Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2333745 times)  

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
Re: Kindle Scout experiences, anyone?
« Reply #4275 on: March 24, 2016, 01:36:20 am »
Easter weekend is coming up. I work an evening shift tonight, then get Good Friday off, then work a day shift on Saturday, then get Easter Sunday off, then work an evening shift on Monday.

Whee.

Now let's get on with this list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

4 days left God of Chains by JR Armstrong
4 days left American Terrorist by Wesley Robert Lowe
7 days left Kells Hitchin' by Maddison L. Beckley
10 days left The Sublime Freedom by A.D. Davies
14 days left Suicide Station by Jack Wallen
14 days left Just One Kiss by Amelia Whitmore
14 days left Odd Adventures With Your Other Father by Norman Prentiss
15 days left Making Arrangements by Ferris Robinson
17 days left The Deimos Virus: Target Earth by Leonard D. Hilley II
23 days left Facade by Alice Sabo
23 days left Purple Kitty - A Serena McKay Novel by Chariss K. Walker
29 days left Concealed by RJ Crayton

I put this list up every morning and strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts.

This way folks can readily check out the kboarder members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind.

If I have missed anyone please let me know.

Happy scouting to you all!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline The one with all the big dresses on the covers

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4276 on: March 24, 2016, 03:47:02 am »
    It would have been made by the person who made the review, presumably.

That's what I thought too but when I checked with her, she said the page was already there when she went to do her review.
    (And, on a side note, she disclosed that she was a beta reader and a friend and the review is only up on Goodreads, not Amazon :) )

As far as I understand it you CANNOT make a page for your Scout book on Goodreads. You cannot set up a Goodreads page for a book that isn't listed for sale and/or for preorder.

I don't know anything about GoodReads and Scout specifically but you can create a GoodReads page for a book that isn't published yet. I created a page for the second book in my series even though it has no cover, no release date and is nowhere near ready for pre-order (I've only written about 10,000 words :) I just put it up so people who read the first one and liked it could see there's another one coming and add it to their to-reads). I have also put books on my own to-read shelf that appear to have been added by enthusiastic fans after an author said they were thinking/planning/hoping/dreaming about one day writing the book  :D

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #4277 on: March 24, 2016, 04:04:57 am »
    I don't know anything about GoodReads and Scout specifically but you can create a GoodReads page for a book that isn't published yet. I created a page for the second book in my series even though it has no cover, no release date and is nowhere near ready for pre-order (I've only written about 10,000 words :) I just put it up so people who read the first one and liked it could see there's another one coming and add it to their to-reads). I have also put books on my own to-read shelf that appear to have been added by enthusiastic fans after an author said they were thinking/planning/hoping/dreaming about one day writing the book  :D

Son of a gun.

I did not know that.

See - THIS is why I hang out on kboards.
    :)

Offline RJ Crayton

• Hyattsville, MD
      • View Profile
      • RJ Crayton
    « Reply #4278 on: March 24, 2016, 05:41:23 am »
    Hmm, an interesting question. It never occurred to me to make a GoodReads page for my book while my Scout campaign was live. Or to make one before my book was published for that matter. (I'm not sure how much extra visibility it would actually give you...?)

But I assume Amazon must automatically populate the books published through them into GoodReads because after I published my book through KDP, I went to GoodReads to create a page for it and discovered it was already there and even had a review already! (One of my beta readers but still! :) )

Thanks for your thoughts. I've had a  book appear on Goodreads with a review shortly after I published it, too. I think Amazon will auto populate the fields if a customer wants to review a book just after they bought/read it, but I'm not sure. I don't actually have my Amazon and Goodreads accounts connected. And while I don't know that Goodreads gives that much extra visibility, someone told me a while ago to create my Goodreads page as soon as possible. But, it's not clear that will help with that. So, I'll just leave it without a Goodreads page.

Suspense with a touch of romance.
    RJ Crayton | RJ Crayton | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Tumblr | Google+

Offline RJ Crayton

• Hyattsville, MD
      • View Profile
      • RJ Crayton
    « Reply #4279 on: March 24, 2016, 05:49:23 am »
    Forgot to add, my Scout campaign launched today:

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/17U6DZP8FHMSK

RJ Crayton | RJ Crayton | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Tumblr | Google+

Offline thesios

• View Profile
    « Reply #4280 on: March 24, 2016, 06:54:03 am »
    welcome for the ride :)

yes u can add it Hi

I just created a new page for Just One Kiss  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29610628-just-one-kiss

Dont forget to vote and vote often https://amzon.me/onekiss

Offline Mare

• The Red River Valley in rural Oklahoma
    • Life is good if you don't weaken
      • View Profile
      • Mary J Hicks
    « Reply #4281 on: March 24, 2016, 07:19:10 am »
    I just filled my three slots back up again!

I hope to get my book submitted by the afternoon. :)

Mary J Hicks | Website

Offline AliceS

• View Profile
    « Reply #4282 on: March 24, 2016, 07:29:00 am »
    Last night I got a little panicky. Low view #s and only 12 hrs in Hot and Trending...but then I got such a lovely email. A stranger emailed to tell me how much he loved my sample on KS and that if he could have, he'd have bought it right then. He went on to say more flattering things. It really made my day.

I may be in a special niche that won't get a lot of attention. I'd hate to fail because I didn't put up a proper campaign. But I don't have a lot of reach. That's the main reason why I was going for Scout. I'm a seriously introverted, cash-strapped writer. If I knew how to get my books in front of thousands of eyes, I'd be doing it! Sigh. Sorry. Just figured I could vent to you guys.  Now back to work on my next book.

Offline Cindy Rinaman Marsch

• Slippery Rock, PA, USA
    • Happy Debut Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Rosette: A Novel of Pioneer Michigan
    « Reply #4283 on: March 24, 2016, 08:10:46 am »
    Last night I got a little panicky. Low view #s and only 12 hrs in Hot and Trending...but then I got such a lovely email. A stranger emailed to tell me how much he loved my sample on KS and that if he could have, he'd have bought it right then. He went on to say more flattering things. It really made my day.

I may be in a special niche that won't get a lot of attention. I'd hate to fail because I didn't put up a proper campaign. But I don't have a lot of reach. That's the main reason why I was going for Scout. I'm a seriously introverted, cash-strapped writer. If I knew how to get my books in front of thousands of eyes, I'd be doing it! Sigh. Sorry. Just figured I could vent to you guys.  Now back to work on my next book.

Alice, you've won a fan for life, and that's awesome! :-)

ROSETTE: A NOVEL OF PIONEER MICHIGAN and "Blizzard: A Story of Dakota Territory"
    Cindy Rinaman Marsch | ROSETTE website for both books | Moraine's Edge Books for author services | KBoards Yellow Pages Entry

Offline AliceS

• View Profile
    « Reply #4284 on: March 24, 2016, 08:14:49 am »
    Alice, you've won a fan for life, and that's awesome! :-)

I know! It made me all giggly.

Offline Jack Wallen

• Louisville
    • Jack Wallen
      • View Profile
      • Get Jack'd
    « Reply #4285 on: March 24, 2016, 08:58:34 am »
    Suicide Station #KindleScout Update: Day 15

http://monkeypantz.net/kindle-scout-update-day-15/

I mention a really cool tool that can help make twitter promo a bit easier.

Offline Jim Nelson

• San Francisco
      • View Profile
      • j-nelson.net
    « Reply #4286 on: March 24, 2016, 09:31:28 am »
    I've been blogging a bit about Bridge Daughter since starting my campaign: http://j-nelson.net/topics/books/bridge-daughter/

I'm glad to have discovered this thread on the board, but wish I'd come here earlier.  Definitely been a learning process, going through my Kindle Scout campaign!

-- Jim
    YA thriller Bridge Daughter now available from Kindle Press!

Jim Nelson: j-nelson.net * Facebook * Twitter

Offline Mare

• View Profile
      • Mary J Hicks
    « Reply #4287 on: March 24, 2016, 11:15:08 am »

Alice, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get a contract with KS. Have you done a free promotion with Amazon?
    I just finished one, and I had 4,223 downloads in four days. I sold a several of my short stories, about fifteen. And now that is over I've had a tremendous surge in pages read.
    I'm working on submitting my new novel to KS this afternoonalmost there!

Good luck!  :)

Mary J Hicks | Website

Offline AliceS

• View Profile
    « Reply #4288 on: March 24, 2016, 11:48:10 am »
    Alice, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get a contract with KS. Have you done a free promotion with Amazon?
    I just finished one, and I had 4,223 downloads in four days. I sold a several of my short stories, about fifteen. And now that is over I've had a tremendous surge in pages read.
    I'm working on submitting my new novel to KS this afternoonalmost there!

Good luck!  :)
    Thanks. Good luck to you too!

I did a free promotion in Feb. I should have planned it to coincide with the Scout campaign, I think. I had good downloads, but my KENPS went way up. I thought I'd finally got a toehold, but it was short-lived. They've bottomed out now and I'm not sure if I should do ads for them at the same time as marketing KS.

Offline Jack Wallen

• Louisville
    • Jack Wallen
      • View Profile
      • Get Jack'd
    « Reply #4289 on: March 24, 2016, 12:53:44 pm »
    Wow, the middle part of the campaign is tough! The first couple of weeks seemed so elegantly simple compared to now. You reach a state of saturation with your fanbase and their followers have reached saturation...and you have to start getting even more clever with your promotion. Time to break out another round of ads, I believe.

Must. Keep. Pushing!

Offline Mare

• View Profile
      • Mary J Hicks
    « Reply #4290 on: March 24, 2016, 02:20:25 pm »
    My first book didn't get a contract, but I did get some good exposure. The campaign was well worth it. I stayed in Hot & Trending almost the whole time, so that doesn't mean a contract. If I get accepted for another campaign, I'm not going to pester everybody I know about it. :)

Mary J Hicks | Website

Offline TheBehrg

• View Profile
    « Reply #4291 on: March 24, 2016, 04:02:50 pm »
    My first book didn't get a contract, but I did get some good exposure. The campaign was well worth it. I stayed in Hot & Trending almost the whole time, so that doesn't mean a contract. If I get accepted for another campaign, I'm not going to pester everybody I know about it. :)

It's funny how the attitude changes the second go-around! With my second campaign I did one or two blogposts, one shout out to my mailing list, and a couple mentions on Facebook. Nowhere near the time or effort I put into my first campaign (though the results of H&T trending time reflected that).

The Behrg | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline Mare

• View Profile
      • Mary J Hicks
    « Reply #4292 on: March 24, 2016, 04:10:04 pm »
    It's funny how the attitude changes the second go-around! With my second campaign I did one or two blogposts, one shout out to my mailing list, and a couple mentions on Facebook. Nowhere near the time or effort I put into my first campaign (though the results of H&T trending time reflected that).

Hmm, just what I'm thinking. I thought I'd use the month of waiting to get the print book formatted and ready to go to several book signings I already have scheduled.

Mary J Hicks | Website

Offline Jim Nelson

• San Francisco
      • View Profile
      • j-nelson.net
    « Reply #4293 on: March 24, 2016, 05:57:30 pm »
    Wow, the middle part of the campaign is tough! The first couple of weeks seemed so elegantly simple compared to now. You reach a state of saturation with your fanbase and their followers have reached saturation...and you have to start getting even more clever with your promotion.

That's exactly what I'm going through at the moment.  It feels like falling off a cliff.  Like you said, pushing forward is the only move...
    YA thriller Bridge Daughter now available from Kindle Press!

Jim Nelson: j-nelson.net * Facebook * Twitter

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #4294 on: March 25, 2016, 03:12:56 am »
    It's been a good morning. I was up at 5am feeling mostly refreshed. I wrote 1700 words in the new manuscript over the first couple of hours - a really solid-feeling chapter. Then I brewed some coffee and cooked up a pan full of good maple bacon and fried me up some pancakes. I used baking powder, so they came almost with a nice solid biscuit-like texture. Usually I don't bother with the baking powder. My wife prefers flatter and less biscuit-like - but this morning I felt like something solid - so I went and did it. She never complains about waking up to fresh breakfast anyway.

In another half an hour I have got to go and grab a bus to work. I work until four o'clock today and then I'm home for the evening. I will probably kick back tonight and watch a few episodes of Game of Thrones. I bought my wife Season 5 for her birthday gift, and yesterday we started with Season 1 and we are going to work our way right on up to Season 5.

I also bought her the Hobbit trilogy. I am less hopeful about that. We saw the first movie and it bored the pants off of us, but we LOVE the original Lord of the Rings trilogy and have always known that sooner or later we would have to see it straight through.

Sorry that Kindle Scout didn't bite for you, Peter.

So let's get on with the list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

2 days left God of Chains by JR Armstrong
    2 days left American Terrorist by Wesley Robert Lowe
    5 days left Kells Hitchin' by Maddison L. Beckley
    8 days left The Sublime Freedom by A.D. Davies
    12 days left Suicide Station by Jack Wallen
    12 days left Just One Kiss by Amelia Whitmore
    12 days left Odd Adventures With Your Other Father by Norman Prentiss
    13 days left Making Arrangements by Ferris Robinson
    13 days left Bridge Daughter by Jim Nelson
    15 days left The Deimos Virus: Target Earth by Leonard D. Hilley II
    21 days left Facade by Alice Sabo
    21 days left Purple Kitty - A Serena McKay Novel by Chariss K. Walker
    27 days left Concealed by RJ Crayton
    27 days left A Friend Like Filby by Mark Wakely

I put this list up every morning and strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts.

This way folks can readily check out the kboarder members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind.

If I have missed anyone please let me know.

Happy scouting to you all!

Offline Mark Wakely

• View Profile
      • An Audience For Einstein 10th Anniversary Edition
    « Reply #4295 on: March 25, 2016, 05:05:23 am »
    Hi Everyone-

I've just had my novel start its Kindle Scout campaign, and had a question about using business cards to promote a campaign.  Sorry if the question has already been answered; I couldn't find the discussion.  Several past and present Scouters recommend having a bunch printed and handed out, but that seems like it would be barely effective, if at all.  I know every nomination is important, but handing cards to strangers (or leaving them in strange places) seems more like a mostly miss proposition, rather than a hit or miss.  First, you'd have to give the card to someone who actually reads.  Second, they would have to be interested in the type of book you wrote (or at the very least, not hate that genre.)  Third, they would have to have an amazon account, and fourth and most important, they would have to make an effort to nominate the book of a complete stranger who they owe nothing. 

In short, for those who've tried the business card approach, does it actually work? And if so, how can you tell?

Maybe I'm just bad at self promotion in general, but the thought of approaching people to annoy them with something they didn't ask for and are probably reluctant to accept seems a bit pushy.  (On the other hand, maybe to be successful at this you have to be pushy.)  I could try the trick of leaving cards here and there, but that just seems like littering.  I can well imagine they would end up in the trash by the end of the day, if not sooner.

Thanks for any insight about this.

Here's my Kindle Scout link:

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2ZO3MYRD9SAMW

Mark

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 05:14:26 am by Mark Wakely »

Offline Jack Wallen

• Louisville
    • Jack Wallen
      • View Profile
      • Get Jack'd
    « Reply #4296 on: March 25, 2016, 06:04:11 am »
    Suicide Station #KindleScout Update: Day 16 Middle Child Syndrome.

http://monkeypantz.net/kindle-scout-update-day-16/

Fight back the gray!

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #4297 on: March 25, 2016, 06:11:29 am »
    Hey Mark.

Being an author who is fairly well known in my own area of Nova Scotia - although less well-known anywhere else - I am often asked to read and/or talk and/or tell stories at local public events. Earlier this week I spoke at a men's homeless shelter. Later in May I am going to speak at a workshop being put on by myself and the editor in chief of a local publishing company. We will be talking about the various ways that a person can publish their manuscript - basically an indie versus traditional discussion. We expect a crowd of about forty or fifty folks. It is being held at our local Writers Federation.

I would NOT have considered handing out my card to someone at the shelter. They have got enough on their minds without me asking favors of them.

HOWEVER, if I was running a campaign next month I might very well hand out a business card with nomination information at the workshop - just because the people attending that workshop are writers and readers and folks who want to learn about the industry. These are people with a vested interest, people who actually paid money to come and hear me talk.

So you have to pick your targets wisely.

You might hand them out at work to folks who ask you about your writing, especially if you have worked their a while.

You might hand them out to your relatives, making it easier for them to help you out with a nomination. Heck, they might very well be honestly interested in what you have come up with.

It is a call you have to make.

Would I hand it out to a total stranger?

Probably not - unless, as I said, the situation lent itself to such an exchange.

How can you tell it works?

I can't really think of how you could easily tell if it worked or not.

In my opinion - at this point of the game - I probably would not bother printing up cards unless you had a LOT of people in mind.

I'd save my money if I were you. Find free ways to support your campaign. And remember, at the end of the game it REALLY isn't all about those orange H&T bars on your Kindle Scout Campaign page. The gods of Kindle Scout want a good salable novel in a good salable genre, hopefully with an author who has already established a good salable sales history.

But even then - you ALWAYS have got a shot.

Good luck and have fun. I'm putting you on the list.
    :)

PS: Here's a look at the business I do carry in my wallet. I've got a QR link to Kobo, just because I mostly hand these out in Canada, a Kobo-friendly country.

Offline RJ Crayton

• Hyattsville, MD
      • View Profile
      • RJ Crayton
    « Reply #4298 on: March 25, 2016, 06:50:46 am »
    Hi Everyone-
    Several past and present Scouters recommend having a bunch printed and handed out, but that seems like it would be barely effective, if at all.  I know every nomination is important, but handing cards to strangers (or leaving them in strange places) seems more like a mostly miss proposition, rather than a hit or miss.  First, you'd have to give the card to someone who actually reads.  Second, they would have to be interested in the type of book you wrote (or at the very least, not hate that genre.)  Third, they would have to have an amazon account, and fourth and most important, they would have to make an effort to nominate the book of a complete stranger who they owe nothing. 

Mark, I'm fairly new to this, but if you're not into business cards, then I'd let it go. I've been looking for ideas on how to promote my scout campaign and I've not seen the business card suggestion. If it's worked for some people, yay. But, I think the things you point out as problems -- them getting lost, the idea of them having to retype this long link, them ending up as trash--are legitimate concerns. Steve Vernon did a monthlong blog series, 30 Days of Kindle Scout, and on day 9, he mentioned the problem with bit.ly shorteners: https://stevevernonstoryteller.wordpress.com/2016/02/12/kelpie-scout-kindle-campaign-day-9/.  They don't often register as views for your page. I would imagine, if you were using a business card, you'd use a shortened link, and you'd miss a lot of views.

Martin Crosbie wrote a post about his Kindle Scout campaign, and he mentioned a few strategies. http://www.indiesunlimited.com/2015/10/13/my-kindle-scout-adventure-part-1/

So check out those series if you're looking for other ideas.

Offline Jack Wallen

• Louisville
    • Jack Wallen
      • View Profile
      • Get Jack'd
    « Reply #4299 on: March 25, 2016, 06:54:34 am »
    I'd save my money if I were you. Find free ways to support your campaign. And remember, at the end of the game it REALLY isn't all about those orange H&T bars on your Kindle Scout Campaign page. The gods of Kindle Scout want a good salable novel in a good salable genre, hopefully with an author who has already established a good salable sales history.

So true. I keep having to remind myself of this. In the end, it boils down to whether or not you've written a damn good book...one that Amazon can market and sell. If not, it doesn't matter if you get the entire population of Denmark to click Nominate Me. This is no different than submitting to one of the big 6/5/4/3/2/1 publishers. If they can't sell it, they don't want it.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement