NetGalley

Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2050497 times)  

Offline ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #19500 on: July 14, 2017, 08:39:01 PM »
Thanks ID for the retweet, will be looking out for your next book.

Bemy
Sure thing!   :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 07:15:57 AM by ID Johnson »

Offline Rachel W

• Borders, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Wright Books
« Reply #19501 on: July 15, 2017, 02:00:39 AM »
I rewrote this to make it a little clearer (and simplified it; I realized I only needed UUU and III once):

To get your Scout submission into your signature:

1) Click at the top of this page on My Kboards/Profile/Forum Profile, then go to signature and copy the code (below) into your signature:

2) replacing 'UUU' with 'url', and 'III' with 'img'

3) click on your Scout book and replace the URL (below) with yours. Then right click on your book's cover, 'view image', and replace the image URL (below) with your image's URL:

[UUU=https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1K0CNRHLU5PZU/?tag=kbpst-20][III height=125]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/S/flint-images-prod/projects/1K0CNRHLU5PZU/PROJECT_COVER_IMAGE_1._SY300_.jpg[/IMG]<----- Please check out my submission on Kindle Scout. Thank you :)   [/URL]

I've been trying to update my profile since I started on here a month ago and for some reason once I have entered all the information (profile picture, signature etc) and press submit, the page just goes white and never updates.  Anyone know what could cause this?  I was using a VPN at first but I tried with it turned off and it still didn't work.  Anyhow, I've only got one day left and the next book won't be ready for ages - so I'll have about a year to figure it out!  Thanks for all the nominations and views this week - Tikopia is back in the H&T list finally after several weeks of almost no views.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #19502 on: July 15, 2017, 03:29:11 AM »
Okay, so it is Saturday and my wife and I are heading out for breakfast and a trip to the Farmer's Market. I've got today and tomorrow left of my vacation and then Monday I go back to work.

So let's get to the list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

LAST DAY LEFT! October Winds by Katie Mettner
LAST DAY LEFT! Tikopia by Rachel Wright
LAST DAY LEFT! Perfect Chloe by Paul Westley
2 days left Cave Hill by David Thompson
6 days left Silver Spring-Time by Cecilia Hopkins-Drewer
6 days left Necrosworn by J.B. Markes
8 days left Untangling the Black Web by T.F. Jacobs
12 days left Cybele by Rena Arun
15 days left Tropical Nights by Jelmer De Haan
16 days left I Think I Know You...Karyuna, Do I? by Ajit Panicker
16 days left The 13th Sign by Kate Warren
23 days left Ghost in the Park by Julianne Q. Johnson
23 days left Mister Miracle by Carey Lewis
26 days left Ardor's Peril by Bemy Well
28 days left Ersha's Revenge by D.M. Chappell

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting folks!

Offline DMChappellAuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #19503 on: July 15, 2017, 08:40:28 AM »
Okay, so it is Saturday and my wife and I are heading out for breakfast and a trip to the Farmer's Market. I've got today and tomorrow left of my vacation and then Monday I go back to work.

So let's get to the list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

LAST DAY LEFT! October Winds by Katie Mettner
LAST DAY LEFT! Tikopia by Rachel Wright
LAST DAY LEFT! Perfect Chloe by Paul Westley
2 days left Cave Hill by David Thompson
6 days left Silver Spring-Time by Cecilia Hopkins-Drewer
6 days left Necrosworn by J.B. Markes
8 days left Untangling the Black Web by T.F. Jacobs
12 days left Cybele by Rena Arun
15 days left Tropical Nights by Jelmer De Haan
16 days left I Think I Know You...Karyuna, Do I? by Ajit Panicker
16 days left The 13th Sign by Kate Warren
23 days left Ghost in the Park by Julianne Q. Johnson
23 days left Mister Miracle by Carey Lewis
26 days left Ardor's Peril by Bemy Well
28 days left Ersha's Revenge by D.M. Chappell

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting folks!

Thank you for adding me to the list.  Needless to say, day one stats are disheartening.  Will keep my fingers crossed that the marketing I did will at some point pay off. SIGH.  Thank you again for your hard work in putting together this list on a regular basis.  I appreciate any time you can put me on the list as a reminder I need serious help.

Offline stillmyheart

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Imaginary Lit(erature)
« Reply #19504 on: July 15, 2017, 09:14:44 AM »
Got the top three in my noms, good luck, everybody!

Finding Home Again is currently free, for anybody who wants to give it a download  :D

Mary Head | Twitter | Blog | Facebook

Offline Alyson Larrabee

• Easton, MA
    • View Profile
    • https://alysonlarrabee.wordpress.com/author/alysonlarrabee/
« Reply #19505 on: July 15, 2017, 10:50:45 AM »
Got the top three in my noms, good luck, everybody!

Finding Home Again is currently free, for anybody who wants to give it a download  :D

Just got my copy. Thanks!

Offline sheritybemy

• View Profile
« Reply #19506 on: July 15, 2017, 12:27:26 PM »
Thank you for adding me to the list.  Needless to say, day one stats are disheartening.  Will keep my fingers crossed that the marketing I did will at some point pay off. SIGH.  Thank you again for your hard work in putting together this list on a regular basis.  I appreciate any time you can put me on the list as a reminder I need serious help.
I've also got some marketing going on but I'm not seeing many views from it. I tried authorshout and justkindle, my readper is yet to go but so far I would count a little over a hundred page views whilst kindle scout views has shot me over 1K. I don't know if it takes time to get off the ground. I find it surprising that I have more kindlescout views like 80% than external which is 20%. I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this.
Fell off the hot list and I finally know what you guys were talking about. When you're on it you're stressed to stay when you get off it you're stressed to get back on. My first try I only trended the last day and my entire page views for the entire campaign was just over 600. So Ardor's Peril is definitely getting to a better start. But right now I'm cold-can't eat and am considering a bucket of chocolate and a tub of ice cream. Doing a kindle scout should have a health warning.

Bemy

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #19507 on: July 15, 2017, 12:52:30 PM »
I've also got some marketing going on but I'm not seeing many views from it. I tried authorshout and justkindle, my readper is yet to go but so far I would count a little over a hundred page views whilst kindle scout views has shot me over 1K. I don't know if it takes time to get off the ground. I find it surprising that I have more kindlescout views like 80% than external which is 20%. I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this.
Fell off the hot list and I finally know what you guys were talking about. When you're on it you're stressed to stay when you get off it you're stressed to get back on. My first try I only trended the last day and my entire page views for the entire campaign was just over 600. So Ardor's Peril is definitely getting to a better start. But right now I'm cold-can't eat and am considering a bucket of chocolate and a tub of ice cream. Doing a kindle scout should have a health warning.

Bemy
It helps if you keep in mind that stats don't determine book selection. Hot and Trending doesn't. Page views don't. No stat that we can see do. There have been people selected with low stats and rejected with high ones. The editors pick the books they want to pick, based on their perception of what will sell best. It's possible they may be influenced by stats if they are otherwise uncertain about the book, but I'm not sure even that's true.

Think of advertising to get stats the same way you would in any other publishing context--you do the best you can, and you don't worry about it. At all. The exposure will help your launch, whether you're accepted or rejected. That's all it will do. It will not get you a contract.

The fact that most of your views are internal at the very beginning is normal. Books become more visible on the site at the beginning and at the end. That's nothing to worry about.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline sheritybemy

• View Profile
« Reply #19508 on: July 15, 2017, 01:02:43 PM »
It helps if you keep in mind that stats don't determine book selection. Hot and Trending doesn't. Page views don't. No stat that we can see do. There have been people selected with low stats and rejected with high ones. The editors pick the books they want to pick, based on their perception of what will sell best. It's possible they may be influenced by stats if they are otherwise uncertain about the book, but I'm not sure even that's true.

Think of advertising to get stats the same way you would in any other publishing context--you do the best you can, and you don't worry about it. At all. The exposure will help your launch, whether you're accepted or rejected. That's all it will do. It will not get you a contract.

The fact that most of your views are internal at the very beginning is normal. Books become more visible on the site at the beginning and at the end. That's nothing to worry about.
Thanks Bill. I will try in between my servings of chocolate and ice cream.

Bemy

Offline greatbrit

• London
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #19509 on: July 15, 2017, 01:40:46 PM »
Thank you to everyone for your advice, kind words, support, and nominations. Perfect Chloe ends today, and then I will be placed into a self induced coma, drip fed by chocolate milk shakes, until I hear the results.

My final stats will be around 5.5K views and 530 H&T, with 97% coming from the Scout web page, and about 170 votes externally. I did zero advertising this time. The first 5 days I had 400 or so views a day (which seemed like a huge amount), but zero in H&T. Views then slid down to around 100, where they stayed until near the end, when they climbed back to the 200s and 300s. My strategy was to not ask for votes until I dropped from H&T, and even then, to only ask one specific group at a time, saving my other potential friends and fellow writers in case I needed them later. I started my requests for votes on a forum on Wattpad where a lot of people know me, and that got me started in H&T. I stayed there for the most part throughout the campaign. On the few times I dropped out (mostly on days when many entries were ending that day; one day there were nine), I requested votes here on KBoards and on Goodreads, which got me back, and again on Wattpad. I also had a couple of kind friends who pushed my Scout link on their FB pages.

Last time I entered this same book, I paid for advertising, got huge views and hots, and, obviously, was not selected. That time most of my views were external. Which has got me thinking about the whole procedure. If I were Scout, as almost all external views are from us soliciting nominations, I would give almost no weight to external votes, as there is no way of knowing if the voter liked the cover/blurb/sample pages, or not.

Also, this being Amazon, and from what I have read, they have almost no interest in us promoting our own books, as their marketing efforts dwarf anything we could come up with. So I don't see why they would particularly care how many external page views we receive. I don't think they are signing us because we are or are not good marketers.

I would be really curious to see the stats of chosen books, in relation to their internal/external views percentage. I think that may be far more relevant than simply knowing page views and H&T hours without knowing that extra information. If H&T and views mean anything at all, it might explain why some low noms make it, and some high noms don't. And if it does mean nothing, then is the purpose of it solely to get us to promote the Scout site? I'm not complaining if it is, I think it's the least I can do to help them to help me, but it would certainly save a few restless nights if we knew.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 05:11:29 PM by greatbrit »

Offline Cecelia

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19510 on: July 15, 2017, 03:49:02 PM »
Please remember those of us whose manuscripts are entering their last days on scout. Silver Spring-Time has 5 days to go. Perfect Chloe is on its last days.

Offline DMChappellAuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #19511 on: July 15, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »

Bemy

KS is not worth weight gain! If it is meant to happen, it will happen.  They say only 3% get picked up by KS.  Those are not good odds no matter the game, so I will not dwell on them. 

Anyway, I assumed my novel might have a harder time in general if the nominators actually "read' the pages that are supplied, vs. just nominating based on cover.  My book is #2 in a series, which means the first few chapters were not as "hooky" as a stand alone or first novel because I had to blend the start, with some back reference from book 1. This means it might not be as easily understood.  Not even sure what I just said will make sense!  In case, as other said I will just look at this as an opportunity for free marketing.  I will take anything I can get.  I just want to get some of the money back I put into editing and such.  Who knew that writing a book was the easy part.  It is the rest that kills you and your pocketbook.  :P

Offline sheritybemy

• View Profile
« Reply #19512 on: July 15, 2017, 04:26:46 PM »
KS is not worth weight gain! If it is meant to happen, it will happen.  They say only 3% get picked up by KS.  Those are not good odds no matter the game, so I will not dwell on them. 

Anyway, I assumed my novel might have a harder time in general if the nominators actually "read' the pages that are supplied, vs. just nominating based on cover.  My book is #2 in a series, which means the first few chapters were not as "hooky" as a stand alone or first novel because I had to blend the start, with some back reference from book 1. This means it might not be as easily understood.  Not even sure what I just said will make sense!  In case, as other said I will just look at this as an opportunity for free marketing.  I will take anything I can get.  I just want to get some of the money back I put into editing and such.  Who knew that writing a book was the easy part.  It is the rest that kills you and your pocketbook.  :P
Yes I've also got the same mindset and am using it as a launching ground. If I get picked even better. I don't think your book being the second in the series will hurt your chances. Many have been selected before. I even saw one which was number five or so in the series. I've seen some good writing get the axe, so you go into this really not knowing. However I wouldn't be bothered by views (I know this consciously) now just for my nerves to get it. One person was selected with a little over 300 page views. So who knows what the criteria is. I'll take your advice but chocolate and ice cream taste good for a reason-this is pure research. Good luck

Bemy

Offline sheritybemy

• View Profile
« Reply #19513 on: July 15, 2017, 04:30:43 PM »

I saved your book, hope it helps. Will nominate when we get there

Bemy

Offline Cecelia

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19514 on: July 15, 2017, 04:31:02 PM »
I view Kindle Scout  as 30 days of free advertising - it gets more views for Kindle and more views for us while we are up there.

I have my own plans as soon as it is all over - but you never know - they may see a market slot for our work not necessarily based on the hits.  In Kindle Scout the genres appear to compete with each other with the most exciting taking the most hits obviously....

If the stress overcomes you, do what I'm doing - and Julieanne seems to do - write another book during the campaign! By the time I'm notified, I'll be completed another script I think. Pretty good bonus.

Offline David Thompson

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19515 on: July 15, 2017, 05:32:48 PM »
Please remember those of us whose manuscripts are entering their last days on scout. Silver Spring-Time has 5 days to go. Perfect Chloe is on its last days.

Yes...and others :)

Bar Girl is FREE!
David Thompson | TRUK LAGOON KS Campaign!

Offline greatbrit

• London
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #19516 on: July 15, 2017, 05:56:36 PM »
Yes...and others :)

Just read yours. Loved it. Great dialogue. I'll have a spot open for it tomorrow. You should try to get the book cover into your signature.

Offline David Thompson

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19517 on: July 15, 2017, 06:51:17 PM »
Just read yours. Loved it. Great dialogue. I'll have a spot open for it tomorrow. You should try to get the book cover into your signature.

I'll try for the next one, Paul. Thank you.

Good luck with Perfect Chloe...it's had my vote since I first saw it.

Bar Girl is FREE!
David Thompson | TRUK LAGOON KS Campaign!

Offline Patricia KC

• View Profile
« Reply #19518 on: July 15, 2017, 06:55:14 PM »
I would be really curious to see the stats of chosen books, in relation to their internal/external views percentage. I think that may be far more relevant than simply knowing page views and H&T hours without knowing that extra information. If H&T and views mean anything at all, it might explain why some low noms make it, and some high noms don't. And if it does mean nothing, then is the purpose of it solely to get us to promote the Scout site? I'm not complaining if it is, I think it's the least I can do to help them to help me, but it would certainly save a few restless nights if we knew.

I can share the numbers for my two campaigns.

For The Ceiling Man, I did no paid promotion. I posted on FaceBook, did a couple of tweets, and posted here. I did a couple of blog posts, and a couple of friends mentioned it on their blogs. A lot of FB friends shared my initial post, and over half of my total page views came in the first three days. The final stats were 924 page views, 40% internal/60% external, and 162 hours (23%) in H&T.

For Ghosts in Glass Houses, I spent a whopping $5 (I believe the price is now $7.50 and well worth it) on Jaxon Reed's readper.com newsletter, which I did because I was doing even less social media promo than for TCM. My only other promotion was in two closed FaceBook groups (one with only 20 members) and here. A friend posted it in a closed, genre-related FaceBook group. That was it. The final stats were 1700 page views, 74% internal/26% external, and 403 hours (56%) in H&T.

Both books were selected, which leads me to believe the stats and promotion don't mean a whole lot as far as selection goes. Books with fewer page views and less time in H&T than mine have been chosen and done well.

Best of luck to everybody in campaign and in the waiting room!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 07:02:12 PM by Patricia KC »

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #19519 on: July 15, 2017, 07:03:40 PM »
I view Kindle Scout  as 30 days of free advertising - it gets more views for Kindle and more views for us while we are up there.

I have my own plans as soon as it is all over - but you never know - they may see a market slot for our work not necessarily based on the hits.  In Kindle Scout the genres appear to compete with each other with the most exciting taking the most hits obviously....

If the stress overcomes you, do what I'm doing - and Julieanne seems to do - write another book during the campaign! By the time I'm notified, I'll be completed another script I think. Pretty good bonus.

Yes!  Write the next book!  Keep the momentum going!  I'm Hoping to have Ghost at the College ready to roll by the time I find out about Ghost in the Park.  I might not quite make it, but I'm going to do my bestest!

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
« Reply #19520 on: July 15, 2017, 07:07:10 PM »
Thank you to everyone for your advice, kind words, support, and nominations. Perfect Chloe ends today, and then I will be placed into a self induced coma, drip fed by chocolate milk shakes, until I hear the results.

My final stats will be around 5.5K views and 530 H&T, with 97% coming from the Scout web page, and about 170 votes externally. I did zero advertising this time. The first 5 days I had 400 or so views a day (which seemed like a huge amount), but zero in H&T. Views then slid down to around 100, where they stayed until near the end, when they climbed back to the 200s and 300s. My strategy was to not ask for votes until I dropped from H&T, and even then, to only ask one specific group at a time, saving my other potential friends and fellow writers in case I needed them later. I started my requests for votes on a forum on Wattpad where a lot of people know me, and that got me started in H&T. I stayed there for the most part throughout the campaign. On the few times I dropped out (mostly on days when many entries were ending that day; one day there were nine), I requested votes here on KBoards and on Goodreads, which got me back, and again on Wattpad. I also had a couple of kind friends who pushed my Scout link on their FB pages.

Great stats, Paul.  I'd be over the moon!  Wishing your Chloe all the best, whichever path you end up taking.  You've got my vote!

Offline greatbrit

• London
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #19521 on: July 15, 2017, 07:09:58 PM »

For The Ceiling Man, I did no paid promotion. I posted on FaceBook, did a couple of tweets, and posted here. I did a couple of blog posts, and a couple of friends mentioned it on their blogs. A lot of FB friends shared my initial post, and over half of my total page views came in the first three days. The final stats were 924 page views, 40% internal/60% external, and 162 hours (23%) in H&T.

For Ghosts in Glass Houses, I spent a whopping $5 (I believe the price is now $7.50 and well worth it) on Jaxon Reed's readper.com newsletter, which I did because I was doing even less social media promo than for TCM. My only other promotion was in two closed FaceBook groups (one with only 20 members) and here. A friend posted it in a closed, genre-related FaceBook group. That was it. The final stats were 1700 page views, 74% internal/26% external, and 403 hours (56%) in H&T.

Both books were selected, which leads me to believe the stats and promotion don't mean a whole lot. Books with fewer page views and less time in H&T than mine have been chosen and done well.

Thanks very much for that information, Patricia. Yes, I totally agree. That would seem to be an even more convincing argument that the whole, or at least, main, point of the H&T and views stats are perhaps just to give us an incentive to promote our books, which in turn sends potential new Amazon customers to the Scout site. If that's the case, I see it as a win-win, because those same customers are potential customers for the books that don't get selected.

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
« Reply #19522 on: July 15, 2017, 07:16:35 PM »

Both books were selected, which leads me to believe the stats and promotion don't mean a whole lot as far as selection goes. Books with fewer page views and less time in H&T than mine have been chosen and done well.

Patricia, I love it when you come in here as living proof it isn't all about the stats.  It helps us all keep our chins up.

Patricia started with a kick-butt book with an awesome cover.  That's bare bones what you must have for a decent chance at selection, just as with any publisher.  After that, having a genre KP thinks is hot, having a book that isn't too similar to another one already selected, and other publisher concerns come into play.  KS stats are never what getting selected is all about. (as far as I know, I've been trying to scry KP secret meetings, but with no success.  They must have anti-witch wards up, ;) ) That's not to say they are worthless either.  Those nominations  are where your advance reviews come from if selected, and your buyers and readers if not selected.  Important, sure, but not all important.

Oh, and if you haven't read Patricia's The Ceiling Man, you should because it's awesome.  If I sound like a squeeing fangirl it's because I totally am. :D

Offline greatbrit

• London
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #19523 on: July 15, 2017, 07:18:21 PM »
Great stats, Paul.  I'd be over the moon!  Wishing your Chloe all the best, whichever path you end up taking.  You've got my vote!

Thanks very much, Julianne :) At the end of the day, they either see the book as marketable for Kindle Press, or they don't. If they don't, then I need to take a step back and decide if my work needs more work, before deciding what to do with it next. I understand the value of the momentum gained through people who nominated, but I am not so sure self-publishing is for everyone.

Offline Rena Arun

• View Profile
« Reply #19524 on: July 15, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »
Patricia, I love it when you come in here as living proof it isn't all about the stats.  It helps us all keep our chins up.

Patricia started with a kick-butt book with an awesome cover.  That's bare bones what you must have for a decent chance at selection, just as with any publisher.  After that, having a genre KP thinks is hot, having a book that isn't too similar to another one already selected, and other publisher concerns come into play.  KS stats are never what getting selected is all about. (as far as I know, I've been trying to scry KP secret meetings, but with no success.  They must have anti-witch wards up, ;) ) That's not to say they are worthless either.  Those nominations  are where your advance reviews come from if selected, and your buyers and readers if not selected.  Important, sure, but not all important.

Oh, and if you haven't read Patricia's The Ceiling Man, you should because it's awesome.  If I sound like a squeeing fangirl it's because I totally am. :D

"It isn't all about the stats" ... Amazingly good to hear for a book that's been bouncing around in stats like mine. Thank you, Patricia, & Julianne for putting it all in perspective. Good luck to everyone who's in the waiting room and those on their way there and those who have the momentum of their KS campaign to launch their book independently. I think the only defeat is the one we deal ourselves when we quit trying.