Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2336592 times)  

Offline AliceS

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences, anyone?
« Reply #4225 on: March 19, 2016, 08:08:24 am »
I am still planning the Kindle Scout section of my site

All ur books are welcome to be it ;)  I just need you asin numbers

I don't think Scout gives ASIN #s. At least, I don't see any on my book. But they do have links, so I guess you can use those.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Bbates024

• View Profile
    « Reply #4226 on: March 19, 2016, 10:12:47 am »
    Yep no ASIN on kindle Scout. They won't assign one of those until it goes live on Amazon.

Offline thesios

• View Profile
    « Reply #4227 on: March 19, 2016, 04:51:28 pm »
    Yes I know there are no asin during nominations

Hopefully u get picked , but if not please remember me and I will add ur newly minted asin and your book in my site.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
    • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #4228 on: March 20, 2016, 02:40:29 am »
    I had a great sleep last night. I feel fresh and revitalized. I wrote 3000 words on my new novel on Friday and 1000 yesterday. I want to put another 1000 words on the novel this morning before heading to work - so let's get on with the list, shall we?

Good luck to you, Peter S. Banks as you wait for the final decision on THE SECOND SPHERE.

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

LAST DAY LEFT Summer Love, Winter Tears by Carol Collins
    LAST DAY LEFT The Creation: Let There Be Death by The Behrg
    LAST DAY LEFT The Risk it Takes to Blossom by Tani Hanes
    8 days left God of Chains by JR Armstrong
    8 days left American Terrorist by Wesley Robert Lowe
    11 days left Kells Hitchin' by Maddison L. Beckley
    14 days left The Sublime Freedom by A.D. Davies
    18 days left Suicide Station by Jack Wallen
    18 days left Just One Kiss by Amelia Whitmore
    18 days left Odd Adventures With Your Other Father by Norman Prentiss
    19 days left Making Arrangements by Ferris Robinson
    21 days left The Deimos Virus: Target Earth by Leonard D. Hilley II
    27 days left Facade by Alice Sabo

I put this list up every morning and strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts.

This way folks can readily check out the kboarder members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind.

If I have missed anyone please let me know.

Happy scouting to you all!

Offline A. N. Other Author

• Staffordshire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4229 on: March 20, 2016, 02:50:00 am »
    I haven't been in hot and trending yet, so I'm guessing I haven't done a great job on the cover/description. Or maybe people just don't like the premise at all. So I'll take that on board before releasing it and test it a lot more.

Offline thesios

• View Profile
    « Reply #4230 on: March 20, 2016, 05:33:57 am »
    I got to pimp Amelia's Just one Kiss Thunferclap

===>>>    http://thndr.me/ePTJqy     <<<=====

I really hope second time thru the scout is the one

Offline misstante

• View Profile
    « Reply #4231 on: March 20, 2016, 06:35:33 am »
    Does anyone know how to track the page views? I see them but there are several groups from Facebook that just link to the general site. I'd love to tell what's working best - my paid ad or my event or my home page. For what it's worth, I have a paid Twitter promotion that so far is not worth the money, and I created an 'event' and invited folks to it. And I've sent emails to my contacts asking them to vote and share my info. Printing bookmarks Monday (a little late on the draw but better late than never, hopefully) and that's it so far. May run a giveaway with another ebook my last week. And I"m going to try and figure out how to post my book cover at the bottom of my email like everyone seems to be able to do but me! Sooooo low tech!
    This is a great forum - so supportive and helpful. Thanks and good luck to all!
    Ferris Robinson

Ferris Robinson | facebook | website

Offline AliceS

• View Profile
    « Reply #4232 on: March 20, 2016, 08:14:51 am »
    I didn't realize there was such a lag on reporting. I knew my first day had views, people told me so, but they didn't show up until today. Whew! It was a relief to finally see some numbers in there.

Offline Cindy Rinaman Marsch

• Slippery Rock, PA, USA
    • Happy Debut Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Rosette: A Novel of Pioneer Michigan
    « Reply #4233 on: March 20, 2016, 09:49:51 am »
    Does anyone know how to track the page views? I see them but there are several groups from Facebook that just link to the general site. I'd love to tell what's working best - my paid ad or my event or my home page. For what it's worth, I have a paid Twitter promotion that so far is not worth the money, and I created an 'event' and invited folks to it. And I've sent emails to my contacts asking them to vote and share my info. Printing bookmarks Monday (a little late on the draw but better late than never, hopefully) and that's it so far. May run a giveaway with another ebook my last week. And I"m going to try and figure out how to post my book cover at the bottom of my email like everyone seems to be able to do but me! Sooooo low tech!
    This is a great forum - so supportive and helpful. Thanks and good luck to all!
    Ferris Robinson

Ferris, on your own Kindle Scout page, click on "Your Campaign" at the top and then "View all Stats." That's how you can see your bar graph each day and, in the list below, see where all your traffic is coming from. I printed this report out each day so I could see incrementally how many came on a particular day from a particular KBoards page or a particular FB page. You have to watch it ongoing, because each day just shows the total of all the days up to that day. I was able to pinpoint the effect of several promotional activities I did, based on the source of the original viewer's jumping-off place.

ROSETTE: A NOVEL OF PIONEER MICHIGAN and "Blizzard: A Story of Dakota Territory"
    Cindy Rinaman Marsch | ROSETTE website for both books | Moraine's Edge Books for author services | KBoards Yellow Pages Entry

Offline Cindy Rinaman Marsch

• Slippery Rock, PA, USA
    • Happy Debut Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Rosette: A Novel of Pioneer Michigan
    « Reply #4234 on: March 20, 2016, 09:52:09 am »

The judging committee said that KELPIE DREAMS was a "funny, exciting, romantic adventure with a complicated protagonist who you could really root for".

I'm going to write a bit more about the conversation and the release plans on my blog later today - but I am REALLY excited and impressed with how well organized the Kindle Scout and Kindle Press crew are and I am very excited to work with them again in the future.

Congrats, Steve. I enjoyed the blog post! :-)

ROSETTE: A NOVEL OF PIONEER MICHIGAN and "Blizzard: A Story of Dakota Territory"
    Cindy Rinaman Marsch | ROSETTE website for both books | Moraine's Edge Books for author services | KBoards Yellow Pages Entry

Offline Norman Prentiss

• View Profile
      • Norman Prentiss
    « Reply #4235 on: March 20, 2016, 12:15:44 pm »
    And I"m going to try and figure out how to post my book cover at the bottom of my email like everyone seems to be able to do but me! Sooooo low tech!
    Ferris Robinson

Ferris,

I had trouble figuring out the signature/covers thing, too, but once I got pointed in the right direction it was EASY:  At the top menu. click on the "Authors" tab.  One of the pull down menus is "Author Signature Tool", and that's all you need to add your covers (paste in the AISN for each, and it works!)

--Norman

Bram Stoker Award Winner for INVISIBLE FENCES and "In the Porches of My Ears"
    Norman Prentiss | Author Website | Facebook

Offline Jack Wallen

• Louisville
    • Jack Wallen
      • View Profile
      • Get Jack'd
    « Reply #4236 on: March 20, 2016, 12:47:17 pm »
    You knew it was coming! Suicide Station #KindleScout Update: Day 11

http://monkeypantz.net/kindle-scout-update-day-11/

Offline editorjmv

• Minnesota
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4237 on: March 20, 2016, 01:07:36 pm »
    I was able to get a blurb from a prominent science fiction author. I added it to  the original cover. It says: Joan's prose is always cool.  Paul Cornell

Joan

« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:31:55 am by editorjmv »

Joan Marie Verba | website

Offline Lexi Revellian

• London
      • View Profile
      • Lexi Revellian - my writing and other related matters...
    « Reply #4238 on: March 20, 2016, 02:17:36 pm »
    I haven't been in hot and trending yet, so I'm guessing I haven't done a great job on the cover/description. Or maybe people just don't like the premise at all. So I'll take that on board before releasing it and test it a lot more.

H & T isn't everything. Though of course I've only read the start, your book looks good to me - intriguing blurb, well written, and the first chapters draw the reader in.

Offline KGGiarratano

• View Profile
    « Reply #4239 on: March 20, 2016, 03:36:52 pm »
    Hey all -- I've been following along, nominating authors, and prepping for my launch on Tuesday.

I cannot stress this enough -- Kindle Scout seems to select books that have a good premise, good writing, but equally good branding. Series books seem to be their bread and butter. Hot and Trending isn't all that necessary except it means you're gaining nominations which hopefully turn into reviews for launch.

Best of luck to those in trenches.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #4240 on: March 20, 2016, 06:14:19 pm »
    Okay - so Joan Marie Verba writes Thunderbird novels.

That is so cool.
    :)

Offline editorjmv

• Minnesota
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4241 on: March 20, 2016, 06:27:41 pm »
    Okay - so Joan Marie Verba writes Thunderbird novels.

That is so cool.

Thanks, Steve! I had fun writing them.

Joan

Joan Marie Verba | website

Offline Lexi Revellian

• London
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4242 on: March 21, 2016, 12:05:38 am »

I cannot stress this enough -- Kindle Scout seems to select books that have a good premise, good writing, but equally good branding. Series books seem to be their bread and butter. Hot and Trending isn't all that necessary except it means you're gaining nominations which hopefully turn into reviews for launch.

I'd add that a good cover is important.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #4243 on: March 21, 2016, 03:16:48 am »
    Wow. We've had a big-time shake-up on the list as THREE people leap out into the void to await the judgement of the Gods of Kindle Scout.

(drum roll)

Best of luck to SUMMER LOVE, WINTER TEARS by Carol Collins; THE CREATION: LET THERE BE DEATH by The Behrg; and THE RISK IT TAKES TO BLOSSOM by Tani Hanes.

Behold - the Oxfordian semi-colon.

Now let's get on with this list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

7 days left God of Chains by JR Armstrong
    7 days left American Terrorist by Wesley Robert Lowe
    10 days left Kells Hitchin' by Maddison L. Beckley
    13 days left The Sublime Freedom by A.D. Davies
    17 days left Suicide Station by Jack Wallen
    17 days left Just One Kiss by Amelia Whitmore
    17 days left Odd Adventures With Your Other Father by Norman Prentiss
    18 days left Making Arrangements by Ferris Robinson
    20 days left The Deimos Virus: Target Earth by Leonard D. Hilley II
    26 days left Facade by Alice Sabo

I put this list up every morning and strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts.

This way folks can readily check out the kboarder members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind.

Offline Jack Wallen

• Louisville
    • Jack Wallen
      • View Profile
      • Get Jack'd
    « Reply #4244 on: March 21, 2016, 04:27:44 am »
    Two nominations opened up for me and they landed on:

7 days left God of Chains by JR Armstrong
    7 days left American Terrorist by Wesley Robert Lowe

Best of luck to both of you.

Offline Jack Wallen

• Louisville
    • Jack Wallen
      • View Profile
      • Get Jack'd
    « Reply #4245 on: March 21, 2016, 06:47:16 am »
    Suicide Station #KindleScout Update: Day 12 (on the matter and subject of LOVE).

http://monkeypantz.net/kindle-scout-update-day-12/

Offline KGGiarratano

• View Profile
    « Reply #4246 on: March 21, 2016, 09:49:38 am »

Absolutely.

Offline Jeanne McNamee

• First Class Procrastinator
      • View Profile
      • Jeanne's official website
    « Reply #4247 on: March 21, 2016, 01:47:48 pm »

Received my free copy of your book! Congrats again! :)

Offline Lexi Revellian

• London
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4248 on: March 21, 2016, 02:21:36 pm »

Received my free copy of your book! Congrats again! :)

Thank you! I have a copy too, because I took Cindy's excellent advice to nominate one's own book at the last minute.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #4249 on: March 22, 2016, 04:41:29 am »
    I've got the day off today. I had a little leave left and I took it to give me time to tell some stories at an event going on tonight here in Halifax. The local homeless housing society has asked me to come and tell a few stories at an event being put on at their largest apartment complex that they set up to give housing for families who find themselves out of doors.

This is a special event to me - although I have not let on to the organizers just how special it really is. You see, about twenty-five years ago, shortly following a divorce, I decided that I needed to do something different to shake up my existence. I was too broke to buy myself a sports car and besides, I did not know how to drive. I was also just a little too old AND too broke to attract too many young shapely cheerleaders. No sir, that just wasn't happening either. So I decided to go on the road and I took a job planting trees out in British Columbia - maybe 3000 miles away from Nova Scotia. I had talked to quite a few folks who had made an awful lot of money planting trees and I figured that if I get myself out there I was going home with a backpack full of money. So I got in behind of my thumb and poked it out into the wind and hitchhiked across country to work for about a month in the British Columbia high north, up in the Rockies. The only fly in my ointment was that I totally sucked as a tree planter. I mean Johnny Appleseed looked down from storyteller heaven and said something along the lines of "My golly, but you sure stink, buddy."

So I gave it up as a bad idea. I dropped my gear right in the middle of the planting grounds and called my foreman several names that I cannot print within this forum without resorting to such colorful punctuation as #&@%!!!

You have to understand that I was a little steamed at the time.

So I had come to British Columbia with about $35.00 in my pocket and I headed back home with about $9.00 in my pocket.

No word of a lie.

I got back to Halifax and I had nowhere to stay. I had been sharing a house with a half a dozen university students but the lease had slid and the house was being renovated and the only fellow left to keep an eye on the house was a very privileged fellow - and the only tenant in the house whom I hadn't been able to really get along with. He and I never fought, you understand - but we never did really ever learn how to tolerate each other. Just the same, I had a few months left to the lease - even though I wasn't paying anything on account of the house was being renovated.

So I took a chance and I pitched my tent in the backyard. I stayed there the whole summer and I worked every day at every single stinking little casual job I could find. The local Salvation Army had a work hall where I would go and odds are receive a ticket to go and work as a casual laborer. I chopped wood and broke ice and painted houses and raked leaves and moved furniture and cleaned a church and did whatever rotten stinking job the work hall boss handed me. At the same time I had my name in at three different employment agencies and found occasional work through them. I also checked the job boards at the university that I had been attending previously.

Every day I came home fully expecting to find my tent and sleeping gone, but thankfully that never happened. Nobody stole it and the young fellow minding the house either grew a heart or just lacked enough of a backbone to try and antagonize me by trying to rid me of my only belongings. It did not help that I had discovered an unlocked swing window in the basement and I swung in every morning to shower and use the toilet. I usually got out before he woke up but a few times he caught me and he always asked me "I don't suppose you'd tell me how you are getting in here." but I just let him wonder. If he didn't want to get up early enough to see how I was doing it, I was not going to enlighten him.

Understand that I am not bragging here. I hated the fact that I had to resort to such tactics but I had to keep myself clean enough for certain jobs.

Well, by September I had managed to scrimp enough to rent a two room bachelorette in a local rooming house that was known as "The Bucket of Blood". I'm not kidding about that nickname. It seems that a tenant was killed there many years ago and the nickname had stuck. There was a shared kitchen and a shared bathroom and I had a living room and a bedroom and my own refrigerator and that was enough to keep me off of the street.

It had been a near-run thing.

If my tent had gone missing or if I had come down with a cold or a flu or if I hadn't been able to make enough money to pay the deposit to rent the room I might just as easily have fallen through the cracks. I was as close to being a bum as I ever wanted to be. I learned a heck of a lot from that experience but I still remember how close I had come. I remember walking the streets of Halifax on the weekends with a hockey bag over my shoulder picking up enough bottles to give me just enough money to put a jug of milk and a loaf of bread and a couple of tins of beans and a package of wieners in my fridge. I can still see the sight of "normal folks" stepping across to the other side of the street to avoid me coming with that big old hockey bag full of empty beer and pop bottles.

We are all that close to the edge. A missed paycheck or two can shove any of us over. I was lucky enough to not fall too far but by golly it was a near run thing - so I am happy to get this opportunity to meet some folks who have walked that road and are just stepping up from it.

Now let's get on with this list, shall we?

Updated List

6 days left God of Chains by JR Armstrong
    6 days left American Terrorist by Wesley Robert Lowe
    9 days left Kells Hitchin' by Maddison L. Beckley
    12 days left The Sublime Freedom by A.D. Davies
    16 days left Suicide Station by Jack Wallen
    16 days left Just One Kiss by Amelia Whitmore
    16 days left Odd Adventures With Your Other Father by Norman Prentiss
    17 days left Making Arrangements by Ferris Robinson
    19 days left The Deimos Virus: Target Earth by Leonard D. Hilley II
    25 days left Facade by Alice Sabo
    25 days left Purple Kitty - A Serena McKay Novel by Chariss K. Walker

KBoards.com

• Advertisement