Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2315592 times)  

Offline editorjmv

• Minnesota
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences, anyone?
« Reply #4175 on: March 16, 2016, 07:15:50 am »
Received the message this morning: Kindle Scout has declined to publish Modern Surprises. My total page views were 553 and it was in the Hot and Trending category for 54 hours.

I'm not overly disappointed in this development, since I knew when I started that the process would be difficult. And, even after going all out and having a social media reach of over 100,000, I gathered only 553 page views (and undoubtedly fewer nominations). That would make me hesitate to try again, as I don't think I could improve on that.

However, now I can release it myself, which has the advantage that I can change the cover art whenever I wish, and I can update the manuscript (e.g. correct errors), whenever I wish.

My thanks to everyone here for their help, support, and advice. I do plan to continue reading this board. My best to everyone.

Joan

Joan Marie Verba | website

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Jack Wallen

• Louisville
    • Jack Wallen
      • View Profile
      • Get Jack'd
    « Reply #4176 on: March 16, 2016, 08:45:59 am »
    Kindle Scout Update: Day 7 http://monkeypantz.net/kindle-scout-update-day-7/  a small helping of cheese with your romance.

Offline petersamuelbanks

• Brasilia, Brazil
      • View Profile
      • The Three Spheres Trilogy
    « Reply #4177 on: March 16, 2016, 10:54:28 am »
    Jack, I don't think this is cheesy at all. You're right. It's refreshing to be in a supportive environment where everyone roots for everyone else. You don't find that in many places.

Cheers,

Pete

Offline JR.

• View Profile
      • jrarmstrong.co
    « Reply #4178 on: March 16, 2016, 11:27:55 am »
    And, even after going all out and having a social media reach of over 100,000, I gathered only 553 page views (and undoubtedly fewer nominations). That would make me hesitate to try again, as I don't think I could improve on that.

I guess we all have our own goals. I have no illusions about being selected, but I put it in Scout to get a few extra eyes on the book, as I have close to no 'social media reach' at all. So the views I already have mean I won't consider the endeavour a failure when it is not picked up by Amazon in a few weeks.

Offline editorjmv

• Minnesota
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4179 on: March 16, 2016, 11:49:27 am »
    Oh, I don't consider my Kindle Scout attempt a failure at all. I got a lot of support from a lot of very kind people (this includes the kind people on this board).

However, I would rethink my strategy before trying it again, given that the social reach from this attempt did not result in a proportionate number of page views.

Joan

Offline Jack Wallen

• Louisville
    • Jack Wallen
      • View Profile
      • Get Jack'd
    « Reply #4180 on: March 16, 2016, 12:31:36 pm »
    Jack, I don't think this is cheesy at all. You're right. It's refreshing to be in a supportive environment where everyone roots for everyone else. You don't find that in many places.

Cheers,

Pete

Thank you, Pete. :D

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
    • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #4181 on: March 16, 2016, 12:35:17 pm »
    Sorry to hear that they didn't grab up MODERN SURPRISES, Joan.
    :(

Offline Norman Prentiss

• View Profile
      • Norman Prentiss
    « Reply #4182 on: March 16, 2016, 03:10:20 pm »
    Kindle Scout Update: Day 7 http://monkeypantz.net/kindle-scout-update-day-7/  a small helping of cheese with your romance.
    I liked this entry a lot, Jack! There's something really affirming about the author-reader support that comes out in this process, despite how nerve-wracking it can be!

--Norman

Bram Stoker Award Winner for INVISIBLE FENCES and "In the Porches of My Ears"
    Norman Prentiss | Author Website | Facebook

Offline Norman Prentiss

• View Profile
      • Norman Prentiss
    « Reply #4183 on: March 16, 2016, 03:15:02 pm »
    Somebody tell me I haven't done something incredibly stupid... I just agreed to re-schedule my upcoming open-heart surgery so it hits during the last week of my Kindle Scout campaign.   :o

--Norman

Offline Bbates024

• View Profile
    « Reply #4184 on: March 16, 2016, 03:18:38 pm »
    Somebody tell me I haven't done something incredibly stupid... I just agreed to re-schedule my upcoming open-heart surgery so it hits during the last week of my Kindle Scout campaign.   :o

--Norman

That's probably a good time for it, gotta get the ticker working so you can handle the stress!  :P

Offline misstante

• View Profile
    « Reply #4185 on: March 16, 2016, 04:14:44 pm »
    I can't believe I'm just now finding this forum! My book, "Making Arrangements" has been up on Kindle Scout for a week now and I agree with Christy, my stomach is in knots! I am the most obnoxious person, not only begging friends for votes but asking them to beg for votes too. Auurrrgghh - how long can I sustain this? Too wired to sleep! So glad to find you guys!

Ferris Robinson | facebook | website

Offline misstante

• View Profile
    « Reply #4186 on: March 16, 2016, 04:21:43 pm »
    Hope I'm posting in the right spot - my book, "Making Arrangements" is on Kindle Scout - starting my second week! It's nerve wracking! Glad to find this thread!

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2NIJJ1MPR9C62

Offline Norman Prentiss

• View Profile
      • Norman Prentiss
    « Reply #4187 on: March 16, 2016, 04:25:53 pm »
    That's probably a good time for it, gotta get the ticker working so you can handle the stress!  :P
    Thanks, Bradford:  I think you might be right!! :)

Offline editorjmv

• Minnesota
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4188 on: March 16, 2016, 05:59:18 pm »
    For those of us who are self-publishing after a campaign did not lead to a Kindle Press publication, I got a worthwhile suggestion today that I thought I would share.

When I publish Modern Surprises to Kindle, I plan to take the KDP Select option (for the first 90 days anyway) and use some or all of the 5 free days for a promotion. Someone on Twitter suggested that I time my announcement that my book is available to those free days so that those who click on the link right away will get a free ebook.

Joan

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #4189 on: March 16, 2016, 06:44:48 pm »
    For those of us who are self-publishing after a campaign did not lead to a Kindle Press publication, I got a worthwhile suggestion today that I thought I would share.

When I publish Modern Surprises to Kindle, I plan to take the KDP Select option (for the first 90 days anyway) and use some or all of the 5 free days for a promotion. Someone on Twitter suggested that I time my announcement that my book is available to those free days so that those who click on the link right away will get a free ebook.

Joan

Strikes me as a good plan. I'd also recommend throwing in a bit of promotion. DEFINITELY book a $5.00 promo with bknights to coincide with the first or second free day.

Offline Jack Wallen

• Louisville
    • Jack Wallen
      • View Profile
      • Get Jack'd
    « Reply #4190 on: March 16, 2016, 06:52:13 pm »

--Norman

Are those one and the same?

I kid. Best of luck on both (especially the surgery). :D

Offline Norman Prentiss

• View Profile
      • Norman Prentiss
    « Reply #4191 on: March 16, 2016, 07:40:02 pm »
    Are those one and the same?

I kid. Best of luck on both (especially the surgery). :D

You're right, Jack--that analogy really holds!  Thanks for the good wishes.  :)

Offline Lexi Revellian

• London
      • View Profile
      • Lexi Revellian - my writing and other related matters...
    « Reply #4192 on: March 17, 2016, 12:28:39 am »

--Norman

Seems a very sensible plan to me, Norman - when you find yourself worrying about one, you can worry about the other to take your mind off it. And think how nice it'll be when they are both over.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #4193 on: March 17, 2016, 04:02:53 am »
    Norman Prentiss - take care of yourself, man. Heart surgery is a bear.

On my side of things I've just heard from the folks at Kindle Scout. I will be talking on the telephone with Kindle Scout early tomorrow evening. This is so darned exciting.

Let's get on with the list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

LAST DAY LEFT Fire Girl by Andy Mulberry
    2 days left The Second Sphere by Peter S. Banks
    3 days left Summer Love, Winter Tears by Carol Collins
    3 days left The Creation: Let There Be Death by The Behrg
    3 days left The Risk it Takes to Blossom by Tani Hanes
    11 days left God of Chains by JR Armstrong
    11 days left American Terrorist by Wesley Robert Lowe
    14 days left Kells Hitchin' by Maddison L. Beckley
    17 days left The Sublime Freedom by A.D. Davies
    21 days left Suicide Station by Jack Wallen
    21 days left Just One Kiss by Amelia Whitmore
    21 days left Odd Adventures With Your Other Father by Norman Prentiss
    24 days left The Deimos Virus: Target Earth by Leonard D. Hilley II

If I have missed anyone please let me know.

Happy scouting to you!

Offline Cassidy

• England, United Kingdom
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4194 on: March 17, 2016, 06:36:19 am »
    How is everyone, doing? I'm just waiting for some nominations to free up so I can nominate the next two on the list. Good luck to those at the top and almost at the finish line.
    Update from me - Forest of Demons is with the editors and I'm scheduled a call from Kindle Press on Monday evening. Meanwhile I'm hard at work sorting out the launch for book two in my Pendragon series at the end of this month while trying to finish off the follow up to Forest of Demons. It's hectic but I'm too excited to be stressed, lol.
    I'll be back to put in some nominations tomorrow, off to write now  :D
    Check out Forest of Demons on Kindle Scout :D https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/XCA3VZMEAL5P

Offline Norman Prentiss

• View Profile
      • Norman Prentiss
    « Reply #4195 on: March 17, 2016, 07:28:12 am »
    Seems a very sensible plan to me, Norman - when you find yourself worrying about one, you can worry about the other to take your mind off it. And think how nice it'll be when they are both over.

Especially if they're both successful, ha!

Offline Jack Wallen

• Louisville
    • Jack Wallen
      • View Profile
      • Get Jack'd
    « Reply #4196 on: March 17, 2016, 12:10:03 pm »
    Suicide Station Kindle Scout update: Day 8.

We are go for sexy time.

http://monkeypantz.net/kindle-scout-update-day-8/

Offline TheBehrg

• View Profile
    « Reply #4197 on: March 17, 2016, 02:01:21 pm »

I guess we all have our own goals. I have no illusions about being selected, but I put it in Scout to get a few extra eyes on the book, as I have close to no 'social media reach' at all. So the views I already have mean I won't consider the endeavour a failure when it is not picked up by Amazon in a few weeks.

I think you've hit on one of the keys to this program - win or lose, you're picking up additional exposure, spreading your name and body of works. In that regard there really are no losers, everyone is gaining something for going through the KS process. This alone is why I submitted a second book into the program, one that doesn't fit into an easily identifiable category. Because hey, one extra reader, one additional pair of eyeballs, is worth a gut wrenching thirty day stress-induced hernia.

The Behrg | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline misstante

• View Profile
    « Reply #4198 on: March 17, 2016, 06:56:08 pm »
    Starting my second week with "Making Arrangements" on Kindle Scout. I tried to make a little pic of the cover with a link but can't figure it out - very low tech here. I've paid for a twitter service on fiverr (not one page view from that so far) and am being pretty obnoxious about begging friends to vote. Also I made an event on Facebook that seems to being shared somewhat, and I've posted to Pinterst but no results there so far. Racking my brain! On hot and trending, but can't figure out why my page views are down to zero?
    HOpefully somebody here can explain that, but in the meantime I'll just keep plugging away.
     So thrilled to find this forum!
    https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2NIJJ1MPR9C62

Offline RJFaulkner

• Oxford, MS
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4199 on: March 17, 2016, 07:00:24 pm »
    Hello all.
    I have been lurking here for quite a while, gathering all of the outstanding info on the submission process to Kindle Scout. Haven't felt the need to poke my head into the conversation until I had something to add to it. I've been fairly successful picking winners and got a few free books from some of this group's offerings. Hoping to score The Behrg's book The Creation in a couple of days.

I have decided once my latest novel is finished with edits I will try for a Kindle Scout campaign of my own. In the mean time I have an available nomination that I can use if anyone has the need for it.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement