Author Topic: Elves just want to have fun!  (Read 68761 times)  

Offline Archer

• Alterra
  • Author of Elfhunter, Fire-heart, Ravenshade
    • View Profile
    • www.elfhunter.net
Re: Elves just want to have fun!
« Reply #375 on: May 02, 2010, 09:56:14 am »
Okay, Anna...that's 'one' post!  :)
NOW AVAILABLE FROM PARTHIAN PRESS

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline kcrady

• Las Cruces, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #376 on: May 02, 2010, 10:40:23 am »
    It's you, K...

Pick your prize! A t-shirt? A poster? A map? (You already have all three DTB, right?) A book for someone else as a gift?

Wow!  I really didn't expect that!  Thanks once again!  I'm thinking about what I want this time - I'll let you know in a bit.

Good luck everyone on the next round!

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end" - Ursula K. Le Guin

Offline Winter9

• Norway
    • Books read on Kindle 2015: 4
      • View Profile
      • Winters verden av e-boklesere og bker
    « Reply #377 on: May 02, 2010, 12:15:44 pm »
    Congrats kcrady :D

I should go to bed soon. Do I want to? Nopes... Oh well...
    Proud Kindle-owner since 2.February 2010 (15.22)
    Add me on goodreads: Winter9
    Recommended: Michael R. Hicks In Her Name
    Reading now:
    Michael R.Hicks - The Legend of The Sword
    C.S.Marks - Elfhunter
    J.R.R. Tolkien - The Lord of The Rings
    Jacob Abbott - Xerxes , Makers of History

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #378 on: May 02, 2010, 12:21:20 pm »
    Okay, Anna...that's 'one' post!  :)
    :D It was a short post since I was posting from my K2. I was reading some of the posts in the "Stump the Author" thread to DH during breakfast at a restaurant. How else could we discuss human/elf/dwarf/... offspring? ;D I checked this thread during the drive home and had to post. ;)

Wow! Still awake Winter9? Sleep well.

Offline mom2karen

• View Profile
    « Reply #379 on: May 02, 2010, 01:32:15 pm »
    Yeah, the K2 isn't very good for longs posts, but at least you can stay caught up.

We gave the pooch his first bath.  He has longer hair than I'm used to and brushing it while wet was impossible.  Karen took him for a long walk in the sun and I brushed him when he got back. He sits down the minute I start brushing him so I tossed food on the ground for him to scavenge.  He looked at me a few times while I was attacking his tail with the brush, but decided to keep eating instead of sit on it.  He smells good now and hopefully will stop itching. 

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #380 on: May 02, 2010, 05:49:43 pm »
    Ahhh...clean pooch! Nothing like it! I love it when ours come back from their annual dental cleanings, too!

Offline kcrady

• Las Cruces, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #381 on: May 02, 2010, 06:59:48 pm »
    Hey archer, I think I'd love to have one of those wonderful t-shirts of yours for my prize.

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end" - Ursula K. Le Guin

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #382 on: May 02, 2010, 07:01:26 pm »
    HAHAHAHAA! Another unsuspecting victim turned into a walking billboard! Muaahahahahahaaaa!

(ahem!)
    Errr....I mean, why, SURE, K! Just send me a pm with size you would like.
     :D

Offline Winter9

• Norway
      • View Profile
    « Reply #383 on: May 03, 2010, 01:01:01 am »
    Morning!

I love that this thread is more active again, I appreciate you guys! You are a fine group of elves  :D

Today is normal day again, and I'm  actually going to ride today Archer! Some dressage and a little bit in the forest. :)
    Reading now:
    C.S.Marks - Elfhunter

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #384 on: May 03, 2010, 03:17:22 am »
    Ah! Good idea. Nothing improves my mood like a nice ride. I probably won't ride today because we had SO much rain that the trails will be both fragile and treacherous. I only have the forest to ride in!  ;)

Have fun and be safe! (Wear your helmet.)

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #385 on: May 03, 2010, 05:14:05 am »
    Absolutely be careful with the head, folks.
    I have lost two close friends from falls that became fatal because of head injuries.

Just sayin......

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #386 on: May 03, 2010, 05:30:10 am »
    I hope to go riding today too for the first time this year!  I typically bring my bike in to work and ride during lunch once the weather gets decent up here in the Northeast.  Yesterday we had 91 degrees, but today we have drizzle so it may have to wait.  We'll see what noon brings, but I can't wait to get back out there and to lose the winter, errr, "padding".   ;)

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #387 on: May 03, 2010, 05:33:08 am »
    Oh, Geoff! So sorry to hear that.
    I am, as you know, a Professor of Equine Science by trade.
    I am also known at our institution as the 'Helmet Nazi'.

'Nough said.

HEY, guys...there's a really important question I want to ask you. When the new restructuring goes into effect, I am considering putting all three books at 2.99 each.

Here are the questions:
    1. When you first decided to purchase Elfhunter, what factors entered into your decision?
    2. Having read it, do you believe you would be unhappy if you had paid 2.99?
    3. Do you believe you would have purchased it for 2.99 to begin with, if you had read the sample and such?
    4. If I can save file space by removing illustrations, and therefore keep the 99 cent price point, should I do so?
    5. What if I re-formatted to include all three books in a single purchase? (It would be ENORMOUS, but I could do it).
    6. If I re-price, the entire trilogy is still less than ten dollars. Do you think that's reasonable?

(Basically, I'm wondering whether my stuff is 'established' enough to survive the increase. What say you?)

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #388 on: May 03, 2010, 05:57:45 am »
    Archer, I think when I first got my Kindle I was overwhelmed by the number of books that were free and $.99.  It was a great way for me to see what the Kindle was all about.  As of today, Fire-heart has been my most expensive book I've bought for the Kindle.   However, now that I've had the Kindle for a while, I'm looking more into content and quality.

So, that being said, I would DEFINITELY say the Elfhunter trilogy is worth the $2.99/ea price.  If there were no ratings associated with it (basically if it was only just released) I might think twice about $2.99, but you have a ton of 5-star ratings and it shouldn't be an issue.  Also, if Amazon is making the new $.99 into $2.99, then that's how people will be looking as well.  Having read it, I feel guilty for picking it up so cheaply given everything I got from the trilogy.  :-[ 

My biggest concern would be the people that are new to Kindle and are only sorting on $.99 and below.  How many are those?  No idea.  The problem is, people will not likely buy Fire-heart or Ravenshade if they've not read Elfhunter.  What you could do, perhaps, is make it so you can go $.99 for Elfhunter and then go $3.99 for Fire-heart and Ravenshade.  After reading Elfhunter people will easily go higher for to rest of the trilogy.  Do you also have them on smashwords and others?

So, enough of the verbose...here are my specific answers:
    1. When you first decided to purchase Elfhunter, what factors entered into your decision?  wanted to change genres from what I'd been reading
    2. Having read it, do you believe you would be unhappy if you had paid 2.99?  not a chance I'd be unhappy
    3. Do you believe you would have purchased it for 2.99 to begin with, if you had read the sample and such?  only if there were ratings from previous readers...I don't tend to read samples
    4. If I can save file space by removing illustrations, and therefore keep the 99 cent price point, should I do so?  I wouldn't...the pictures give readers "your" sense of what things look like as they were intended; it's helpful
    5. What if I re-formatted to include all three books in a single purchase? (It would be ENORMOUS, but I could do it).  might be more valuable in a DTB; with the Kindle I don't think it would be worth the effort
    6. If I re-price, the entire trilogy is still less than ten dollars. Do you think that's reasonable?  most definately!

Online Tip10

• Southern Illinois
      • View Profile
    « Reply #389 on: May 03, 2010, 06:02:38 am »

Archer, here's the answers from my perspective:

1. When I decided to purchase Elfhunter it was driven almost entirely based upon the recommendations I read on KindleBoards. 

2. Is this a serious question?   ???  Ummm, no, $2.99 wouldn't have made me unhappy -- but then again I'm not sure $9.99 would have either after having read it!!!  Hades, having read it I'm not sure $15.99 would have made me unhappy either!!  ;)

3.  I firmly believe that I'd have purchased it at $2.99 -- after seeing the recommendations here and reading the sample I'm pretty certain the $2.99 price point would not have been an issue.

4.  I don't know -- in the world of Kindle (or e-book in general at this point) I'm not sure what effect the illustrations would have on it.  Personally  think they are wonderful and add to the mind's picture your writing invokes.
    Here's a question for you -- can you put totally free books up on Amazon? Reason I ask is would it be possible to move the illustrations and appendices out to an Alterra Companion book and give it away for free -- would that cut down on the size enough to sneak it under the limit?  Perhaps a synopsis of each book followed by its illustrations, maps and appendices in the freebie and then the good stuff in the books?????

5.  I think trying to get new folks to bite on a ginormous first shot at the $9 mark or wherever might be harder to do than getting them in the door at $2.99 and hooking them (and I'd venture to say most will end up hooked) and then getting them to spring for the rest.

6.  I don't see any problems at all with the trilogy being priced at the $2.99 each price point.  But then again I've read it!  ;D  Ideally I'd think the $0.99 or $1.99 for Elfhunter and $2.99 for Fireheart and Ravenshade might work better but I'm not sure that $2.99 for all three would seriously hurt -- you are getting some pretty strong review and recommendations and should be able to hold you own.

Bottom line Archer.  I think you can hold your own at the $2.99 mark -- I don't think eliminating the illustrations to keep it below that would have any major bad impact, I'd just hate to see others miss out on the illustrations.

Hope this helps.
    Never Engage in a Battle of Wits With an Unarmed Person.

I don't suffer from Insanity -- I rather enjoy it!

Offline kcrady

• Las Cruces, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #390 on: May 03, 2010, 06:10:20 am »
    1. When you first decided to purchase Elfhunter, what factors entered into your decision?
    I'm a long time fan of fantasy and a fan of Tolkien, so based on the book description and user reviews I knew I wanted to read it
    I would have considered it money well spent
    3. Do you believe you would have purchased it for 2.99 to begin with, if you had read the sample and such?
    Like what ibrewalot said, when I first purchased Elfhunter I was looking at low cost books.  I might have purchased this one anyway based on reviews, but can't say for certain
    4. If I can save file space by removing illustrations, and therefore keep the 99 cent price point, should I do so?
    No, I don't think so - the illustrations really add to the value of the book overall
    5. What if I re-formatted to include all three books in a single purchase? (It would be ENORMOUS, but I could do it).
    again I agree with ibrewalot - it matters little to me whether the ebook is under 1 cover or 3, and I would have had to think a lot harder about buying a single volume for 9.99 (for example) than a first book for .99 or even 2.99.  It would have sat on my wish list for a long time, I think
    6. If I re-price, the entire trilogy is still less than ten dollars. Do you think that's reasonable?
    You're joking, right?  I'd pay 9.99 for your next book alone if I had to - less than ten dollars for your first trilogy is a bargain now that I'm hooked!

Offline Rie142

• Seattle Area
      • View Profile
    « Reply #391 on: May 03, 2010, 06:44:21 am »

Here are the questions:

1. When you first decided to purchase Elfhunter, what factors entered into your decision?  Lets see, The fact that it was a book about Elves made me want to read it.  It was nice that it was very inexpensive.   I just bought it no samples. 

2. Having read it, do you believe you would be unhappy if you had paid 2.99?     No I would have paid eventually 2.99 for it.  Just might have taken a bit longer.

3. Do you believe you would have purchased it for 2.99 to begin with, if you had read the sample and such?  I would have bought it at $2.99.   I usually don't read samples.  I am just one of those odd people.  However I do read descriptions/snippets about the books.   Like what would come on the back cover of a book.   If I had read the sample I would have bought the book at 6.99.   :)

4. If I can save file space by removing illustrations, and therefore keep the 99 cent price point, should I do so? I suppose so.  The maps were unreadable to me.   But then I love the illustrations of the people in the stories.   No raise the price keep the illustrations.

5. What if I re-formatted to include all three books in a single purchase? (It would be ENORMOUS, but I could do it).  Oh I would have bought this.  I like a series of books all together.   I said I was odd.   :)   

6. If I re-price, the entire trilogy is still less than ten dollars. Do you think that's reasonable?  That is very reasonable. 
    « Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 06:48:04 am by Rie142 »

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #392 on: May 03, 2010, 06:55:38 am »
    This is very helpful. I will have more to say later...hopefully a few more of you will weigh in. I know this is a biased sample, as you wouldn't be hangin' in the Elfhunter Book Klub if you hadn't at least sort of enjoyed it, but you guys ARE my target readership! Your tastes obviously (in addition to being superb and refined) are compatible with my writing style.  :D

Methinks I should (upon my next opportunity to post in the Alterran thread, which won't be until next Sunday unless someone else posts there) post the questions there or direct others here...might get some different views, which are also helpful.

Rie, I hate it that the laps are so eensy! We tried everything to make them bigger. Nothing worked.
    The maps are beautiful and helpful...wish I could figure it out! :-[

Offline kcrady

• Las Cruces, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #393 on: May 03, 2010, 07:10:51 am »
    Just posted in your Bazaar thread so you don't have to wait a week...

Offline Rie142

• Seattle Area
      • View Profile
    « Reply #394 on: May 03, 2010, 07:11:23 am »
    Don't worry about the maps.  You can either see them or you can't.   I just go to the DTB that you kindly let me win and I look in it.  LOL

Offline Winter9

• Norway
      • View Profile
    « Reply #395 on: May 03, 2010, 07:20:54 am »

Here are the questions:
    First time I saw them I liked the covers. I put them on my wishlist. Then I got here, discovered that you were here also. I heard lots of good things about it, so I bought it! I think a smaller price on the first book in a series is always nice, but I would have bought this one anyway. However. I do believe that people get easily attracted to books priced really low. When they discover the author and like it, they don't mind paying more for the rest of the books. It's also a little thing to have in mind that it's $2 extra for us outside US. 
    Of course not Arch, you know I loved it!
    I had not discovered samples yet then, but if I had yep. But I am here, I knew pretty much about it before I read it. If I didn't knew you at all or any of your fans, I would just buy it based on other things. The price would be higher for me then, and allthough I liked the covers, It might be that it would have taken some time to get around to it.
    NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't EVER EVER do that!!!!
    Yes, I think so, and you are quite established already, I hope it will sell well anyway. But I would also have had the things I have mentioned in mind, and I might not have done it. I don't know. I just know how much I love when I can get the first in a series really cheap..
    Reading now:
    C.S.Marks - Elfhunter

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #396 on: May 03, 2010, 07:46:11 am »
    Very helpful, Winter!
    (Uh, oh...hope Betsy doesn't get mad at us!)
    Well, I've gone over there and posted the questions with instructions to reply here or via pm. I might share responses with you guys.
     :D

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #397 on: May 03, 2010, 08:58:12 am »
    Rie, I hate it that the laps are so eensy! We tried everything to make them bigger. Nothing worked.
    The maps are beautiful and helpful...wish I could figure it out! :-[

Archer, supposedly the 2.5 update will allow you to zoom in on PDFs on the Kindle...maybe you could make the maps available as PDFs and people could check them out that way.

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #398 on: May 03, 2010, 09:41:40 am »
    The description, your vibrant personality and (I will admit it) the price.
    No.
    No, I don't read samples.
    Perhaps on ElfHunter - but not on the rest - we like the pictures.
    No.  While I like to read long books, they are already that.  And I like to go get the next one.
    Certainly.
    (Basically, I'm wondering whether my stuff is 'established' enough to survive the increasease
    For those of us who have already read your work, we would pay "regular" prices for it.  If I will pay $6.39 for Robin Hobb then I would also pay $6.39 for C.S. Marks. 

However, I only wound up reading Robin Hobbs because the publisher made her first book available for free - hooked me and now I am reading the rest of her books, as time permits.

So, if I had to make a choice, price Elfhunter either free or $.99 (and do what it takes to keep it there).  Then price the other books accordingly.  If you are comfortable with $2.99 then that is a nice price/point.  If you want to take the new arc and price it higher, I will pay more.

Just sayin......

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline mom2karen

• View Profile
    « Reply #399 on: May 03, 2010, 10:00:20 am »

View Profile WWW Personal Message (Online)

Reply #387 on: Today at 05:33:08 AM
       Reply with quoteQuote
    Oh, Geoff! So sorry to hear that.
    I am, as you know, a Professor of Equine Science by trade.
    I am also known at our institution as the 'Helmet Nazi'.

'Nough said.

HEY, guys...there's a really important question I want to ask you. When the new restructuring goes into effect, I am considering putting all three books at 2.99 each.

Here are the questions:
    Your book was the first one I paid for, the other 100+ were all free.  I bought it because of the discussions on here, but I can't remember if I did the sample or not.

2. Having read it, do you believe you would be unhappy if you had paid 2.99?  No

3. Do you believe you would have purchased it for 2.99 to begin with, if you had read the sample and such?  If I had read the sample I would have paid 2.99 because it sucked me in.  But getting me to read samples for books that cost $ is difficult because I can find so much free stuff to read.  I'm getting better about buying indie books, but do tend to stick to the .99 and under for a new author.

Can you have 2 versions, one for .99 with no pics and one for 2.99 with pics?

Unless the price was significantly less than the price for the 3 I prefer the books to be separate.  Especially with the huge size of your books, the % read wold move so slowly!

Yes!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement