Kindle Forum banner

Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)

2M views 26K replies 700 participants last post by  ShayneRutherford 
G
#1 ·
Hi. I thought I posted this question last night, but I don't see it in any of the threads, so I thought I would try again. I recently learned about Kindle Scout, and I would just like to hear about other authors' experiences. All opinions and stories welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

#4,161 ·
editorjmv said:
I see: the difference is that Hot and Trending would be linked to nominations instead of page views. That would account for it. Thanks, Steve.

While waiting for a message from Kindle Scout, I thought I would test out some cover alternatives. I prefer the cover I used for the campaign, and some have reacted favorably to it. Others have said that it appears to be the cover of a computer manual instead of the cover of a novel (personally, I think it's perfectly fine for a science fiction novel about a tech company to resemble the cover of a computer manual, but others may have different views). So, I'm posting both the cover I used for the campaign (the one I prefer), and another possible cover. If anyone has an opinion, feel free.

Thanks again,
Joan

Hi Joan, I nominated your book because I loved the excerpt, but honestly would have thought it was non-fiction based on the cover if I hadn't already known, going in, what your book was about. I think the hole most of us fall into is picking a cover we like, not one that fits the market and that would appeal to readers. I'm also a cover designer and I see a lot of gorgeous covers that don't actually tell you anything about the genre or fail to be evocative enough to click on. In my humble opinion, I would suggest changing it. The one below is much better and says fiction to me but not necessarily sci-fi tech. If you can find a balance then you will be good to go. There are some great sci-fi tech stock images you could use as a base if you wanted to design it yourself. As I said this is just my humble opinion, so please feel free to ignore it, I mean no offence. :D

#4,162 ·
Ah well, so ends my Kindle Scout experience.  It is not just the amount of time spent in the hot and trending section or the amount of views that matter most.  The final word comes from the Kindle gods and I have been judged and found unworthy. Congratulations to all of those that have made it and I will definitely try again.  Thank you all for the support and I'll see you again when I finish my next great American novel.

For some reason I can't post an attachment but my numbers were 237 hours and 6.1k views. 

#4,163 ·
P. Walter Gagnon said:
Ah well, so ends my Kindle Scout experience. It is not just the amount of time spent in the hot and trending section or the amount of views that matter most. The final word comes from the Kindle gods and I have been judged and found unworthy. Congratulations to all of those that have made it and I will definitely try again. Thank you all for the support and I'll see you again when I finish my next great American novel.

For some reason I can't post an attachment but my numbers were 237 hours and 6.1k views.
Sorry you did not make it, Walter.

If it is any consolation it took me two kicks at the can to get in there - so I would say that it's worth trying again.

#4,164 ·
Steve Vernon said:
W-A-A-A-A-H-O-O-O!!!

Time to celebrate with some take-out schwarma and a tray full of maple cupcakes.

I am a happy man!!!

:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D
I got my notification a few days ago. Good for you for sticking it in there and trying again! Can't wait for my free copy! sounds like a great book.

#4,166 ·
P. Walter Gagnon said:
Ah well, so ends my Kindle Scout experience. It is not just the amount of time spent in the hot and trending section or the amount of views that matter most. The final word comes from the Kindle gods and I have been judged and found unworthy. Congratulations to all of those that have made it and I will definitely try again. Thank you all for the support and I'll see you again when I finish my next great American novel.

That's a really strong campaign. I know when I ran mine I was 50% H&T and something like 3k page views. So you knocked it out of the park number wise.

I really think they are looking for people with at least some kind of base already, and you have to have something they think they can sell in a pretty hot category. While they only have to recoup a 2500 investment I am sure they are trying to build a seperate brand and every book they get that stays hot boosts that brand.

I can tell you all hope is not lost when you lose. Ascendancy the Arena made it to 1100 in the Kindle store after losing. So your book can do extremely well even after a failed campaign.

Good luck with your release.

#4,167 ·
P. Walter Gagnon said:

My condolences. Mine received the same fate, but I have uploaded to KDP and paperback is in process. Awesome stats you had!!! A lot of people have shown an interest, so get it out there. :)

#4,168 ·
AliceS said:
Submitted to Scout last night. The entry form froze up on me and gave me fits...I hope that's not a bad omen.

Thanks to everyone here for all the info and advice! I am about to join the ranks!
I have my second book in there. Glitched like crazy. Only one day of results for the campaign when there should be three days of results. I've contacted them twice. Good luck!!!

#4,175 ·
All right.

It's hump day - and due to the schedule Thursday is going to be my Friday.

Let's get on with the list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

1 day left Fire Girl by Andy Mulberry
3 days left The Second Sphere by Peter S. Banks
4 days left Summer Love, Winter Tears by Carol Collins
4 days left The Creation: Let There Be Death by The Behrg
4 days left The Risk it Takes to Blossom by Tani Hanes
12 days left God of Chains by JR Armstrong
12 days left American Terrorist by Wesley Robert Lowe
15 days left Kells Hitchin' by Maddison L. Beckley
18 days left The Sublime Freedom by A.D. Davies
22 days left Suicide Station by Jack Wallen
22 days left Just One Kiss by Amelia Whitmore
22 days left Odd Adventures With Your Other Father by Norman Prentiss
25 days left The Deimos Virus: Target Earth by Leonard D. Hilley II

If I have missed anyone please let me know.

Happy scouting to you!

#4,176 ·
Received the message this morning: Kindle Scout has declined to publish Modern Surprises. My total page views were 553 and it was in the Hot and Trending category for 54 hours.

I'm not overly disappointed in this development, since I knew when I started that the process would be difficult. And, even after going all out and having a social media reach of over 100,000, I gathered only 553 page views (and undoubtedly fewer nominations). That would make me hesitate to try again, as I don't think I could improve on that.

However, now I can release it myself, which has the advantage that I can change the cover art whenever I wish, and I can update the manuscript (e.g. correct errors), whenever I wish.

My thanks to everyone here for their help, support, and advice. I do plan to continue reading this board. My best to everyone.

Joan

#4,179 ·
editorjmv said:
And, even after going all out and having a social media reach of over 100,000, I gathered only 553 page views (and undoubtedly fewer nominations). That would make me hesitate to try again, as I don't think I could improve on that.
I guess we all have our own goals. I have no illusions about being selected, but I put it in Scout to get a few extra eyes on the book, as I have close to no 'social media reach' at all. So the views I already have mean I won't consider the endeavour a failure when it is not picked up by Amazon in a few weeks.

#4,180 ·
Oh, I don't consider my Kindle Scout attempt a failure at all. I got a lot of support from a lot of very kind people (this includes the kind people on this board).

However, I would rethink my strategy before trying it again, given that the social reach from this attempt did not result in a proportionate number of page views.

Joan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.