Author Topic: Going Wide : Sharing Data on Selling Beyond Amazon's KDP Select Program  (Read 60503 times)  

Offline Elizabeth Ann West

• San Antonio, TX
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
Starting this thread because we all do individual update threads on when we make the transition from KDP exclusive to take advantage of Amazon's programs, to distributing wide. The posts shared will give future authors an idea of what the transition looked like at the time the author moved in the new direction.

When possible, it's helpful to have numbers for comparison, and maybe an explanation of which vendors you are selling books on. :)

Here is my first major update:

Due to diminishing borrows, despite adding more books to the KU program, I decided last December to start pulling my books. By end of January, I had 3 titles pulled out, by end of February, I had 5 pulled out. The only book still in KU is my first novel, Cancelled (which sell 2-3 books a month and 2-3 borrows a month, it's mostly just a forgotten book). It comes out in March.

I didn't get A Summer Shame out of KU until February 21. March will be my first month ALL of my historical fiction titles are out.

In February, which was an insane month for me ( first time a book has been #1 in a subgenre for multiple DAYS, yippee), I had 51 borrows still. LOL. Most of those were latent borrows, borrows people made before a book was pulled out. I had 1212  ebook sales on Amazon (not including borrows).

For all other channels, I had 129 sales, with Nook being biggest (79). January's sales on Nook was 35, so I am still growing. Earnings for all other channels on all books was $383.49. The last month of full borrows I had was December where I made $510.51. The fact that my outside venue sales are within $120 of that total, I definitely think I made the right move FOR ME.

Here are some takeaways:

* It definitely is easier to make money on the other venues when you have a catalog of books. I am still in the one reader at a time mode, where I share my Nook or Apple author page for example on social media every few days, and that's the days I see clicks on the bit.ly and usually 1 sale of a few of my books. In other words, I am reaching a reader or two interested in my titles, and they are buying multiple titles at one time. If I only had one or two books, my earnings would be a third of what I have.

* I saw my Amazon sales rebound to cover the earnings from borrows when I pulled my books out. Because my royalty is higher than the payout, it didn't take the same volume of sales to make the same amount or more in revenue.

* Others have said a free book makes it easier to get traction. I am testing a low cost loss leader, my Christmas novella, that is $1.75, on all vendors. I plan to have another 20k story out at the same price next month. I don't want to do free, but I do agree with the wisdom of an inexpensive way readers can try me out.

THEY say (the trade pubs) that Amazon has roughly 65% of the ebook market. Right now, my other vendor sales are 9% of my total ebook sales, 12% of my total ebook revenue assuming $1.40 for those 51 borrows. I don't think that's too shabby for just two months of an attempt, and not even one month yet of all books out everywhere else. My original plan was to take until June of serious work on my part to sell books everywhere, not just Amazon. I am optimistic that with another $8.24 book releasing next month wide, March or April will see $500+ in other than Amazon ebook sales.

Everyone HAS to make their own decision. I think KU can be great in many situations. I am only sharing this for other authors to see how long it can take and the kind of circumstances it can take to see some return on going wide. I do link to my Rose Room catalog at the back of ALL of my books so readers can easily find the vendor they love best to buy books. I am doing my best to promote my books on all vendors as evenly as possible, but Kindle links do still get top spot when I am making a list.
Modify message
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 06:17:12 am by Elizabeth Ann West »

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | Read chapters for free! | WhatAuthorsNeedtoKnow.com

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline SB James

• View Profile
      • SB James Doing the Write Thing
    Great analysis!
    As for the "Amazon is 65% of all ebook sales," I think that's going to change this year. As I begin reaching out more to my target audience, I'm finding they aren't shopping on Amazon.
    I also believe things are different when you have a loss leader that is still paid as opposed to a permafree book. I recall when The Beginning was still 99 cents. Hardly anyone bought it. Anyone who had bought The Inventor's Son might have seen it and bought it, but that was it. On B&N it was even worse.
    Once I had The Inventor's Son out of Select (where in KU, it performed quite badly), it was different. Then, especially once I went wide, The Beginning would get downloaded, then The Inventor's Son would sell--on other sales channels. With Amazon, the permafree does not seem to work as well as it does elsewhere.

Author and Artist
    SB James | WordPress | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Pinterest | Google+ | Website

TobiasRoote

Adding mine in.

I came out of Select at the end of January 2015 and I just finished February 2015 and this is what I found.

AMAZON
    I sold 9.3% more books in February (a 28 day month) than in January.(Not including free, or lends)
    I earned 8.6% less in February than January 2015 (I dropped a book to 99c, then free'd it)
    My last KUL/KOLL borrow was on the 26th February, a month after leaving KDP Select. (I haven't calculated any income from this)

I unpublished one book in February.

OTHERS
    Createspace I sold 100% more paperbacks. (2)
    D2D I sold 7 books (5 Free) against 4 books in January.

In addition, I finished the major revamp of my website ready to promote sales from my own platform later in the Spring.
    I did various small promotions - one from KB which didn't produce me much, another two from Fiverr, again insignificant results and a couple of email promo's, again, only a small impact on sales.

Offline Herc- The Reluctant Geek

• Australia
      • View Profile
      • The Reluctant Geek
    Sometimes it feels to me like I don't make enough of an effort. To be honest, I took a peek in here because I didn't really understand the title...

Thanks for all the info  :) It's what make this board a fabulous resource.

• San Antonio, TX
      • View Profile
    Is the new title better? If not, tell me title you want. :)

TobiasRoote

It should be titled

ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ AMAZON   :P

Offline kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
      • View Profile
      • Kathryn O'Halloran
    I love being non-exclusive to Amazon. I got out of Select in Oct last year with most of my books and pretty much straight away have been earning more elsewhere (mainly itunes) than on Amazon. In December, KDP was only 30% of my income. I've not noticed a huge drop in my KDP earnings either. I did get a high number of borrows from KOLL on the first couple of months but that soon died out.

The only time I've questioned it was when I released a new book in a new series in December. It never really took off and maybe if I'd done Select for the first 3 monthsthen gone wide with it when I released book 2, I'd have got more momentum. Or maybe not. Maybe the book just didn't resonate with readers.

rachelmarquez

Thank you for sharing. My results have been similar.

TobiasRoote

I did get a high number of borrows from KOLL on the first couple of months but that soon died out.

I noticed the downloads when I went free on my first book were a humungous 2,000+ the first two days. Now that the serial downloaders are done it's a more healthy 200 D/L's a day. I suspect the borrows/lends are much the same - furious to start with then steady afterwards.

The only time I've questioned it was when I released a new book in a new series in December. It never really took off and maybe if I'd done Select for the first 3 months then gone wide with it when I released book 2, I'd have got more momentum. Or maybe not. Maybe the book just didn't resonate with readers.

I've had this thought with my latest book that never went into Select. It's not gaining much traction, but I'm going to give it time - it might yet fly.

Offline SB James

• View Profile
      • SB James Doing the Write Thing
    It should be titled

ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ AMAZON   :P
    Yes!
    It really is like being freed from book jail.

Author and Artist
    SB James | WordPress | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Pinterest | Google+ | Website

Offline Cactus Lady

• Arizona
      • View Profile
      • Welcome To My Worlds
    Re: Going Wide : Sharing Data on Selling Beyond Amazon's KDP Select Program
    « Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 07:38:55 am »
    * It definitely is easier to make money on the other venues when you have a catalog of books. I am still in the one reader at a time mode, where I share my Nook or Apple author page for example on social media every few days, and that's the days I see clicks on the bit.ly and usually 1 sale of a few of my books. In other words, I am reaching a reader or two interested in my titles, and they are buying multiple titles at one time. If I only had one or two books, my earnings would be a third of what I have.

That's a great idea, to share your author pages at the other sites! I never would have thought of that.

The big thing I've noticed since pulling my two books that were in Select out is the novel, while it was in Select/KU, was getting a regular number of sales followed by returns and then borrows. It's hard to tell, but it looked like people were buying it then returning it so they could borrow it instead. Since coming out of Select, I've run a promo on that same novel and moved a decent number of copies, and not one return on it.
    Tales of Fantasy, Heroism, and Romance
    Genres: Epic Romantic Fantasy, Fantasy-western
    http://www.kyrahalland.com

Offline sela

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 07:59:37 am »
    I started out in KDPS and did really well there for the first two years of my career and even made enough to quit my day job in November 2013 because my Amazon income exceeded my day job income by 50%.

I started pulling out my books from KDPS in April 2014 to go wide with a multi-author boxed set and decided to pull out completely. In the summer I was wide and was doing really well on other retailers due to several Bookbub 99c promotions. Then KU happened and my revenues on Amazon dropped by 50% in the third quarter of 2014 at the time that the Bookbub long tail was starting to wane on the other retailers.

So I panicked. At the time, I decided to go all back in with KDPS and KU. At first, the increased revenues from borrows made up for the loss of income from other retailers, but that soon waned and I saw my income slide to almost half of what it was in Q1 and Q2. OW!

Here's the sad story in Amazon income for 2014:

Q1: $14,318.19 average per month (Jan, Feb, Mar)

Q2: $15,003.88 average per month (Apr, May, June)

Q3: $8,585.10 average per month (July, Aug, Sept)

Q4: $8,892.08 average per month (Oct, Nov, Dec)

I decided to pull out of KDPS for all my full-length books and keep my novella series in KU because it does well there as instalments are 99c and my revenue on Amazon is only $0.34 per sale while it is $1.30+ for borrows. I have 7 novellas in a series in KDPS.

My bestselling series is completely out of KDPS as of January 2015 and sales are starting to pick up on other retailers. I just enrolled the series in Google Play and will see how I do there. My other series which doesn't sell nearly as well is now almost completely out and I just put it on other retailers a few days ago. Haven't made a sale yet but it is not live at all retailers yet.

I put the first book in my bestselling series free and Amazon price-matched it. I have put the first book in the lower selling series free but it hasn't gone live yet on the other retailers. Will see if having a permafree first book helps this series as it has really languished in terms of sales and revenues.

Permafree for the first book in the bestselling series is working OK for me but not as well as I hoped. It has been three weeks since I put my book permafree and while I have had 15,000+ free downloads, the increase in sales on the other books in the series has not significantly increased my revenues and the downloads per day has declined. I make more now than when I was in KU or when I had a 99c sale on the first book, but not enough for me to break out the dancing shoes. Maybe my expectations were too high. :(

So I am glad I am going into wide distribution as KU was no longer working for me and my revenues declined. I have not had enough time wide to know if going wide will make up the difference.
    « Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:01:43 am by Sela »
    The Author Formerly Known As Sela

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 08:12:34 am »
    That's a great start, Elizabeth!

I've posted this before, and it bears repeating: other platforms take patience and time. When I got on those other platforms, I don't think that I did as well as you, Elizabeth. Now, Amazon is around 43% of my income, and shrinking all the time. On my recent BB promo, iBooks surpassed Amazon's sales.

Here are my .02 on this thread, which I love that you have started:

1) Go direct, and do it in the beginning. I've learned my lesson on that. When I first started, I was looking for a shortcut, so I uploaded through SW and D2D. Then I started making money on those platforms, calculated how much I was losing to the aggregator, and decided to pull my books from the aggregators and upload direct. When I did so, I lost every.single.one.of.my.reviews. That hurt, let me tell you.

What are the advantages of going direct, besides the obvious (the 10% haircut you get by going through an aggregator)? There are three major benefits. One, you can get on the radar of the company faster than if you have an aggregator, and you can participate in that platform's promotions. Two, you can customize your links. That's a big one for me, personally. Three, if you go direct from the get-go, you don't have to worry about 150 reviews and ratings disappearing overnight (that's what happened to me). 

2) Still upload to D2D, though, because Scribd is unpredictable. Scribd, I admit, was always an after-thought for me. But, for some really odd reason, I have actually started making money there. I made over $300 there in January, and over $250 in February. I think that I made over $200 there in December, too. Have no idea why, but I can only say that I'm glad that I kept my books over there.

3) Google Play is a slow-burner. I was there for over a year, seeing nothing but coffee money coming in for several months. One month I made $24,500 on all platforms. That same month, I made around $50 on Google Play, LOL. But it started to rise, little by little. This past month, I broke $1,000 there. That's one of those platforms that nothing seems to affect. You just have to have infinite patience, and remember to put your key words into the description. I put mine as a string at the end of my blurb, which looks tacky, no doubt, but there's no other way.

Those are my takeaways, FWIW. Other platforms can be a REAL boon. I've read other posters on KBoards say that Amazon is becoming a shrinking part of their income, so I'm not the only one making going wide work. But one thing that I would advise against would be to put your books on other platforms, and pull them in a few months because you aren't seeing action. It takes time.

Also, I would advise finding out what genres do well on these other platforms. It is true that everything is genre specific, and romance, which I write, does tend to do well on all platforms. Some genres might do better in Select than in going wide. I would do your homework before making the leap.

I wish everyone here luck with going wide! It's worth it, trust me! :)

Two dollars! Two dollars! I want my two dollars!!!
    Annie Jocoby | Annie Jocoby website

• San Antonio, TX
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 08:15:51 am »
    Here is the page I designed for the back of all of my books. It's not perfect, but it works. Eventually, I'd like to fix a few issues and make a separate page per device, but right now that isn't high on the priority list as I have a novel I HAVE to put out next month.

http://www.elizabethannwest.com/roseroom/catalog.html

My design was based on the fact that most readers coming from just finishing my book aren't going to want to sift through pages and pages of my books to find the buy button for THAT book on another vendor. So this brings them to a page where all of my books are advertised with images that slide, and they can just click the button for the place they like to buy books best, or see places they may not have considered. Also, this means I NEVER have to updat links, I ONLY have to add a new image advertiser to the image slideshow when a new book comes out.

Offline D-C

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Author website
    « Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 08:45:08 am »
    Heres mine:

At the end of Jan and into early Feb my UF series (was x3 novels, is now x4 novels) rolled out of KU & KDPS.

Prior to this Id been exclusive to Amazon for just over a year (and been publishing for a year). My first in the series was priced on average, at $3.99.  I released a new novel on average every 3-4 months (priced at $4.99). I utilised KDPS countdown deals and ran 99c promos every couple of months. BookBub have yet to accept me, after submitting every month. (Im wary of putting figures here, but I will say my first in the series sat happily in the 5k rankings for several months in the summer of last year).
    When I left KDPS I had 3 full length novels already published and was about to release the fourth. December 14 and January 15 were my slowest months on Amazon since publishing in Feb 14 (with my Bk 1 ranking dropping to around 15k-20k). The second week in Feb, I left KDPS, and used D2D to distribute to Apple, Nook, Tolino, Scribd, PageFoundry. I went direct to Kobo. I also set my first book to permafree (I was very hesitant to do this. Nobody likes to give their work away for free, and as it had been doing well as paid, I dragged my feet).

For the first few days; very little happened. I may have panicked a little.

Thankfully, Id scheduled a few promo sites to kick start things: I Love Vampire Novels - ILVN, BKnights, & Freebooksy.

I tracked those promos on Amazon but dont have the daily data from D2D (Ive not figured out how to do that yet):

Freebooksy netted me nearly 1500 downloads.
    Bknights was the next day at over 700 copies, and 600 the following day.
    ILVN netted me over 800 free downloads.
    Fussy Librarian 100 (above the daily average)

The result three weeks on:

Free:
    In three weeks, Ive given away over 10k copies of book 1. This still scares the pants off me. 

Paid:

Buy-through rate across all vendors (those that download the free book and go on to purchase book 2): 10% (When bk 1 was paid, I had an average buy-through of around 70%)

Apple is my second biggest seller, and equates to 30% of my paid sales. Ive no idea why my series took off in the few weeks its been there, but I suspect it had something to do with setting the first book free. For some reason, the series has done exceptionally well in the UK store, with the second in the series being in the paid fantasy bestsellers list next to the likes of George R R Martin. The first book sat at the top of the free fantasy list for almost a week.

My Amazon sales have rebounded, and my Amazon income is back up to pre-KU levels helped by publishing two further novels since KU hit.

Nook sees marginal sales at about 4%.

I havent shifted anything on the other vendors. Kobo is as dead as the dodo.

I no longer worry about what Amazon will pay me out of the magic pot each month, and I have diversity, should something go screwy at Amazon. I have a novella, that Ive left in KU, because it seems silly to remove a 99c novella, when Amazon pay me over $1 per borrow (I give it away free for my subscribers anyway. This is the kind of daft thinking that drove me nuts while I had my novels in KU).

Im now looking into going direct with Apple, so I can take advantage of the visibility there.

What works for me, may not work for you. I write in a popular genre. I have x4 novels out. Ive just set the first to free. All these variables will affect an authors income.

Offline Cactus Lady

• Arizona
      • View Profile
      • Welcome To My Worlds
    « Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 09:00:51 am »
    Here is the page I designed for the back of all of my books. It's not perfect, but it works. Eventually, I'd like to fix a few issues and make a separate page per device, but right now that isn't high on the priority list as I have a novel I HAVE to put out next month.

My design was based on the fact that most readers coming from just finishing my book aren't going to want to sift through pages and pages of my books to find the buy button for THAT book on another vendor. So this brings them to a page where all of my books are advertised with images that slide, and they can just click the button for the place they like to buy books best, or see places they may not have considered. Also, this means I NEVER have to updat links, I ONLY have to add a new image advertiser to the image slideshow when a new book comes out.

Wow, that's another great idea! thanks  :D
    Tales of Fantasy, Heroism, and Romance
    Genres: Epic Romantic Fantasy, Fantasy-western
    http://www.kyrahalland.com

Offline jillb

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 10:04:16 am »
    I'm pretty new to this but here's my journey so far.

All my books were/are first released into Select. KU was already in place when I started. My 1st book was published in mid-Oct '14.
    I was so inspired by this book that I went on to write and publish another 5 books between Oct and early Dec. The last book from my 1st round of releases will drop out of KU tomorrow.

My first 4 books weren't doing well either in terms of sales or in terms of borrows, so I didn't feel nervous about going wide with them. My 1st book fell out of KU in mid Jan but I it was a slow and steep learning curve, so my book didn't quite go wide until early Feb. I'm going to break it down by book since my books span different genres within my niche:

Book #1 (chicken keeping): Dec and Jan both got 1 borrow. Going wide - 1 sale on iTunes. Since it's priced at $3.99, I'm doing better wide so far
    eBay #1: 4 borrows in Dec, 7 borrows in Jan., 1 borrow in Feb. Going wide - 1 sale on iTunes (making less going wide but it was sold within 2 weeks)
    ebay book #2: 4 borrows in Dec. no sales/borrows in Jan. Sold 2 on iTunes (price is $5.99)
    ebay book #3: 2 borrows in Jan. 0 sales on other vendors

Foraging was my biggest seller on amazon and was gaining traction so I was more nervous going wide.
    27 borrows in Dec
    47 borrows in Jan
    42 borrows in Feb (2 weeks)
    Going wide: 2 sales @$3.99 on itunes (in 2 weeks)

I'm playing with pricing and promos on the foraging book right now so my numbers will be skewed this month.
    I use D2D for Inktera, iTunes, Scribd., Tolino and sometimes Kobo (if I have problems uploading that title).
    I tried uploading to Scribd myself but it didn't process properly. I then found out that you couldn't use the borrow function if you upload directly.
    I upload directly onto kobo, Nook and GP.
    So far, I have no sales on any venue other than iTunes. I'm quite hopeful with the iTunes sales so far - 6 sales across 5 books within 2 weeks.

I have all my books with links to all platforms listed on my site http://byjillb.com I have buttons to my author page on each of the platforms on my site footer. I also used affiliate links to each vendor leading to each specific book.
    I used to include amazon links to my other books in my books. However, to make things easier for me when I go wide, I now direct readers to my website for links to my books.

Looking at OP's site, I'm wondering if I should just make giant buttons to each platform on the homepage? It might be more intuitive than having the buttons in the footer?

Author Site | Chicken Armor
    ~ Self-Reliance -- One Step at a Time ~
    Homesteading Primer: 90%

Beyond Cheap -- Narrowing Your Homestead
    Property Search for Self-Sufficient Living: 100%

Making Money on the Homestead: 5%
    by Jill b. |

Offline John Ellsworth

• Southern California
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 11:52:13 am »

This is great stuff and beautifully done page. I'm marking for when I go wide.  Thanks EAW!

Offline GoneToWriterSanctum

• Run away from this site as if your hair is on fire and your ass is catching...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 12:39:06 pm »
    I do not accept VerticalScope's Terms Of Service on Kboards, and have asked for my account to be deleted, along with all of my posts.

If you are here as a result of a Google search, leave now.  The owners of this site are interested only in your possible ad revenue.
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 06:55:33 am by Writer-Fueled Dreams »
    I did not & do not agree to the new TOS that I had no chance to agree to or deny.
    I've requested removal to Admin 18th Sept 2018 & by email to [email protected] 19th Sept 2018

• San Antonio, TX
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 12:56:49 pm »
    That's  great! My only suggestion would be since the books don't click, to put the buttons top and bottom, and maybe consider down the road some way to visually differentiate them.

Putting them top and bottom is because on my screen, I couldn't see it all, and when the books didn't click, I didn't know what else to do. If the buy buttons were at the top too, then I could click right away to the vendor I want, or browse your books, and click on the vendor I want at the bottom.

Alternatively, perhaps you could make the list of vendors a vertical menu in the sidebar with your books in the middle.

I hope I am not offending! It took me ages and headaches to make a design that worked on multiple screens, with lots of readers telling me this didn't work or that didn't work. :)

Offline Herc- The Reluctant Geek

• Australia
      • View Profile
      • The Reluctant Geek
    « Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 01:01:46 pm »
    Is the new title better? If not, tell me title you want. :)

Definitely better  ;)

In my defense, it was 1 am here in the land of Oz and I had been playing a computer game for 12 hrs without a break. Things were a bit virtual when I dropped by the boards.

• Run away from this site as if your hair is on fire and your ass is catching...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 01:51:24 pm »
    I do not accept VerticalScope's Terms Of Service on Kboards, and have asked for my account to be deleted, along with all of my posts.

If you are here as a result of a Google search, leave now.  The owners of this site are interested only in your possible ad revenue.
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 06:55:52 am by Writer-Fueled Dreams »
    I did not & do not agree to the new TOS that I had no chance to agree to or deny.
    I've requested removal to Admin 18th Sept 2018 & by email to [email protected] 19th Sept 2018

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 02:48:39 pm »

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 06:56:09 am by Writer-Fueled Dreams »

• San Antonio, TX
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 02:52:07 pm »
    PERFECT!!! Seeing the buttons works!

Offline Marian

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 09:00:25 pm »
    That's  great! My only suggestion would be since the books don't click, to put the buttons top and bottom, and maybe consider down the road some way to visually differentiate them.

Putting them top and bottom is because on my screen, I couldn't see it all, and when the books didn't click, I didn't know what else to do. If the buy buttons were at the top too, then I could click right away to the vendor I want, or browse your books, and click on the vendor I want at the bottom.

Alternatively, perhaps you could make the list of vendors a vertical menu in the sidebar with your books in the middle.

I hope I am not offending! It took me ages and headaches to make a design that worked on multiple screens, with lots of readers telling me this didn't work or that didn't work. :)

Great idea!!! Thank you for sharing.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement