Author Topic: Testing out $100 on Amazon's PPC ads. Will report.  (Read 2418 times)  

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
  • Author, Parks Commissioner
    • View Profile
Testing out $100 on Amazon's PPC ads. Will report.
« on: June 04, 2015, 09:52:41 am »
Over the years for my day job, I figure I've managed more than $20,000 of pay per click (PPC) ads on Google and Facebook for clients. I *think* I've gotten pretty good at it.

So testing PPC for my own books seemed like a worthwhile experiment.

Here's why I think I might have a chance at making this work:

• The book is about fundraising for nonprofits, which means I should have pretty easy targeting to other books on Amazon.
  • The book has a high price point at $9.99/Kindle, plus it's out in paperback and audiobook. So there's a good chance to make some real money if I do get clicks.
  • There are three other books I've written for small nonprofits, one on social media and one on of boards. So a successful purchase that gets a customer into my ecosystem gives me the chance at two more sales, also each at $9.99

Here are the cons:
  • PPC advertising takes awhile to get right. I will need to experiment, so some of the first $100 won't be well spent. That's assuming it CAN be viable.
  • I had to put my book in KDP Select, which I wasn't crazy about. It has made sales on other platforms, although just a handful. I also don't know how much the borrows will affect my chance at real sales.

I thought I would keep folks here in the loop on how this experiment goes. I know it won't affect a lot of you with fiction, but hopefully the data should be revealing.

Here's my starting criteria:

• I'm targeting 22 books about fundraising and nonprofit management. I would have chosen to target by genre, but I can't drill down to the same level of the list I can when I select my category (Nonprofits and Charities) and anything higher than that will be too broad. This might be too small, but we'll see.
  • My maximum bid is $0.75/click. This is higher than the average they recommended. My goal is to test the viability of PPC, so driving people to the page is more important (initially) than figuring out the sweet spot for ads. If people buy, I'll start gradually reducing the average price I pay per click.
  • Budget is $100, and I told Amazon to spend it as fast as possible. This is the opposite of most budgets I run for PPC where I spread it out over a month. The benefit (I figure) is that if it *does* work, spending it at fast as possible will have the side benefit of driving me up the charts. Again, we'll see.

I was approved today. According to Amazon it will take 2 to 3 days for full data to begin.

Previous sales:

Last month I sold 11 Kindle copies of the book, 21 paperbacks on Amazon, and 19 audiobooks.

So far this month, I've sold 3 Kindle copies, 1 paperback, and 2 audiobooks. It will take at least 15 new Kindle sales to break even on the $100 (not counting any additional sales of the other two books over time, which really should be counted, but that's harder to measure at this point).

So there we are. Let the games begin!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline thewitt

• Charlotte, NC
      • View Profile
      • The Triadine Saga
    Re: Testing out $100 on Amazon's PPC ads. Will report.
    « Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 09:59:49 am »
    You might want to check out Mark Dawson's free videos on Facebook ads if you have not already done so.  He's killing it on Facebook.

Author of The Traidine Saga: An Epic Fantasy
    Timothy Bond | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Amazon | TakeAHike

Offline ArchangelEST

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 10:12:06 am »
    I think that with Amazon it's not as much of an issue with click costs, but click through rate. Which is absolutely horrible as far as I've heard.

Even if you get your ads to stay visible 24/7, that $100 might still last you a few months, lol.  ;D

But it's been a while since I looked into this, maybe things have gotten better. Will be keeping an eye on this thread.  8)
    James H. Mayfield |  | Amazon Author |

Offline dragontucker

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 10:49:42 am »
    I bet there are some authors that are secretly doing well with amazon ads.

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 11:31:15 am »
    @thewitt, thank you! I'll download his videos and check them out!

@ArchangelEST. That's what I'm wondering too. They seem to have more place books are displaying than at first. We'll see. But CTR on Google or Facebook is minuscule too. They just have huge audiences to make up for it. We'll see if Amazon does.

@dragontucker I can definitely imagine that's the case. I won't keep it secret, though! ;) If it works, I'd love to share it with KBoards after all the useful tips and ideas I've gotten here.

Offline Philip Gibson

• Laos (Moved from Yorkshire)
    • Philip and Cookie the Dog
      • View Profile
      • Hashtag Histories
    « Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 11:37:35 am »
    Please do keep us informed as you continue to experiment and make changes.

You're just doing this on Amazon, right?

Philip

What if there had been social media during important historical events?
    Philip Gibson | Hashtag Histories | Word By Word Graded Readers for Children

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 11:52:49 am »
    Philip, yes this is just the Amazon PPC system. It's available only to books in Select.

I took screenshots of the 5 different places they show ads may appear:

The bottom image is the most appealing placement to me, but I think the idea is that it shows up on all of them if I win the auction against other potential ads.

Offline BlueGen

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 11:58:38 am »
    Bookmarked this!

I will be very keen to hear your results. Thanks for sharing your stuff with us.

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 01:38:27 pm »
    Here's my three week update:

It's pretty disappointing. Those two "sales" were during my five day free promo. In fact, most of the clicks were during that time as well.

My impressions were only in the hundreds for the first week. It took awhile for them to start building as high as this.

I'm considering changing my targeting strategy: a wider net in order to grab more clicks. Tweaking the headline might help, I suppose. I haven't given up yet, but certainly not impressed.

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 04:45:09 pm »
    My current sales tab.

I'm testing the "interest" sales option right now because it allows me to advertise on Kindle screens. The downside of this: I can't target any more narrowly than "business and money: industries." That means a lot of people are seeing it who are not my target audience.

But the book is clearly for nonprofits so I figure that anyone who clicked was viable. But maybe not given these numbers.

I might do another targeted campaign to see how that goes. (This one was canceled when my book was kicked out of Select because a retailer hadn't pulled it down even four weeks later.)

Offline Northern pen

• North
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 06:15:38 pm »
    Now do a $100 google ads campaign.

Then a $100 Facebook ads campaign.   :P :P be our sacraficial lamb to the knowledge gods

Offline Christine Tate

• Virginia Beach, VA
      • View Profile
      • Christine Tate
    « Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 05:28:16 am »
    I'm running my own test of Amazon's PPC right now.  It will run for 1 month (8/1/15-8/31/15).  I chose the ad by related products option with a $100 budget and .45 bid which is the low range of their suggested price bids.  I chose 5 books on marriage by Joyce Meyers and Kay Arthur for placement reference for my Group Hug Marriage book.  Let the games begin!