directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga, who did the first season of True Detective.
Good to hear that you liked it, that one is on my watchlist. Hope to get to is soon. :)

#1,135 ·
cagnes said:
I often feel the same way, but I still love, love the show! I think my blood pressure shoots up every time I see
George Warleggan... I can't stand the little turd! :mad:
I tried reading the book, but just couldn't get into it and gave up after a few chapters.
I tried the first Poldark book myself and also couldn't finish. I didn't get far either. I found it all wooden and no sense of the characters. I just couldn't get any feels out of it. Just nothing. For as many words as there were, I got no real ness out of it. Pictures in my head or just any kind of emotions. Maybe the writing style, I have no clue. But I need the setting and the characters come to life for me to get into a book. Otherwise I am out.

So I prefer the TV version, cause where else could one get that perfect brooding specimen this actor delivers. ;D

I agree with your spoiler. Ugh.

I can't stand Miss wishy washy. Miss pony princess.

#1,137 ·
I hadn't binged anything for a long time.  Over the past couple days I binged the last season of Longmire.  In the beginning wasn't a series I thought I'd like, but I did. Liked both characters and actors very much.  They've ridden off into the sunset.  No new stories.  I will miss them.

#1,138 ·
Sadly I am finished with the Inspector Lynley series. I wish there were more seasons.  :( I really enjoyed it and also that the episodes are 1.5 hours long. It makes the mysteries more rich I think.

Now I am at a loss at what to watch next. I watched the very first of the Midsomer Murders and I am not sure if that is for me. Unless the tone and characters change a lot in upcoming episodes, its very, how to put it, over the top and cartoonish. Like everyone is overacting and overdoing the cutesey silliness. I don't know. Maybe I need to find something less cozy and more mystery. I'll browse through Britbox and Acorn and see whats there. But I really don't feel like watching a bunch of 1st episodes just to find something i like. Just like I don't read samples of books, I don't like partial tv in my head. Waste of time.

I always feel let down when I finish a series I really like, so hard to find things I like as it is. Most newer type shows are not made for me. And lots of what so popular doesn't interest me at all.

#1,141 ·
Of all things, I am now watching old episodes if The Dick van **** Show on Amazon Prime. I hadn’t seen an episode in at least forty years! Even some of the “liberated” ideas are not quite that. A message in one episode is that husbands should help wives with housework. Fair enough, except that a major reason given for this is to give the wife more time to primp and look pretty for her man!  ::)

The individual episodes range from very funny to “why was film wasted recording this?”

#1,143 ·
I am flailing trying to find another show on acorn or britbox. If anyone has anything they liked on there let me know.

We watch Shetland already, not really binging as both of us like it so its slow going. I do have to use subtitles for at least a few minutes of the show.  ;D. More like that show I'd like to find.

So I started the Murdock mysteries. As description, this was spot on what I would like. The setting, policework in those early days, etc. Like i like reading historical mysteries. Unfortunately, they film this like the CSI shows I hate. Or even soap operas. Like obvious thing happens, surprised face of main character, lets move in really close with the camera, lightbulb goes off and fade out. Its really cheesy. I watched 3 so far in the hopes it gets better. Because I really like the sprinkled in "new" technology. But I don't know how long I can stare at the main characters eye liner in close up.  :-\. Especially since he makes those puppy eyes at the same time and then next scene.

I wish they had made that a more serious series. It would have been amazing.

I was trying to watch "Silent Witness" which is a long running series about I think coroners. But hulu only has it from season 7 on, the first 6 seasons I'd have to buy and they are not cheap. Ouch. So I can't watch it. I can't skip ahead on stuff.

So onward looking for the one. Or two.

#1,144 ·
I just finished Midsomer Murders -- at least as many seasons as Netflix has, which is 19. I gather there's one more but it's just from this year so I'm hoping it'll be added sometime next year.

I figure to start Shetland next, though I've already read many of the books on which their based. We'll see. I'm a wee bit concerned the northern accents will be a bit much but, if so, I'll put the closed captioning on. Usually I do o.k. with it, though, once I get used to it, and especially if I can watch their lips while they talk.

#1,145 ·
I totally needed the captions for a while. There be some heavy accent and lots of mumbling. The mumbling is a thing on most shows now, no matter the accents. But it makes it worse. Like you, once I get a hang of a character and am able to read the lips along with listening, it gets better. I love the setting, the colors, just everything about it. I read they filmed most stuff on scotlands main land, but some stuff they had to get actual shots.

Love the acting, the main character doesn't move anything in his face at times and yet says so much.

I never read any books about it. Heck, I didn't even know the show existed until recently.

#1,146 ·
Atunah said:
I totally needed the captions for a while. There be some heavy accent and lots of mumbling. The mumbling is a thing on most shows now, no matter the accents. But it makes it worse. Like you, once I get a hang of a character and am able to read the lips along with listening, it gets better. I love the setting, the colors, just everything about it. I read they filmed most stuff on scotlands main land, but some stuff they had to get actual shots.

Love the acting, the main character doesn't move anything in his face at times and yet says so much.

I never read any books about it. Heck, I didn't even know the show existed until recently.
The series is by Ann Cleeves. Here's the first one:

It looks like the TV series actually starts more in the middle -- based on what I saw in the write up, at least, the title of the first episode of the first TV series is the same as the 3rd in the book series.

So my mindset is to consider it as set in the same place, and the names might be the same, but it's not really the same stories at all. :D

#1,147 ·
Thanks Ann.

I am having the deja vu. I swear I have seen this cover before. Probably right in this thread. I probably asked about that before. And someone showed me that cover. I just can't retain stuff anymore as good as I used to. Or I should say useful stuff. I remember useless stuff from 30 years all the time. Like stupid stuff.

I'll stick with the TV on this one. I don't like to go back. And now again I feel like I have said that before too about those same books. I am losing it.  :-X

#1,148 ·
Atunah said:
Thanks Ann.

I am having the deja vu. I swear I have seen this cover before. Probably right in this thread. I probably asked about that before. And someone showed me that cover. I just can't retain stuff anymore as good as I used to. Or I should say useful stuff. I remember useless stuff from 30 years all the time. Like stupid stuff.

I'll stick with the TV on this one. I don't like to go back. And now again I feel like I have said that before too about those same books. I am losing it. :-X
I think we discussed the series in the Corner -- in mysteries by female authors thread. :)

#1,149 ·
I am watching Making a Murderer season 2.  Finding explanation of the legal process very interesting.  Kathleen Zellner's office is just four miles from me.  Drive 1.5 miles, turn corner.  Then drive 2.5 miles more and I am there.  Hello, Kathleen.

#1,151 ·
Recently via Netflix (got a subscription automatically when we switched to TMobile so am taking full advantage)

Death in Paradise
Doctor Blake Mysteries
Shetland -- which is based on a series of books I'm reading, so I'm trying to go through it slowly so that I'll have read the books first. I think I've finished all that are based on actual books now, though, and subsequent episodes are original stories.