Author Topic: Is Amazon double paying for KU books checked out in June/read in July?  (Read 465 times)  

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
  • Author, Parks Commissioner
    • View Profile
My book "The Little Book of Gold" had 18 check outs in KU and KOLL in June. Then Amazon pulled the book from Select at the end of the month because Flipkart never took it down (side note: aaarrrghh. Smashwords has been great talking to, but c'mon, Flipkart. It's been a month since you got the notice.

Anyway, the book was pulled from KU before July.

And so far it's had 228 pages read in July. That means that I know for sure those pages read came from books checked out in June.

Maybe Amazon has a way to correct for this, but it seems like Amazon is double paying me. Will I get credit for the borrow in June AND the pages read in July for the same book? Anyone know?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
      • View Profile
    For all you know, the reads are coming from books checked out months ago but never read past the 10 percent mark. You're not getting paid twice. It's an either/or situation.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline Dolphin

• Under the Sea
    • Skree'ee--eee, eeek!
      • View Profile
    For all you know, the reads are coming from books checked out months ago but never read past the 10 percent mark. You're not getting paid twice. It's an either/or situation.

Yes...but no, not necessarily. Suppose that a reader borrowed the book in June, or May, or whenever, and did read past the 10% mark, triggering an official borrow. Suppose further that the reader never finished the book, but is still working on it here in July. It's quite possible that the OP is double-dipping.

The thing is that this applies to everybody equally. The OP might rack up a few hundred or thousand pages like this, but Yoda's probably going to have tens of thousands. Because Yoda is terrifying.

Ultimately the only thing it influences is the size of your slice of each Global Fund pie. Any money you get out of double-dipping is just money that would've otherwise went to other authors whose books weren't borrowed and read to 10% before July, and frankly I think you're better than them. You deserve it. Just don't spend it all in one place, OP.

I don't think it's in error, or will be corrected. Eventually the system will correct itself as paid KU1 borrows are returned. It's just one of those idiosyncratic problems that isn't really a problem, but would become one if you tried to fix it.

Offline 75845

• View Profile
    I would imagine (and imagination is all that we have to go on) that a 10% borrow in June is marked as the equivalent of a buy so that you do not earn any per page payments for that book. Similar to under KU 1.0 where you could buy a book you had borrowed, but not borrow a book you had bought.
    « Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:56:32 pm by Mercia McMahon »

Offline David Wisehart

• View Profile
      • Character Secrets
    When people leave KU, those who borrowed your book when it was in the system still have it, and may choose to open and read it much later, so those leaving KU and going wide could continue to see income for pages read.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement