Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2316448 times)  

Offline P. Walter Gagnon

• https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/3MSQQAE4NP0QV
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences, anyone?
« Reply #4150 on: March 14, 2016, 08:23:50 am »
OMG! I got selected! Got the email this morning! It's school run time and I just spent two minutes dancing around the living room. What now? Gah! When they say tax info does that mean my UK Unique tax reference? I have an EIN for my partnership author stuff but not one for myself, can I use my UK tax reference or do I need to get an EIN for myself and if so how do I go about it? Sorry, kinda flustered. Gonna go caffienate now.

Fantastic news!   Congratulations to a great author.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline P. Walter Gagnon

• View Profile
    « Reply #4151 on: March 14, 2016, 08:47:10 am »
    As I not so patiently wait to hear back now that my time in hell has ended I noticed a few things and I thought I should share with the people who are still frantically refreshing.

First and most important, there are ALWAYS 20 books in the Hot and Trending section.  That means it's more like a runners heat where the top 20 people move on to the next round regardless of the time.  For my example let's assume that every view is a nomination.  You had 100 views from the day before and no time in H&T.  That just means that 20 people had 101 or more views for that particular day.  The next day you have 50 views and have 24 hours in H&T so you were in the top 20 for the day and everyone else had less.  Technically you could be number one for the day with 1,000 views but 19 other people had 10 views and everyone else had 9 or less.  There really is no way to tell how many it takes on any particular day so if you are advertising and want to see the H&T go up pay attention to the day of the week that numbers seem to be higher and lower compared to the H&T.

Second.  They update H&T every hour on the half hour.  I do not know how that relates to numbers but that is when I noticed movement on my android.  I checked the first and last books during the hour and they were always the same then approximately on the half hour those would change.  On my computer it changed all the time so I had no idea at first.  At least that is what I noticed.

If anyone else notices something different, please let me know.  Hope this helps.

Offline editorjmv

• Minnesota
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4152 on: March 14, 2016, 11:10:40 am »
    If anyone else notices something different, please let me know.  Hope this helps.

It does resolve the confusion, yes...thanks very much for posting this. (I'm not overly concerned about the issue, but I was curious.)

Joan

Joan Marie Verba | website

Offline Andy Mulberry

• It never rains in California.
      • View Profile
      • Andy Mulberry
    « Reply #4153 on: March 14, 2016, 01:00:27 pm »
    Congrats to Debbie--another free read I'll be looking forward to :)

And thanks to everyone here who nominated my YA novel :) It's the last three days for me. For those that like stats: I've had ZERO hours in H&T and 1.5k views. I did little in terms of beating the drum and we shall see what the Amazon gods make of it when the campaign ends.

Offline Jack Wallen

• Louisville
    • Jack Wallen
      • View Profile
      • Get Jack'd
    « Reply #4154 on: March 14, 2016, 01:30:49 pm »
    Suicide Station ‪‎KindleScout‬ update, day 5! A bit about character influence and Facebook ad oddities.

http://monkeypantz.net/kindle-scout-update-day-5/
    « Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 02:56:09 pm by Jack Wallen »

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
    • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #4155 on: March 14, 2016, 01:55:25 pm »
    Congratulations to Debbie!

As Steve mentioned, my campaign for Modern Surprises has ended and I'm awaiting a notification.

In the meantime, I noticed something interesting about my "Hot and Trending" statistics. Check out the graphic. Note that the day that I had over 60 page visits in one day, the novel did NOT have any H&T hours, but when it had H&T hours, the page visits were UNDER 60 for each of those days.

Joan

All right - so I missed one book on the list and forgot to mention Jack Prentiss's name with his book. Blame it on my lack of coffee. I've fixed that now.

As for the difference between views and Hot & Trending let me flip back to that metaphor I used before.

A view is when I stick my head in the room where Joan is holding her SUPPORT MY KINDLE SCOUT campaign. I take a quick peek around and then leave.

A nomination is when I walk right into the room and slap a ten dollar bill onto the table in front of Joan and announce in a big loud voice - "YOU'VE GOT MY SUPPORT, JOAN! STEVE VERNON HAS GOT YOUR BACK!"

So - in the case of your sixty views with ZERO Hot & Trending, sixty people stuck their head in and looked around but did NOT nominate you, ten bucks or not.
    :)

(And no, it doesn't cost a dime to nominate anyone - this is just a metaphor).

I had that in my campaign. I had a big HeadTalker that lead to almost 100 views and netted me maybe three hours Hot & Trending. Views are just how many people took a peek. The nominations - which Amazon keeps hidden, probably just so folks don't get into arguments - are what show up on the Hot & Trending.

At least that's how I see it.

So, next campaign put someone by the door with a big old stick, Joan. Somebody sticks there head in the door, whack them and take their wallet.

Offline editorjmv

• Minnesota
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4156 on: March 14, 2016, 06:43:21 pm »

As for the difference between views and Hot & Trending let me flip back to that metaphor I used before.

I see:  the difference is that Hot and Trending would be linked to nominations instead of page views. That would account for it. Thanks, Steve.

While waiting for a message from Kindle Scout, I thought I would test out some cover alternatives. I prefer the cover I used for the campaign, and some have reacted favorably to it. Others have said that it appears to be the cover of a computer manual instead of the cover of a novel (personally, I think it's perfectly fine for a science fiction novel about a tech company to resemble the cover of a computer manual, but others may have different views). So, I'm posting both the cover I used for the campaign (the one I prefer), and another possible cover. If anyone has an opinion, feel free.

Thanks again,
    Joan

Offline Bbates024

• View Profile
    « Reply #4157 on: March 14, 2016, 07:25:37 pm »
    I have also found that a lot of books get in hot and trending for the last couple of days. There are a ton of people that just wait for books to get into the final few days to nominate them so they can get them for free if they win.

That doesn't mean your book doesn't deserve it (it does) it just means that some of the folks are nominating only things at the end of their campaigns.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #4158 on: March 15, 2016, 01:38:14 am »
    I have also found that a lot of books get in hot and trending for the last couple of days. There are a ton of people that just wait for books to get into the final few days to nominate them so they can get them for free if they win.

That doesn't mean your book doesn't deserve it (it does) it just means that some of the folks are nominating only things at the end of their campaigns.

Another factor is that Kindle Scout has an ENDING SOON list right on the cover page, just below the HOT AND TRENDING list. So you can get a bit of a chain reaction happening. Your book shows up on the ENDING SOON and enjoys the attentions of those last day bargain hunters gambling on a free book, and then shows up on the HOT AND TRENDING and enjoys the attentions of the last day quality hunters. It's a cool little set-up that way. Then too, the kboards list that I've been running also encourages a bit of last days action in the Hot & Trending.

(Thirty days and I think I'm a freaking expert. How male of me is that???)

8)

Hey Joan - I like the new cover better than the old. Although I think you might do better than the new one as well. Your computer cover - at a quick glance, which is all a LOT of prospective readers are going to give you - does say "computer manual" or "marketing handbook".

Your first cover - if you stop and look hard - does say scifi more than the second cover - but the second cover says NOVEL a lot more than the first cover does. I know what you were figuring. You like the first cover because it is unique and you're right, it is unique. But it risks being misunderstood.

The second cover is eye-catching, but a bit generic. It says NOVEL but it doesn't necessarily say SCI-FI to me.

Covers are ALWAYS going to be a compromise. I think I've got a pretty good cover for KELPIE DREAMS, but I keep rethinking that decision as well - especially when I start thinking about what Book 2 is going to look like. I hate indecision. I want my computer to give me a big freaking trumpet fanfare when I make the right decision on something so that I know it for sure.

Wonder if there's an app for that?

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #4159 on: March 15, 2016, 01:45:58 am »
    Okay, so I've heard from the folks at Kindle Scout regarding my editing. My editor is looking at the manuscript and I will hear back from that by the first week of April.

They also have sent me a link to set up my Amazon Press banking info.

They act fast. That's good. I like fast.

Meanwhile, I've started working on my second novel in the Kelpie series.

Let's get on with the list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

2 days left Fire Girl by Andy Mulberry
    4 days left The Second Sphere by Peter S. Banks
    5 days left Summer Love, Winter Tears by Carol Collins
    5 days left The Creation: Let There Be Death by The Behrg
    5 days left The Risk it Takes to Blossom by Tani Hanes
    13 days left God of Chains by JR Armstrong
    13 days left American Terrorist by Wesley Robert Lowe
    16 days left Kells Hitchin' by Maddison L. Beckley
    19 days left The Sublime Freedom by A.D. Davies
    23 days left Suicide Station by Jack Wallen
    23 days left Just One Kiss by Amelia Whitmore
    23 days left Odd Adventures With Your Other Father by Norman Prentiss
    26 days left The Deimos Virus: Target Earth by Leonard D. Hilley II

If I have missed anyone please let me know.

Happy scouting to you!

Offline Cassidy

• England, United Kingdom
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4160 on: March 15, 2016, 03:24:56 am »
    I see:  the difference is that Hot and Trending would be linked to nominations instead of page views. That would account for it. Thanks, Steve.

While waiting for a message from Kindle Scout, I thought I would test out some cover alternatives. I prefer the cover I used for the campaign, and some have reacted favorably to it. Others have said that it appears to be the cover of a computer manual instead of the cover of a novel (personally, I think it's perfectly fine for a science fiction novel about a tech company to resemble the cover of a computer manual, but others may have different views). So, I'm posting both the cover I used for the campaign (the one I prefer), and another possible cover. If anyone has an opinion, feel free.

Thanks again,
    Joan

Hi Joan, I nominated your book because I loved the excerpt, but honestly would have thought it was non-fiction based on the cover if I hadn't already known, going in, what your book was about. I think the hole most of us fall into is picking a cover we like, not one that fits the market and that would appeal to readers. I'm also a cover designer and I see a lot of gorgeous covers that don't actually tell you anything about the genre or fail to be evocative enough to click on. In my humble opinion, I would suggest changing it. The one below is much better and says fiction to me but not necessarily sci-fi tech. If you can find a balance then you will be good to go. There are some great sci-fi tech stock images you could use as a base if you wanted to design it yourself. As I said this is just my humble opinion, so please feel free to ignore it, I mean no offence.  :D
    Check out Forest of Demons on Kindle Scout :D https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/XCA3VZMEAL5P

Offline P. Walter Gagnon

• View Profile
    « Reply #4161 on: March 15, 2016, 04:04:38 am »
    Ah well, so ends my Kindle Scout experience.  It is not just the amount of time spent in the hot and trending section or the amount of views that matter most.  The final word comes from the Kindle gods and I have been judged and found unworthy. Congratulations to all of those that have made it and I will definitely try again.  Thank you all for the support and I'll see you again when I finish my next great American novel.

For some reason I can't post an attachment but my numbers were 237 hours and 6.1k views. 

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #4162 on: March 15, 2016, 04:11:30 am »
    Ah well, so ends my Kindle Scout experience.  It is not just the amount of time spent in the hot and trending section or the amount of views that matter most.  The final word comes from the Kindle gods and I have been judged and found unworthy. Congratulations to all of those that have made it and I will definitely try again.  Thank you all for the support and I'll see you again when I finish my next great American novel.

For some reason I can't post an attachment but my numbers were 237 hours and 6.1k views. 

Sorry you did not make it, Walter.

If it is any consolation it took me two kicks at the can to get in there - so I would say that it's worth trying again.

Offline tamaraheiner

• Bella Vista, AR
      • View Profile
      • My blog
    « Reply #4163 on: March 15, 2016, 07:15:20 am »
    W-A-A-A-A-H-O-O-O!!!

Time to celebrate with some take-out schwarma and a tray full of maple cupcakes.

I am a happy man!!!

:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

I got my notification a few days ago. Good for you for sticking it in there and trying again! Can't wait for my free copy! sounds like a great book.
    I'm a mom, an editor, a wife, and an author. Literature isn't my life, but it's pretty close.

http://www.tamarahartheiner.com

Offline AliceS

• View Profile
    « Reply #4164 on: March 15, 2016, 07:28:32 am »
    Submitted to Scout last night. The entry form froze up on me and gave me fits...I hope that's not a bad omen.

Thanks to everyone here for all the info and advice! I am about to join the ranks!

Offline Bbates024

• View Profile
    « Reply #4165 on: March 15, 2016, 07:34:12 am »

That's a really strong campaign. I know when I ran mine I was 50% H&T and something like 3k page views. So you knocked it out of the park number wise.

I really think they are looking for people with at least some kind of base already, and you have to have something they think they can sell in a pretty hot category. While they only have to recoup a 2500 investment I am sure they are trying to build a seperate brand and every book they get that stays hot boosts that brand.

I can tell you all hope is not lost when you lose. Ascendancy the Arena made it to 1100 in the Kindle store after losing. So your book can do extremely well even after a failed campaign.

Good luck with your release.

Offline LeonardDHilleyII

• Author of Sci-fi Thrillers/Fantasy/Urban Fantasy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4166 on: March 15, 2016, 08:20:18 am »

My condolences. Mine received the same fate, but I have uploaded to KDP and paperback is in process. Awesome stats you had!!! A lot of people have shown an interest, so get it out there. :)

Offline LeonardDHilleyII

• Author of Sci-fi Thrillers/Fantasy/Urban Fantasy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4167 on: March 15, 2016, 08:21:33 am »
    Submitted to Scout last night. The entry form froze up on me and gave me fits...I hope that's not a bad omen.

Thanks to everyone here for all the info and advice! I am about to join the ranks!

I have my second book in there. Glitched like crazy. Only one day of results for the campaign when there should be three days of results. I've contacted them twice. Good luck!!!

Offline thesios

• View Profile
    « Reply #4168 on: March 15, 2016, 09:49:04 am »
    My stats are not updating , anyone else ?

Offline Jeanne McNamee

• First Class Procrastinator
      • View Profile
      • Jeanne's official website
    « Reply #4169 on: March 15, 2016, 10:01:20 am »
    W-A-A-A-A-H-O-O-O!!!

Time to celebrate with some take-out schwarma and a tray full of maple cupcakes.

I am a happy man!!!

:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

Great news and well deserved! Congrats!

Offline Jack Wallen

• Louisville
    • Jack Wallen
      • View Profile
      • Get Jack'd
    « Reply #4170 on: March 15, 2016, 10:53:24 am »
    Anyone care to trade off guest blog posts?

Offline editorjmv

• Minnesota
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4171 on: March 15, 2016, 12:55:50 pm »
    I've made another attempt at a cover. Opinions welcome.

Joan

Offline Jack Wallen

• Louisville
    • Jack Wallen
      • View Profile
      • Get Jack'd
    « Reply #4172 on: March 15, 2016, 01:57:07 pm »
    Suicide Station #KindleScout Week 1 wrap up Jack Verse style!

http://monkeypantz.net/jack-verse-kindle-scout-week-1-wrap-up/

Offline Norman Prentiss

• View Profile
      • Norman Prentiss
    « Reply #4173 on: March 15, 2016, 03:04:23 pm »
    I've made another attempt at a cover. Opinions welcome.

Joan

Joan,

That's by far my favorite of the 3 you've posted!

Bram Stoker Award Winner for INVISIBLE FENCES and "In the Porches of My Ears"
    Norman Prentiss | Author Website | Facebook

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #4174 on: March 16, 2016, 01:44:23 am »
    All right.

It's hump day - and due to the schedule Thursday is going to be my Friday.

Let's get on with the list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

1 day left Fire Girl by Andy Mulberry
    3 days left The Second Sphere by Peter S. Banks
    4 days left Summer Love, Winter Tears by Carol Collins
    4 days left The Creation: Let There Be Death by The Behrg
    4 days left The Risk it Takes to Blossom by Tani Hanes
    12 days left God of Chains by JR Armstrong
    12 days left American Terrorist by Wesley Robert Lowe
    15 days left Kells Hitchin' by Maddison L. Beckley
    18 days left The Sublime Freedom by A.D. Davies
    22 days left Suicide Station by Jack Wallen
    22 days left Just One Kiss by Amelia Whitmore
    22 days left Odd Adventures With Your Other Father by Norman Prentiss
    25 days left The Deimos Virus: Target Earth by Leonard D. Hilley II

If I have missed anyone please let me know.

Happy scouting to you!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement