Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2336623 times)  

Offline misstante

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences, anyone?
« Reply #4250 on: March 22, 2016, 05:30:26 am »
This may be a dumb question, but so far my dumb questions have been addressed kindly and answered here on this thread. Thank you! Where can I find info on a banner ad? Not sure what to do with it or how to get one. I tried to search this thread, but no luck. Thank you! Ferris Robinson "Making Arrangements"

Ferris Robinson | facebook | website

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Chariss K. Walker

• Amarillo, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4251 on: March 22, 2016, 07:31:48 am »
    I have a noir crime book, Purple Kitty, A Serena McKay Novel, listed in a Kindle Scout campaign right now. https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/17BL0SJ9486LF
    In hopes it will prepare other authors, I'm also daily blogging about my complete 30 day experience here: https://charisskwalkerauthor.wordpress.com/2016/03/19/my-adventure-with-kindle-scout

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
    • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #4252 on: March 22, 2016, 07:36:49 am »
    Hi Chariss.

Welcome to kboards. Hope you hang around and get friendly. I've put your purple kitty on the kboards list.

Offline Lexi Revellian

• London
      • View Profile
      • Lexi Revellian - my writing and other related matters...
    « Reply #4253 on: March 22, 2016, 07:37:41 am »
    Steve, that's a great story. Have you thought of writing a novel?

Offline Jack Wallen

• Louisville
    • Jack Wallen
      • View Profile
      • Get Jack'd
    « Reply #4254 on: March 22, 2016, 08:30:28 am »

If my tent had gone missing or if I had come down with a cold or a flu or if I hadn't been able to make enough money to pay the deposit to rent the room I might just as easily have fallen through the cracks. I was as close to being a bum as I ever wanted to be. I learned a heck of a lot from that experience but I still remember how close I had come. I remember walking the streets of Halifax on the weekends with a hockey bag over my shoulder picking up enough bottles to give me just enough money to put a jug of milk and a loaf of bread and a couple of tins of beans and a package of wieners in my fridge. I can still see the sight of "normal folks" stepping across to the other side of the street to avoid me coming with that big old hockey bag full of empty beer and pop bottles.

We are all that close to the edge. A missed paycheck or two can shove any of us over. I was lucky enough to not fall too far but by golly it was a near run thing - so I am happy to get this opportunity to meet some folks who have walked that road and are just stepping up from it.

Wow! Thank you for sharing that story, Steve. I'm very glad everything came together for you. I applaud your perseverance.

Offline Jack Wallen

• Louisville
    • Jack Wallen
      • View Profile
      • Get Jack'd
    « Reply #4255 on: March 22, 2016, 08:31:03 am »
    Suicide Station ‪#‎KindleScout‬ Update: Week 2 wrap up on the Jack Verse!

http://monkeypantz.net/kindle-scout-update-week-2/

Offline AliceS

• View Profile
    « Reply #4256 on: March 22, 2016, 08:34:23 am »
    I've played the Starving Artist since college, so I know what you mean. If I didn't have great family support and a father who taught me how to budget to the penny, I could have been in a lot of trouble. So I know exactly what you mean. I have to say that my dribble of income from writing is more consistent than that from painting ever was.

Thanks for all your work on the forum, Steve! I'm so glad you've stuck around to give us the lists every day.

Offline thesios

• View Profile
    « Reply #4257 on: March 22, 2016, 10:27:11 am »
    U been on top of the world since day one ! ! !

Suicide Station ‪#‎KindleScout‬ Update: Week 2 wrap up on the Jack Verse!

http://monkeypantz.net/kindle-scout-update-week-2/

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #4258 on: March 22, 2016, 11:03:15 am »
    Steve, that's a great story. Have you thought of writing a novel?

:)

Wow! Thank you for sharing that story, Steve. I'm very glad everything came together for you. I applaud your perseverance.

A tendency towards mule-stubborn runs long in our family history.

I've played the Starving Artist since college, so I know what you mean. If I didn't have great family support and a father who taught me how to budget to the penny, I could have been in a lot of trouble. So I know exactly what you mean. I have to say that my dribble of income from writing is more consistent than that from painting ever was.

Thanks for all your work on the forum, Steve! I'm so glad you've stuck around to give us the lists every day.

Oh yes - one of the ways I used to earn money was life-modelling for the local art college. Most of the painters I knew had day jobs or rich life-partners. It is the Van Gogh syndrome, I guess.

Offline geronl

• TX
    • Mirrors are scary to me, lol
      • View Profile
      • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
    « Reply #4259 on: March 22, 2016, 11:39:08 am »
    I'd add that a good cover is important.

I got my free copy today!

Floyd Looney

Offline Lexi Revellian

• London
      • View Profile
      • Lexi Revellian - my writing and other related matters...
    « Reply #4260 on: March 22, 2016, 01:27:22 pm »
    I got my free copy today!

Woop woop! I hope you like the story, geronl - but at least if you don't, you won't have paid for it... :D

Offline Norman Prentiss

• View Profile
      • Norman Prentiss
    « Reply #4261 on: March 22, 2016, 02:48:34 pm »
    I have a noir crime book, Purple Kitty, A Serena McKay Novel, listed in a Kindle Scout campaign right now. https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/17BL0SJ9486LF
    In hopes it will prepare other authors, I'm also daily blogging about my complete 30 day experience here: https://charisskwalkerauthor.wordpress.com/2016/03/19/my-adventure-with-kindle-scout

Good luck with your book, Chariss.  Love me some noir, so will check it out! :)

Bram Stoker Award Winner for INVISIBLE FENCES and "In the Porches of My Ears"
    Norman Prentiss | Author Website | Facebook

Offline Norman Prentiss

• View Profile
      • Norman Prentiss
    « Reply #4262 on: March 22, 2016, 02:50:51 pm »

I agree with Alice!  Very moving post, Steve--glad to have you here inspiring us!

Offline Norman Prentiss

• View Profile
      • Norman Prentiss
    « Reply #4263 on: March 22, 2016, 03:02:15 pm »
    It's all in the timing....

Well, at least that's how it seems!  Strangely, a lot of projects I'd had in progress have all come together at the same time, alongside my Kindle Scout campaign.  Today I had a signed limited edition announced http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/prentiss05; and two other eBooks that have been in limbo for 6 months are finally getting posted to retail sites....but like, all within the same day, when I wanted to spread things out over this loooooong 30 days--ha!

Also did a guest blog at another writer's site, which seems to have given me a boost (though I'll know more when the stats post tomorrow): http://huntershea.com/2016/03/21/an-odd-path-to-publication-guest-post-by-norman-prentiss/

Anybody else having luck with different strategies (and maybe some advice for getting the timing right)?

Offline BBGriffith

• Denver, CO
    • Purveyor of Fine Escapism
      • View Profile
      • Griffith Publishing
    « Reply #4264 on: March 22, 2016, 03:33:29 pm »

We are all that close to the edge. A missed paycheck or two can shove any of us over. I was lucky enough to not fall too far but by golly it was a near run thing - so I am happy to get this opportunity to meet some folks who have walked that road and are just stepping up from it.

Great post Steve. I hope the rest of Writer's Cafe meanders in to this thread to see it.
      | | |

Offline RJ Crayton

• Hyattsville, MD
      • View Profile
      • RJ Crayton
    « Reply #4265 on: March 22, 2016, 08:49:07 pm »
    Well, hello all. I've heard good things about the group and been lurking a bit, but there are so many posts, it's hard to find all the great advice.

My campaign is set to give live on Thursday (3/24). Anyone have any tips on getting off to a good start?

Suspense with a touch of romance.
    RJ Crayton | RJ Crayton | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Tumblr | Google+

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #4266 on: March 23, 2016, 04:25:04 am »
    Welcome to kboards, RJ Crayton. If you want some tips on Kindle Scout make sure you take the time to read through this entire thread. You might also want to check out my blog series - THIRTY DAYS OF KINDLE SCOUT - which you find at my blog page. I've created a separate section for that - and you find a link to my blog in my signature at the bottom of this entry.

Now let's get on with this list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

5 days left God of Chains by JR Armstrong
    5 days left American Terrorist by Wesley Robert Lowe
    8 days left Kells Hitchin' by Maddison L. Beckley
    11 days left The Sublime Freedom by A.D. Davies
    15 days left Suicide Station by Jack Wallen
    15 days left Just One Kiss by Amelia Whitmore
    15 days left Odd Adventures With Your Other Father by Norman Prentiss
    16 days left Making Arrangements by Ferris Robinson
    18 days left The Deimos Virus: Target Earth by Leonard D. Hilley II
    24 days left Facade by Alice Sabo
    24 days left Purple Kitty - A Serena McKay Novel by Chariss K. Walker

I put this list up every morning and strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts.

This way folks can readily check out the kboarder members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind.

If I have missed anyone please let me know.

Happy scouting to you all!

Offline Cassidy

• England, United Kingdom
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4267 on: March 23, 2016, 05:05:19 am »
    Just filled up my nominations again. Hard at work on book 2 to Forest of Demons. It's been difficult because I'm in the process of buying a home for the first time. I didn't realise how stressful the process can be! The last couple of days have been spent on the phone, responding to emails and photocopying and posting stuff. I hope to get some writing done tonight, and maybe a blog post about my Kindle Scout experience.
    Check out Forest of Demons on Kindle Scout :D https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/XCA3VZMEAL5P

Offline Beatriz

• New York
    • Writer
      • View Profile
      • Beatrice Brusic
    « Reply #4268 on: March 23, 2016, 06:20:06 am »
    I had a book in Kindle Scout and while it remained *hot* throughout the campaign, it wasn't awarded a contract. I had never published before I applied, although I had spent a long time with an agent hoping for a book deal. After the rejection from Scout I had this realization that I was tired of waiting for other people to make my dreams come true. I can't say I haven't looked back doing this on my own is freaking hard! The  hand holding that would have come with a contract is appealing on the days when I'm fumbling with organizing promo and trying to figure out what sort of book cover is appealing.

Still, I am so glad I went for Scout. It helped me see that I had options and control. Honestly, not getting accepted changed my life. I have now published seven of the novels I sat on while waiting for someone to pick me.

Though some may say it's cheesy, I think it's true: "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." <3
    very well said but I still don't understand how this scout business works.  it sounds very complicated to me.

Beatrice Brusic | author website | blog | twitter | facebook

Offline Jack Wallen

• Louisville
    • Jack Wallen
      • View Profile
      • Get Jack'd
    « Reply #4269 on: March 23, 2016, 07:15:19 am »
    Suicide Station Kindle Scout Update: Day 14. On perpetual motion and Prometheus.

http://monkeypantz.net/kindle-scout-update-day-14/

Offline RJ Crayton

• Hyattsville, MD
      • View Profile
      • RJ Crayton
    « Reply #4270 on: March 23, 2016, 07:41:57 am »
    Welcome to kboards, RJ Crayton. If you want some tips on Kindle Scout make sure you take the time to read through this entire thread. You might also want to check out my blog series - THIRTY DAYS OF KINDLE SCOUT - which you find at my blog page. I've created a separate section for that - and you find a link to my blog in my signature at the bottom of this entry.

Thanks. I'll check out your blog series.

RJ Crayton | RJ Crayton | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Tumblr | Google+

Offline RJ Crayton

• Hyattsville, MD
      • View Profile
      • RJ Crayton
    « Reply #4271 on: March 23, 2016, 08:58:56 am »
    I had a quick question. I've gone through a bunch of the post but didn't find the answer. While some people mentioned posting their Scout campaign links in Goodreads groups, I didn't see any mentions of creating a Goodreads Page for the book.

Does anyone know have thoughts on whether or not it's a good idea to create a Goodreads Page for your Kindle Scout book? If I were just publishing it myself, I'd create the page prior to the book going out. And if I created it now, I'd mention the Kindle Scout campaign in the description. Generally, I think it's nice for people who come across the other books to see the new cover when they check your author page.  However, I don't know if Kindle Press frowns upon you creating a Goodreads book page during the campaign, especially if they make changes to your book if selected. Once a Goodreads page goes up, there's no way to get rid of it (you can only add a new edition).

Most of the books I checked with active campaigns didn't have a Goodreads page, so I'm leaning towards not. But, was curious what other people thought.

Offline The one with all the big dresses on the covers

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4272 on: March 23, 2016, 11:46:19 pm »
    Hmm, an interesting question. It never occurred to me to make a GoodReads page for my book while my Scout campaign was live. Or to make one before my book was published for that matter. (I'm not sure how much extra visibility it would actually give you...?)

But I assume Amazon must automatically populate the books published through them into GoodReads because after I published my book through KDP, I went to GoodReads to create a page for it and discovered it was already there and even had a review already! (One of my beta readers but still! :) )

Offline JR.

• View Profile
      • jrarmstrong.co
    « Reply #4273 on: March 24, 2016, 01:05:15 am »
    It would have been made by the person who made the review, presumably. This happened with my second novella and just this month I had to get Goodreads to link it with my account. I might look into setting up a page for my Scout book... later...

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #4274 on: March 24, 2016, 01:29:45 am »
    As far as I understand it you CANNOT make a page for your Scout book on Goodreads. You cannot set up a Goodreads page for a book that isn't listed for sale and/or for preorder.

What you CAN do is contact your Goodreads followers OR write upon a Goodreads blog that you are keeping OR announce your Kindle Scout Campaign in some of the Goodreads groups if you are a member of them.

However, I didn't think to do any of that with Goodreads beyond mentioning it in a couple of small Goodreads reading groups.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement