Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2316336 times)  

Offline thousandroses

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences, anyone?
« Reply #3850 on: February 20, 2016, 10:51:09 pm »
Congrats, Steve.

-Rose 
Up for Nomination on Kindle Scout:                     

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Lexi Revellian

• London
      • View Profile
      • Lexi Revellian - my writing and other related matters...
    « Reply #3851 on: February 20, 2016, 11:50:37 pm »
    Wow, it only took two days!  Just received the email from Amazon.  Son of Justice has been selected for publication!  Whoo hoo!

Congratulations Steven!

Offline blancheking

• View Profile
    « Reply #3852 on: February 21, 2016, 12:07:58 am »
    yay selection! :) congrats steven!

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
    • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #3853 on: February 21, 2016, 02:26:11 am »
    Hey - I want to say welcome to Joan Marie Verba as well as welcome back to successful Kindle Scout author The Behrg who is campaigning a second novel in Kindle Scout, the system must be REALLY working out for him. And big-time congratulations to Steven L. Hawk for the acceptance of Son of Justice. Awesome news!

:)

Let's get to the list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

4 days left The Digital Graffiti by Rose Carter
    5 days left The Sleepwalkers by B.B. Griffith
    11 days left Kelpie Dreams by Steve Vernon
    11 days left Love Rocks by LB Clark
    11 days left Out of Darkness by Kenny S. Rich
    12 days left Forrest Wollinsky: Vampire Hunter
    18 days left Bulletproof Hearts by Brianna Cane
    19 days left Forest of Demons by Debbie Cassidy
    21 days left Modern Surprises by Joan Marie Verba
    25 days left Fire Girl by Andy Mulberry
    28 days left Summer Love, Winter Tears by Carol Collins
    28 days left The Creation: Let There Be Death by The Behrg

If I have missed anyone let me know. The best way to do that is just to post a link on the thread.

Happy scouting to you all!

Offline Cassidy

• England, United Kingdom
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3854 on: February 21, 2016, 03:24:55 am »
    Hi, Everyone!

I have a science fiction novel on Kindle Scout right now. It's at  https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1LB0I8IIU1UXW

The campaign has been going on for about a week, and though I've been promoting it every way I can, I haven't been getting much success. Although I've had author friends of mine promoting my Kindle Scout campaign on their Facebook and Twitter accounts (as well as other social media), I haven't even reached the "Hot" category, for even an hour. I estimate that the reach of all this promotion has been between 75,000 and 100,000 views, but according to the analytics, the clicks have been minimal. (Example: someone very nicely posted a tweet to his 46,000 followers, and the analytics showed that only one--yes, one--click resulted.)

I'm continuing my promotional efforts, and came to this board to see if anyone might have any other suggestions. I have read many of the posts here, and I have been nominating the works of those who have posted theirs to this board. I also understand there might be a Facebook group? (If so, my Facebook name is Joan Marie Verba.)

Wishing everyone the best, and will continue to read the board with interest.

Joan

A few things I did:
    Emaild my subscribers to ask them to help out
    Ran a fb ad
    Boosted an fb post
    two fiverr gigs - one with Mavelous Maven and the other with bookkitty
    started a headtalker campaign which goes live on Friday
    Booked a 2 day booktweeter and split it over two weeks.
    Also messaged my fb readers, my friends and family and my street team to help spread the word.

I don't know what else you can do once you've tried all the above. I keep tweeting every couple of days and get a few RT but its my fb ad and my boosted post that have had the most clicks and engagement. If you don't have the budget for an fb advert then boosting the post helps and is pretty reasonably priced.

Hope that helps. Good luck, hun.
    Check out Forest of Demons on Kindle Scout :D https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/XCA3VZMEAL5P

Offline Lexi Revellian

• London
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3855 on: February 21, 2016, 04:00:54 am »
    A few things I did:
    Emaild my subscribers to ask them to help out
    Ran a fb ad
    Boosted an fb post
    two fiverr gigs - one with Mavelous Maven and the other with bookkitty
    started a headtalker campaign which goes live on Friday
    Booked a 2 day booktweeter and split it over two weeks.
    Also messaged my fb readers, my friends and family and my street team to help spread the word.

I don't know what else you can do once you've tried all the above. I keep tweeting every couple of days and get a few RT but its my fb ad and my boosted post that have had the most clicks and engagement. If you don't have the budget for an fb advert then boosting the post helps and is pretty reasonably priced.

A few things I did:

Asked immediate family and a handful of close friends to nominate my book
    Tweeted once
    Blogged twice
    Posted once on Facebook
    Started a thread on two forums I'm a regular member of

I'm not sure, going by the experiences of people on this thread, that being on H & T the whole time is worth chasing.
    « Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 04:11:11 am by Lexi Revellian »

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #3856 on: February 21, 2016, 04:41:55 am »
    Hi, Everyone!

I have a science fiction novel on Kindle Scout right now. It's at  https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1LB0I8IIU1UXW

The campaign has been going on for about a week, and though I've been promoting it every way I can, I haven't been getting much success. Although I've had author friends of mine promoting my Kindle Scout campaign on their Facebook and Twitter accounts (as well as other social media), I haven't even reached the "Hot" category, for even an hour. I estimate that the reach of all this promotion has been between 75,000 and 100,000 views, but according to the analytics, the clicks have been minimal. (Example: someone very nicely posted a tweet to his 46,000 followers, and the analytics showed that only one--yes, one--click resulted.)

I'm continuing my promotional efforts, and came to this board to see if anyone might have any other suggestions. I have read many of the posts here, and I have been nominating the works of those who have posted theirs to this board. I also understand there might be a Facebook group? (If so, my Facebook name is Joan Marie Verba.)

Wishing everyone the best, and will continue to read the board with interest.

Joan

First off - I believe the Facebook group you are talking about is a group set up by folks who ACTUALLY have books published by Kindle Scout.

Secondly - if I might be so bold - you could do worse things than to follow my blog where I am currently listing all my campaigning efforts on a day-by-day blow-by-blow thirty day blog series. I don't think I have discovered anything close to rocket science - but I detail my every effort, trick and strategy from Day 1 right on through. I've got a link down here in my signature.

Offline Steven L. Hawk

• Boise, ID
      • View Profile
      • Steven L. Hawk's Website
    « Reply #3857 on: February 21, 2016, 07:00:46 am »
    I'm not sure, going by the experiences of people on this thread, that being on H & T the whole time is worth chasing.

Obviously, being H&T the entire time can't hurt your chances.  The real question is: How much does it help?

SoJ spent 141 hours on the H&T list.  It had just under 700 total page views (52% internal and 48% external.)  When I compare those stats against someone like Cindy, who's book Rosette, spent nearly its entire run on the H&T and had >2000 views, the answer begins to emerge.

I'm in agreement with Blanche, who said:

I'm still convinced H&T is just a double-checker for appeal at first glance and something to help promote KS. Looking at recent trends, it seems the chosen romance authors each have a mile-long publishing trail with hundreds of reviews under their belts. Thrillers seem a little more lenient, but not by much. The "Girl on the Moon" book has the shortest publishing trail, but it also reminds me a little of "The Martian". Maybe Amazon is taking a chance there to see if its the new "hot genre".

My publishing trail isn't a mile long, but my sales history is well known by Amazon.  I've sold >100K copies in the past five years, which means SoJ is a pretty good bet for them.  When you consider their slice of the pie increases from 30% to 50%, it makes selecting books by authors who have a proven history of sales something of a no-brainer.  They get an exclusive right to publish (eliminating our ability to go wide at other retailers), while greatly improving their profit margins. 

I struggled long and hard before entering SoJ into KS for these reasons.  In the end, I felt giving up 20% was worth the potential benefits.  Plus, I'm always ready to try something new.  If it doesn't work out in my favor, I'll just go back to self-pubbing on the next book. 

So... back to that all-elusive question regarding H&T:  How much does it help?  Honestly, I think it depends.  In my case, I don't think it was a factor.  At all.  For those without a history of sales or a long publishing tail, but who have books that are well-written, have great covers/blurbs, and are in genres that are proven... it may get you noticed.  And that doesn't hurt.

Steven L. Hawk | My Website

Offline Lexi Revellian

• London
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3858 on: February 21, 2016, 07:56:11 am »
    At the moment, the number of books on the site is really quite small. (When I did a spot check during my run, the total number of books was approximately 92.)  Books are being selected at a rate of one every four days. I am sure the KS team want this venture to succeed as much as the selected authors do, so I think the chances they will not look at any book on the site are zero.

Offline Armand Rosamilia

• Jacksonville Florida
      • View Profile
      • Armand Rosamilia
    « Reply #3859 on: February 21, 2016, 10:22:31 am »
    Wow, it only took two days!  Just received the email from Amazon.  Son of Justice has been selected for publication!  Whoo hoo!

Awesome! Congrats!

Armand
    Author. Horror. Heavy Metal. Zombies. M&M's.

Arm Cast Podcast: http://www.projectiradio.com/shows/arm-cast-podcast/

Offline KGGiarratano

• View Profile
    « Reply #3860 on: February 21, 2016, 10:54:55 am »
    Congrats, Steve!

Offline editorjmv

• Minnesota
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3861 on: February 21, 2016, 11:55:31 am »
    Thanks for the welcome, everyone! The analytics already show clicks on my Kindle Scout campaign from this group. Greatly appreciated!

Steven L. Hawk, congratulations!

Cassidy and Lexi: thanks for the additional hints. I have been checking out the ad options on Facebook, and think I've finally found a way to target the audience most inclined to check out the link to my campaign.

Steve Vernon: thanks for the suggestions. I have read all the entries on your blog about the Kindle Scout campaign. I've also followed you on Twitter, as well as on your Facebook page.

Everyone: I made some promotional videos for my Kindle Scout campaign, and posted one to Facebook and Twitter already. If interested, check it out at:  https://youtu.be/2HIkZSkzoNs

Joan

Joan Marie Verba | website

Offline blancheking

• View Profile
    « Reply #3862 on: February 21, 2016, 01:19:15 pm »
    I am sure the KS team want this venture to succeed as much as the selected authors do, so I think the chances they will not look at any book on the site are zero.

+1 to this

Overall, I definitely think new authors should try the KS program at least once. There is so much to learn about the writing industry, and just the exposure to an audience and other authors provides lessons you can't buy anywhere else. Best case scenario, KS makes an exception and accepts the novel. Worst case scenario, it's a lesson in mapping, marketing, and learning what to do and not do when pitching the book. Overall, it's a net gain in utility.

As for new authors, I recommend not asking facebook friends to vote for your KS campaign. It's a little counter-intuitive, but you're going to need those favors later when you have to rack up purchases to get the book out of the 800k rankings, and most people are much more responsive to a first-time ask than a continuous ask for favors.

Offline thesios

• View Profile
    « Reply #3863 on: February 21, 2016, 01:29:20 pm »
    i am ready to launch my book , i waited until I have another 2 books so Ihave a launch sequence for Amelia whitmore

How many of the authors that were not select for publication are still in here ?

maybe we could get a combined book promo for all the scout losers ?

Any takers ?

Offline TheBehrg

• View Profile
    « Reply #3864 on: February 21, 2016, 02:54:24 pm »
    Hey - I want to say welcome to Joan Marie Verba as well as welcome back to successful Kindle Scout author The Behrg who is campaigning a second novel in Kindle Scout, the system must be REALLY working out for him. And big-time congratulations to Steven L. Hawk for the acceptance of Son of Justice. Awesome news!

Thnx Steve - good to be back in the trenches! We have another KS winner who is also campaigning, this time for his third book -- Jim Morris. Great writer. And I'll be putting together a little piece on my past experience for a post on Mr. Vernon's blog. Thnx Steve for the oppty.

The Behrg | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline Michael Barbato-Dunn

• View Profile
      • Author Website
    « Reply #3865 on: February 21, 2016, 02:59:33 pm »
    Congrats to those chosen  8).

4 days left The Digital Graffiti by Rose Carter
    5 days left The Sleepwalkers by B.B. Griffith
    11 days left Kelpie Dreams by Steve Vernon

Nominated!

Offline TheBehrg

• View Profile
    « Reply #3866 on: February 21, 2016, 03:02:51 pm »
    Obviously, being H&T the entire time can't hurt your chances.  The real question is: How much does it help?

So... back to that all-elusive question regarding H&T:  How much does it help?  Honestly, I think it depends.  In my case, I don't think it was a factor.  At all.  For those without a history of sales or a long publishing tail, but who have books that are well-written, have great covers/blurbs, and are in genres that are proven... it may get you noticed.  And that doesn't hurt.

Have to agree with you. H&T, in my opinion, is like a flag that goes off for the KS team to look at the book more seriously. Then its probably a combination of author reach / platform, potential marketability, caliber of the work, etc. There have been books that have been selected that weren't H&T at all, but those authors had some of those other (more desirable) ingredients. It definitely can't hurt but it's not worth spending gobs of money to try to ride the list the entire 30 days.

Offline blancheking

• View Profile
    « Reply #3867 on: February 21, 2016, 03:36:37 pm »
    i am ready to launch my book , i waited until I have another 2 books so Ihave a launch sequence for Amelia whitmore

How many of the authors that were not select for publication are still in here ?

maybe we could get a combined book promo for all the scout losers ?

Any takers ?

Loser #1, reporting for duty  :D :D I'm waiting for my case to end so I can finish my second book and give KS another go. I also remember Amelia. How's she doing?

Offline thesios

• View Profile
    « Reply #3868 on: February 21, 2016, 03:57:23 pm »
    Loser #1, reporting for duty  :D :D I'm waiting for my case to end so I can finish my second book and give KS another go. I also remember Amelia. How's she doing?

Amelia is fine, she has been tirelessdly working on 2 more books, I think book #2 just one Kiss ,  is her best ! ! !

We are working to get some arc readers for Game Changer currently

I am even thinking of having her submit the book to the scout

« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 03:59:58 pm by thesios »

Offline Andy Mulberry

• It never rains in California.
      • View Profile
      • Andy Mulberry
    « Reply #3869 on: February 21, 2016, 04:19:15 pm »
    Overall, I definitely think new authors should try the KS program at least once. There is so much to learn about the writing industry, and just the exposure to an audience and other authors provides lessons you can't buy anywhere else. Best case scenario, KS makes an exception and accepts the novel. Worst case scenario, it's a lesson in mapping, marketing, and learning what to do and not do when pitching the book. Overall, it's a net gain in utility.

That's how I see KS too. It's a win/win to me, no matter the outcome. 

And to Steven L. Hawk, congratulations!

Offline TheBehrg

• View Profile
    « Reply #3870 on: February 21, 2016, 06:28:18 pm »
    Loser #1, reporting for duty  :D :D

Hardly!! You're book has been tearing it up - congrats! And definitely jump in with another one when you're ready!

Offline Cassidy

• England, United Kingdom
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3871 on: February 22, 2016, 02:33:34 am »
    18 days to go and I've clocked up 258 hours on the H&T and 1.4k page views. I'm wondering how KS view authors who have a backlist and a platform already but under a different name? I co-write as Amos Cassidy, have done for the past 4 years. Forest of Demons is my first solo novel, but as it's in the same genre I write in already, I'll be using my present platform, website, readers etc. I'll just add an extra page to my website and grow from there. My readers are really supportive but, man, I'm really nervous, lol. I wish I didn't want this so bad.
    Check out Forest of Demons on Kindle Scout :D https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/XCA3VZMEAL5P

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #3872 on: February 22, 2016, 03:24:39 am »
    All right - so another big day yesterday adding 24 more hours to my HOT & TRENDING list. That brings me to 328 hours HOT & TRENDING with 1,182 page views. I've got ten more days left of campaigning and I am REALLY not doing a whole lot right now except sputtering, spitting and spinning my wheels.

But enough with the chest thumping, already. Let's get to the list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

3 days left The Digital Graffiti by Rose Carter
    4 days left The Sleepwalkers by B.B. Griffith
    10 days left Kelpie Dreams by Steve Vernon
    10 days left Love Rocks by LB Clark
    10 days left Out of Darkness by Kenny S. Rich
    11 days left Forrest Wollinsky: Vampire Hunter
    17 days left Bulletproof Hearts by Brianna Cane
    18 days left Forest of Demons by Debbie Cassidy
    20 days left Modern Surprises by Joan Marie Verba
    24 days left Fire Girl by Andy Mulberry
    27 days left Summer Love, Winter Tears by Carol Collins
    27 days left The Creation: Let There Be Death by The Behrg

If I have missed anyone let me know. The very best way to do that is just to post a link on the thread.

Happy scouting to you all!

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #3873 on: February 22, 2016, 04:02:33 am »
    Have to agree with you. H&T, in my opinion, is like a flag that goes off for the KS team to look at the book more seriously. Then its probably a combination of author reach / platform, potential marketability, caliber of the work, etc. There have been books that have been selected that weren't H&T at all, but those authors had some of those other (more desirable) ingredients. It definitely can't hurt but it's not worth spending gobs of money to try to ride the list the entire 30 days.

Agreed.

I've spent ten dollars directly on my Kindle Scout promo on two Fiverr promo pages that were aimed specifically at Kindle Scout campaigns - Book Kitty and Marvelous Maven. I've got links to both of them in my blog series and I'm too lazy to go back and look them up right now. I invested the money for two reasons.

Reason 1 - I am desperate.

Hey, let's be honest here.
    :)

Reason 2 - and this is the big one - I was curious. THIS, more than anything else is what has brought me into the world of indie publishing over these last three years or so. I want to get out there and test the waters. I want to find out what works for me and what doesn't. I want to see what happens when you push this button.

So - I had ten bucks kicking around idle in my PayPal - and I said, WHY NOT?

There was a third Fiverr site that offered this - I WILL NOMINATE YOUR KINDLE SCOUT CAMPAIGN for five dollars.

Now THAT seemed a little dodgy to me. Paying five dollars to a service that posts your Kindle Scout campaign on their Facebook page and/or Tweets about your campaign on their Tweet feed is fair. If your campaign is interesting enough then some Facebook and/or Twitter follower of this promo site might jump in. That's worth five bucks to me.

But handing somebody five dollars to nominate you - that just didn't seem cost effective to me. What's worse, it didn't even seem ethical to me. With Book Kitty and Maven I was buying advertising. That was fair. With that other site - whose name I can't even remember - it just seemed like vote buying - which ISN'T fair.

Offline BBGriffith

• Denver, CO
    • Purveyor of Fine Escapism
      • View Profile
      • Griffith Publishing
    « Reply #3874 on: February 22, 2016, 04:53:55 am »
    Congrats to those chosen  8).

Nominated!

Cheers! It's time for the home stretch!
      | | |

KBoards.com