Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2035023 times)  

Offline TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #24300 on: February 12, 2018, 05:20:59 PM »
Amazingly, I was finally on H&T this weekend but fell back off this morning. It was exciting and exhausting, as I nervously checked exactly 50 minutes after each hour to see if my book was still on the list. Today I kept checking, but I know it won't get back up there without more promotion. Anyway, I started a FB ad yesterday with one interest targeted. It seems to be doing well, but I'm not on H&T, so maybe it's not.
Kalen, can you or some other FB ad expert please explain these numbers?
  409 impressions
  169 people taking action?
  0 clicks on my Learn More button
What kind of action would those people be taking? I have a hyperlink to my KS page in the text above the photo. Does that mean they're clicking the link? Hopefully it doesn't mean they're checking out my FB author page, which is still completely blank.
I'm thinking about running a second ad, but I can't tell if I'm getting any results.
All thoughts appreciated  :)

Offline TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #24301 on: February 12, 2018, 05:32:52 PM »
Knight School is at number 58 in the kindle store's Teen & Young Adult - Science Fiction & Fantasy - Fantasy - Coming of Age category and ranked 66 in its other two.  The Best Seller Rank is only 3, 722 right now, which is still pretty cool to me.  If anyone has had time to read the whole book yet or even just halfway, let me know what you think.  I am really eager to have some feedback.

I've read part of it, but it might take me a while to finish the whole thing. I'll be able to give you a 4-star review when I'm done. Let me know if you don't want that. (I've heard of some people complaining about only 4 stars.) The reason no 5 is because of the common "needs more editing" problem. Since you can't afford an editor (and many people can't), I suggest brushing up on your editing skills: free one-month online subscription to Chicago Manual of Style and free online lessons on Grammar Monster (http://www.grammar-monster.com/) are good places to start.
On the positive side, I think your voice is a really good fit for young adult, and the story is fast-paced and interesting. There's also a lot of romance in this book that you don't mention in your blurb but probably should to attract more YA readers.
Congratulations on those numbers  :)

Offline RDCULP18

• View Profile
« Reply #24302 on: February 12, 2018, 05:59:00 PM »
I've read part of it, but it might take me a while to finish the whole thing. I'll be able to give you a 4-star review when I'm done. Let me know if you don't want that. (I've heard of some people complaining about only 4 stars.) The reason no 5 is because of the common "needs more editing" problem. Since you can't afford an editor (and many people can't), I suggest brushing up on your editing skills: free one-month online subscription to Chicago Manual of Style and free online lessons on Grammar Monster (http://www.grammar-monster.com/) are good places to start.
On the positive side, I think your voice is a really good fit for young adult, and the story is fast-paced and interesting. There's also a lot of romance in this book that you don't mention in your blurb but probably should to attract more YA readers.
Congratulations on those numbers  :)

Thank you :)  Four Stars sounds great!  I would love to see your review on Knight School's Kindle Store/Amazon  page!  I'll try and check out those editing sites you mentioned, those will probably help me out a lot.  I didn't know if the romance was a big enough part of the plot when I first started writing Knight School (the story changed a lot over the years, I went through a lot of drafts) to include it in the blurb, but now that you mention it that would attract more YA readers.  I'll try and work on something including that in the morning.  Tell me what you think about the ending, after you finish reading, and if you think it merits a sequel (which is something I'm working on).

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24303 on: February 12, 2018, 07:51:04 PM »
Amazingly, I was finally on H&T this weekend but fell back off this morning. It was exciting and exhausting, as I nervously checked exactly 50 minutes after each hour to see if my book was still on the list. Today I kept checking, but I know it won't get back up there without more promotion. Anyway, I started a FB ad yesterday with one interest targeted. It seems to be doing well, but I'm not on H&T, so maybe it's not.
Kalen, can you or some other FB ad expert please explain these numbers?
  409 impressions
  169 people taking action?
  0 clicks on my Learn More button
What kind of action would those people be taking? I have a hyperlink to my KS page in the text above the photo. Does that mean they're clicking the link? Hopefully it doesn't mean they're checking out my FB author page, which is still completely blank.
I'm thinking about running a second ad, but I can't tell if I'm getting any results.
All thoughts appreciated  :)

Wouldn't say I'm an expert, just have a bit of experience. Have you had any likes of the ad itself? I know those count as actions, but they tend to be few and far between usually. Is it set up as a PPC (pay per click) or otherwise? I believe if it is a boosted post that is long and the reader hits the "extended view" part to read more of the post, then that also is an action as well. Not sure if that is part of your ad's setup or not, of course.

After the first weekend, mine were all set to PPC to the kindle scout preview page, so resulted in page views on kindle scout. That coincides with external sourcing attributed to facebook (from various devices) in the kindle scout statistics on external views. I found it nice to have the double verification that way. Those would all count as clicks with costs though.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:53:53 PM by kalencap »

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna since 2015
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #24304 on: February 13, 2018, 01:06:08 AM »
It's Tuesday morning. I've got a hectic week ahead of me. Tomorrow evening I will be speaking at a Dalhousie University storytelling class. Thursday I will spend the whole day storytelling at an elementary school. And then Friday I go to interview for whom I hope will become my new doctor. I haven't had a doctor for a year or so.

Now let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

2 days left Coyote Ate the Stars by E.A. Van Stralen
3 days left Trip to Turbulence by James F. Walsh
4 days left Electric Gardens by M. Black
9 days left Wards and Wonders by Kay L. Ling
9 days left Ghostly Intentions by Jill James
9 days left The Haunting of Kaleb Bell by W. & W. Sawday
9 days left hypnoSnatch by Trisha Mcnary
10 days left The Lunar Deception by T.E. Olivant
12 days left The Last Hunter by Lee Hayton
13 days left Don't Ask, Don't Tell by Monte Dutton
16 days left Kingshold by D.P. Woolliscroft
16 days left Ghost and Found by Kimberly G. Giarratano
16 days left Forever Young by Sue Seabury
16 days left A Woman of the Road by Amy Wolf
17 days left The Lost Tomb of Cleopatra by J.T. Osbourne
17 days left Vic Boyo, Doofus Detective in: Double Murders are Twice as Bad by Milo James Fowler
19 days left The Space in You by K.D. Lovgren
20 days left Neon Sands: A Trilogy by Adam J. Smith
23 days left Goddess Rudra by Ignatius Variath
23 days left Vengeance of Dracula by James Mascia
23 days left I Spy a Scarecrow by Bradon Nave
23 days left Undone by the Earl by Elizabeth Rue
24 days left Hexborn by A.M. Manay
24 days left Fatal Feast by Betty Kuffel
25 days left Sicarius Soul by Jade Kerrion
25 days left Somebody to Love by Aurelia Fray

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Offline JT Osbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #24305 on: February 13, 2018, 09:51:35 AM »
Hello again all,

I've been away, busy making arrangements to publish my novel, The Human Dilemma, independently. After a long battle with the formatting (the "Look Inside" feature almost drove me crazy), it's now nice and clean and available for download on Amazon.

Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079Q4ZZPK.

As a thank-you for all your help and support, the book will be free for the next few days. If you enjoy satirical soft (social) science fiction with an international angle, grab yourself a copy.

Also, if you spot any issues with the format, content or anything else, feel free to let me know. In general, all feedback is welcome.

Thank you,
R.E. Moore

I have downloaded a copy and will aim to get some thoughts to you within the next couple of weeks!

Offline T E Scott Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #24306 on: February 13, 2018, 12:06:16 PM »
10 days left for the Lunar Deception.  Not many hours h & t but I'm keeping most of my promo money for the launch, whether scout picks it up or not.  So far writing the third book in the series is keeping me from obsessing tooooo much over the scout campaign!

Best of luck to those in waiting limbo.

T E Scott

Offline Walterrhein

• Chippewa Falls, WI
    • View Profile
    • Streets Of Lima
« Reply #24307 on: February 13, 2018, 07:39:31 PM »
Hey Folks! I have a mystery/thriller that has been sitting on the hot list for 6 days, but is losing steam Find out more about it here http://streetsoflima.com/paperclip-kindle-scout/. All nominations are appreciated! Thanks!

Offline Durian11

• View Profile
« Reply #24308 on: February 13, 2018, 08:05:20 PM »
I'm developing a post-KS-rejection plan. Any advice from the wise sages among us would be much-appreciated. สมัครufabet

Offline lychee11

• View Profile
« Reply #24309 on: February 13, 2018, 08:16:29 PM »
 I totally understand feeling super anxious. I haven't been able to write since I put Shame into Scout. Hope you hear soon. ufabet

Offline Variath

• Ernakulam, India
    • View Profile
« Reply #24310 on: February 13, 2018, 10:57:41 PM »
It's Tuesday morning. I've got a hectic week ahead of me. Tomorrow evening I will be speaking at a Dalhousie University storytelling class. Thursday I will spend the whole day storytelling at an elementary school. And then Friday I go to interview for whom I hope will become my new doctor. I haven't had a doctor for a year or so.

Now let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Two slots available and nominated:

Coyote Ate the Stars by E.A. Van Stralen
Trip to Turbulence by James F. Walsh

Best of luck to Stralen and Walsh

Offline Variath

• Ernakulam, India
    • View Profile
« Reply #24311 on: February 13, 2018, 11:04:45 PM »
Still waiting....
Zero hour in H&T and 22 days more to go!
I think I have to find an alterative method to my next book...
Best of luck to those who were in H&T...
https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1VUI0RFCZXBG

Online Cecelia

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24312 on: February 13, 2018, 11:53:11 PM »
My campaign Mystic Evermore just kicked off. Please add me to the list.

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2Y37ZD4NICUBH

Thank you Steve, and folks!

Offline sceptique

• View Profile
    • "The Commander's Daughter" (HARVIE Book One)
« Reply #24313 on: February 14, 2018, 01:19:42 AM »
Coming back after a while.

I've downloaded the final ePub for "The Commander's Daughter" on Amazon.

Regarding giving a free copy to all who nominated it - here is your link, guys:

Colin Moerdyke. The Commander's Daughter. (HARVIE Book 1).

Happy Valentine!  :)

Kindle Scout campaign -
"The Commander's Daughter" (HARVIE Book One)
https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/3S650OYOVGEFS

Offline sceptique

• View Profile
    • "The Commander's Daughter" (HARVIE Book One)
« Reply #24314 on: February 14, 2018, 01:25:23 AM »
A follow-up on the discussion "how mediculous are Kindle Scout selection team when reading the manuscript?"

Here is another part of my feedback from them:

Copyediting comments:

The manuscript is very well-edited, and this made a very favorable impression on us. We came across just a few typos that we wanted to bring to your attention:

There is a blank space before the in "enchant". It seems to be a kerning error rather than an actual extra space, but either way we recommend fixing it before publication.

"Siting" should be "sitting"

"sat down three steaming plates" should be "set down three steaming plates"

"Haven't done it once" should be "Hasn't done it once"

We do not read or speak Japanese, but we do know that the language is read right-to-left when it's written horizontally. Therefore, it strikes us as unexpected that the period would appear on the right side of this line: 申し訳ございませんでした。

"jolly tune" is used twice in close proximity, and so it strikes the ear as an echo. We recommend changing one of the instances.

"nooks and crannies" is used twice in close proximity, and so it strikes the ear as an echo. We recommend changing one of the instances.

"oriental girl" should be "Asian girl" (the rule of thumb is that oriental applies to objects, but Asian applies to people)

"It was her who killed him" should be "It was she who killed him"

It doesn't get any nitpickier than that, IMO! :)
(And they are wrong - Japanese text is read top to bottom when written vertically, and lines are read right to left. When written horizontally it is read left to right, just as any Latin text.)

But they were right - it needs to be either dot or comma. I'm going for a dot. :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 06:08:41 AM by sceptique »
Kindle Scout campaign -
"The Commander's Daughter" (HARVIE Book One)
https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/3S650OYOVGEFS

Offline ReaderPaul

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24315 on: February 14, 2018, 03:21:25 AM »
I have been liberated from Kindle Scout Limbo.

Secret of The Lost Key has been..
Rejected.

I did have to wait about 14 days past my KS expiry date, which in terms of torture, is like waiting for a kick in the ghoulies. Swiftly delivered, I am now licking my wounds before proceeding with KDP. It's the format that can enable me to send my work out into the world for a time, using the free promotion. For all the kind souls that nominated me, I still owe them that free copy.

I wish everyone still involved in the process, a hearty best of luck. Unbowed, I shall return to KS. Keep an eye out in Steve's list for the what happens next phase. I hope to include a link to my lovely book in it.

Many thanks.

Paul Kilmartin
Never rush, savour, enjoy and if you get the chance. Read it again.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna since 2015
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #24316 on: February 14, 2018, 04:34:15 AM »
It's Wednesday and i have the day off.

Let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Updated List

1 day left Coyote Ate the Stars by E.A. Van Stralen
2 days left Trip to Turbulence by James F. Walsh
3 days left Electric Gardens by M. Black
8 days left Wards and Wonders by Kay L. Ling
8 days left Ghostly Intentions by Jill James
8 days left The Haunting of Kaleb Bell by W. & W. Sawday
8 days left hypnoSnatch by Trisha Mcnary
9 days left The Lunar Deception by T.E. Olivant
11 days left The Last Hunter by Lee Hayton
12 days left Don't Ask, Don't Tell by Monte Dutton
15 days left Kingshold by D.P. Woolliscroft
15 days left Ghost and Found by Kimberly G. Giarratano
15 days left Forever Young by Sue Seabury
15 days left A Woman of the Road by Amy Wolf
16 days left The Lost Tomb of Cleopatra by J.T. Osbourne
16 days left Vic Boyo, Doofus Detective in: Double Murders are Twice as Bad by Milo James Fowler
18 days left The Space in You by K.D. Lovgren
19 days left Neon Sands: A Trilogy by Adam J. Smith
22 days left Goddess Rudra by Ignatius Variath
22 days left Vengeance of Dracula by James Mascia
22 days left I Spy a Scarecrow by Bradon Nave
22 days left Undone by the Earl by Elizabeth Rue
22 days left Paperclip by Dan Woll & Walter Rhein
23 days left Hexborn by A.M. Manay
23 days left Fatal Feast by Betty Kuffel
24 days left Sicarius Soul by Jade Kerrion
24 days left Somebody to Love by Aurelia Fray
29 days left A Trail of Embers by C.A. Kinnee
29 days left Mystic Evermore by Cecilia Hopkins

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Offline JT Osbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #24317 on: February 14, 2018, 04:37:02 AM »
Hey Folks! I have a mystery/thriller that has been sitting on the hot list for 6 days, but is losing steam Find out more about it here http://streetsoflima.com/paperclip-kindle-scout/. All nominations are appreciated! Thanks!

I have your book saved and will nominate it when a spot comes free; I'm really excited for it!

Offline lossincasa

• Greece
    • View Profile
    • Paradise Regained
« Reply #24318 on: February 14, 2018, 04:42:52 AM »
Always lurking and reading new posts here, trying to finish my Sins of Reem all the while enjoying winter :)

I nominate Coyote Ate the Stars. Good luck!!

PS: Freyja's Torc  is Free for a couple of days at Amazon. Grab it while it's hot, here's the link :D
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075S1N8L6
Jester : 100%

Frejya's Torc : 100%
Angelo Tsanatelis | Paradise Regained

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24319 on: February 14, 2018, 04:49:42 AM »
A follow-up on the discussion "how mediculous are Kindle Scout selection yeam when reading the manuscript?"

Here is another part of my feedback from them:

Copyediting comments:

Good to see such specific detail. Always good to catch such things before going on sale.

The manuscript is very well-edited, and this made a very favorable impression on us. We came across just a few typos that we wanted to bring to your attention:

There is a blank space before the in "enchant". It seems to be a kerning error rather than an actual extra space, but either way we recommend fixing it before publication.

"Siting" should be "sitting"

"sat down three steaming plates" should be "set down three steaming plates"

"Haven't done it once" should be "Hasn't done it once"

We do not read or speak Japanese, but we do know that the language is read right-to-left when it's written horizontally. Therefore, it strikes us as unexpected that the period would appear on the right side of this line: 申し訳ございませんでした。

"jolly tune" is used twice in close proximity, and so it strikes the ear as an echo. We recommend changing one of the instances.

"nooks and crannies" is used twice in close proximity, and so it strikes the ear as an echo. We recommend changing one of the instances.

"oriental girl" should be "Asian girl" (the rule of thumb is that oriental applies to objects, but Asian applies to people)

"It was her who killed him" should be "It was she who killed him"

It doesn't get any nitpickier than that, IMO! :)
(And they are wrong - Japanese text is read top to bottom when written vertically, and lines are read right to left. When written horizontally it is read left to right, just as any Latin text.)

But they were right - it needs to be either dot or comma. I'm going for a dot. :)

Good to see such detail. Always better to catch such matters before available to the public for sale,
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:53:48 AM by kalencap »

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24320 on: February 14, 2018, 04:52:07 AM »

Secret of The Lost Key has been..
Rejected.

I did have to wait about 14 days past my KS expiry date, which in terms of torture, is like waiting for a kick in the ghoulies. Swiftly delivered, I am now licking my wounds before proceeding with KDP. It's the format that can enable me to send my work out into the world for a time, using the free promotion. For all the kind souls that nominated me, I still owe them that free copy.

I wish everyone still involved in the process, a hearty best of luck. Unbowed, I shall return to KS. Keep an eye out in Steve's list for the what happens next phase. I hope to include a link to my lovely book in it.

Many thanks.

Paul Kilmartin

Sorry to hear it wasn't selected. Fortunately, there's lots of experience here from both outcomes.

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #24321 on: February 14, 2018, 06:14:43 AM »
Good to see such detail. Always better to catch such matters before available to the public for sale,
It's a shame this feedback is only going to be available through the end of February. I had hoped to start my next campaign before that, but the first draft isn't quite finished yet, so there's no way. :(

It is clear that the editors look at the manuscripts very closely. Whatever else one thinks about the process, selection is not haphazard.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Missy Wilkinson

• View Profile
    • www.missywilkinson.com/
« Reply #24322 on: February 14, 2018, 09:20:09 AM »
Got my form rejection yesterday evening. It stings. Thanks to everyone for the support and empathy over the last month. This is a great community.

Offline SueSeabury

• View Profile
    • Amazon Author Page
« Reply #24323 on: February 14, 2018, 10:33:52 AM »
Halfway through and I'm saggin' like granny's stockings.
Can anyone tell me how long we have after the campaign ends to publish for Zon to email the people who nominated us about the release? Thanks.
Sue Seabury | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline C.Cross

• View Profile
« Reply #24324 on: February 14, 2018, 01:01:19 PM »

Paul, sorry to hear this and get the email today. I thought your novel was a shoo-in!