Author Topic: Text-to- speech not working  (Read 498 times)  

Offline raynsally

• View Profile
Text-to- speech not working
« on: March 17, 2010, 11:54:11 am »
Received my k2 for Christmas. After reading the chapter several times, I started playing with the read to me yesterday. Not much luck. Had to push turn on 5 or 6 times. When it going it keeps cutting out, when you pause it you can't get it back. A screen keeps coming up saying encountered an unexpected error. Restart from settings, when I get to settings all I find is my reg. and info. By this time I can't get back to my place in the book. Once the book ended up in the archive, the battery drained twice in one day. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I gotta tell you this feller doin the readin sounds bored with my book. He reads with no expression whats so ever. Hope someone understands what I'm talking about. Electronics are not my thing.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline BTackitt

• Texas, USA
      • View Profile
    Re: Text-to- speech not working
    « Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 12:08:55 pm »
    What title are you reading? Some of them have the Text-to-speech blocked.
    "If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty." ~Japanese Proverb

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • Nothin' but a hound dog.
      • View Profile
      • Carmen-Ashland Building
    « Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 12:15:16 pm »
    It's just a simulated voice, it is never going to sound like a proper audiobook.

To reset your K2, hold the slider switch for 30+ seconds until the unit reboots. That may fix your problem, or it could be an issue with that particular ebook file.
       my e-readers: Kindle 2 Kindle 3 nook iPad Sony-950

Offline raynsally

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 12:37:31 pm »
    I did the reboot yesterday and I think it must have reset itself this morning. A line ran across the screen that I hadn't seen before, when I turned it on. I had it reading Mansfield Park that I got from Amazon. It advertises text to speech. By the way I really knew that wasn't a real voice. I was just makin fun of it.

Offline Labnick

• Massachusetts
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 03:43:48 pm »
    I had this same issue!!!  I use TTS frequently and one day out of the blue this happened and I received the same error message you did.  I called customer service and they confirmed the book I was reading was enabled for TTS (which I already knew).   He had me do a soft boot and once it rebooted I downloaded the updated software 2.3.3 at the time.  I have since received the 2.3.4.  Anyway all had been good up until yesterday and I received the same error message.  I just powered down my kindle and the TTS was back. I did not do the soft boot.   If this happens again I'll be calling customer service once again.   I recommed you call customer service and have them walk you through it like they did for me.  They were fantastic.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement