Kindle Forum banner

How to insert a picture into your post!

100K views 176 replies 87 participants last post by  NogDog 
G
#1 ·
First, you need to upload your picture to somewhere where our forum can access it.

You can do this on your own webserver if you wish, but the better method is to use a photo-sharing service like Photobucket (www.photobucket.com) or Flickr (www.flickr.com).

Just create a free account on one of those sites, and upload your picture there.

Once it's uploaded, you can insert it into your post by clicking the "insert image" icon in the post's "Add BBC tags" section, and then entering the URL of your uploaded Photobucket picture in between the img and /img tags.

Or even easier, you can use the "IMG code" that photobucket provides, and copy/paste that into your post.

Click "preview" to verify that your picture has been included properly in your post.

It's easy - - give it a try!

---------------

Note: if you have a large picture, you can resize it in Photobucket - as it will then load faster in this forum.

To do that:
- Upload the picture to Photobucket
- From the menu bar, select "Edit Images", then "Resize"
- Click on a photo to resize
- Change the width of the picture. (Hint: a good width for viewing in the forums is 800 pixels.)
- Click on "Apply" to apply the change
- Then scroll to the bottom of the screen and click on the 'Save a Copy' button or the 'Replace Original' button.

At that point, the changed picture will appear in your album, and you can use the "IMG" code to copy/paste into your posts here.

See less See more
#3 ·
Betsy - thanks for the picassa tip - I was hesitant to join another location just to post pics, but being able to use what I already have is great. 

G
#4 ·
If you want to use an image from some other location on the internet, you can just copy the url and past it in your message.

Then highlight it with the mouse by right clicking and draging the cursor over the picture's url.

Then click on the 'insert image button. It adds the {img][/img} to the front and back of the url so the picture you are using will show up.

You can also type the codes on your own if you want. I used the {} brackets so my example would show up. Normally it's the [] brackets.

G
#6 ·
Vampyre said:
If you want to use an image from some other location on the internet, you can just copy the url and past it in your message.

Then highlight it with the mouse by right clicking and draging the cursor over the picture's url.

Then click on the 'insert image button. It adds the {img][/img} to the front and back of the url so the picture you are using will show up.

You can also type the codes on your own if you want. I used the {} brackets so my example would show up. Normally it's the [] brackets.
Of course, "hotlinking" like this is evil, as it leeches bandwidth from the other website. And in order to prevent this, many sites disable the function, so your picture won't show up at all. YOU will see your picture because it is cached in your Temporary Internet Files, but everybody else will just see a red X or a message from Tripod asking you not to hotlink or something like that.

Thus the recommendation from the Admin team that you upload the image to Photobucket first, then use THAT URL to post your pic. :)

#13 ·

testing

#15 ·
pidgeon92 said:
You're missing the opening bracket. Should be [/color].
[/quote]
Thanks, I had not had time to try and figure out what I had done wrong>

#16 ·
Well, I have a beautiful picture of my cat on Flickr, but I've tried every link on there, and when I paste it in here, nothing shows but text!! grrr
I even tried the little button up there, and put the link between them, but NOTHING.
I'll work on this again in the am.

#17 ·
theresa57 said:
Well, I have a beautiful picture of my cat on Flickr, but I've tried every link on there, and when I paste it in here, nothing shows but text!! grrr
I even tried the little button up there, and put the link between them, but NOTHING.
I'll work on this again in the am.
Where have you pasted?

Chances are you are not picking up the correct link.

-- If you are using Firefox, it is very easy: right-click on any picture and choose Copy Image Location.

-- If you are using Internet Explorer, right-click on any picture and choose Properties, then you must choose and copy the entire Address, which may take up several lines which you cannot see. It is imperative that you choose the entire Address, or your picture will not appear.

You can verify that you have chosen the correct image address by pasting it into your browser's URL box, as you would with any URL. Your picture should be the only thing you see on the resulting web page.

#23 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.  I am glad I asked.  I am impressed with the KindleBoards software.  It pulls things together (often a lot of pics) quickly.

One other picture question.  I uploaded a personal picture as an avatar.  Is that stored on KindleBoards?  If so, great.  If not, I will probably change the picture back to something "stock" since I really don't want to invite your board software to hit my local hard drive each time my avatar is displayed.

#26 ·
I've noticed that when some people (Harvey) do a quote with a picture, he resizes it so the quote is not as large as the original.  I like this practice because sometimes it's good to have the picture included for reference but repeating the same large picture over and over again certainly isn't needed.

But how do you do it?  How do you resize the picture in the quote? 

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.