Author Topic: What can I do with a short story?  (Read 856 times)  

Offline setherd

• Sunny Florida
    • View Profile
    • hollen.org
What can I do with a short story?
« on: May 19, 2015, 01:22:56 am »
I finished a short story. I was think of putting it up on wattpad and my own site, but then I thought about maybe trying to submit it to some magazines.
I think if I put it up on my site in it's entirety or a place like wattpad it's considered published correct? And I can't submit to most magazines unless they say they submit work that previously published?

I just want to make sure before I do something I'll regret later.
Take care,
Seth

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Abderian

• View Profile
      • JJ Green
    Re: What can I do with a short story?
    « Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 01:33:04 am »
    Yes, that's right. Most magazines prefer work that hasn't appeared to the public in any way before. Previously published work is called reprints, and some magazines do accept reprints, though they may pay a lower rate for them.

Offline Ceinwen

• Western Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 01:38:20 am »
    I recently had a case where I submitted a story to a paying magazine, completely forgetting I'd already put it up on my blog. They just asked me to take it off the blog until the rights they were purchasing ran out (six months). I don't know if that's par for the course, though, and if you definitely know you want to submit it anywhere I'd hold back on posting it.

Offline geronl

• TX
    • Mirrors are scary to me, lol
      • View Profile
      • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
    « Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 01:45:00 am »

Do not submit the story to more than one magazine at a time. About formatting your submission read this: http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html

What genre is it?

Floyd Looney

Offline alawston

• London
    • London-based writer and actor
      • View Profile
      • Andrew K Lawston's intermittent blogular adventures
    « Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 02:49:34 am »
    Depending on the length and the genre, there are loads of places you could submit a short story. Magazines, anthologies, competitions... But yes, you will be limiting your options if you post it online first.

If it's a decent length (I don't know, say, over 5,000 words?), you could even self-publish it on Amazon as an ebook in its own right and try and get some KU borrows from it.
    « Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 02:51:08 am by alawston »

Translator, actor, publishing professional
    Andrew Lawston | Facebook | Twitter

Offline geronl

• TX
    • Mirrors are scary to me, lol
      • View Profile
      • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
    « Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 01:07:36 pm »
    getting a good cover is hard, unless you know someone who can draw/paint really well. lol

Floyd Looney

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
    • Storyteller and Cat Minion
      • View Profile
      • Ineti Press
    « Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 01:12:41 pm »
    I finished a short story. I was think of putting it up on wattpad and my own site, but then I thought about maybe trying to submit it to some magazines.
    I think if I put it up on my site in it's entirety or a place like wattpad it's considered published correct? And I can't submit to most magazines unless they say they submit work that previously published?

I just want to make sure before I do something I'll regret later.

If you intend to submit it to markets, don't put it up anywhere online (blog, Wattpad, etc.). Nothing wrong with sending it to markets first--you might get a sale and some free advertising. Make a short list of professional paying markets (the grinder can help with that) and if you don't get a sale, put it up for sale as an indie product or post to blog or whatever or use as a freebie story for your newsletter/mailing list.

Offline setherd

• Sunny Florida
      • View Profile
      • hollen.org
    « Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 08:00:44 pm »
    Do not submit the story to more than one magazine at a time. About formatting your submission read this: http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html

What genre is it?

Not sure LOL, it was for a contest. I guess literary fiction. It's a sad piece, just 1200 words about a wife and mother moving out of her house after her husband dies.

thanks for the info everyone!
    « Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 08:03:33 pm by setherd »
    Take care,
    Seth

Offline Joe Vasicek

• Anywhere but Earth
    • May all your dreams come true, save one
      • View Profile
      • One Thousand and One Parsecs
    « Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 08:08:26 pm »
    If you're looking for markets to submit to, I highly recommend The Grinder:

http://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/

Offline TonyWrites

• Twin Cities, MN
    • Writer, Editor, Word Lover
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 03:13:41 pm »
    I volunteered from mid-2013 to early 2015 as a "slush" reader for an ezine called Every Day Fiction.  Here is my advice based on the submissions I saw during my stint:

-EDF would not accept previously published material, including self-published stories.  Even so, there were several times where an author failed to check the guidelines and submitted a previously published one. Always check the guidelines of the publication you submit to beforehand.  EDF also did not accept simultaneous submissions.  Its staff were displeased whenever an author contacted them to say their story had been submitted elsewhere. (Again, always check the publication's guidelines first.)
    -EDF often recieved stories that still needed work as to plot, pacing, and (especially) grammar.  Make sure to have double and triple checked your story before submitting it to the market its genre fits.  Your chances of publication will improve dramatically.  Nothing bores a slush reader quicker than a poorly crafted story -- and nothing holds his or her attention better than an excellent one.  ;D
    -EDF's staff would sometimes request rewrites of a story they found interesting and would like to accept but felt it needed more work. Be prepared for this possibility when submitting a short story.
    -EDF sometimes picked stories that pushed the envelope of their guidelines. This did not always happen, but it did on occasion.  This is a good indicator of the 50/50 odds authors face when submitting stories to publications.  The staff is only human, and picks and chooses according to what appeals to them.
    -EDF once had "bottom feeder" commentators that liked to belittle authors whose stories got published. (Sadly, a regular EDF contributor was one of them.)  EDF finally clamped down on this, but be wary if your story is published in an e-zine that has a comments section just about anyone who thinks they can write is able to comment with.

If you have any questions, let me know.
    Good luck with your story.  :)
    « Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 03:16:30 pm by TonyWrites »

"Shadow of the Indianapolis", by Tony Held". "Editor's Choice" for Issue #1 of "The Remnant Leaf":
    https://www.theremnantleaf.com/single-post/2017/08/09/Fiction-No1-Shadow-of-the-Indianapolis

Need help with your book?  Try Held Editing Services.
    www.heldediting.com

Offline AJ_Powers

• View Profile
      • AJ Powers - Author
    « Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 04:41:50 pm »
    Good info, TonyWrites. Thanks for sharing that. :)

Offline Heather Hamilton-Senter

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 06:21:36 pm »
    I've posted a similar question in another thread - good answers there too!

Heather Hamilton-Senter | Book Cover Artistry

Offline TonyWrites

• Twin Cities, MN
    • Writer, Editor, Word Lover
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 09:52:42 pm »
    Good info, TonyWrites. Thanks for sharing that. :)

You are very welcome.  :)

Knowing the stuff I discussed above will save you a lot of wasted time if you are an aspiring short story author seeking to break into published markets.  I sure wish I knew that stuff when I was stumbling about in the literary world half-fatigued from my old job submitting short stories that needed A. more work and B. often were sent to the wrong markets.  Trial and error sure sucks sometimes.

"Shadow of the Indianapolis", by Tony Held". "Editor's Choice" for Issue #1 of "The Remnant Leaf":
    https://www.theremnantleaf.com/single-post/2017/08/09/Fiction-No1-Shadow-of-the-Indianapolis

Need help with your book?  Try Held Editing Services.
    www.heldediting.com

KBoards.com

• Advertisement