Kindle Forum banner

Elves just want to have fun!

82K views 1K replies 28 participants last post by  Winter9 
#1 ·
The prizes have been awarded but we're not quite ready to end the conversation and the fun!

A number of Kindle Boarders have been playing with one of our favorite Kindle authors, archer, in a Book Bazaar thread called "The Elves are in a giving mood...again!".  So we've decided to relocate here and continue the fun!

If you're a fan of Alterra, a friend/fan of archer's - or just plain curious - jump in!

#3 ·
Good morning, ibrewalot!  Thanks for coming over - I hope we can get everyone to move over here and continue the fun!  Hoping to see some more trivia questions from archer soon (hint hint)

How's your weather?  Wet and getting colder here in Texas...  a good day to stay indoors and read on my Kindle!

#4 ·
Hi All, I will be here mostly in spirit as our two granddaughters are visiting this week. It is currently sunny here and already over 51 F. It will be hot by this afternoon and I have not planted the vegetable garden yet. I hope that is one of the things the granddaughters would like to help with.

#7 ·
Yep.  We were at the park a few weeks ago and the kids kept finding caterpillars crawling across the path.  They would move it 20' away and find another one a few minutes later.  There must have been a whole herd of the suckers.  We took one home planning on researching what it ate and put it in a large bug holder.  That evening it crawled to the top and hung in the j in preparation for chrysalis.  We checked on it often and saw the transformation.  Two days ago it hatched and has been in the butterfly pavilion.  It's supposed to eat rotten fruit and oak sap.  But it doesn't seem to like our fruit so we need to find it some oak trees in the wild.  

#8 ·
Hi, guys!  Been working all day...no chance to post. I'm here now, though! And nobody will mind if we prattle on over here, because it's NOT the bazaar.  :D

OKAY, kcrady...I've never managed to stump you on an Alterran question--why not see whether you can stump ME! Ask me a question related to Alterra that you think might be difficult to answer.

In the meantime, I'll work on some more for you.

#10 ·
Okay - thought about this, and I'm not sure how I can stump you...  after all, it's your world!  So you may have to create an answer for me...

Everyone gets into trouble at some point while growing up.  Tell me about some mischief that Gaelen and Nelwyn got into when they were children!

#11 ·
Well, because Gaelen is nearly thirty years older than Nelwyn, they really weren't 'children' together, but they did get into mischief (mostly Gaelen's fault, as you can imagine). There was a rather apocalyptic incident involving Gaelen, Nelwyn, Llewellys, Ri-Aruin, a very deep hole, and a skunk...

#13 ·
Gaelen nearly got herself thrown in the klink over THAT one.

(She and Nelwyn and another friend of theirs (Cuingael) dug a trap to ensnare Llewellys, whom Cuingael fancied. He had been shunning her, so she wanted to ensnare him and then 'happen along' and conveniently free him, for which he would be eternally grateful and treat her better--so they hoped. Unfortunately, Ri-Aruin came looking for Llewellys and fell into the trap by mistake, which (to everyone's surprise) contained a rather irate skunk who had wandered into it the night before.)

Oh dearie dear!

#14 ·
archer said:
Gaelen nearly got herself thrown in the klink over THAT one.

(She and Nelwyn and another friend of theirs (Cuingael) dug a trap to ensnare Llewellys, whom Cuingael fancied. He had been shunning her, so she wanted to ensnare him and then 'happen along' and conveniently free him, for which he would be eternally grateful and treat her better--so they hoped. Unfortunately, Ri-Aruin came looking for Llewellys and fell into the trap by mistake, which (to everyone's surprise) contained a rather irate skunk who had wandered into it the night before.)

Oh dearie dear!
LOL oh my goodness LOL :eek:

#15 ·
Evening all...been a busy day with CubScouts all day.  My oldest got his Arrow of Light, the final rank in Cubs before moving to Boy Scouts and then I went to a dinner where I got my Wood Badge Award, the highest training a Scout Leader can receive.  You attend 2 3-day weekends , work on a project made up of 5 parts for 18 months and the get the award!  Long road, but all good stuff.

Weather here has been absolutely beautiful...especially coming off of winter. (No offense, Winter9   ;))  It was 70 and sunny.  We usually get the Texas weather a couple of days later, so I guess I'll enjoy the weekend.

#19 ·
Gorgon's friend was The Old One, long held captive by Lord Wrothgar.  His elvish name was Halladin and he was responsible for teaching Gorgon to speak the language of the elves.  Gorgon killed The Old One under orders of Lord Wrothgar.

Good night everyone!

#20 ·
I had a busy day with the granddaughters. I am currently in the next room where I can hear the older one reading to the younger one. :D We started the day working in the garden and switched to indoor activities when it became too warm outside. The youngest wanted to learn loom knitting and the older one decided to learn as well. The youngest is knitting a purse, the other is knitting a pillow, and I started a scarf to learn a new technique. In between there was eating, cooking, more eating, and DVDs (watching while knitting). I am still working on removing a virus (Trojan) from DH's computer. I believe the computer is now clean and am waiting for a final scan to finish.

#21 ·
Well done, k!

I would love to write Halladin's back-story sometime. He was an interesting fellow. His life was truly difficult (as one might imagine), but he was one of the strongest-willed Elves ever born, which is why he managed to stay alive. Wrothgar never managed to 'break' him (though he didn't know that).

Anna: What a lovely evening (except for the virus, of course). Oooo...I HATE those things! They just make everything hard. Hope the scan finished up with all flags green!

#22 ·
Good morning!

I'll be popping in and out of the forums today...  some errands to run, and I've just gotten started playing with Ancestry.com.  It's fascinating, you plug in a few names and dates, and then Ancestry.com starts digging for links.  You follow one, that leads to another and before you know it hours have passed.  Last night I managed to track down 7 generations on my grandmother's (mom's mother) side of the family.

#24 ·
I had planned to write a series of short novellas called 'Tales of the Skulking Raven' (if you've read Ravenshade, you know what that means).
A few ideas:
Back-stories of: Azori and Azok, El-Morah, Orogond and Galador, Halladin, Shandor, Magra, and Rain.
The back-story behind the allusion to Hallagond's 'lost love'.
How Gaelen and Llewellys came to be very good friends (he was six at the time).

#25 ·
Archer, those back stories would be great to read!

Apparently Grandma and Grandpa (me and DH ;D) wore out the granddaughters so much yesterday that, at 9:30 AM, they are both still asleep. I will wake them soon. :D The virus scan seemed green last night but this morning the problem reappeared. There is more work to be done. GRRR!

#26 ·
kcrady, you amaze me with your knowledge of Alterra lore.  

Archer, oh, yes please!  If you run out of ideas for backstories, I'm sure we could come up with tons.    

ibrew, congratulations to both of you.  

Annalog, computer viruses are worse than people viruses.  Good luck getting rid of it.  

I think we're going to have a slow day here.  Karen  is having breakfast in bed while she reads, and I'm about to reread Celtic Evil before I read the sequel.  I'm watching a neighbor kid at 3 and won't get reading in after he comes over.  He's  bit of a handful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.