Kindle Forum banner

Elves just want to have fun!

82K views 1K replies 28 participants last post by  Winter9 
#1 ·
The prizes have been awarded but we're not quite ready to end the conversation and the fun!

A number of Kindle Boarders have been playing with one of our favorite Kindle authors, archer, in a Book Bazaar thread called "The Elves are in a giving mood...again!".  So we've decided to relocate here and continue the fun!

If you're a fan of Alterra, a friend/fan of archer's - or just plain curious - jump in!

#130 ·
Thank you Carolyn :D

And thank you Archer! I will talk to my sis. Not sure how much time she has to do a book club though,  but will definitely talk to her. At least we will read at the same time, but I really want to join the book club. Maybe I could take a sneek peak, reading the chapters for the book club. I will just be maybe a chapter or something ahead of her. We will see. It will be fun! And of course we will take good care of you! You are the best! :D

#131 ·
Hey, folks,

in reading through this thread, it probably ought to be in either the Book Corner, or better yet, in the new Book Klub for the Elfhunter series!  After all, you are discussing Archer's books.  Would anyone object to my moving it to one of those places?

Betsy
;D

#133 ·
If you think it's appropriate there, I guess I don't mind - but we do talk about things other than archer's books here.  It was intended as purely social.  I imagine most of the book talk will move to the Book Klub when it starts up.

Anyone else have an opinion?

#135 ·
Betsy, we sort of bonded during Archer's giveaways where we had to chat to increase the post counts.  We began to have ramblings on pets, food, hobbies, kids... as well as talk about books.  Archer's books have been the most common, but I can see that spreading out as the group develops.  As you can see Carolyn's books are getting talked about currently.  I think the not quite kindle is a good place for it.

Thanks Carolyn, I picked it up at Amazon today.  I do have a question about Markul years vs World years.  In the first chapter you wrote...  

Ryel - By the reckoning of Markul he was twelve years old, a mere child; by the reckoning of the World he was twice that and two years more.

Edris - In the reckoning of Markul he had died young, on the threshold of his thirtieth year. Even the World would have deemed him dead too soon at fifty-eight

I would have expected Edris to be over 60.  Based on Ryel I figured one Markul year is equal to 2 1/6 World years.  If Edris was 29 that would make 29x2=58 + about 5 years for the extra 1/6 for 63.  

I haven't read past the first few pages so this might be answered further in the book.

#136 ·
Ugh!  Nice weather to cozy up next to that fireplace!  Or come on down to Texas, it's been mild and sunny here.  We're looking at sunny weather with temps in the low to mid 70's tomorrow.

#138 ·
I also think the thread fits Not Quite Kindle.

DH and I are taking the granddaughters back to our daughter tomorrow, a bit earlier than we expected, since the youngest has softball practice in the afternoon and a game the following day. Both the girls are happy with their completed knitting projects. The oldest granddaughter and I helped finish the purse started by the youngest so that she could take it on our trip to the zoo and to see Alice in Wonderland (in 2D). Other than my still unsuccessful attempts to completely clean viruses from DH's computer, it has been a great week.

Carol, thanks for letting us know about The Ryel Saga. I found I had samples of Wysard and Lord Brother that I had never read. Now I can read the complete version instead. :D

#139 ·
archer said:
Fine...rub it in!
I might actually be going to Texas 'ere long...I have to pick up one of my dogs.
Texas is a big state - but if you find yourself in the vicinity of Austin, please let me know!

#141 ·
mom2karen said:
As you can see Carolyn's books are getting talked about currently. I think the not quite kindle is a good place for it.

Thanks Carolyn, I picked it up at Amazon today. I do have a question about Markul years vs World years. In the first chapter you wrote...
Ryel - By the reckoning of Markul he was twelve years old, a mere child; by the reckoning of the World he was twice that and two years more.
Edris - In the reckoning of Markul he had died young, on the threshold of his thirtieth year. Even the World would have deemed him dead too soon at fifty-eight
I would have expected Edris to be over 60. Based on Ryel I figured one Markul year is equal to 2 1/6 World years. If Edris was 29 that would make 29x2=58 + about 5 years for the extra 1/6 for 63.

I haven't read past the first few pages so this might be answered further in the book.
mom2karen, I'm delighted you're reading my book, and it's my great hope you enjoy it.

Studying the Art in Markul is the beginning of a new life, so birth is considered to occur the moment an aspirant enters its gates. As noted in the opening lines, "Ryel had lived within its walls for nearly half of his birth-life. By the reckoning of Markul he was twelve years old, a mere child; by the reckoning of the World he was twice that and two years more." Thus he's 26 years old when the story begins, and has spent a dozen years learning the Art. Edris would have been 28 when he first came to Markul, which would still be considered very young for a wysard of that City; Ryel's youth is unprecedented, but there are reasons for that.

I'd also mention that I use a capital letter for World only when wysards refer to the land outside their walls, since they feel distanced by their Art from the rest of humankind; and City specifically refers to the four Art-fortresses at each of the compass points.

I'll admit math was never my strong suit, but I loved writing the book. I hope it shows!

#142 ·
Annalog said:
Carol, thanks for letting us know about The Ryel Saga. I found I had samples of Wysard and Lord Brother that I had never read. Now I can read the complete version instead. :D
I'm grinning ear to ear. :D Thank you! The combined version really is the book I always wanted, and I hope you enjoy it.

#143 ·
If you all want to keep it here and NOT talk about the books or book trivia, that's fine.  A gentle reminder then that author self promotion is not allowed outside the Book Bazaar.  Every author has a book thread in which to make announcements about their books and to discuss the books with fans.

If members want to talk about books, the Book Corner is the place!  Feel free to start a thread about the books you want to talk about.  If you want to talk about the Elfhunter series, the newly formed Book Klub is the place to do it.  In fact, the trivia questions would be a perfect add-on to the Book Klub questions!

Y'all haven't had a book klub before, but in other book klubs, it turned out to be a kind of klub house where we discussed all kinds of things tangentially related to the book.  For example, in the Outlander Klub, we spent a lot of time discussing who to cast in the movie.  ;D

Thanks!

Betsy

#144 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
If you all want to keep it here and NOT talk about the books or book trivia, that's fine. A gentle reminder then that author self promotion is not allowed outside the Book Bazaar. Every author has a book thread in which to make announcements about their books and to discuss the books with fans.

If members want to talk about books, the Book Corner is the place! Feel free to start a thread about the books you want to talk about. If you want to talk about the Elfhunter series, the newly formed Book Klub is the place to do it. In fact, the trivia questions would be a perfect add-on to the Book Klub questions!

Y'all haven't had a book klub before, but in other book klubs, it turned out to be a kind of klub house where we discussed all kinds of things tangentially related to the book. For example, in the Outlander Klub, we spent a lot of time discussing who to cast in the movie. ;D

Thanks!

Betsy
Point taken, Betsy. :)

I admit I enjoyed this thread, but from now on whoever's interested in my books is invited to bump me in the Bazaar, since I don't have enough of a fan base (yet!) for a Klub.

Good wishes,

CK

#145 ·
Mornings!

I overslept way today  :mad: I hate when I do that. But I will make the best out of it. Have lots of study reading to do today!
What are you guys doing today?

#146 ·
Winter: I am (hopefully) writing today. The bad weather cleared out this morning (thank goodness). Now it's cold, but sunny! I might try that soup recipe Carolyn posted...it's supposed to be cold and rainy all weekend. At least the hubs is coming home after being gone for a week. I hate it when he's gone. His chores plus mine makes for a really early morning.   :p

'Mom': She was being evaluated by a handler-friend of mine as a potential show dog. I was supposed to get her back in February at the Indy shows, but the weather was so bad my friend couldn't make it. I have to drive to Texas to get her. Phooey.
To top it off, her attitude in the ring isn't as positive as it needs to be, so she will now come home and make puppies for me once in a great while. (We breed Pembroke Corgis. I plan a litter maybe every two years or so. We had one last summer...gorgeous puppies. I might repeat that breeding next year. Izzy (the dog in Texas) is unproven as yet, but she is a gorgeous little diva and I expect her to have enchanting puppies.)

#147 ·
Morning all.

I'll weigh in on Betsy's proposal to move the thread. 
I'll find the thread no matter where it is -- makes no real difference to me.
However, according to the "rules"  if we leave it here we may be somewhat limited in what we talk about , especially with respect to books.
If we move it we're free to take discussions wherever we want without any hint of restriction.
Being in the Klub we can discuss Archer's books, other's books, how they relate, how they don't, etc. etc.
We also have less of a risk of getting Archer in the proverbial hot water for self promotion in the general threads.

Bottom line -- if it gets moved we have more freedom to take it wherever we want.

Just my thoughts....

#148 ·
Tip:

I agree. I certainly don't want to have to look over my shoulder worrying about responding to a question about a book.
Seriously. I don't.
I only like hot water when it's MY idea! (I could use some right now...haven't had the morning shower yet.)
:)

And, as Carolyn suggests, there's always the one promotional thread in the Bazaar for others to find. Feel free to use it, as well.

#149 ·
I just want to make it clear that no one is in any hot water about this thread.  I should never post at 1:40 am or whatever it was. 

There was no thought by anyone in our smoke filled rooms that Archer was guilty of self promotion.  It was just meant as a gentle reminder if the thread was going to remain here, that there shouldn't be any. 

When I started reading the thread, with all the Alterra trivia, I really thought the Book Corner was the place for it as a fan thread and still kinda do, if we didn't have the book klub forum.  But if it's just a kind of "good morning" thread for Alterra fans, you're right this is the place for it.  And an occasional straying off topic is no problem just as it wouldn't be anywhere.  The problem is that it's a kind of hybrid of book and "good morning" thread.  Which means it probably fits best now in the Book Klub thread.  Again, think about the Book Klub as your party house!

Hope this helps, didn't mean to be a party pooper, just trying to be consistent in how I deal with author/fan threads.

Betsy

#150 ·
Betsy,

I apologize for the suggestion of party-poopage. If we can be social here, we can be social somewhere else--lead and we'll follow. I'll be a lot more comfortable if we don't have to worry about 'drifting thread' syndrome. Anything goes in the Book Klub, I expect.

If you move it there none of us will have to worry, including other authors whose books are mentioned and who want to field questions about them. It's a 'safe' place.  :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.