Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2315613 times)  

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
Re: Kindle Scout experiences, anyone?
« Reply #3950 on: March 03, 2016, 02:10:07 am »
All right.

Let's get to the list. Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

LAST DAY LEFT Kelpie Dreams by Steve Vernon
LAST DAY LEFT Love Rocks by LB Clark
LAST DAY LEFT Out of Darkness by Kenny S. Rich
3 days left Forrest Wollinsky: Vampire Hunter
7 days left Bulletproof Hearts by Brianna Cane
8 days left Forest of Demons by Debbie Cassidy
9 days left The Devil's Soul by P. Walter Gagnon
10 days left Modern Surprises by Joan Marie Verba
14 days left Fire Girl by Andy Mulberry
16 days left The Second Sphere by Peter S. Banks
17 days left Summer Love, Winter Tears by Carol Collins
17 days left The Creation: Let There Be Death by The Behrg
17 days left The Risk it Takes to Blossom by Tani Hanes
25 days left God of Chains by JR Armstrong

If I have missed anyone please let me know. The very best way that you can do that is just to post a link on the thread.

This is my last day - and I feel like a contestant in a dance marathon being asked to leave the dance floor. A part of me says oh god, I'm not done yet, I can dance harder. A part of me says - oh thank god, my feet are killing me.

I'm going to keep this list going. The band is going to keep on playing even when I'm back home soaking my feet.

Wish me luck.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #3951 on: March 03, 2016, 02:19:05 am »
    For real? As in no chart, no day by day sales? None of the features KDP offers?
    I just did the math for the KS contracted payout. Minimum payout is $417/month or your rights back. Are you allowed to take your rights back if you do meet those minimums?

...why would you want to?

I'm afraid I have to stand with Lexi on this, Blanche. I know that the Kindle Scout contract is pretty long and detailed and I won't know for sure how it works unless (crossing fingers) I get a chance to sign one - but as far as I am concerned it has taken me three years to figure out how to sell my indie-published books and I still have a long way to go. So I wouldn't be looking to pull the plug on Kindle Scout after only a year. I'm prepared to give them the time to invest in building this Kindle Scout program into something larger. Amazon is ALWAYS on the move forward. I hope to move forward with them.

I'm playing the long game with this.

Offline petersamuelbanks

• Brasilia, Brazil
      • View Profile
      • The Three Spheres Trilogy
    « Reply #3952 on: March 03, 2016, 02:26:37 am »
    Just nominated you. Best of luck!

Thank you!!! ;D

Offline Lexi Revellian

• London
      • View Profile
      • Lexi Revellian - my writing and other related matters...
    « Reply #3953 on: March 03, 2016, 06:14:27 am »
    I'm afraid I have to stand with Lexi on this, Blanche. I know that the Kindle Scout contract is pretty long and detailed and I won't know for sure how it works unless (crossing fingers) I get a chance to sign one - but as far as I am concerned it has taken me three years to figure out how to sell my indie-published books and I still have a long way to go. So I wouldn't be looking to pull the plug on Kindle Scout after only a year. I'm prepared to give them the time to invest in building this Kindle Scout program into something larger. Amazon is ALWAYS on the move forward. I hope to move forward with them.

Plus as a Kindle Scout author I've just received a really nice KS tee shirt which I shall wear with pride.

Offline Donna White Glaser

• The final mystery is oneself. -Oscar Wilde
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3954 on: March 03, 2016, 06:22:58 am »
    For real? As in no chart, no day by day sales? None of the features KDP offers?

I just did the math for the KS contracted payout. Minimum payout is $417/month or your rights back. Are you allowed to take your rights back if you do meet those minimums?

KDP is a service for self-pubbed authors.  Kindle Press is an imprint of Amazon, just as Thomas & Mercer or 47 North.  As such, the writers don't have the kind of day-to-day access that we SPers are glad to have. It is a drawback, but there are definitely compensations. :)  Kindle Press is a form of traditional publishing, I guess, or at least as much as Amazon will ever be.  With distinct advantages, though. That contract, for one. There are clearly spelled out revision clauses. Monthly payouts and a limited version of accounting for royalties, for another. Pros and cons to everything.  As an author, you have to decide which ones best suit your publishing model.  I love being self-pubbed. Truly love it. But I also have advantages as a Kindle Press author that I don't have on my own.

Offline Jack Wallen

• Louisville
    • Jack Wallen
      • View Profile
      • Get Jack'd
    « Reply #3955 on: March 03, 2016, 10:07:16 am »
    When I first realized I was going to submit to Kindle Scout a few weeks ago, my attitude was, "Oh this is awesome! It'll be easy and fun! Woooo!" Travel forward in time to today (I should be submitting my book tomorrow) and, as you all might expect, a certain nervous energy has decided it was time to kick me in the gut for a reality check. Now I look back on all of the "this is excruciating" posts and I am starting to understand. Hoo boy.

Wow! Did everyone experience that just before you submitted? Yes, it's an exciting nervous energy (like when you're about to run your first marathon), but it certainly caught me off guard for a hot minute.

I noticed I had a nomination open up, so to ease those nerves I nominated Debbie Cassidy's book. Lovely sample. :D

Is it tomorrow yet?

Crap...still Thursday.

Offline Armand Rosamilia

• Jacksonville Florida
      • View Profile
      • Armand Rosamilia
    « Reply #3956 on: March 03, 2016, 10:30:37 am »
    When I first realized I was going to submit to Kindle Scout a few weeks ago, my attitude was, "Oh this is awesome! It'll be easy and fun! Woooo!" Travel forward in time to today (I should be submitting my book tomorrow) and, as you all might expect, a certain nervous energy has decided it was time to kick me in the gut for a reality check. Now I look back on all of the "this is excruciating" posts and I am starting to understand. Hoo boy.

Wow! Did everyone experience that just before you submitted? Yes, it's an exciting nervous energy (like when you're about to run your first marathon), but it certainly caught me off guard for a hot minute.

I noticed I had a nomination open up, so to ease those nerves I nominated Debbie Cassidy's book. Lovely sample. :D

Is it tomorrow yet?

Crap...still Thursday.

You lost me at marathon

Armand
    Author. Horror. Heavy Metal. Zombies. M&M's.

Arm Cast Podcast: http://www.projectiradio.com/shows/arm-cast-podcast/

Offline blancheking

• View Profile
    « Reply #3957 on: March 03, 2016, 11:03:09 am »

Of course :) Like I said, I'm asking out of curiosity; it wouldn't be a terrible idea to try to understand the contract before pursuing it, right? I went into my last campaign unprepared, so I thought I'd fix that this time. :P

About the contract: I remember reading either in this forum or in a blog that the distribution rights are automatically renewed after 5 years, and the retraction clause I saw on KS's website stipulates that authors have a right to retract given misdistribution or nondistribution, but it doesn't say if retraction at will is an option after that or if ever. Does that means perpetual rights for amazon as long as profit margins are met, or is there a possibility of retraction after 5 years if case the author wants to pursue traditional publishing mediums?

Offline KeraEmory

• View Profile
    « Reply #3958 on: March 03, 2016, 11:06:14 am »
    I've been lurking on this thread almost as long as I've been on kboards, and I'm still not entirely sure I understand how this works. If anyone has time for an 'explain like I'm five', I'd appreciate it.

I get the sense a lot of it has to do with how much you can drive your own social media standing--is that true? If so, I'm definitely disqualified.

Offline blancheking

• View Profile
    « Reply #3959 on: March 03, 2016, 11:09:40 am »
    KDP is a service for self-pubbed authors.  Kindle Press is an imprint of Amazon, just as Thomas & Mercer or 47 North.  As such, the writers don't have the kind of day-to-day access that we SPers are glad to have. It is a drawback, but there are definitely compensations. :)  Kindle Press is a form of traditional publishing, I guess, or at least as much as Amazon will ever be.  With distinct advantages, though. That contract, for one. There are clearly spelled out revision clauses. Monthly payouts and a limited version of accounting for royalties, for another. Pros and cons to everything.  As an author, you have to decide which ones best suit your publishing model.  I love being self-pubbed. Truly love it. But I also have advantages as a Kindle Press author that I don't have on my own.

Thanks for the clarification  :D What would you say is your favorite part/ best advantage of Kindle Press? (How's their advertising/promotion plan?) What's the biggest drawback?

Offline blancheking

• View Profile
    « Reply #3960 on: March 03, 2016, 11:15:09 am »
    I've been lurking on this thread almost as long as I've been on kboards, and I'm still not entirely sure I understand how this works. If anyone has time for an 'explain like I'm five', I'd appreciate it.

I get the sense a lot of it has to do with how much you can drive your own social media standing--is that true? If so, I'm definitely disqualified.

How KS works:

1. You write a book and enter it here: https://kindlescout.amazon.com/
    2. Other people see your book, read the blurb and manuscript, and if they like it, they will click the "nominate" button
    3. Book stays available for nomination for 30 days; books with lots of nominations go into the "hot & trending" category
    4. After 30 days, the people in the Kindle Scout office look at all the books submitted, and they pick the ones they like to offer a contract to
    5. You will be contacted with the results of your campaign within 2 weeks after your campaign ends
    6. Someone else will explain what happens after you get a contract

Offline Jack Wallen

• Louisville
    • Jack Wallen
      • View Profile
      • Get Jack'd
    « Reply #3961 on: March 03, 2016, 11:17:00 am »
    You lost me at marathon

Armand

Looks like the marathon start will have to wait a bit. My editor wants to do a final, final proof (after the proofers have already proofed their proofs)...just to ensure it's as clean as possible. While she proofs, I get to go fetal and recite the alphabet over and over.

Offline KeraEmory

• View Profile
    « Reply #3962 on: March 03, 2016, 11:18:04 am »
    How KS works:

1. You write a book and enter it here: https://kindlescout.amazon.com/
    2. Other people see your book, read the blurb and manuscript, and if they like it, they will click the "nominate" button
    3. Book stays available for nomination for 30 days; books with lots of nominations go into the "hot & trending" category
    4. After 30 days, the people in the Kindle Scout office look at all the books submitted, and they pick the ones they like to offer a contract to
    5. You will be contacted with the results of your campaign within 2 weeks after your campaign ends
    6. Someone else will explain what happens after you get a contract

Thank you.

I assume the book has to not already be published elsewhere?

Offline blancheking

• View Profile
    « Reply #3963 on: March 03, 2016, 11:22:14 am »
    Thank you.

I assume the book has to not already be published elsewhere?

I think that's correct. Kindle Scout likes new books  :D Give it a try if you have a manuscript lying around.

Offline AliceS

• View Profile
    « Reply #3964 on: March 03, 2016, 11:30:13 am »
    I am almost ready to submit to Scout and realized my usual ebook setup check list probably didn't apply. A question to those already through the process - did you put in all the usual bits for your submission?

I am guessing no copyright page...how about table of contents, maps, acknowledgements, dedication? I put all of those in the back of my ebooks anyway, so it wouldn't affect the reading sample. And probably no ads for my other books. What about a thank you to the reader and request for reviews? I usually put one of those in the back too.

• View Profile
    « Reply #3965 on: March 03, 2016, 11:40:06 am »
    Thanks for the clarification  :D What would you say is your favorite part/ best advantage of Kindle Press? (How's their advertising/promotion plan?) What's the biggest drawback?

Best advantage, hands down for me, is opportunities to be promoted by Amazon Marketing. Some of the marketing my book's had has seemed to result in mild spikes. Things like a Featured Email, a spot in the Crime Fiction newsletter Amazon sends out. I'd say about the level of a ENT or the like.  It was put in a seasonal multi-author promo at Halloween, which was nice. The two "big daddy" promos are the Kindle Daily Deal and a Limited Time Offer, which is an ad that pops up in the wake screen of Kindle devises. My book had the latter, not the former and it was BB-level awesome. I think all of the marketing would have had greater results if I'd had the sense to have more than one book in the series up. (I had to finish up a book in my SP series before turning to my Blood Visions series.)

Downside? Control, of course. I like being able to price-pulse and discount for promos and I don't get to decide that for my Kindle Press book. I like being able to pop into my file to make a typo correction and republish in less than a day, whereas with KP I have to submit a request and so forth. And the campaign is hard. It's terribly debilitating--especially for introverted writer nerds-- to spend 30 days begging friends and strangers to nominate your book. It takes guts to stick your work up in front of all of those eyes and have it judged. It's an exercise in humility.

I'm happy. And our "winners' circle" of 119 KP authors in our FB group seem predominantly happy, too.  But it's not for everyone. Then again, what is?

Offline Bbates024

• View Profile
    « Reply #3966 on: March 03, 2016, 12:30:55 pm »
    Donna the more I hear you talk about it, the more I'm considering trying the program one more time. I have a pen name novel that I am working on and I figure why not, if nothing else maybe a feel people will pick it up in KU if it doesn't get selected.

I might give it a try, only thing I hate about select is waiting a month to find out what happens. Granted that will give me time to finish book two and storyboard book three in the series.

• View Profile
    « Reply #3967 on: March 03, 2016, 12:36:43 pm »
    It does help to have a sequel that's ready to self-pub. The plus side of the month-long campaign is that if you have other books in your backlist (under the same name) they get a very nice boost.

Offline Lexi Revellian

• London
      • View Profile
      • Lexi Revellian - my writing and other related matters...
    « Reply #3968 on: March 03, 2016, 01:43:44 pm »

From my recent experience, that is not true.

It's more about the quality of your writing, your cover, and whether you have written the sort of book Amazon thinks it can sell. Also the quality of the competing books on the site at the same time as yours.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #3969 on: March 03, 2016, 03:04:46 pm »
    I am almost ready to submit to Scout and realized my usual ebook setup check list probably didn't apply. A question to those already through the process - did you put in all the usual bits for your submission?

I am guessing no copyright page...how about table of contents, maps, acknowledgements, dedication? I put all of those in the back of my ebooks anyway, so it wouldn't affect the reading sample. And probably no ads for my other books. What about a thank you to the reader and request for reviews? I usually put one of those in the back too.

If you figure a table of contents is necessary, I don't see where it would hurt your chances. The same for acknowledgments and a dedication. As for a map, I think that might even be a plus for you.
    :)

Offline KGGiarratano

• View Profile
    « Reply #3970 on: March 03, 2016, 03:39:23 pm »
    From my recent experience, that is not true.

It's more about the quality of your writing, your cover, and whether you have written the sort of book Amazon thinks it can sell. Also the quality of the competing books on the site at the same time as yours.

THIS. Holy hell, this.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #3971 on: March 03, 2016, 04:30:00 pm »

Oh yes - I keep saying this over and over. It's a little perverse of me, I guess, given that I fought so hard for all of those big orange H&T bars - but really all I was doing was whatever I could do at the time to aid my effort. The lion's share of whether or not Kindle Scout is going to go for me or not comes down to strictly - do they like what's in my book - and - do they think it will sell.

You need a well-written novel, with a strong salable potential. It really helps to have an already established following and some good sales history.

All the orange bars do is show them that you know how to shake a tambourine and bang a drum. It doesn't hurt - but I really would not recommend depending upon H&T to see you through to an acceptance.

I'm pretty sure that Kelpie Dreams is a good salable product.

I am less confident in my sales history but I am hoping that I have done well enough. Mostly, I have tried my best to be a good ambassador for Kindle Scout.

We'll see where all of this gets come sometime next week or so.
    :)

Offline Jack Wallen

• Louisville
    • Jack Wallen
      • View Profile
      • Get Jack'd
    « Reply #3972 on: March 03, 2016, 04:35:25 pm »

Mostly, I have tried my best to be a good ambassador for Kindle Scout.

From what I've read on this lengthy forum, you've done just that in spades. I'd say your campaign could easily be used a model for anyone hoping for success (wink, wink, nudge, nudge...I've learned a thing or two from what you've done).

Offline lbclark75

• View Profile
    « Reply #3973 on: March 03, 2016, 04:59:42 pm »

They say to submit the ready-to-be-published manuscript. Put in everything...copyright page, maps, TOC, back matter. They will select the pertinent part to post for the campaign.

Offline blancheking

• View Profile
    « Reply #3974 on: March 03, 2016, 05:45:46 pm »
    Best advantage, hands down for me, is opportunities to be promoted by Amazon Marketing. Some of the marketing my book's had has seemed to result in mild spikes. Things like a Featured Email, a spot in the Crime Fiction newsletter Amazon sends out. I'd say about the level of a ENT or the like.  It was put in a seasonal multi-author promo at Halloween, which was nice. The two "big daddy" promos are the Kindle Daily Deal and a Limited Time Offer, which is an ad that pops up in the wake screen of Kindle devises. My book had the latter, not the former and it was BB-level awesome. I think all of the marketing would have had greater results if I'd had the sense to have more than one book in the series up. (I had to finish up a book in my SP series before turning to my Blood Visions series.)

Downside? Control, of course. I like being able to price-pulse and discount for promos and I don't get to decide that for my Kindle Press book. I like being able to pop into my file to make a typo correction and republish in less than a day, whereas with KP I have to submit a request and so forth. And the campaign is hard. It's terribly debilitating--especially for introverted writer nerds-- to spend 30 days begging friends and strangers to nominate your book. It takes guts to stick your work up in front of all of those eyes and have it judged. It's an exercise in humility.

I'm happy. And our "winners' circle" of 119 KP authors in our FB group seem predominantly happy, too.  But it's not for everyone. Then again, what is?

This is great information, thank you. I'll have to save this post somewhere. I have two manuscripts in the works and I was debating whether to enter a stand-alone, the second novel of a series,or to forego KS until I have a few more novels under my belt. Based on your information, it seems the better idea is to throw in a 2nd or 3rd book in a series. I'm also a fan of KDP's quick turn around for updates and typos, so that's something to note, though I had no idea KS provided so many ad services.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement