Author Topic: The Electric Shaman - near-future detective novel - SPECIAL OFFER  (Read 2903 times)  

Offline Tony Richards

• "Richards is a master" RT Book Reviews f/sf column
    • View Profile
    • Tony Richards -- Dark Fantasy Author

In the not too distant future, the Dark Continent has changed. It's become Federal Africa, with all of the old countries now united into one great nation. The separate tribes are gone, technology has boomed ... it is a very modern place.

But if you think that it's completely changed, meet Lieutenant Abel Enetame of the Zimbabwe State Police Force, a single father with a great deal on his plate. He doesn't only have the usual crimes to deal with, murders, assassinations, kidnappings. There are violent Black Supremacists. There are fanatics like the Tribalists, who want to take the whole place back to the old days. And there are egotistic billionaires and power-crazy politicians.

And when those kinds of people start getting their hands on brand-new devices that can do startling things, like change the past, for instance ... well, that's when the sparks really start to fly. Because the future of the whole of modern Africa might well rely on one police detective.

Some parts of this novel were first published in Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine.

Here's the Universal Link for The Electric Shaman.

Tony Richards was born just outside London, England. Widely traveled, he often sets his fiction in locations he has visited. Novels of his are currently available from HarperCollins, Samhain, and Pocket Books, with crime fiction available from Telos, and his shorter work has appeared in F&SF, Weird Tales, Asimov's SF, Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, and a number of anthologies including Best New Horror. His work has been shortlisted for both the HWA Bram Stoker and the British Fantasy awards. When not writing, he likes to cook, fish, practice t'ai chi, and imagine a world where very bad people have a change of heart and take up cooking, fishing, and t'ai chi too.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 06:08:34 PM by Tony Richards »
My new crime novel THE TRIBE is now out from Cemetery Dance Publications. And there are now 6 Novels in my Raine's Landing supernatural thriller series, with a seventh on the way.

Here's the complete list of my eBooks on Kindle, some self-published, others from the likes of Eos/HarperCollins and CD Publications.      VISIT MY WEBSITE.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: The Electric Shaman ... near-future detective fiction, set in Africa.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 06:29:15 AM »
Welcome again to the Book Bazaar and congratulations on your new book!

KBoards is a Kindle fan and reader forum.  As you browse KBoards, keep in mind that self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed in the Book Bazaar. (You've posted your book thread in the right place; this is just our standard welcome that we place in all book threads. :)

A brief recap of our rules follows:

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function OR our KBoards bookmark system*) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information.  You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice). 

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days.  Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then. You may modify the latest post to reflect new information.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link.  Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KBoards as time allows.  This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles! Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts outside the Book Bazaar constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post.  For information on more ways to promote here on KBoards, be sure to check out this thread: Authors: KBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,36.0.html.  Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Thanks for being part of KBoards!  Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators 

*When viewing a thread, you'll see an 'add Bookmark' button near the Reply button. You can use that to add the thread to your bookmarks.   To see your bookmarked threads at any time, click the 'Bookmarks' button in the forum header links.
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
Re: The Electric Shaman ... near-future detective fiction, set in Africa.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 06:10:58 AM »
Thanks, guys!

The first section of this book was inspired by a long trip to Zimbabwe in the early Nineties, back when it was much safer to go there. I still came within a whisker of being robbed a couple of times, but managed to have a fascinating time, starting in the capital, Harare, driving to a nearby game reserve and across the Mvurwi Mountains to the Chinhoyi Caves. I went to Victoria Falls too. I stayed at the Hwange Game Reserve on the edge of the Kalahari Desert. I even managed to get a boat trip down the Zambezi River. And when I arrived home, I eventually put it all into a longish story set in the near future.
I started sending it to all the usual sf mags and, to my intense disappointment, none of them were interested. This process went on for a good couple of years. And I was just about to give up, put this story in a drawer, when it occurred to me that it wasn't merely science fiction, but a mystery tale too. I'd already sold several straight mysteries to Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, and so I thought 'what do I have to lose?' A kind of Hail Mary pass of a submission, if you like.
And to my absolute astonishment, editor Linda Landrigan snapped 'The Very Edge of New Harare' up, and was very complimentary about it. And that inspired me to write a number of other tales with the same setting and central character, all of them joining up to form a book-length piece of fiction.
My huge thanks to Linda, to her assistant Jackie Sherbow, Carol Demont, and everybody else at Dell Publications. Polite and helpful to a fault, they are a true pleasure to work with, and this book is dedicated to them.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:46:07 PM by Tony Richards »
My new crime novel THE TRIBE is now out from Cemetery Dance Publications. And there are now 6 Novels in my Raine's Landing supernatural thriller series, with a seventh on the way.

Here's the complete list of my eBooks on Kindle, some self-published, others from the likes of Eos/HarperCollins and CD Publications.      VISIT MY WEBSITE.

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
Here's another look at this new novel.

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
Re: The Electric Shaman ... near-future detective fiction.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 06:57:27 PM »
The great cover is by M. Wayne Miller.

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
This novel is free until Sunday midnight. Grab a copy while you still can.

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
It's no longer free, but still worth a look.

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
Re: The Electric Shaman ... near-future detective fiction
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 09:31:44 AM »
There's new fiction of mine appearing on Kindle all the time, in a variety of genres. Horror, dark fantasy, detective, superhero, sf, and fusion fiction.

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
Re: The Electric Shaman ... near-future detective fiction
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 02:41:17 PM »
More fiction is on the way this month.

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
Re: The Electric Shaman ... near-future detective fiction, SALE
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 05:15:55 AM »
And this book is now available for $1.90.

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
Re: The Electric Shaman ... near-future detective fiction, 99c SALE
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 10:09:58 AM »
All of my self-published eBooks are currently on sale at the minimum price of 99c (plus any fees), including 3 full-length novels and a huge collection of stories. This applies not just to Kindle, but to other formats.

Find out more here.

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 06:23:22 PM »
And that sale is still on. Don't be dumb ... give it a look.

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 12:32:42 PM »
But it won't be lasting too much longer.

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 11:12:48 AM »
I've let the sale go on a few more days. But it is practically at an end.

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
Re: The Electric Shaman ... near-future detective novel - 99c
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 06:32:15 PM »
The sale is over, but none of my self-published eBooks are priced above $2.99 (plus fees) and many of them are available for the minimum price. Including this one.

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 12:49:25 PM »
This book is available at minimum price until further notice.

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 07:30:32 PM »
No further notice yet. You're good.

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 03:15:05 PM »
And there's new fiction on the way to Kindle soon, including a novel.

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2015, 03:35:55 AM »
Happy holidays, y'all!

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2016, 11:52:28 AM »
Have a great 2016, everyone!

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 08:34:13 PM »
May all you dreams come true!

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2016, 10:51:22 AM »
The year's already started well for me.

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 06:24:01 PM »
More publishing news coming soon.

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 03:48:48 AM »
Meanwhile, there's this short novel.

Offline Tony Richards

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 08:53:40 PM »
Serialazed in 4 parts in AHMM.