Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1810665 times)  

Offline AnitaLouise

• View Profile
    • The Adlers ~ Where Love & Romance Sizzle
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #18050 on: May 21, 2017, 05:19:19 AM »
Anybody else finding it difficult to concentrate on writing the next book while your campaign is in progress? Seven days left. Then more waiting...
I find it practically impossible. KS becomes my obsessive focus. Even though I don't really expect to be selected (since my submission is a middle book in a series), and I don't spend actual money promoting my KS book, I do spend my precious time. This is my 2nd book in Scout program & 1st one had a much better launch with KS than previous books without. Additional exposure that costs me nothing but time is well worth it to me. Wish I would have known about it from the beginning.

Anita Louise | blog | twitter | facebook

Offline BillyDeCarlo

• View Profile
    • Billy DeCarlo, Author
« Reply #18051 on: May 21, 2017, 05:20:47 AM »
Does anyone know how hard and fast the minimum word count of 50,000 is?
For instance, would 48,000 be acceptable?!

I emailed them and was told 46k minimum. Sounds like you are good with 48k. I'd caution anyone against padding to make that though, as it would water down the book quality of course.

I just nominated from Steve's list using my open slot. I'm in the waiting room, now spending my time thinking about ways I could have made my book better. I think this is yet another advantage to going through the KS process, even if you don't get selected.

Thanks again for everyone who supported my campaign and all of the knowledge sharing here. I'm busy working on my second book, and hope to submit it.
SPED-BOT, DroidMesh Book I: 95%

LOVE-BOT, DroidMesh Book II: 0%

DEATH-BOT, DroidMesh Book III: 0%
Vigilante Angels Series Books I, II, III, boxed set all available WIDE!
Billy DeCarlo | Website/blog | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Amazon | BookBub | Goodreads | LibraryThing | Pronoun | Patreon

Offline J.G. McKenney

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
    • J.G. McKenney
« Reply #18052 on: May 21, 2017, 06:03:37 AM »
Just filled my last open slot with City Under Ice. Good luck!

J.G. McKenney | website

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #18053 on: May 21, 2017, 06:36:06 AM »
Great point Bill as I'm still hanging around.  It was mildly disappointing but the 'knowledge' trade from being in this thread has more than compensated for it.  i am about to publish the 'reject' and interested in how KS impacts the launch!
Ciao Dan
Good luck with that launch! I know a lot of us are waiting to grab the book.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #18054 on: May 21, 2017, 06:39:21 AM »
I'm in the waiting room, now spending my time thinking about ways I could have made my book better. I think this is yet another advantage to going through the KS process, even if you don't get selected.
Interesting that you'd say that. A number of people have commented on KS as a focusing experience. They thought more about their books and/or launch strategies than they felt they would have otherwise. I know that was my experience.

The funny part was that I really could have made my book better. When I was prepping for launch, I reread and found several minor errors that I could easily fix. I guess I should have done one more reading before submitting to KS.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline John Greco

• View Profile
« Reply #18055 on: May 21, 2017, 07:14:22 AM »
Well, I've had two Kindle Scout campaigns. My first campaign (A Blurt in Time) failed abysmally. My second campaign (Kelpie Dreams) succeeded. So I've seen both sides of this fence.

I definitely still do plan to launch a third campaign, probably by the fall.

That's all that I will say right now - BUT, if you want to hear from folks whose campaigns didn't work you really ought to take a look at this thread!
https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Ah . . . Now I see that thread. Cool. Thanks!

Offline Dan Petrosini author

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #18056 on: May 21, 2017, 08:54:32 AM »
Hello All,
Before pulling the trigger and putting The Final Enemy into KDP, was looking for confirmation or other approaches to pricing.  Was going to put up for a period, 2 weeks?, at .99 cents before going to 2.99 to 'thank' nominators even though my thank you letter makes no reference to that gesture.

Any feedback..Thanks a bunch Dan

My work in progress: 40%
Dan Petrosini | blog

Offline Michael Sussman

• Cambridge, MA
    • View Profile
    • MichaelSussmanBooks.com
« Reply #18057 on: May 21, 2017, 09:25:12 AM »
Thanks, Jennifer. I didn't expect to be picked. Now I'm curious to see if the next book the Scout Experts choose is another romance novel. Six out of seven books they've chosen so far this month are romance novels.

All the best to you and all the wonderful people here on Kboards,

Cindy

Sorry for the news, Cindy. I too am surprised that your novel wasn't selected. Do you plan to self-publish?

Michael Sussman | MichaelSussmanBooks.com

Offline Jill James

• Biggest Little City in the World
    • View Profile
    • Jill James, romance writer
« Reply #18058 on: May 21, 2017, 10:02:11 AM »
Nominated City Under Ice. Good luck!!
Ghostly Intentions: 100%

Ghostly Deceptions: 6%
Kindle Scout - Ghostly Intentions - https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/D4UWV0OHU0HZ
Jill James | blog | website | Facebook | Twitter | newsletter

Offline Patricia KC

• View Profile
« Reply #18059 on: May 21, 2017, 10:03:02 AM »
Last week, I broke my personal "don't pay for promotion" rule and paid a whopping $5 to have my current campaign in Jaxon Reed's Readper newsletter. The listing ran yesterday. I promised to let you know how it went.

Very well, thank you! Ghosts has, as I write this, been in H&T since the first update after the newsletter went out.

The listing ran on day 15 of the campaign. On day 14, Ghosts was already ahead of where the The Ceiling Man was at that point. It's now passed TCM's final stats. (I've done very little promo of any kind for Ghosts, so the big difference is the internal/external break down. Ghost's page views have been heavily internal. TCM's were external. Yesterday added viewers to the external side.)

I'd call it a success and more than worth the $5. Since I know that page views and H&T hours are not the be-all and end-all for selection, I'm going into set-it and almost-forget-it mode for the rest of the thirty days. "Almost" because if I see an opportunity (free) for promo, I'll take it.

I'm quoting both my post and Steve's post below for info on the Readper newsletter. It only goes out on Saturdays, so if you want to use it you'll need to plan ahead.

p.s. Cold Ground Ginger by Robert Burton Robinson was also in yesterday's newsletter and is also H&T!

I broke my personal "don't pay for promotion" rule, and Ghosts in Glass Houses will be in this Saturday's Readper newsletter. Why?

1. It's only $5.00.
2. Jaxon promoted The Ceiling Man, shortly after release, on readper.com for free.
3. Jaxon's a good guy and supportive of both Scout campaigners and those selected. (He's also an experienced Scouter, with two books selected and published in his Empathic Detective series.)
4. Did I mention, it's only $5?

I'll let you all know how it goes!

Listen, all of you folks looking for a little promotion for your Kindle Scout campaign ought to check out kboarder and Kindle Scout veteran Jaxon Reed's new readper program.Once a week in his newsletter for only $5 he supports a Kindle Scout campaign. Best of all, if you sign up for his newsletter you have a chance to win an Amazon gift certificate this month.

There's a kboard thread about it right HERE!
 https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,245348.0.html

I've worked with readper before. They aren't a HUGE company, but they've helped me move a few copies of my books. The Kindle Scout promo is a new venture for readper, so I haven't tried it out - but apparently they've had a great response promoting fellow kboarder Jada Ryker's THE FREAK SHOW BELOW.

So try them out, would you? At the very least sign up for the newsletter.
http://readper.com/authors/

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:20:01 AM by Patricia KC »

Offline matthewlehr

• View Profile
« Reply #18060 on: May 21, 2017, 10:04:34 AM »
Still lurking and nominating the top three.  Been busy reading the "Query Shark", a very interesting blog by a literary agent, where she tears apart everything wrong with authors' attempts at query letters and why she would form reject them.  I feel like it would help writing hooks for Scout campaigns as well.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:07:19 AM by matthewlehr »

Offline Robert Burton Robinson

• Montgomery, TX
    • View Profile
    • Robert Burton Robinson - Official Author Site
« Reply #18061 on: May 21, 2017, 10:19:18 AM »
Last week, I broke my personal "don't pay for promotion" rule and paid a whopping $5 to have my current campaign in Jaxon Reed's Readper newsletter. The listing ran yesterday. I promised to let you know how it went.

Very well, thank you! Ghosts has, as I write this, been in H&T since the first update after the newsletter went out.

The listing ran on day 15 of the campaign. On day 14, Ghosts was already ahead of where the The Ceiling Man was at that point. It's now passed TCM's final stats. (I've done very little promo of any kind for Ghosts, so the big difference is the internal/external break down. Ghost's page views have been heavily internal. TCMs were external. Yesterday added viewers to the external side.)

I'd call it a success and more than worth the $5. Since I know that page views and H&T hours are not the be-all and end-all for selection, I'm going into set-it and almost-forget-it mode for the rest of the thirty days. "Almost" because if I see an opportunity (free) for promo, I'll take it.

I'm quoting both my post and Steve's post below for info on the Readper newsletter. It only goes out on Saturdays, so if you want to use it you'll need to plan ahead.

p.s. Cold Ground Ginger by Robert Burton Robinson was also in yesterday's newsletter and is also H&T!

Yes, Patricia, my Cold Ground Ginger has been on the H&T list since yesterday's Readper newsletter. Thanks again for the idea!

Good luck with Ghosts in Glass Houses. I think you've got a winner!

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #18062 on: May 21, 2017, 10:27:06 AM »
Still lurking and nominating the top three.  Been busy reading the "Query Shark", a very interesting blog by a literary agent, where she tears apart everything wrong with authors' attempts at query letters and why she would form reject them.  I feel like it would help writing hooks for Scout campaigns as well.
Hi Matt
What is your plan to get Sponsor out there?? Dan

Dan Petrosini | blog

Online ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18063 on: May 21, 2017, 10:34:01 AM »
Hello All,
Before pulling the trigger and putting The Final Enemy into KDP, was looking for confirmation or other approaches to pricing.  Was going to put up for a period, 2 weeks?, at .99 cents before going to 2.99 to 'thank' nominators even though my thank you letter makes no reference to that gesture.

Any feedback..Thanks a bunch Dan

Dan, I put "Moon" up at 99 cents on Thursday and have sold more copies of it in three (and a half) days than I ever have any of my other books at launch--which isn't necessarily saying much, but I'm hoping to keep it at 99 cents with a few promos sprinkled throughout the month until after the "30 day cliff" to see if it sticks. Right now, my ranking has been as high as about 9900 and as low (briefly) as about 18000, with the median being about where it is now at 15000. That's really good for me. I could definitely tell when the KS email went out. I have no idea if that is good or not, but it's better than my other books, so I'm going to stick with it. Best of luck to you with whatever you decide to do!

Offline C L Salaski

• View Profile
« Reply #18064 on: May 21, 2017, 10:46:24 AM »
Sorry for the news, Cindy. I too am surprised that your novel wasn't selected. Do you plan to self-publish?

Hi Michael,

Yes, I'm planning to self-publish using KDP. I'm studying Tom Swyer's incredible diary right now. Using it to create my To Do Checklist. I'm going to do one final tweak of TNO, and then launch the novel on Amazon next month.

Are you self-publishing as well?

Cindy

Offline Patricia KC

• View Profile
« Reply #18065 on: May 21, 2017, 11:02:53 AM »
Yes, Patricia, my Cold Ground Ginger has been on the H&T list since yesterday's Readper newsletter. Thanks again for the idea!

Good luck with Ghosts in Glass Houses. I think you've got a winner!

Thank you! I have high hopes for Cold Ground Ginger!

Offline Michael Sussman

• Cambridge, MA
    • View Profile
    • MichaelSussmanBooks.com
« Reply #18066 on: May 21, 2017, 11:05:02 AM »
Hi Michael,

Yes, I'm planning to self-publish using KDP. I'm studying Tom Swyer's incredible diary right now. Using it to create my To Do Checklist. I'm going to do one final tweak of TNO, and then launch the novel on Amazon next month.

Are you self-publishing as well?

Cindy

Yes, Cindy, I plan to self-publish using KDP, CreateSpace, and IngramSpark.

My cover designer completed a cool paperback cover and I just finished my final edit.

I'd really like to get back to writing, but I find it tough to both write and promote concurrently. During my campaign, I started taking a class in abstract painting with acrylics, and that has provided a great way to take a break from the madness as well as a new creative outlet. Just bought a drafting table, so now I can paint at home as well!

Michael Sussman | MichaelSussmanBooks.com

Offline C L Salaski

• View Profile
« Reply #18067 on: May 21, 2017, 11:28:35 AM »
Yes, Cindy, I plan to self-publish using KDP, CreateSpace, and IngramSpark.

My cover designer completed a cool paperback cover and I just finished my final edit.

I'd really like to get back to writing, but I find it tough to both write and promote concurrently. During my campaign, I started taking a class in abstract painting with acrylics, and that has provided a great way to take a break from the madness as well as a new creative outlet. Just bought a drafting table, so now I can paint at home as well!

That's wonderful, Michael. I'm going to return to painting in oils while I'm promoting my novel. Let me know when you launch on Amazon.  8)

Cindy

Offline matthewlehr

• View Profile
« Reply #18068 on: May 21, 2017, 11:40:02 AM »
Hi Matt
What is your plan to get Sponsor out there?? Dan

My current goal is to write a query letter.  I see it as a learning experience.  If I can write a great query letter, I'll also get better at writing irresistible hooks that bring in troves of readers.  I'll consider the process a success if an agent gets hooked and requests to see Sponsor.  Sponsor is my first book, so I want to explore all options and learn about the publishing world firsthand.  I've heard the world of traditional publishers is not awesome!

Good luck with your KDP launch! 

Offline BillyDeCarlo

• View Profile
    • Billy DeCarlo, Author
« Reply #18069 on: May 21, 2017, 12:01:32 PM »
I've heard the world of traditional publishers is not awesome!

Traditional publishing is fantastic - if you want to have your book tied up for perhaps a year or more, have a horrendous cover forced on you, editing and maybe plot changes that you don't agree with forced on you, and then get a small percentage of the money in return :-) You will still be in charge of marketing and promotion, and if it doesn't work out, your rights may be tied up for a long time.

I've done it both ways. Trad publishing is basically a way to get into the bookstores. Is that all that important anymore? As each day goes by, it becomes clearer that people are moving toward buying online (mostly from Amazon) and toward ebooks. Sad for me, because I love spending the day browsing in bookstores, but that's the way it's going.

I'm a bit jaded (can you tell?) from my experiences. Two trad published books and then I self-published seven books. I much prefer that. If your book is "that good", the trad publishers will come begging to you, and then you will be in control. See: Hugh Howey, Fifty Shades, and others. Read up on their stories. If you do want to go trad, make sure you are very good at reading and deciphering publishing contracts (for example, keeping veto rights on the cover).

To me, you get the best of everything in Kindle Scout, a great hybrid approach. If not, self-publishing can now get you into bookstores via the Ingram Spark route. It's all getting easier and better. Remain the master of your domain!
SPED-BOT, DroidMesh Book I: 95%

LOVE-BOT, DroidMesh Book II: 0%

DEATH-BOT, DroidMesh Book III: 0%
Vigilante Angels Series Books I, II, III, boxed set all available WIDE!
Billy DeCarlo | Website/blog | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Amazon | BookBub | Goodreads | LibraryThing | Pronoun | Patreon

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #18070 on: May 21, 2017, 12:08:33 PM »
Dan, I put "Moon" up at 99 cents on Thursday and have sold more copies of it in three (and a half) days than I ever have any of my other books at launch--which isn't necessarily saying much, but I'm hoping to keep it at 99 cents with a few promos sprinkled throughout the month until after the "30 day cliff" to see if it sticks. Right now, my ranking has been as high as about 9900 and as low (briefly) as about 18000, with the median being about where it is now at 15000. That's really good for me. I could definitely tell when the KS email went out. I have no idea if that is good or not, but it's better than my other books, so I'm going to stick with it. Best of luck to you with whatever you decide to do!

Thanks. I am leaning to 2 weeks at 99 then to 2.99
Good Luck!

Dan Petrosini | blog

Online ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18071 on: May 21, 2017, 01:20:54 PM »
Thanks. I am leaning to 2 weeks at 99 then to 2.99
Good Luck!
I just checked on some of the other KS books I nominated and some of the ones that launched at 99 cents are really killing it. Ryan Kaine, House of Wolves, Life in a Haunted House, for example, all have great launch ranks at 99 cents. I'm sure there are others as well but I just happened to notice those three because they are in my "also boughts." I'm going to spend about $300 this month in ads (at least) and am following some of the threads with launch advice. I'm not sure what I will consider to be a successful launch, but I'm pretty happy with things right now. I'm sure you'll do great. You wrote an awesome book with a great cover. It'll make KS wonder what they were thinking!

Offline matthewlehr

• View Profile
« Reply #18072 on: May 21, 2017, 02:23:58 PM »
Traditional publishing is fantastic - if you want to have your book tied up for perhaps a year or more, have a horrendous cover forced on you, editing and maybe plot changes that you don't agree with forced on you, and then get a small percentage of the money in return :-) You will still be in charge of marketing and promotion, and if it doesn't work out, your rights may be tied up for a long time.

I've done it both ways. Trad publishing is basically a way to get into the bookstores. Is that all that important anymore? As each day goes by, it becomes clearer that people are moving toward buying online (mostly from Amazon) and toward ebooks. Sad for me, because I love spending the day browsing in bookstores, but that's the way it's going.

I'm a bit jaded (can you tell?) from my experiences. Two trad published books and then I self-published seven books. I much prefer that. If your book is "that good", the trad publishers will come begging to you, and then you will be in control. See: Hugh Howey, Fifty Shades, and others. Read up on their stories. If you do want to go trad, make sure you are very good at reading and deciphering publishing contracts (for example, keeping veto rights on the cover).

To me, you get the best of everything in Kindle Scout, a great hybrid approach. If not, self-publishing can now get you into bookstores via the Ingram Spark route. It's all getting easier and better. Remain the master of your domain!

Going through Scout made me think differently about writing and promotion.  When I enter Scout again, I'll use it as a launch platform and not a binary win/lose outcome.  I'll also write my books in smaller installments, closer to 50k words than 128k.  Ebooks don't reward length in the same way as physical books, especially with the lower entry fee.  It's more important to have a larger library of books.  Sponsor took me three years to write, which is too long.

I noticed the two successes you mentioned were from 2011/2012.  It's harder to gain visibility in the KDP market than was the case 5 years ago.

Part of my desire to go through the traditional publishing route once is to get a better idea of how to make a book marketable.  Once I write my query letter and synopsis, the process won't be very labor intensive, so I'll be able to dedicate my time to writing my next book.  It will also help me write a more gripping launch page.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 02:26:45 PM by matthewlehr »

Offline HilaryM

• View Profile
« Reply #18073 on: May 21, 2017, 02:47:36 PM »

The listing ran on day 15 of the campaign. On day 14, Ghosts was already ahead of where the The Ceiling Man was at that point. It's now passed TCM's final stats. (I've done very little promo of any kind for Ghosts, so the big difference is the internal/external break down. Ghost's page views have been heavily internal. TCM's were external. Yesterday added viewers to the external side.)

I did the same, and mine runs this Saturday! Interested to see what it brings! Meanwhile, halfway into my KS campaign and needing a diversion, I'm throwing additional efforts into promoting a previous book to see if I can gain traction for both that one and the new one.

One spot left and nominated Cold Ground Ginger. Good Luck Robert!

Hilary Murray | Website | Facebook

Offline Patricia KC

• View Profile
« Reply #18074 on: May 21, 2017, 02:50:43 PM »
I did the same, and mine runs this Saturday! Interested to see what it brings! Meanwhile, halfway into my KS campaign and needing a diversion, I'm throwing additional efforts into promoting a previous book to see if I can gain traction for both that one and the new one.

One spot left and nominated Cold Ground Ginger. Good Luck Robert!

Best of luck! From the results of yesterday and last Saturday (Jada Ryker's listing), the newsletter definitely reaches interested readers!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 02:54:40 PM by Patricia KC »