Kindle Forum banner

Elves just want to have fun!

82K views 1K replies 28 participants last post by  Winter9 
#1 ·
The prizes have been awarded but we're not quite ready to end the conversation and the fun!

A number of Kindle Boarders have been playing with one of our favorite Kindle authors, archer, in a Book Bazaar thread called "The Elves are in a giving mood...again!".  So we've decided to relocate here and continue the fun!

If you're a fan of Alterra, a friend/fan of archer's - or just plain curious - jump in!

#677 ·
Hey dear Archer (and the rest of you)

My prayers are with you and they!  God bless you!

I don't have so many words, but I hope everything will work out fine (or as fine as it can)

I have been with a friend for two data and haven't been all that much on internet. I'm fine here, still waiting for my sis to finish her book. She should br finish soon. We will be spending st. Hans together. Do you celebrate st. Hans?

Hugs for all og you!

#678 ·
Hey guys...I wasn't whining, really. But it IS so good to hear from you. I was just a little down this morning.
You know, another friend of mine is in the midst of a very bad marital situation. He's considering a divorce. His comment to me was that for one brief hour on father's day his life was normal and without problems. I replied that some people I know would have given ANYTHING for one worry-free hour. I told him of my friend's plight, and he took my point. The last thing he said to me was: 'Perhaps I should give my wife another chance'.

Things like this help me to put my problems in perspective. Everything can be taken from us at any time. That's why it's so important to cherish the people we care about, to enjoy life together. THANKS for your support. It means so much!  :)

Winter: What is St. Hans Day? We don't celebrate it here as far as I know, although Norwegian communities might. Please educate us! :D

#679 ·
archer said:
...Things like this help me to put my problems in perspective. Everything can be taken from us at any time. That's why it's so important to cherish the people we care about, to enjoy life together. ...
This is so very true. When the opportunity arose for me to take my mom on a vacation to Sedona for just the two of us, I did not hesitate, especially as it took her away from home at a difficult time. I feel so fortunate that my mom and I enjoy each other's company and that we are both fit enough to hike. (Currently Mom is fitter than I am when it comes to hiking uphill. :D)

#680 ·
I haven't yet taken pics of the PC I won the contest with, but I do have pics of what I did with the new processor I won...

Here's the new case (very understated, all black, stealthy!)

And here's the insides with the BEAST of a processor cooler, 3 hard drives, 6 gigabytes of memory and 2 video cards working together:

I'll get pics of the Guinness case I won the contest with up soon...it's VERY different.

#681 ·
Hahaha! Now THAT'S an impressive refrigerator!

Annalog: SO glad you had a great time with your mom! Mine's way past hikung age (she's 85) but I try to call her every day and visit often. I bought her a kindle last Christmas and have been filling it up with 'surprise' books ever since. She loves it. Because I kept the account, I can order books for her whenever the spirit moves me and she doesn't have to pay for them!  :)

My best friend and I had a pair of Australian Shepherds, females, littermates. Mine was red; hers was black. We loved them to pieces and took them on many camping/hiking trips. One summer, we drove cross-country with 'the girls' (as they were known) and they had the time of their lives. I did not know that Amber (my dog) was developing a fatal lymphoma--we found that out when we got back. But I was SO glad for that last great trip. I'll always remember her as the happy vagabond, seeing the world with her sister and her two favorite people.  :D

#682 ·
Archer, it is great that you had that trip with Amber, her sister, and your best friend. I am very glad that I had this trip with my mom. My mom is 78; we now need to be careful of the types of trails we hike. Large steps, especially down, are beginning to be a problem. There were a couple places where Mom wished she had brought one of her walking sticks (normally carried in case of meeting javalina, coyotes, or agressive dogs  :eek:). I was able to provide the necessary support in those spots instead. ;)

#683 ·
Hey Archer and everyone!  I am really excited.  I ordered myself a Kindle ;D.  It's not here yet, but I'm ready for it!  With the price drop, and then the refurbs, and then I discovered that there is a 20% discount if you go from Kindleboards to the refurbs, and my birthday is coming up, and...anyway, the stars were all aligning and I just had to do it.  Even my hubby told me to :eek:.  I have an iPad (it actually belongs to the office where I work), and I just don't like reading on it.  It is too heavy.  I like it for some purposes, but I think I will enjoy reading better on something the size of a Kindle.  I already own the trilogy for Kindle, so I will put it on there right away, and start re-reading it. 

#685 ·
I'll second that!! I'm currently reading a paper book -- first paper book I've had in my hands (for pleasure reading) in well over a year -- it feels really strange.....

Hope you enjoy the Kindle.

#687 ·
Tis a FANTASTIC book!

It ranks right up there with the Alterra Trilogy!!

I would love to tell everybody about it but alas, its an advanced copy and I'm sworn to secrecy at present. ;) Soon though, hopefully soon!!

#690 ·
Well, I guess my iPad must have been hit by severe depression when it heard that I had ordered a Kindle.  It will not turn on at all.  Off to the Apple-vet with it, I guess.

Oooo, I hope that paperback gets released REAL SOON, if it's the one I think it is!!!  I hope it comes out on Kindle, soon, too.

#696 ·
Know what you get if you
Post...Post...Post...Corner Post
Post...Post...Post...Corner Post?

A 32 foot x 32 foot corral with no gate!  :eek:

How many posts you need Archer. I've set my fair share but probably not as many as you!!

#699 ·
I've missed everyone on here.  We've been busy and I'm trying to cut down on my computer time to set a good example for dd. 

We flew our 182 to Columbia, CA for the Father's Day Fly In and had a great time.  DH talked to every pilot there and ogled the planes.  I lazed in the campground reading my Kindle, and dd played with bunches of kids. 

We finished doggy class with Blizzard.  Karen worked hard with him and took first place in the fastest recall, best trick, and longest sit/stay. 

Unfortunately he's been diagnosed with Demodex Mites and his hair is falling out and he's scratching like crazy.  We're trying Promeris and hopefully that will take care of them.  The mites aren't usually a problem with dogs his age so there may be an underlying medical problem.  We're going to do some blood work next month to see if anything pops up. 

#700 ·
mom2karen said:
Unfortunately he's been diagnosed with Demodex Mites and his hair is falling out and he's scratching like crazy. We're trying Promeris and hopefully that will take care of them. The mites aren't usually a problem with dogs his age so there may be an underlying medical problem. We're going to do some blood work next month to see if anything pops up.
Poor Blizzard! I remember when Archer had a dog with Demodex Mites. It was terrible, but once they were cleared up they never came back. I am sure the treatments are better than they were then (how long ago was that, Archer?).

#701 ·
Carmyn, I believe that was sometime during the cretaceous period. The treatment was called 'Scott's Solution'. It was barbaric--you could only dip a third of the dog at a time. However...not only did she never get mange again, but she never had trouble with fleas, ticks, or anything ELSE. (This was in the days before Advantage, etc.) She probably glowed in the dark, too. She lived a long and happy life, though. One of the best dogs I ever had.

Bob is not feeling well today...it's really hot and he has growing pains (growing like CRAZY!). He's been sleeping in the house under the foot of my recliner all afternoon. We put up hay this morning. Loft is stuffed full of beautiful grass. I can get all you want if you want some, Carmyn.

Mom: GOOD to hear from you! Sounds like busy and fun times. Sorry to hear about Blizzard, though. Treatments are much better now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.