Author Topic: Paying for Amazon Cloud  (Read 2050 times)  

Offline Toby

• MA
    • View Profile
Paying for Amazon Cloud
« on: March 26, 2015, 05:35:17 pm »
Did anyone else get an email from Amazon saying that you can pay for photo storage, & if you want to pay more money per year, for all cloud storage of things like music, doc's, etc. If you have Prime, you already have photo storage?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    Re: Paying for Amazon Cloud
    « Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 05:41:49 pm »
    I haven't received an email yet, but I suspect this is what you're talking about:

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/26/amazon-goes-after-dropbox-google-microsoft-with-unlimited-cloud-drive-storage/
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 05:31:11 am »
    This is what I got today:

=====================================================================
    AMAZON CLOUD DRIVE
    =====================================================================

Amazon Cloud Drive is introducing new unlimited storage plans. The new Cloud Drive Unlimited Storage plans replace existing GB-based storage plans. As a result, your current plan, which includes both Amazon Music and Cloud Drive storage, will no longer be available after the end of your current subscription.

As part of this transition, you can now manage your Cloud Drive and Amazon Music subscription plans separately:

a) Your current Cloud Drive plan storage will continue through the balance of your subscription, or you can upgrade to a free 3-month trial of Unlimited Storage at any time:
    Manage your Cloud Drive account at www.amazon.com/gp/photos/storage
    b) Your current Amazon Music subscription plan will continue through your expiration date and, if you've chosen to auto-renew, you will be charged at the current price plan of $24.99 annually.
    Manage your Music plan at www.amazon.com/gp/css/homepage.html

Thanks for using Cloud Drive and Amazon Music.

I got in on the early plan so I could keep all my music at Amazon.  Now I need to go read again to figure out what I want to do...

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 05:46:19 am »
    Andra, are you Prime?
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 08:28:45 am »
    Andra, are you Prime?

When I purchased the storage plan for "Cloud Player," I was not.  DH had the Prime account so I got some of the benefits, but not all of them.  I have a LOT of music and was trying to find a place to safely keep all of it.
    I got my own prime account this year.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 10:49:42 am »
    I'm just wondering if the Prime free storage benefit is going to change. Not that I'm any where NEAR my limit. ;)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline SeymourKopath

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 03:47:01 pm »
    I have a LOT of music and was trying to find a place to safely keep all of it.
    Google Play Music allows anyone to upload and store 50,000 songs for free. Check it out.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 03:58:55 pm »
    I am mad. I pay for the $24.99 so I can keep all my music in one place. Its great now with the Echo.

I also needed some cloud storage for computer files and such things. So I have the $10 a year for 20 gig plan from Amazon. Now that is gone and I am forced to pay $59.99. I don't really need unlimited, but I need more than 5 gig.

I didn't get the paid dropbox plan since they don't have a smaller one either. Theirs is like $9.99 a month for a gazillian gigs. It leaves me out in the cold and now my yearly cost for cloud storage is going up $50. I am not happy. I also use send to kindle a lot so other places are not an option as I need the storage on Amazon.

Why does nobody cater anymore to those that need small to medium size storage.  :(

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
    • 'just enough clouds to create a beautiful sunset
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 04:24:23 pm »
    I am mad. I pay for the $24.99 so I can keep all my music in one place. Its great now with the Echo.

I also needed some cloud storage for computer files and such things. So I have the $10 a year for 20 gig plan from Amazon. Now that is gone and I am forced to pay $59.99. I don't really need unlimited, but I need more than 5 gig.

I didn't get the paid dropbox plan since they don't have a smaller one either. Theirs is like $9.99 a month for a gazillian gigs. It leaves me out in the cold and now my yearly cost for cloud storage is going up $50. I am not happy. I also use send to kindle a lot so other places are not an option as I need the storage on Amazon.

Why does nobody cater anymore to those that need small to medium size storage.  :(
    I am in the same place as you, Atunah. Don't mind too much paying for the music storage, I have about 20,000 songs that I uploaded so that seems mostly fair, but I do not need unlimited storage for pics and other files and don't like that there will be no smaller storage choice come August.
    A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
    Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the
    engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair. Annie Dillard

Located just outside Little Rock, Arkansas

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 04:35:04 pm »
    I am in the same place as you, Atunah. Don't mind too much paying for the music storage, I have about 20,000 songs that I uploaded so that seems mostly fair, but I do not need unlimited storage for pics and other files and don't like that there will be no smaller storage choice come August.
    Agree, the music cloud I don't mind as much. Its also nice to have it all in one place and now Alexa can play it all. You are the first other person so far I have seen here or on other sites that paid for a smaller plan. 5 gig are not enough and so the 20 gig was just right for me. Mine turns into the trial in July when my 20 gig will run out.

I'm just wondering if the Prime free storage benefit is going to change. Not that I'm any where NEAR my limit. ;)
    In my cloud account page it says that unlimited photo storage plus 5 gigs for files and videos is free for prime members.
    It also lists it as free for Fire devices. Same photo unlimited and 5 gigs.

Anyone can go and see what plan they have in the cloud manage thingy. If you have prime, it should be listed there. And the other options.

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 06:15:32 pm »
    I'm totally confused. I checked mine out. The link on my email for my cloud drive. The graph shows (I think) that I have 10 GB available (Is that possible?) & that I have used 5.8 MB for non-photo stuff. I think that what the graphs mean. It said I had 11 files, 0 videos under videos/files. Maybe I'm just tired but I find the graphs confusing. How much space/storage do I have left? That's what I don't know & wished that Amazon would state this clearly. I have Prime. I then clicked on more links which said if you go over the limit, Amazon will email you so you can delete stuff. If you don't delete some of your stuff & it's over a month, then Amazon will get rid of All of your stuff if you don't delete or upgrade.
    « Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:42:03 pm by Toby »

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 07:51:52 pm »
    Google Play Music allows anyone to upload and store 50,000 songs for free. Check it out.

Since going to an Android phone, I keep a lot in Google's cloud as well. Their player is less obnoxious on my phone.

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 08:06:04 pm »
    That's a good point about google cloud storage. What android phone do you have?
    I guess I have enough storage for now, I hope.
    Someone had mentioned to me that he heard, but is not sure if it's true, that if you don't have Prime, then Amazon won't store your personal doc's in the cloud. I never heard of this. Does anyone here know?

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 03:35:28 am »
    That's a good point about google cloud storage. What android phone do you have?
    I guess I have enough storage for now, I hope.
    Someone had mentioned to me that he heard, but is not sure if it's true, that if you don't have Prime, then Amazon won't store your personal doc's in the cloud. I never heard of this. Does anyone here know?

I just read in the "I Love My Kindle" blog (ilmk.wordpress.com) that if you're a Prime member or Fire owner, the change is minor. You still get unlimited photo storage and unlimited kindle personal document storage. You also get 5 GB of other storage.  If you are neither a Prime member nor a Fire owner, however, you will NOT get free storage of anything except kindle personal documents.*

He didn't actually address movies or music . . . . . I assume something you get NOT from Amazon would count against that 5 GB. It doesn't make sense to me that Amazon would count stuff you buy from them against it, however . . . . they don't want to curtail your spending on their video/music store because you're running out of space.

He also didn't address pricing changes.

My guess: the change is to get people to go onto Prime or buy a Fire if they haven't AND have been using the previously available cloud storage for personal documents.

Honestly . . . . I think most folks are probably already using Dropbox, or Google Drive, or Microsofts One Drive (formerly Sky drive) for that sort of thing.

*to clarify: kindle personal documents are things you send to your kindle wirelessly. Amazon stores those free -- unlimited.  But without Prime or owning a Fire, you can no longer upload and store for free documents otherwise. And, of course, some docs can't be sent to kindle, like spreadsheets.
    « Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 03:38:02 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline cinisajoy

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 07:22:45 am »
    Ann,
    From what I read at Amazon,  stuff you buy from Amazon doesn't count in your storage.   Only your personal stuff counts.   
    FWIW, if you want to store your music at Amazon make sure it is mp3 not wav or wma.
    https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,216185.msg3013849.html#new

Please help our friend and fellow kboarder Craig Hansen.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement